It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Yinksy- Question about Xanax?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2004, 07:17 AM   #1
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User
    Yinksy- Question about Xanax?

Yinksy,

As you may know, I have been using Xanax for about one year now. Supposed to take 3 1mg tablets 3x a day and did at first but have decreased my dose over the months. Am now at .5mg in the morning and .5mg in the evening and if I ever have an "attack" (like the other day, but that's rare), I'll take .5mg.

QUESTION....I am trying to really watch for signs of anxiety/nervousness and if I am not experiencing them, I don't want to take the Xanax. I don't want to take it out of routine. The last couple of mornings, I have woken up feeling pretty good and have not taken my Xanax. This morning however, I am extremely nauseated. Is this a symptom from not taking it? I know about the Ashton Manual but to be honest, I don't have time to sit down and go through that. (As I type this, my one year old is crying for "mommy"). So, quickly, can you tell me if you know that to be a withdrawal symptom? Just trying to figure out what is going on....

Thanks for your help,
    Michelle

Anybody else feel free to advise as well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
    Hope12

Hope12 HB User
    Re: Yinksy- Question about Xanax?

Hi Michelle!!!
    Did you take your xanax in the evening lastnight??Withdrawal symptoms usually start within 24 hours of decreasing a dose or stopping(actually some drugs sooner than that),and nausea can be a symptom,BUT,see if it subsides soon or gets worse(and make sure it's not a sympton of the flu, a virus,etc...)if it gets worse and starts including other uncomfortable things(and your sure you're not getting sick)it could be the creeping in of withdrawal.Your dosages sound real manageable,and it sounds like at times you take them less than prescribed,I think you're doing A-okay.But of course as you know, when you take something like that for an extended period of time, your body gets physically dependant.But see if your symptoms worsen or get better.That should give you a clue.I'm sure Yinsky would know more,I really haven't taken benzo's for an extended period of time, so I'm sure there are different withdrawal symptoms than with opiates????Otherwise, I hope you're doing well,and have a GREAT day!!

Hugs,Stacie

Old 03-12-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Thanks Stacie!

I have been real pleased with the relief the Xanax has given my anxiety and for the fact that my dose has decreased over time instead of increased. I just noticed that the last couple of days I have not woken up with the jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, etc. so I didn't feel a need to take my meds, but then also noticed the nausea.

I don't have any other symptoms (sore throat, headache, etc) so I don't think I am coming down with anything and I BETTER NOT be pregnant... (if so, I am suing the Depro Vera birth control...LOL... )!

Just wondering if that is a symptom from stopping a benzo....

Thanks for you input. Have a good day,
    Michelle

Old 03-12-2004, 08:26 AM   #4
    Hope12

Hope12 HB User

You're on Depro Vera??Can't that sometimes make you feel nauseous??My daughter was getting those shots and felt miserable the whole time,so now she's on the birth control patch.Even if it's never made you feel queasy before, I know that is definitely a side effect(and I'm thinking you've been on it for...let's say,about a year???hehehe)Can you imagine getting pregnant again with a one year old to chase around???OHHHH those first few months of pregnancy,eeeewwwwww.....

HUGS! Stacie

Old 03-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #5
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John 3:16
    Yinksy,

As you may know, I have been using Xanax for about one year now. Supposed to take 3 1mg tablets 3x a day and did at first but have decreased my dose over the months. Am now at .5mg in the morning and .5mg in the evening and if I ever have an "attack" (like the other day, but that's rare), I'll take .5mg.

QUESTION....I am trying to really watch for signs of anxiety/nervousness and if I am not experiencing them, I don't want to take the Xanax. I don't want to take it out of routine. The last couple of mornings, I have woken up feeling pretty good and have not taken my Xanax. This morning however, I am extremely nauseated. Is this a symptom from not taking it? I know about the Ashton Manual but to be honest, I don't have time to sit down and go through that. (As I type this, my one year old is crying for "mommy"). So, quickly, can you tell me if you know that to be a withdrawal symptom? Just trying to figure out what is going on....

