It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• (This ought to be a good one) Do I need a Xanax?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User
    (This ought to be a good one) Do I need a Xanax?

Hey ya'll,

Most of you know I am slowly tapering off my sub. I am taking about 4mgs every other day. I also take Lexapro daily and supposed to take Xanax three times a day, but I don't. I usually take one half in the morning and one half in the afternoon.

Haven't had any sub today and all three children are home (have been all week....sick) and the last couple of hours I have started getting the shakes really bad. I will be honest, all this talk about benzo's has me a little nervous. Mind you, I have NEVER abused my Xanax! Have been on it a year and my dose has decreased instead of increased and they do not give me any type of "high," just "normal."

But right now, I am shaking terribly and my heart is racing. I feel very nervous and don't know whether I should take one or not. Do I work through it or will it end up in a full blown panic attack? My children are arguing and my baby is crying and I am climbing the walls...could use a little advice?

Yinksy, what would you suggest? Anyone else?

I am shaking so bad, I feel like I am going to vomit....I know, yucky!

Help,
    michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User
    Re: (This ought to be a good one) Do I need a Xanax?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John 3:16
    Hey ya'll,

Most of you know I am slowly tapering off my sub. I am taking about 4mgs every other day. I also take Lexapro daily and supposed to take Xanax three times a day, but I don't. I usually take one half in the morning and one half in the afternoon.

Haven't had any sub today and all three children are home (have been all week....sick) and the last couple of hours I have started getting the shakes really bad. I will be honest, all this talk about benzo's has me a little nervous. Mind you, I have NEVER abused my Xanax! Have been on it a year and my dose has decreased instead of increased and they do not give me any type of "high," just "normal."

But right now, I am shaking terribly and my heart is racing. I feel very nervous and don't know whether I should take one or not. Do I work through it or will it end up in a full blown panic attack? My children are arguing and my baby is crying and I am climbing the walls...could use a little advice?

Yinksy, what would you suggest? Anyone else?

I am shaking so bad, I feel like I am going to vomit....I know, yucky!

Help,
    michelle

You could pop a pill and go on or take a walk, do deep breathing, eat some chocolate, take a step back and analyze the situation and why you are taking a pill. It it a life or death situation? Sounds like what you are experiencing is *life*

Old 03-09-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

I can't go for a walk as I have a six year old with strep and orders from the doctor to keep her in....and I don't like chocalote.....

I am shaking so bad, I almost can't type.....

michelle

Old 03-09-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

There are just a few on the board who have me a little scared (even though I have never abused or desired to abuse my Xanax) of getting addicted to it...but what if you really need it?

I haven't had the shakes this bad in a long time...I just had to change my one year old's diaper and it was a monumental task because of my nerves.

I am going to step outside and takes some deep breaths and see if I get any relief......

Michelle

Old 03-09-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    I can't go for a walk as I have a six year old with strep and orders from the doctor to keep her in....and I don't like chocalote.....

I am shaking so bad, I almost can't type.....

michelle

You don't have someone who can step in and give you a break?

Not liking chocolate is unthinkable

There are other alternatives. Deep breathing as I mentioned before, remove yourself from the situation is the best bet but since you can't, find something that totally engages your mind. Do you have any computer games?

If you pop a pill now, it will be so easy to keep on popping them each time you are stressed out. Next thing you know, addiction. I have a treadmill, so I was not thinking when I said to walk. Maybe you can put your child down for a nap and then exercise. Exercise is great for stress. I guess that each of us has to make our own decisons.

