HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addiction & Recovery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/)
-   -   (This ought to be a good one) Do I need a Xanax? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/155936-ought-good-one-do-i-need-xanax.html)

kuno 03-09-2004 04:43 PM

Re: (This ought to be a good one) Do I need a Xanax?

Happy birthday to you!

staceyy 03-09-2004 04:43 PM

michelle, Look I think there is more hype about bezo than there really is. My opinion! But when I took the xanax two weeks ago I got loaded and I could deffently see becoming addicted but, I have been on klonipin, adivan dalmae, quazapma, and prosom. in the last two years when I stop I don'r have any w/d's. I think that panick attacks are the worse when I get them feels like a heart attack use your best judjment take care of your self.Goddess Bless
Stacey

billiejean2003 03-09-2004 05:43 PM

hello,
upanite and banker, said everything i wanted to say, i wonder does the person that is giving you the advice not to take your medication, really understand the situation, or are they a docter, it's so easy to tell a person not to do something, but we should be very careful with the advice we give others, it could cause ones life.... trust me i have seen it happen in the fellowship of a.a., and no i'm not puting a.a down, i'm just saying giving advice about taking medication is a touchy subject especially if one doesn't have an degree.

take care, billiejean

John 808 03-09-2004 08:17 PM

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply!

I was able to get dressed and go out to eat with my girlfriends- I felt much better when I got out. After I ate, I even felt better. I wonder if this little episode had something to do with an empty stomach? I have had panic attacks before though and was having all the symptoms I normally get (shaking, sweating, feeling as if I need to vomit but can't, feeling as if I am about to lose all control...) I just haven't had one in so long, it just caught me off guard. I never took any more than that one half of Xanax even though I continued to shake for another hour or so. But, like I said, once I got away from the house and children and ate, I felt alot better!

I will not take my "usual bedtime dose" since I took the half this afternoon- don't want to get any higher with my dose. I may have some problems sleeping...we'll see!

Again, thanks you guys, this was a strange, little episode for me. I did call my parents so see if they could keep the kids awhile (I told them I just wasn't feeling good, but they had a Sunday School meeting and I hate to always have to call them, so I ended up saying, "No big deal!" Everything worked out in the long run though. I am so fortunate to have ya'll here for help! What a Godsend you guys are! :)

Goodnight to all and talk with ya'll tomorrow,
Michelle :)

Mart7 03-09-2004 09:22 PM

Michelle,
Sometimes not eating will do that do us! So, be sure you are taking care "you", while you are busy taking care of everyone else! I'm glad you are feeling better. :bouncing:

lisaaahubb 03-10-2004 03:27 AM

Michelle :wave:
I wasn't on the computer much yesterday, but you sound so much like me it is scary. Did you eat yesterday before the panic attack started???? I notice that when i drink about 4 cups of coffee in the morning and "forget" to eat some breakfast, and then lunch....i start getting sick to my stomach then shakey, and then comes PANIC ATTACK!!! Don't worry about taking a 1/2 a xanax or even a whole one when you are in the midst of an attack like that. That is why they were prescribed. I'll tell ya, i have never had panic attacks like this until i had my last child...i had 2 miscarriages in a row before i got pregnant, i think that hormones have alot to do with this. Also, you have 3 LITTLE ONES and your hubby works a lot like mine does, so that in itself must be very stressful, i know it is ;)

Also, the sub......was yesterday one of the days that you were going w/out???? I really think you should try to take it a little more frequently if this keeps up...i don't know much about sub though, and i'm not too sure that the doctors know a whole lot about it either :confused:

Well i was happy to see that you made it out w/your friends. And i am pretty sure that you "forget" to eat in the midst of taking care of your little ones. Not eating, kids being sick and stuck in the house, trying to taper off of sub. probably all contributed to your "attack"

Don't worry about taking them right now. I am taking about a 1/2 a night now. Hardly any panic attacks unless i don't eat and drink too much coffee :D I think the sub./pain pills DO cause anxiety and panic attacks especially when we are tapering or going c/t...

Hang in there Michelle....don't worry about the xanax intake right now. Don't increase any, but take them as needed....i don't take mine as prescribed either, if i took 1 4-6 times a day i would be a ZOMBIE and i would end up passing out....i don't think i ever took them as prescribed. I just know that xanax is prescribed for the symptoms you were describing yesterday.