Thanks for your help,
    Michelle

Anybody else feel free to advise as well!
    Hello Michelle
    I am just dashing out to the office - when I noticed your post - so quick reply.
    If you are regularly taking .5 mg xanax in the morning and regularly taking .5 mg in the evening and you miss one of these out - they yes you may well suffer withdrawals. Yes - nausea is certainly one of a huge number of symtpoms including anxiety, insomina, restlessness, aggression and a whole huge list of things. I will take them off Ashton and print them below this post - just a list.
    If you now take a xanax and things subside - then you could be pretty sure that it has been xanax withdrawal. Withdrawal symptoms recede if the drug from which you are withdrawing is administered. The trouble with xanax - for reasons of getting off - is that is has a very short half life - and this determines when withdrawal symptoms occur. The half life of xanax is only 6 - 12 hours.............. so if it has been 6 - 12 hours after your last dose, then looks like it could be xanax.
    On the other hand - you have to look at your sub? It is long lasting - and so obviously has a long half life and therefore withdrawal symtoms from reduction in that drug with cause withdrawal after a much longer length of time - maybe 2 - 3 days? (I am guessing at this)
    You will have to figure out which has been reduced or missed out and which is causing this farly typical withdrawal symptom.
    Mind you, you have told me that in the past you have often missed a dose of xanax and never had any problems with that (lucky girl) so perhaps sub is the more likely candidate? Have you asked your doc about the sub half life and times as to when withdrawal sets it?
    Its worth discussing this with your doctor - if you have to taper to get off these drugs - depending on your medical advice - then you should do it one drug at a time. If you are on xanax in a regular prescribed way and also the sub............. then you must decide which you want to get off (if you indeed want to get off) first. One taper then another. Not both at once.
    I am no doctor, Michelle - and I dont think you should be thinking of tapering either until you have discussed it with him - you need him to back you up in taper. He might want you to come off - or maybe he wont want you to come off yet?
    BTW - Ashton is very easy to read online - its a shortish manual anyway.......... and you can pick out the bits that are relevant. It is so worth reading.
    Good luck.............. try taking that .5 mg dose now and see if the symptoms go away? If they do - then that's your answer. If they dont go way - the take you dose of sub - if the symptoms go away then that is the culprit?

Or - just maybe - you have caught the kids' virus??

Take care - never just stop a benzo - ever - must always taper. BTW altho .5mg xanax sound a little it is in fact equivalent to 10 mg valium. So typically you are taking 20 mg valium per day?

Have a think - and so please ask me anything else I might be able to help with?

Y

Old 03-12-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Don't joke about that...LOL...I got pregnant with my now one year old on birth control...that's the kind of luck I have! That is why they switched me to the shot, because I got pregnant on the pill... !

Have a good day!

Old 03-12-2004, 08:34 AM   #7
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

CHAPTER III

BENZODIAZEPINE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS, ACUTE AND PROTRACTED

Mechanisms of withdrawal reactions

Acute withdrawal symptoms

Individual symptoms, their causes and how to deal with them

Insomnia, nightmares, sleep disturbance
    Intrusive memories
    Panic attacks
    Generalised anxiety, panics and phobias

Psychological techniques
    Complementary medicine techniques
    Exercise and other techniques

Sensory hypersensitivity
    Depersonalisation, derealisation
    Hallucinations, illusions, perceptual distortions
    Depression, aggression, obsessions
    Muscle symptoms
    Bodily sensations
    Heart and lungs
    Problems with balance
    Digestive problems
    Immune system
    Endocrine problems
    Fits, convulsions

Course of withdrawal

Protracted withdrawal symptoms
    Anxiety
    Depression
    Insomnia
    Sensory and motor disturbances
    Possible mechanisms of persisting sensory and motor symptoms
    Poor memory and cognition

Note - those first 4 acute withdrawal symptoms - this is why you have to ask where anxiety or panic attacks are coming from? They can be induced during withdrawal from xanax. Not saying that this is true in your situation - but worth thinking about?

