It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Is it possible to control hydrocodone use

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
    Justin77

Justin77 HB User
    Is it possible to control hydrocodone use

Hey I'm new here and have a question. I recently started taking hydrocodone pills about 2-3 times a week just for the feeling. I'm 26 and have been an alcoholic, weed smoker, and cocaine user since I was 15. I'm sick of that kind of lifestyle so 10 days ago I checked into a detox place and have quit the drinking, weed smoking, and hard drug use. However I feel like I need something every now and then to relax. So I have stuck with this Hydrocodone thing that I started about a month ago. I take about 8-10 pills of 10/325 strength hydrocodone 2 or 3 days a week. It is great for relaxation. I also take xanax with about the same frequency. So far I have no ill effects from this like I did with the alcohol and drug use. Am I playing with fire here or do you guys think I can keep it at this level and be ok?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
    Christin

Christin HB User
    Re: Is it possible to control hydrocodone use

You ARE playing with fire. Hydrocodone is an opiate, very much like heroin. I'm sure most people here would concur that given your status as an addict, you will certainly begin increasing the dosage, and there is no good ending. The withdrawals are insane and LONG LASTING. I am on day 9 of withdrawals, and still incapable of walking around the house or eating or sleeping. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is not a "hard" drug...pharmaceutical grade pain killers are just as bad as street stuff, and I would guess there at least as many people addicted to them as heroin, if not more. Please stop before it gets worse!

Old 02-26-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
    NeverAgain

NeverAgain HB User

I do believe many people can take pain pills in moderation and never become addicted, I'm not one of those people. Looking at your past history, I think you know you are playing with fire. Trust me you do not want to go down this road! You can just read on this board at some of the/our horror stories because of these pills. Put them down now, while you still have a choice.

B

Old 02-26-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

justin my friend you have problems that should be addressed....uno, you like to get high as we all have except this place is for people who have used drugs and have payed the piper for that usage.....i started out by eating 3 7.5 hydros and elevated until i could eat 50 and not feel that buzz...you chase the high the same as a coke user and will never find that buzz again...how naive you are to think you wont be an addict.....and what you are doing is drug abuse..thers no difference between the hydro usage and smokin dope or usin coke.....i dont think too many folks around here will condone you usin the drugs to get high...this forum is for folks who were already ther and are on the road to recovery...yes you are playing with fire and no,i dont think youll be ok keeping it at that level along with usin benzo's like xanax....people have died combining the two and thought they were within their level....and if you are sick of that kind of lifestyle why would you want to still get high...what do you need to escape from reality from....to relax...not good enough for me,sorry.........chef

Old 02-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

I am almost 33 and at around your age, I started playing w/hydro use... I would get them for real pain, but would continue to take them until the prescription was gone, even though the pain didn't last the whole time. Then, I would take one or two from a friend here and there. Before it was over, I was spending thousands of dollars a month on lortabs and taking over 20 lortab 10s per day. I was in withdrawals more times than I can count because I would run out of money. I recently filed bankruptcy because I spent all of my money on pills instead of paying my house payment. Guess what, I'm a Vice President of a bank that is a single mother with three small children. Guess what else? I watched my mother abuse drugs my whole life and she finally took too many lortabs and died from the tylenol overdose. KILLED HER! If you think you can control it, you are sadly mistaken. Why would you think you can take pain pills, one of the most addicting things ever and still be o.k.? I just don't get it... What I really don't understand is that were you awake during your detox? Did you not hear other people's stories? What was your detox like? You are an addict... whether it's drinking, coke, pot, or pain pills.... it's all about changing how you feel. You want to 'escape reality' or you are just simply bored with life and want to 'have fun'. Let me tell you... speaking from experience, I'm now on a maintenance drug called Suboxone that I will have to take probably for the rest of my life because I became so terribly addicted to pain pills. It's all the same thing... a drug is a drug is a drug!!! Hyrdos killed my mother and they almost killed me. The thing is, I knew exactly what they would do.... yet I still got addicted. THAT'S how bad they are. They will teach your brain that you cannot live your life without them and to do anything to get them, no matter what the costs are. Please, we are not being mean... we are trying to save your life. Stop them now!