I hope today is better for you. I'll bet after a night out w/the girls, and some sleep you will feel better today. Your little ones will probably be on the road to recovery now and you'll be back to your normal routine in no time :)

Hang in there girl!!!!
luv,
LISA

Banker 03-10-2004 04:13 AM

Michelle - why are you so worried about taking xanax? You don't abuse them, and don't even take them as prescribed. Get over trying to please everyone on this board and think about yourself. You know I'm not being ugly to you, I'm just frustrated that someone obviously has 'bullied' you into thinking that xanax is worse than death itself. You and I were on the same page as xanax and we both agreed that it's needed for certain people. So, GET OVER IT and if you need your medicine, take it. Forget about what people think of you. You are stronger than this, Michelle. What are you so worried about? You knew this was a panick attack... there should have been no question as to what to do. This is something I would ask one of my friends if they were acting 'out of character' so forgive me and don't get mad but are you about to start? lol I'm serious though, normally right before my period (and all of my girlfriend's) we all act weird and just 'not ourselves' right before we start. We worry about things that we normally wouldn't, we are more emotional. You DO know that anything I say to you is coming from love only and I mean it. Don't take offense to anything I say. I get upset when I get worried (I mean, really mad) and so it upsets me that you were so worried about taking something that you are prescribed to take for that exact reason!!!!! Don't let anyone tell you what to do. If you want to taper and get off of xanax, then do it for yourself, not for anyone else. If you need to stay on them as needed, then do it! Goodness, got my blood pressure up this morning. You DO understand why I'm upset right? Somebody has you so freaked out about xanax and you used to not be this way????? Come on, Scarlett!!! Come out and tell it like it is. (not to me though, I'm being sweet :-) I'm just worried about you and it makes me mad that you had to go through so much for NOTHING! K - maybe I'M about to start. lol Take care of yourself and next time - don't even question it, Michelle!!! You know better.

sadsister 03-10-2004 04:55 AM

Take the xanax..lady!
Thats what its for..sounds like panic to me..and could be the low sub dose..
Im on 4 mgs..and i need to go up at least 6-8 mgs..cos the cravings are still an issue.
By morning-im running to the suboxone..
I take 1 mg ativan in the morning-and 1 mg. at night..which is not a small dose..and im cutting down to 1/2 in the morning-and 1 at night..i don't abuse it-i have severe panic disorder/agoraphobia-and w/o it really non-functioning..i don't get high at all-it just lets me chill enough to drive my car..to work and chores...but it can make me tired..
You are on the same program as my hubby-every other day dose on the sub..he seems to be ok w/ this.he doesn't do the benzos..he doesn't have panic attacks.
Hope you are better today..and the kids are feeling better..you are a wonderful mama...
heather

Twinlynn 03-10-2004 05:09 AM

so glad you're feeling better! Everyone's said the stuff I would have said. Stay well. lynn :-)

John 808 03-10-2004 06:47 AM

Good morning all and thanks again!

I laid in bed last night and wondered why I was so "worried" about taking the Xanax...I know this was anxiety building up to full blown panic! I just started questioning myself after reading so many posts that disregard the use of benzos for anxiety. But, I came to the realization that I don't abuse them and I medically need them for occasions such as yesterday. It is real easy for people to say, "Get out and go walking, go shopping, go get your nails done, etc..." and I know they mean well, but when you have three six and under (and sick on top of that) it is not that easy to go do all those things....those of you that have little ones can relate!

I am glad Banker "got on to me" (even though my bottom lip pouted out :) )! I am a people pleaser and want everyone to think I am doing the right thing by what they feel is the right thing and that's never going to happen! I have to do what is right for me...and as long as there is no abuse of any of my meds and I am under a doctor's (who I love and is very involved with my recovery) care, I will take the Xanax when I have anxiety/panic attacks as I did yesterday. I have to learn that I will never make every single person "happy" because there are too many diverse opinions on certain issues. But, I do appreciate all the suggestions given and if I hadn't had the babies all here, I may would have tried on of them before taking the Xanax, but that just wasn't an option yesterday.

I did not take any more Xanax last night and laid in bed about an hour before finally fallling asleep but slept good and feel good this morning. I didn't take any sub yesterday, so today I will probably take some. But, I feel so good right now, I'll just wait and see.

Again, (and I won't say this anymore) THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Hope each of you has a good hump day. Take care and God bless,
Michelle

lane7eir 03-10-2004 07:09 AM

happy bday michelle!
glad to hear you got to escape last night!!! i am not on any anxiety meds but probably need to be. i wanted and still want to strangle my hubby this morning (story on relationship issue thread). my sil has anxiety attacks and had to wean herself off klonopin when she got pg. ithink she still takes xanax...so don't worry!

John 808 03-10-2004 08:01 AM

Hey laney,

I skipped over to the relationship board and read your thread- I wish I had some "magic advice" for you, but I have felt that exact same way before, too and I don't know what to tell you.

Did the cousenling seem to help? And have you REALLY not been intimate in ten months?