Last edited by yinksy; 03-12-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Old 03-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #8
    Hope12

Hope12 HB User

Just a quick little anecdote,or whatever you call it...NOw I have six kids,and will be 39 in a few weeks,but...a few months ago my whole household came down with the flu, and of course I did too,but I got so sick that two weeks later I still wasn't much better...went to the doctor,described my symptoms...and she asked if i had though about taking a pregnancy test.I almost passed out.But just to be on the safe side, she wanted to give me on.Now, my track record has always led to one thing when I took these tests-pregnancy.Six out of my last six pregnancy tests were-guess what? POSITIVE.My head was swimming,as you can imagine,even tough I was thinking-okay, immaculate conception-but you never know with me,anythings possible...of course it was negative...The doctors avoided a full-blown resuscitation if it for some reason would of been positive..LOL.Just thought I'd share that(can't tell how bored I am!!)I just read Yinsky's post,good one,I think you got your question answered there.Take care!(Besides her post,are we the only one's posting right now???lol)

Hugs and umm...LUCK?lol
    Stacie

Old 03-12-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Yinksy,

I ended up taking about half of a half of my xanax (because today was a day where I took my sub) to see if it would eliminate the nausea and to my dismay, it did eliminate the nausea. That really suprised me, because I have gone as much as four days one time without taking my Xanax (when I had little to no anxiety and was FINE).....so....what to do, what to do?

I am too engulfed in this fight to get off opiates (which includes the sub) to tackle another taper right now, plus, what am I going to do when I DO wake up with anxiety or have an attack like I did the other day?

Anyway, I too, am very busy at the moment so, I'll catch up with ya'll later.
    Thank you, too Hope12 for your advice!

michelle

Old 03-12-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Don't know if it was that or not.....the nausea came roaring back this afternoon and I still have it tonight (after my .5mg tablet)!

Hope I am not getting sick but glad to know it may not be Xanax withdrawal! Whew!

We'll see how tomorrow goes,
    michelle

Old 03-12-2004, 09:04 PM   #11
    TryingToSmile

TryingToSmile HB User

Michelle

Just the fact that you are sort of 'panicing' about whether this is a side-effect or not could just as likely to be causing the naseua. Just keep in mind that it sounds like you are totally controlling your dosage, and although I understand that a small dosage change could totally be causing this, also consider the million other things that can cause nausea....foods you eat, stress, coming down off subutex, BCP, etc. So keep a mental log of the days and times you are feeling bad, and give your doc a call....I knnow its such a scary thing to think about being pregnant again, but the fact that you are so much healthier know could increase your fertility...best to double check if this follows a pattern of what happened in the past with other kids...I also got pregnant when I was on birth control pills. What luck, huh?

Old 03-12-2004, 09:24 PM   #12
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Thanks!

I hope it is not a side affect from not taking the Xanax as I have always been so careful with them and not to mention, they do wonders for my anxiety, but if I am feeling okay, I would rather not take on than do just for the sake of "routine."

My doctor would probably fuss at me for saying that as he thinks I need to be very consistent with them and maybe I should be? I just know reading some of the information on the boards about the benzos has me a little nervous (even though I DO NOT abuse them).

I have not had a good day- have done nothing but thought about how great it was to have that "fuzzy, yummy" feeling begin to glide through your body.....ugh! I would love to just make it through one day without thinking about those stupid pills, and mind you, I am on the sub! Very frustrating! I had to literally stop and pray for strength not to call the pharmacy (can ya believe it...I have a refill for Lortab hanging out there...)! I made it, but I dread tomorrow being an all day battle again.

