It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Since Quitting X I see Things In A Different Way - Please Read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User
    Since Quitting X I see Things In A Different Way - Please Read

I abused Extacy for a long period of time, 7-8 a time, and had 2 very bad trips off it, now i just seem to see things in a different way

I don't know whether it's Paranoia or I might have something wrong upstairs but it's like the world is different to me now, like i'm in a game, i know it sounds stupid but it's the only way I can describe it, when I look at things it's so different to what it used to be, not always nice either

I am having mental problems too, very paranoid all the time, very anxious, always wondering what people are thinking of me, wondering if what i'm saying is the right things to say, not comfortable with my life at all

I'm just afraid that my life is gona get worse and worse, I haven't been on X for around 6-7 months and been off Pot for a week, but if i Haven't been on X for this long but i'm still in this state i'm thinking will I ever get better?

Some things that go through my mind are so wrong yet I can't help it, i HATE what i am becoming and I need help but i can't tell people some of the stuff that goes through my head because it's scary, I don't want to think some of the things I think but sometimes I can't help it

My whole life is like a game, people look so different to me, i'm spaced out most of the time, im clumsy, why does everything look so different to me nowadays!!

I don't know what to do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
    Re: Since Quitting X I see Things In A Different Way - Please Read

Hey - I'm sorry you are going through all of this. And I'm very proud of you for quitting x and pot. I have an idea... I've heard that all X does is mess w/your seratonin levels BIGTIME. An antidepressant gets your levels back in order. I would bet money that if you went and got on something like Lexepro, Proxac, Zoloft (actually, I think Zoloft was the best for ex X users) I bet you would find yourself back to normal. Is this something you would consider? You would be so surprised at how much these medications can work for you. I guarantee you that all of that X messed up your levels and they won't get back to normal until you help them along w/an antidepressant. You can go to a doc (regular md or shrink) and either tell them the truth, or tell them that you are depressed and have been for about a month and you think you need an antidepressant. I'm telling you, I really think it will work. Are you on any other medications right now? Do you drink? Let me know what you think about this idea. I promise you, I bet money it will work and you will go back to feeling really good!!

Old 03-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Legend#14
    I abused Extacy for a long period of time, 7-8 a time, and had 2 very bad trips off it, now i just seem to see things in a different way

I don't know whether it's Paranoia or I might have something wrong upstairs but it's like the world is different to me now, like i'm in a game, i know it sounds stupid but it's the only way I can describe it, when I look at things it's so different to what it used to be, not always nice either

I am having mental problems too, very paranoid all the time, very anxious, always wondering what people are thinking of me, wondering if what i'm saying is the right things to say, not comfortable with my life at all

I'm just afraid that my life is gona get worse and worse, I haven't been on X for around 6-7 months and been off Pot for a week, but if i Haven't been on X for this long but i'm still in this state i'm thinking will I ever get better?

Some things that go through my mind are so wrong yet I can't help it, i HATE what i am becoming and I need help but i can't tell people some of the stuff that goes through my head because it's scary, I don't want to think some of the things I think but sometimes I can't help it

My whole life is like a game, people look so different to me, i'm spaced out most of the time, im clumsy, why does everything look so different to me nowadays!!

I don't know what to do

Because you saw the way that it really is is my guess. Try reading "The Doors of Perception", I kid you not.
    Life would not be fun living the way that you are but that is not to say that is not the way that it is.
    Banker is right, X does mess with your serotonin levels. I would be honest with my doctor. Instead of an anti-depressant I would think that they would try you on some kind of anti-psychotic to see if that worked. If you ever talked to anyone that was psychotic or schezophrenic (sp?) they would describe what you are saying. They live that way all of the time when not on meds. LSD, mushrooms, mescaline, all mind altering drugs like X, cause a temporay psychotic break.
    If that is what you have suffered, then you would not want to take anti-depressants as they too can cause the same reaction and it would only amplify what you are already enduring. I have read over and over and talked with health professionals who work in the free clinic in SF, "do not mix anti-depressants with hallucinagenics". As you are still suffering the effects, would it be wise to try to take one to cure the other? At the clinic they use benzos to bring people down. You might discuss using those with your doc until you feel "normal" again.
    Complete honesty with a doctor is my best bet. You are not going to tell them anything that they are not already hearing everyday. X is prevelant in today's society. I go to concerts on a fairly regular basis and it is all around us.
    If you read up on these drugs you will find that, they in themselves usually aren't the culprit. They trigger chemicals in your brain that is already there. This might have happened to you anyway. Maybe X just sent you over the edge. If you research this drug you will find that it was legally used in counseling for the effect that you have, to see and feel things. You must have liked the effect when you did it or you would not have done it again, it sounds like you just got stuck in a state that you want to come back from.
    What you want is to get your brain back to the way it was? I know a lot of people who love the feeling that you are having, they crave it. They used to call it, taking off the rose colored glasses before that figure of speech was mainstreamed.
    It could be that you are going through withdrawls from not smoking pot.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:26 PM   #4
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User

