It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• 12 days - so far-pretty good

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
    wyoeds

wyoeds HB User
    12 days - so far-pretty good

I had posted my story last week and this is my 12th day clean from a 3-4 year Ultram addiction.
    Feeling fairly well physically. Still don't have a lot of energy. However most physical symptoms (aches, pains, etc.) have subsided. Still in a little of a "fog" though.
    I felt better Saturday than Sunday. Yesterday I was anxious, depressed and cranky with my wife.

Sleep (or the lack thereof) is the biggest complaint now. Saturday night was awful. Couldn't get comfortable...felt like I was laying in a bunch of burlap sacks. Last night was a little better, but not much. Managed to stay in the bed but woke up every hour in a new pool of sweat...

Are there others that have problems like this sleeping?

Trying to stay positive. Busy day at work, which makes it a little easier.

Hope all of you are having as good a day as your condition allows.

Dan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
    Re: 12 days - so far-pretty good

You're doing outstanding!! As far as the sleep goes... I read about it on the boards about that being the number one complaint after all of the major physical symptoms subside... I think the sleep problem lasts a little longer than everything else but you should be getting close, just hang in there a little longer. Whenever I cold turkeyed - I never had a problem because I was taking xanax at night to help. However, I don't advise that as it is extremely addicting. If you can get just about one or two weeks worth, then it might help... either that or Ambien. Again, you don't want to take either of these drugs for more than a week - 10 days. After that... NO MORE! As you know, addicts can very easily just change their drugs of choice just to ensure they continue to escape reality so be careful. Also, be HAPPY that you are making it! What about meetings or counseling? I know we discussed this before... have you thought any more about it?
    Again - great job and if you can go through this and work, you can do anything!!

Old 02-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
    NeverAgain

NeverAgain HB User

Wyoeds,

Awesome Job! I am now on day 18 and the sleeping is slowly coming back to me. For the first two weeks, I would lay in bed and feel like my legs were on fire.The thing that has helped me is taking HOT,HOT baths right before I get in bed. I just wanted to let you know in the next few days I think it will get a little better. Everyone says this and that helps during recovery, but the one thing that will make us truly better is time. Just think of the Hell we went through the first week. I cannot let myself ever go through that again. Even after two weeks I can remember telling myself, that if being clean makes me feel like this, I would rather be back on pills. This feeling soon passed and I am starting to not think so much about the pills anymore(Thank GOD).Always remember some things only time can heal! I know we can all beat this thing and regain our lives.

B

Old 02-02-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
    sammi

sammi HB User

Hi Dan, Congratulations on making it to day 12! I am on day 8, and I am feeling pretty good. I think today has been the best day both physically and mentally. Although, I will agree with you about the "lack of energy". My husband called his nutritionist to find out what I could do "naturally" to boost my energy level and I think it has helped somewhat. I try not to give too much advice being I am new to this road of recovery, but I thought it may be something you would like to try. He was told to first make sure I am drinking plenty of water. Six to eight glasses of water a day. Being dehydrated can make you feel like you have no energy. Also, since I have been on such a food binge during this recovery and eating and drinking any and everything in site, I was told to stay away from sodas and candy. For these will make you feel good for about an hour and then your blood sugar drops and then you feel yucky again. Have a banana or apple with peanut butter for snacks. I also have been eating plain white crackers with peanut butter on them. I was told boiled eggs are also good. And lots of fruits. Hopefully this will help you because honestly, it has seemed to really help me. I have other foods of "energy" to share if anyone wants additional info. Like I said earlier, I try not to give to much advice, but I thought this may help.
    Also, Congratulations to you NeverAgain! Keep up the good work!
    Sammi

Old 02-02-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
    TryingToSmile

TryingToSmile HB User
    Cool Re: 12 days - so far-pretty good

Hey, good job so far in your recovery. You are probably going to continue feeling a little better each and every day. It sounds like the biggest symptom you are having is the sleep problem. I know everyone has an opinion on taking Benzo's, thinking its trading one addiction for another, but whenever I've had to CT, I am very fortunate to have a script for Xanax. It reallys help me sleep (just a small dose). I never take it regularly. I just have never been interested in benzos. They make me so tired, I would never want to abuse them. The opiates bring me "up," and thats what I always liked. So don't immediately rule out a small dose of a benzo for a short time to get you through the next couple tough nights. Its hard to feel good during the day when you are completely lacking in sleep. It makes the withdrawal symptoms feel like they are lingering on and on because you are so tired all day. I think sleep is absolutely necessary to equip you with the focus of staying clean. I've lapsed many a time because I was tired, and wanted a 'pick-up.' I think this recovery process has been the easiest becauseif I stuck to a routine, am getting enough sleep, drinking LOTS of water and eating healthy foods. I am not in the clear yet by any means, and my WD's were certainly nasty. When I say this recovery has been the easiest (I've tried this 2 times before, and am determined to put a stop to it now!) I definitely don't mean its been 'easy.' I came off the Fentanyl Patch for the first time this go-round, which is stronger than Heroin, and it has been very difficult and physically uncomfortable.