I wish you the best of luck. I can really sympathize with you. I had a picture of a woman huddled in a corner on my computer. A little boy came over one day, age, about three, looked at the picture and said, "Mommie". When I went to her house one day that is exactly how I found her, huddled in a corner because her son was stressing her out. Unfortuanatley she is now an alcoholic. Not saying that you would be an addict, but it happens. Pills are so easy.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Michelle - just take a xanax. Moonlight - do you have children? Have you ever had to take care of three children under the age of 6 while one has strep throat and the other has a virus? Have you ever had all three kids screaming bloody murder and throwing up and having crap diapers everywhere where the poop is pouring down their leg and they are running away from you in the house crying? Yes, what Michelle is experiencing is life - however, if you add an anxiety disorder on top of it - Some people don't have time to take 20 deep breaths while their 2 year old is playing in the toilet!!!!! Some times people need xanax! Michelle - stop worrying about it, keep an eye on it and if you even suspect abuse, take note of it and do something about it. You are fine... just stop worrying. The worry about the xanax is probably causing more anxiety! Take care girl and don't worry about what other people think of you!

Old 03-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
    KIMBEE
    (female)

KIMBEE HB User

Michelle, Would it make you feel better to just take half of a xanax? And if that doesnt work take the other half. I feel so bad for you, taking deep breaths will help some. Dont sit there and suffer, if you need it, thats what its for.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Michelle, you are already taking the xanax, right? And you know you cannot suddenly stop it. But if I needed one for an oncoming panic attack, I would take it. It sounds like circumstances beyond your control have you in a very tough spot today. So sorry to hear that! I know many would disagree with me, but I think that as long as your dose does not steadily increase, and you are going through an anxious time, that that is what it is there for. Monitor your use, though, as far as not abruptly reducing your dose or letting it creep up consistently. I wish I was there to help you out!

BTW, best thing to do would be to call you doctor about your concerns as well. But this is why you have the xanax is for times like this, my dear.

luv,
    rosie

Last edited by rosietee; 03-09-2004 at 02:34 PM.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Well, I tried walking around in the backyard but ended up over the "potty," although I just "went through the motions." Haven't been able to eat today- woke up a little nervous feeling. After I took my one half of Xanax, it subsided.

I ended up letting one half dissolve under my tongue and am already feeling a little more calm. Still shaking a little, but nothing like I was a few minutes ago. When I started sweating, I knew that that "panicky" feeling was about to hit me!

I know this is why I have this medicine readily available and this rarely happens (maybe because I haven't had a break from the babies), but it does unnerve me a little to hear all these horror stories on benzos. I have to remind myself though that I don't abuse, have no desire to abuse, and use them cautiously.

Feeling better...thanks ya'll! It is nice to have some advice on hand! I know I disappointed some of you by taking one, but I was about to lose control and I have my children to think about.

Okay, let me go tend to a screaming four year old whose trailor is not staying hitched on to his truck......

Michelle

Old 03-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #10
    upatnite58
    (female)

upatnite58 HB User

hi michelle...don't be silly, you are prescribed this med for a reason. you don't abuse it. if you need one, take one. just a thought here...have you ever had your blood sugar tested? i don't mean a routine blood test, but a more complex one. i had the very same symptoms as you on and off for years. turns out i have a tendancy for my blood sugar to drop dramatically if i didn't eat a proper meal. and i had a nasty tendency to skip meals. not saying that this could be what you have, but it sure couldn't hurt to rule it out? the test you would need is a glucose tolerance test. maybe ask your doc?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:18 PM   #11
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Michelle

Just a thought - following on Rosie's train of thought. If you have been taking xanax on a regular basis - you know you cant just stop. If you have missed - even just one regular dose of xanax this could explain your present situation - sounds like classic withdrawal symptoms. (especially from xanax which is so short acting and produces quite unpleasant symptoms on account of this rapid reduction in blood concentrations). If that is the case - take your regular dose of xanax and if that removes the symptoms then perhaps these symptoms are withdrawals? (depends too on how long you have been taking the drug on a regular basis). I hope this is not the case - but only you will know. You cannot/must not just stop - it is potentially dangerous. Something to discuss with your doctor? I dont know anything of your medical history and so beyond this I cant proffer any further advice.
    BTW - generally people dont abuse xanax - the dependency is called iatrogenic addiction - which comes about when patients follow the guidelines and never abuse - but become dependent due to the nature of the action of benzos - as psychotropic drugs.
    Quite unlike opiates - benzos do not give you a "high"

But - do take care. Only you can tell if this is withdrawal from the xanax or a panic attack? Or indeed withdrawal from sub?