Thanks for the reply guys

I have been on pot everyday for the past 2-3 years and i'm nearly 18 years old

So my head is pretty messed up, but I knew I needed to get off it

Things that I see just don't look right, it's so hard to explain but i don't feel myself, I loved X while i was on it but the bad experiences I had makes me just want to go back to normal reality, It always feels like i'm on some sort of high nowadays

I will make an appointment with my Doc, but what should I do, tell her everything I've wrote on here, I wouldn't feel right, I just want to know the best source to get my serotonin back into my brain, so I want to go back to the way I was, Can i get Zoloft over the counter or do i need a prescription?

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #5
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

You're going to have to be honest and no, the kind of medicine you need, you need to get from a doctor. Just be honest, trust me. You are 18... do you know what percentage of teens have done X? It's really high and your doctor will not be prescribed AT ALL. It's o.k. I don't think you have a choice but to you go your doctor. You are missing your life right now because you are not 100% right now and I don't think you will be until you get your seratonin level back. Please just go. Would your parents HAVE to go with you or can you just say that you're 'having some problems' and want to go talk to your family doctor? Can you just tell your parents your depressed and need to go and then while you're there, tell the doctor the truth?

Old 03-02-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banker
    You're going to have to be honest and no, the kind of medicine you need, you need to get from a doctor. Just be honest, trust me. You are 18... do you know what percentage of teens have done X? It's really high and your doctor will not be prescribed AT ALL. It's o.k. I don't think you have a choice but to you go your doctor. You are missing your life right now because you are not 100% right now and I don't think you will be until you get your seratonin level back. Please just go. Would your parents HAVE to go with you or can you just say that you're 'having some problems' and want to go talk to your family doctor? Can you just tell your parents your depressed and need to go and then while you're there, tell the doctor the truth?
    I'll go by myself, if they ask i'll tell them it's for personal reasons, were not greatly close anyway

Is there any risks of these meds such as Zoloft and Proxac?

Old 03-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #7
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User

[QUOTE=Meredith52]
    Quote:
    Thanks for the reply guys

I just want to know the best source to get my serotonin back into my brain, so I want to go back to the way I was, Can i get Zoloft over the counter or do i need a prescription?

PULEEZE...........let the psychiatrist decide...please, please do not diagnosis yourself. I have a wonderful one, she is from India and has long long black hair and is very kind. Most of them are terribly compassionate..please don't make another mistake.
    Meredith
    OK, so i'll ask my local GP and then take her advice?

Sounds fair enough, I need to get it sorted asap though

Old 03-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #8
    headphone

headphone HB User

How often did you take X? I believe you said when you'd roll you took 7-8 pills in one night? I'm not saying this to make you feel worse, but that kind of use causes brain damage and you're experiencing the side effects of that. All the areas of the brain that influence perception and happiness are probably performing alot worse. The body heals in amazing ways, hopefully with good medical treatment you'll be back.

Old 03-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #9
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    OK, so i'll ask my local GP and then take her advice?

Sounds fair enough, I need to get it sorted asap though
    Even is you get Prozac or Zoloft it take a while to kick in. Isn't it like a week or two? I know that everyone's experience is different but I remember the doc telling me that it would take a couple of weeks to feel the effects.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:52 PM   #10
    dsny

dsny HB User

I know how you feel because my perception of things have changed alot since I started to get clean.I was on 2 different antidepressents and the whole time it was the pills itself(Vic's&Norco's)that where doing it.I remember that I used to think there was a gray shadow over my life and now I know that it was the addiction that was the shadow.Banker is right,you should goto the dr and explain things and see if you need to be on a antidepressent for alittle while.