Well, I have rambled on about me...are you feeling any better today since your appointment? I posted to you somewhere.....sounds like you got stuck with a psychiatrist that probably would have rather been somewhere else! I have gone to one like that before...where it was like I was wasting his time...and for this guy to call you "crazy!" How ancient of a term, not to mention disrespectful, is that!

You are going to make this and be just fine...I just know you are! I am so glad you came back to the boards for support. Hang in there and I'll check in with ya tomorrow.
    God bless and have sweet dreams ,
    michelle

Old 03-12-2004, 09:42 PM   #13
    TryingToSmile

TryingToSmile HB User

"My doctor would probably fuss at me for saying that as he thinks I need to be very consistent with them and maybe I should be? I just know reading some of the information on the boards about the benzos has me a little nervous (even though I DO NOT abuse them)."

But I can't imagine he would want you to take more than necessary, right? Just be straight and ask him if its a 'take as needed', or 'consistently take' for anxiety. That would make all the difference in the world, if you trust your doc.

"I have not had a good day- have done nothing but thought about how great it was to have that "fuzzy, yummy" feeling begin to glide through your body.....ugh! I would love to just make it through one day without thinking about those stupid pills, and mind you, I am on the sub! Very frustrating! I had to literally stop and pray for strength not to call the pharmacy (can ya believe it...I have a refill for Lortab hanging out there...)! I made it, but I dread tomorrow being an all day battle again."

Can you make a huge strong move and ask your sub doc to contact the pharmacy and cancel the refill? Or have your husband call the doc who allowed the refill to recall it? I just wonder if knowing that its available right around the corner is making it more of a problem/craving? Just a thought. I know I would buckle if I knew at any time I could call the pharmacy...I had to tell my whole darn medical team, so I will never get another opiate again, which is probably good.

Have a great night, and much hope for a great weekend!!!

Old 03-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #14
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User

Well, atleast I got my chuckle before going to bed,,,,"I had to tell my whole dern medical team...." Sounds like a SLEW of doctors!

My hubby would cancel the script in a heartbeat, but I can't bring myself to tell him (in otherwords, I want to know they are there), but for why? WHY, WHY, WHY? Can we say a-d-d-i-c-t-e-d class? UGH!

I just better go to bed...maybe I will wake up all hunky-dory!
    MIchelle

Old 03-13-2004, 03:53 AM   #15
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Good Morning Michelle!!!!
    How are ya feeling today???? I am craving like crazy, have been for the past week or so now. I guess this is "normal" for someone w/30+ days of clean time. I hate it....i go to bed thinking about them, i am in a meeting--not listening, daydreaming about being high, i wake up craving
    It seems like it can go on for days and days, be happy you have the sub., i would just stay on it, if i were you, Michelle! Wouldn't you LOVE to not crave? That is what the sub. is supposed to be for...i really think your dosage wasn't ever right to begin with!!!
    I am beginning to think i need something for maintenance......i can tell what is about to happen, i have been down this route before.
    To top it all off, i have an absessed tooth and it is KILLING ME!!! Of course, it is Saturday and no one is going to see me til Monday, so here i sit.
    I really don't know how much more i can take. Seems like i am weakening by the day
    I have so many problems with my teeth right now, the pain is unbearable. And of course we don't have dental insurance so i have no idea how we are going to pay to fix the 10 or so teeth that are all inflamed and hurting!!!
    I can't eat cold, or hot, barely can chew......i can't afford to lose any weight at this stage of the game!!!!
    Sorry to go on and on!!!!
    I hope you wake up in a better mood, i really think that "pain" is sparking my cravings.....
    You have to ignore the fact that you have a refill at the pharm....that in itself, will drive you crazy!!!! I have had a refill sitting at the pharm. for over a month now....today is the only day i have thought about picking it up.
    Oh what have we done to our bodies and minds??????
    I feel for you, Michelle!!!!! Try to get thru the day. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
    luv,
    LISA

Closed Thread