Old 02-26-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
    dsny

dsny HB User

I WAS addicted to vicodins and norco's and if you are taking it for the feeling then your half way there.It's a very hard thing to come off of the longer your on it so I would think about stopping NOW!I abused them for about 2 years and I was a very heavy user and I started out just like you did.I hope for the best for you and pray you make the right decision.

Stay Strong,
    Ken

Old 02-26-2004, 02:51 PM   #7
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin77
    Hey I'm new here and have a question. I recently started taking hydrocodone pills about 2-3 times a week just for the feeling. I'm 26 and have been an alcoholic, weed smoker, and cocaine user since I was 15. I'm sick of that kind of lifestyle so 10 days ago I checked into a detox place and have quit the drinking, weed smoking, and hard drug use. However I feel like I need something every now and then to relax. So I have stuck with this Hydrocodone thing that I started about a month ago. I take about 8-10 pills of 10/325 strength hydrocodone 2 or 3 days a week. It is great for relaxation. I also take xanax with about the same frequency. So far I have no ill effects from this like I did with the alcohol and drug use. Am I playing with fire here or do you guys think I can keep it at this level and be ok?

Dude, wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!! Sure, getting high is great, don't let anyone tell you that it is not. I crack up each time that the DARE program comes to our classroom and tells us how bad drugs are. Everyone wants to feel good and darn it all, drugs make you feel good, for awhile and then as you know, you are chasing the dragon. I have been hooked on Xanax for 12 years. Every six months I go through a complete withdrawl and then don't sleep for a few days. I take a Xanax and wham, I am back to addiction. Luckily you can't die from a Xanax overdose. As for hydrocordone, that you can die from. They just don't do it for me. I take a pain pill and NADA, nothing except that I can't sleep for days. I can't say the same for my siblings. I have had a sister and a brother die from opiates and one who is an addict. I also have a niece who is a third generation addict. I guess that I am just lucky that the pills don't work for me. I have tried them all. I even tried heroin. No nodding for me. I knew that they would never work for me when I went to the emergency room for a migrane. I weigh anywhere from 100 to 110. They gave me a shot of morphine, nothing. They came in and gave me another. Again, nothing. They were worried because of my weight and the amount that they could give to me. They gave me another. At this point my eyes were bulging out, my heart was racing. I couldn't move but I couldn't shut my eyes either. I was all amped up without being able to move. NEVER again. I watch my friends do oxycontin and do the nod. We call them the oxycontin kids. I have seen these kids lose everything for the nod. I am just so glad that for some reason opiated don't do it for me. Why not stick to pot? Don't let rehab tell you how bad it is. If you can hold down a job and still smoke a little in the privacy of your own home and you feel the need to get high, a little herb is the way to go. The docs even prescribed it for my ninety year old granny.

Why take chemicals when herb is available with a script? I know, I know, I am a chemical addict, but like opiates, herb doesn't do a thing for me. Not even put me to sleep, just makes me hungry.

Old 02-26-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
    dsny

dsny HB User

You can overdose from any drug.
    [url="http://www.drug-overdose.com/xanax.htm"]http://www.drug-overdose.com/xanax.htm[/url]

Old 02-26-2004, 06:44 PM   #9
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Absolutely - My doctor told me the only thing you cannot overdose from is TUMS. You can overdose and DIE from any drug! Who in the world told you that you cannot overdose from xanax? That is really dangerous to say when it's not true. Be careful, anything can happen. We've had a member of this board die recently for overdosing on pain meds and benzos. However, my mother overdosed from hyrdos alone. No other meds were listed in her autopsy report. Drug addiction leads to death, if not stopped!