Stay Strong,
    Ken

Old 03-03-2004, 04:11 AM   #11
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Yes, go to your doctor, tell him the truth and he will know exactly what to prescribe you. If it's an antidepressant, it does take a week or two to kick in, sometimes it takes several weeks, but the relief from the medicine will be so nice for you. Let us know how it turns out, okay?

Old 03-03-2004, 04:57 AM   #12
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banker
    Yes, go to your doctor, tell him the truth and he will know exactly what to prescribe you. If it's an antidepressant, it does take a week or two to kick in, sometimes it takes several weeks, but the relief from the medicine will be so nice for you. Let us know how it turns out, okay?
    Thanks guys, i'll tell you how it goes

You all been a great help

Old 03-03-2004, 10:38 AM   #13
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User

Right guys, I went to the docs, we don't have no real great relationship, she's the kinda doc that your in and out and it's finished

She said with your costant use of X and Pot, your mind is blurred and you might never feel the same, you might have to live with it, I told her about the Serotonin levels going down etc, she said it's true and asked me if i'm depressed, for which I replied "of course i am", she went on to prescribe me "Fluoxetine 20mg"

Anyone got info on these? She put me on for 2 weeks, said that I won't feel the full effects for 2 weeks, first I would feel very down but then it will make me feel better, but I don't know whether to try these, I'm on other meds for my Acne, do they mix? Anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2004, 11:44 AM   #14
    Hope12

Hope12 HB User

Legend,
    I've been reading your posts, and #1,congratulations for the decision to stop taking these drugs and finding out how harmful they can be, you are so young.Secondly, X can be extremely harmful,and can permanently alter brain chemistry,so if you have a little voice inside you telling you you are not in 100% agreement with your Dr.,that you may need something more than just an antidepressant, go with it.I believe what she put you on is an SSRI,at the lowest starting dose(which is where you have to start anyway)but to me, with the symptoms you were describing in your first post(I am not a doctor, but worked as an intensivist in trauma for many years)If it was me. I would ask for some other tests to be run(eg.especially a CT of the brain, actually I believe a Thermal scan of the brain).That is ,if you don't start feeling any better in a couple of weeks.Since you are so young, your body still has a good ability to repair any damage that has taken place, but it will take a while.Your antidepressant dose can gradually be increased if the dose your at doesn't seem to be effective enough after a while.After many years of abusing my own brain and body, I too am on an antidepressant and it can be frustrating waiting to see if it's going to work,so hang in there.This is definitely not an easy road.Be prepared for not feeling just right for a while, the ups and downs you will experience,this is all a part of both physical and emotional recovery from the damage we have inflicted upon ourselves.I am in the midst of early recovery myself,with 27 days clean at the moment,and this is the longest I've been clean in years.And you do need someone to talk to, if not professionally, then find a friend or even just a hotline where you can express your feelings your having. This board can play a role in that,too ,so feel free to express whatever is going on, there are a lot of people here with a lot of experience and good advice.Anything clinical, with relation to medications, though ask your doctor.And if you don't like the doctor your with-get another one.I don't think you mentioned this, but are you having problems sleeping? Anxiety?Please keep posting and keep everyone updated.You are only 18,you're really just beginning your life, and you've recognized a problem early.From where I'm standing, I wish I would of been that smart a long time ago...Take care of yourself and stay strong...

Old 03-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #15
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[url]http://faculty.washington.***/chudler/mdma.html[/url]

[url]http://www.drugabuse.gov/NIDA_Notes/NNVol14N4/Ecstasy.html[/url]

It is hard to believe that a GP would just hand out a drug without a complete work up but I guess that is what is happening these days.

Anti-depressants are serious drugs with serious side effects. I am not sure that they will make you any happier than you are now. Didn't you say that you wanted to get back to normal, where ever that place may be for you?

Are the anti-depressants to get you feeling better? Is that your understanding? I thought that you wanted to go back to your pre-ecstasy state. That is not possible, according to studies. You can't put Pandora back into the box, you can only learn to work your life around it, is my understanding from the studies that I have read.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-06-2004 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Closed Thread