Here are a couple of options I'd consider addressing the sleep issue:

I don't remember you saying whether you have a doctor that knows any of this, but this is what I've done before since I simply cannot confide in my doctor (He's so incompetent!) I've gone to my doc, telling him that I am feeling overly anxious about something in my life, and haven't slept in 2 weeks. Tell him you want to try the most conservative approach to helping with your sleep. Make sure you protect your sobriety by telling him that this is something SHORT-TERM, and that you do not want the script filled again after a month because you feel very strongly about not taking medicine any longer than absolutely necessary. He/she might likely suggest Ambien, as I believe doctors prefer it over benzo's (they think its less addictive, but I've read of lots of people on the boards have problems if they stay on Ambien for months, years, etc, so that why I say make a point of saying you only want a months worth, with no refills). After 12+ days of total sobriety, and finally getting some sleep, you are bound to feel better each and every day.

Another option would be to try simple OTC Benedryl. Benedryl's main ingredient is exactly what is in Tylenol PM, and all the other OTC nighttime sinus/allergy meds. The good thing is, the bendryl doesn't have the tylenol, or aspirin those other OTC products have. It always helps me sleep, and I know it works for a lot of people. I used to work in a juvenile residential group home with girls ages 15-18, and all of them had sleep problems, mostly from emotional strain of living there, and all the crap happening with their families, and 80% of them were presribed Benedryl to take a half-hour before bed. They didn't realize that what they were taking was Benedryl (it had the generic name on the bottles) so they always just called it their 'sleeping pills.' I never agreed with letting these girls depend on this medication from the time they are very young, but my doc told me there is nothing at all dangerous about this, since its non-habit forming, you don't build a tolerance, and that if you do actually have minor sinus or allergy problems (like animals in the house that bug you, or dust), it will help you feel better in the morning! I still wasn't convinced these girls should take it for years at at time, but he and I agreed to disagree.

ANYHOW....if I were you, I'd try the benedryl first for a few nights, since its the safest, cheapest, OTC product. If that doesn't help, try the doctor thing to get Ambien and try that for a week. If that fails, consider a small dose of a benzo med, but under doctor supervision. I know some people say 'you can live without sleep,' but for me, I feel crazy when I'm over tired. Being sleep deprived for days at a time reduces my quality of life SO bad. And I know I am lucky that I haven't had much sleep problems this time detoxing, but I've been there before and I feel ya! I always felt dragging during the day, and that made me more tempted to use opiates again, because at least they would help give me energy. Being clean, and well-rested is ABSOLUTELY much better than being newly clean, and overly exhausted, dragging, fatigued, and inable to exercise, or do anything else because you are so sleep-deprived (not to mention its soooo dangerous to drive when you are tired...I know this because I totaled my car because of falling asleep at the wheel...I had stayed up for a few days studying for finals all night). So, I do think a lack of sleep can definitely kill you. The lack of sleep caused the car accident, and this is where I started in on pain pills because I messed my neck up really bad. So as you can tell, I feel strongly about including sleep as a very important priority in recovery, because without it, you can become frustrated and tired, and give into the craving eventually to help you function!

Good luck, and if there is anything else I can help with, let me know. I know I appear 'new' on these boards, but thats only because I changed my handle recently. Unfortunately, I have way too much experience and knowledge about all this. I guess the good things that come out of that is that maybe I can help someone else on the board.

Take care, and I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

Tryin'

Old 02-02-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Dan, I just wanted to say congratulations!! Amazing job. For me the mental part will always be harder than the physical part. keep us posted as you start passing through the other side of the fog (you will). Helps those of us who can't see through to the other side yet.

rosie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wyoeds
    I had posted my story last week and this is my 12th day clean from a 3-4 year Ultram addiction.
    Feeling fairly well physically. Still don't have a lot of energy. However most physical symptoms (aches, pains, etc.) have subsided. Still in a little of a "fog" though.
    I felt better Saturday than Sunday. Yesterday I was anxious, depressed and cranky with my wife.

Sleep (or the lack thereof) is the biggest complaint now. Saturday night was awful. Couldn't get comfortable...felt like I was laying in a bunch of burlap sacks. Last night was a little better, but not much. Managed to stay in the bed but woke up every hour in a new pool of sweat...

Are there others that have problems like this sleeping?

Trying to stay positive. Busy day at work, which makes it a little easier.

Hope all of you are having as good a day as your condition allows.

Dan

Closed Thread