Old 02-26-2004, 07:06 PM   #10
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Banker,

If you don't mind me asking, and I probably won't be able to respond as we are getting ready for be (have to get up at 4:00), just how exactly did your mother die? In her sleep? Liver disease? How many was she taking a day? If it is not too painful, I would love to hear that whole story.

Thank you for sharing,
    michelle

Old 02-26-2004, 07:37 PM   #11
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banker
    Absolutely - My doctor told me the only thing you cannot overdose from is TUMS. You can overdose and DIE from any drug! Who in the world told you that you cannot overdose from xanax? That is really dangerous to say when it's not true. Be careful, anything can happen. We've had a member of this board die recently for overdosing on pain meds and benzos. However, my mother overdosed from hyrdos alone. No other meds were listed in her autopsy report. Drug addiction leads to death, if not stopped!
    Banker, I'd like to hear more about your mom too. But wanted to comment, ironically, my chiropractor just yesterday gave me an article about how bad tums (or any form of calcium carbonate (sp?)) used as a calcium supplement is really really bad for you! Plus, I agree, you definitely can od from xanax, although people say that it is not a sure route to suicide if you take too many, although it is not an absolute certainty, it is a high enough probability.

rosie

Old 02-26-2004, 08:11 PM   #12
    Philster2003
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Philster2003 HB User

Justin;

The answer is NO to your question.

Simply NO

Read some stories here and find that most of us started recreationally and most of us got hooked.

Answer is NO

Old 02-27-2004, 07:53 AM   #13
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Rosie - I didn't realize that... Why are they so bad for you? I have heartburn so much that's my primary source of calcium??? I remember when I was pregnant asking him how many tums I could take because I was chewing about 15 a day and he said I could chew as many as I needed, that it wasn't bad??? Oh goodness.. and I did that while I was pregnant??