Fill me in...
Michelle

injured betty 03-10-2004 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Banker]Michelle - just take a xanax. Moonlight - do you have children? Have you ever had to take care of three children under the age of 6 while one has strep throat and the other has a virus? Have you ever had all three kids screaming bloody murder and throwing up and having crap diapers everywhere where the poop is pouring down their leg and they are running away from you in the house crying? Yes, what Michelle is experiencing is life - however, if you add an anxiety disorder on top of it - Some people don't have time to take 20 deep breaths while their 2 year old is playing in the toilet!!!!! Some times people need xanax! Michelle - stop worrying about it, keep an eye on it and if you even suspect abuse, take note of it and do something about it. You are fine... just stop worrying. The worry about the xanax is probably causing more anxiety! Take care girl and don't worry about what other people think of you![/QUOTE]

I am not going to take offense at your remark as I don't think that you meant it that way.

Yes, I have children. I have a panic disorder also. I used to rely on meds. I think that they have a time and place. For me, and I can't speak for anyone else, life can either be a series of panic attacks and pills or learning what causes them and how to take care of them. I used to take pills whenever I felt an attack coming on. I had to learn to do without them as I knew that I could not use them forever.

I was standing at the bus stop one day, waiting for a bus ride to work. Without a car I had to rely on public transportation to go to a minimum wage job, dropping my five year old off at the day care center on the way. Each day it was a full hour there and back.

This was a particuarly bad day. My child is OCD. Have you ever dealt with a child that is OCD, just getting them dressed and out of the house each day is chore in itself. All of the seams in his socks have to match.

He started projectile vomiting at the bus stop. If I missed one more day at work or was late to work I would lose my job. I had vomit dripping off of the front of my clothing. I had to go in anyway to prove to my boss that my child really was sick (requirements when you are on AFDC/back to work program). Anxiety attack? panic attacks? You bettcha.

When raising kids they come with certain risks. I had to take a deep breath, count to ten, not yell at my child for being sick, and ride the bus stinking of vomit. I had to face my co-workers covered in vomit and then go back, pick up my son, and then ride the bus back home.

I got myself off of all medication. I knew that I wanted to be able to face whatever life throws at a person. I think what did it was watching The Discovery Channel and other tv programs that show just how much worse it is in countries where they are not as privileged as we are. 911 was also a huge wakeup call for me. Talk about panic attacks. I figure that nothing that I am facing compares to what they faced. Agreed, at the moment, it feels like you can't take it, but I have a few things that I have learned to do, count to ten, take deep breaths, focus on my breathing, turn on music, dance around my kitchen, think good thoughts, be thankful that I have my children, if able, take a walk, pray, take a long hot shower, exercise, anything to take my mind off of what it happening that is stressing me.

I didn't even know that I was having panic attacks until I grew up. Whenever I was called to the Principal's office when I was young I thought that my heart would jump out of my throat. This is when I learned coping skills.

I know that not everyone will agree with me, but I think that we need the fight or flight reflex in order to survive.

Michelle, I hope that you don't take offense to my post. I also hope that you try some of the alternatives for stress and anxiety. Good luck.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked,
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

lane7eir 03-10-2004 08:43 AM

its just one of those days where i want to vent. i loved counseling. my counselor has 18 years in recovery and just was the neatest person. so, it helped me. you read that right. the reason why i know it's 10 months almost 11 is thats how many packs of birth control i have bought for no freaking reason. i know that's not all there is to a relationship, but it sure helps to make you feel wanted and pretty. it doesn't help that my friends reassure me cause it's not the same. i think i'm just really depressed and tired. it's one of those days where i just want to hit anyone who says, it's gods will and all that crap. you know, i don't think god meant for people to feel this bad. i hate knowing that if i drink, i'll blow it. it sure would be a hell of a lot easier. then he could have back the drunk wife who didn't question anything again.
sorry to go on & on. i'm just mad and hate everything about my life. i seem to go and go, and for what? nothing. not one damn thing. my job is boring. my boss is a chauvinistic pig and a butt kissing idiot. my mom would say well i could have told you that marrying someone who doesn't have your education or background will never work. everything i do is the wrong thing, so why freakin' bother. all that will happen is i'll get crapped on in the end and told im worthless and a bitchy old nag. :(

Mart7 03-10-2004 12:12 PM

Michelle
I am glad you made it through the day and all ended on a positive note. I have five children and believe me I can relate! Two years ago my whole family got food poisoning at the same time! We had seven bodies with it coming out of both ends for two whole days; it was horrible! I felt horrible. I could barely care for myself ... let alone care for my babies. (Thank goodness, my oldest - my prince; was the least effected and was such a help -- he was only fifteen at the time, but acted like a little adult cleaning up after everyone.) SometimesI worry that he has jumped into "parent" role too many times and takes on more responsibility then a teenager should have to. Anyway, sorry to digress.. I just wanted you to know I am glad you are feeling so much better today! :)
-MJ