Have you reduced your sub in any way in the last day or so? That will also produce withdrawal symptoms if not tapered very slowly too? Others in here can advise about that.

Look after yourself, lass.

For the moment - you need to keep your medication regular........ so take everything you are supposed to and are in the habit of doing? Hopefully everything will settle down again.
    I know only too well what its like to have 4 screaming sick children and my heart goes out to you!

Could - what you are suffering now - be their virus which you are catching? Might have nothing to do with any medication at all? Would seem very possible? Indeed highly likely?

Give me a shout if I can help in any way - and if you feel - in a day or so that you want to talk about taper? Rosie can chat too about her klonopin taper? But only if you think it might be an option for you? You must discuss your situation with your doc, for sure.

Hope you feel a bit better soon?

Y

Old 03-09-2004, 03:27 PM   #12
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Thanks a bunch ya'll!

I still have the shakes pretty bad- which is strange???

I have gone a day or two before where I don't take any Xanax and am fine, so I wouldn't think that it would be withdrawal from that. Could be that I have not had any sub today.....

I am supposed to go out with two girlfriends for my birthday (which is something I NEVER do) but I don't think that I can apply my makeup because my hands are shaking so bad.... ! I hate to cancel this because it would do me some good to get away from my babies for a little bit.

I am going to go back downstairs and attempt to get dressed.

Again, thank you so much for your support...means more than you know,
    Michelle

Old 03-09-2004, 04:19 PM   #13
    bluejulie5
    Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

Hi Michelle;
    You will get through this. I can kind of relate to what you are going through, I have 3 kids too!! Plus all of your other stress on top of dealing with the kids.
    I am glad you took 1/2 xanax. Like everyone is saying, that is what they are there for, and you do not abuse them......
    I hate to see you suffering.
    I will keep checking in. Hang in there.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:33 PM   #14
    ddanna

ddanna HB User

Hi Michelle,

First, I want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Second, I hope you are doing better now & are able to go out with your friends. I was going to say the same thing as Upatnite...I wondered if it's your blood sugar & hypoglycemia?? I've been having some symptoms like yours. I'm trying to see if it's when I take a Tagamet/Zantac or when I've had too many sugary snacks. Within the past week, I had 2 bad episodes where I had to make myself throw up cuz I can't stand to feel the belly-ache of needing to & I had to sleep it off for an hour...plus I guzzle some O.J. in case it is hypoglycemia. But that goes away within an hour for me so if yours hasn't then I don't know.

Also, like Yinksy said...do you think you are coming down with the kids' illnesses? Since you've had the panic attacks before, does this seem like one? I've had them before too and oh boy, they are bad! Thank God, I haven't had them for a long time. Wish I knew what caused mine for the 5-6 months I was having them.

Anyway, let us know how you continue to feel and if you go out tonight, have fun!! Talk with you later!

Dana

Old 03-09-2004, 04:39 PM   #15
    Mart7

Quote:
    There are just a few on the board who have me a little scared (even though I have never abused or desired to abuse my Xanax) of getting addicted to it...but what if you really need it?

I haven't had the shakes this bad in a long time...I just had to change my one year old's diaper and it was a monumental task because of my nerves.

I am going to step outside and takes some deep breaths and see if I get any relief......

Michelle
    Michelle,

I personally think you would be fine taking the xanax, you have never had an issue with abusing it and if you are shaking that bad .. it will surely help. I take xanax intermittently for vertigo (for some reason I get vertigo about twice a year and am prescribed a low dose for the symptoms.) I take the xanax only when needed for the vertigo symptoms and never abuse it. It sounds like at this point it could really be helpful and you don't have a history of abusing benzos. I hope you are doing better. (Also, my daughter just went through reoccurring bouts of strep .. it was horrible -- I'm so sorry to hear your child has it!)
    -MJ

Closed Thread