Anyway - my mother... the thing is, we really don't know how many she took... She was getting them from one particular doctor who was simply a crook and he's now in jail (not because of my mother but because he simply got caught being a 'drug doctor'). Anyway, that makes me happy, that he's paying for being so horrible and giving her all of the pills. Anyway, she was getting tons from him. I remember days before her death speaking with her on the phone and I could hear in her voice that she was 'messed up'. I was very rude to her because I HATED it when she was on pills. She would go months being on them and then months being off. She was in so many rehabs I can't even tell you how many. One time, we put her in the hospital (I was very young, maybe 5) and they put her in the phyc ward. Well, the hospital was negligent and some man went into her room and raped her. Needless to say, she sued the hospital and won, but not much $$. This was kept from me my whole life because I was too young at the time for anyone to tell me what had happened. I didn't find out until after she died what really happened. I am the baby of the family... Anyway, I just remember her being messed up and I was the one that called her this particular time so when I would talk to her and realize that she was on pills, I would immediately say 'I've got to go' very rudely and hang up. I wanted her to know that I did not condone her pill usage and I was that way ANYTIME she was on pills. I just didn't even want to look at her or have anything to do with her. Of course, when I was younger, I didn't have a choice because I lived with her most of the time and I had to 'be nice' so I could go somewhere with my friends or whatever. Being alone with her was my worst fear. I hated the responsibility of trying to make sure she didn't kill herself with a cigarette or fall down the stairs or whatever. Anyway.... don't know why I went into all of that.... The thing is, we just don't know how many she was taking at the time. I do know she was definitely on a 'drug binge' which we all know what that is about. We all just assumed that she just kept taking them, maybe forgetting how many she had taken or something. We just don't know what her mindset was... We definitely know it was not suicide... it was accidental. She was married to this man who also used to get her pills and keep her doped up as much as he could, otherwise she would leave him periodically. He was a loser. She died by herself. He was working nights and when he got home, she was on the couch, sort of slumped over and she was dead. I hate to get graphic here but she had a little bit of vomit coming out of her mouth and there were pills spilled around her, like maybe she was trying to take more when she died. The autopsy report said it was liver failure from the acetametaphin (msp??). They called it 'acetametaphin poisening'. I also read where it takes several days to actually die from this... It was on a rainy Friday and my oldest sister called me at work, asking me to come and pick her up and take her to my mother's house. She was crying and telling me that she called over there and my mother's sister in law told her that her husband was 'trying to revive her'. Of course, my sister was crying hysterically. I just thought it was another one of those times and that they would need to take her to the hospital and have her stomach pumped (which happened more times than I can count). Anyway, I picked her up and we drove up to my mother's house. The police were there and my mother was still inside the house. They would not let either of us go inside (which I did not want to anyway). All I remember thinking was 'well, she finally did it'. I knew in my heart that it would happen one day. I absolutely knew it. She just could not control her addiction. Of course, I hated her for it. I hated her for putting pills before her children. I had so much anger because I basically was as neglected as they come growing up because of her pill usage. It was horrible. I could tell you guys so many stories of our lives literally being on the line because of her. One time I was sick at school and she didn't realize that she was going to have to be driving in the middle of the day but the school called her and told her to come and pick me up. I cannot believe she even made it to the school, she was so messed up she was shaking and her eyes were barely open. (She was abusing Soma's then). Anyway, I was about 13 and had to force her to let me drive home. It was a stick shift, which I had never driven before at all but somehow, we made it home o.k. God took care of me growing up. He was all I had and I know he was working overtime to make sure that I was mature enough and smart enough to ensure that my mother did not end up killing us all. Again, burning down the house, bringing in strange men to give her drugs, I could go on and on. It's a miracle that I'm even half way sane. And what's even more amazing is that I allowed myself to get just as addicted as her. That just shows you that addiction can happen even if you are aware of the risks, even if you've seen it first hand. It can take you and pull you straight down to hell. I often think of me treading water while I was taking pills... and then it got me and pulled me under the water. I was fighting to keep my head up and I couldn't. I didn't want my children to find me dead one day so that's why I finally went and got on Suboxone. Again, I cannot take the risk of drowning in pills so I will be on it probably forever. My goal in life, no matter what else is to ensure that my children have as normal of a life as they can. And for them to know that I love them more than life itself. I never, ever had that and I will not put them through what I went through. I was almost there, though. Moral of the story - addiction can and will happen if you play around with drugs or drinking. It WILL get you. And to all who have children - if you think they do not know what you are doing, you are dead wrong. Even extremely young children... they know! Please, either stop cold turkey or go get on Suboxone. Do whatever you have to do to get off of drugs. Again, I wish I could say that I am clean without having to have a maintenance drug but I thank God multiple times a day that I am on Suboxone. At least I'm able to be here for my children, because I certainly wasn't there for them while I was abusing pills. I really thought I was, but I wasn't. I'm sorry this post is so long, I just feel so strongly about being able to tell my story and that hopefully, it might help someone realize what they are doing to others around them, especially innocent children that cannot help it that you are there mother or father. Doesn't everyone want to be the best parent they can be? Don't screw up your childrens' lives. Not to mention, your own.

Old 02-27-2004, 05:02 PM   #14
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Banker--Unfortunately, I only have a minute to read today's messages--but I've just read your story--and it is so emotionally overwhelming (and told as if it just happened--which I'm sure you feel as if it has)--that I had to just let you know how much it touched me..and shocked me...and how saddened I felt about your "childhood"--which never was. I'll write more tomorrow. Lynn

Old 02-27-2004, 08:30 PM   #15
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsnyken
    You can overdose from any drug.
    [url="http://www.drug-overdose.com/xanax.htm"]http://www.drug-overdose.com/xanax.htm[/url]

Out of curiosity I went to that site and then followed that site to another and then down a rabbit hole of sites about Xanax but can't find one instance of a death caused directly by an overdose of Xanax. There have been ones when other factors are involved but no "Xanax related deaths" without another drug involved.

I tried to do it once to just to see if it could be done. I took the entire bottle. I just slept for a few day. I asked the docs and they told me that it couldn't be done. This is one of the reasons that it is so popular, little chance of overdosing and no reported deaths.

Closed Thread