It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Antidepressants + Codeine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User
    Antidepressants + Codeine

Many people who misuse codeine containing OTC products, also tell us that they suffer from Depression and/or anxiety, and have consulted a G.P. or other Physician, who invariable prescribes an Anti-depressant Drug, to treat this condition.
    Several published Scientific Reports, strongly suggest that when you prescribe an Anti-depressant Drug to a patient, at the same time as the patient is being treated with large, prolonged or over-dosages of a Depressant Drug, {the Codeine}, the Anti-depressant clinical effects are most always cancelled out by the effects of the stronger, Depressant Drug. In other words, the patient receives little or no clinical benefits by taking the Anti-depressant Drug. However, the patient IS still affected by the sometimes adverse side-effects, associated with the particular Anti-depressant which he/she has been prescribed. It is not until the latter stages of a OTC codeine Withdrawal Programme, when the amount of the depressant-Codeine, has been markedly reduced to lower levels, does the clinical benefits of the Anti-depressant Drug prescribed, become apparent.
    It could be said, then, that when you take an Anti-depressant prescribed Drug for Depression, at the same time as you also take excess doses of codeine containing OTC products, you may as well could be taking "Smarties", for all the benefit you obtain at that particular time, from the Anti-depressant.
    Over-Count. January 11th, 2003. Reserved.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
    greymatter

greymatter HB User
    Re: Antidepressants + Codeine

yinsky,
    i have read your posts for a long time and we have had disagreements in the past, i giuess codiene is available in OTC products in Europe, i know it is in Canada.
    seriously though, i have been on and off every anti-depressant known to man and one of the first things that is told to you, either by a pharmacist or your doctor is not to drink. drinking and drugs regulate your modd, which accounts for the feelings of helplessness and depression when an addict or a long-time user gets off and doesn't know why he/or she feels this way.

both alcohol and codiene are depressants, along with so many other drugs and just about every illegal one. people take ssri's or otheranti-d's to regulate their moods and hopefully control their depression.

it seems common sense. i'm glad you posted this but codiene is like any other opiate and, along with alcohol, is completely counter productive when taking medication to regulate your feelings. i guess it is more of a problem where codiene is available otc, but it just seems so stupid to me for someone who goes to the trouble to try and treat and relieve their depression the right way to sabatoge any good work they have been doing by taking opiates, drinking or getting involved with any other depressant.

if you insistant on abusing drugs and are on anti-depressants, at least cut the anti's out. it's like taking a sugar pill.

thanks for the post yinsky.

grey

Old 03-25-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
    sandman66

sandman66 HB User

i asked a friend who is a physician and he said they used to treat depression with narcotic related medications back in the eary 1900's, this was a long time ago maybe no one is interested in that but i thought that it was a little.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:09 AM   #4
    yinksy
    Inactive

yinksy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greymatter
    yinsky,
    i have read your posts for a long time and we have had disagreements in the past, i giuess codiene is available in OTC products in Europe, i know it is in Canada.
    seriously though, i have been on and off every anti-depressant known to man and one of the first things that is told to you, either by a pharmacist or your doctor is not to drink. drinking and drugs regulate your modd, which accounts for the feelings of helplessness and depression when an addict or a long-time user gets off and doesn't know why he/or she feels this way.

both alcohol and codiene are depressants, along with so many other drugs and just about every illegal one. people take ssri's or otheranti-d's to regulate their moods and hopefully control their depression.

it seems common sense. i'm glad you posted this but codiene is like any other opiate and, along with alcohol, is completely counter productive when taking medication to regulate your feelings. i guess it is more of a problem where codiene is available otc, but it just seems so stupid to me for someone who goes to the trouble to try and treat and relieve their depression the right way to sabatoge any good work they have been doing by taking opiates, drinking or getting involved with any other depressant.

if you insistant on abusing drugs and are on anti-depressants, at least cut the anti's out. it's like taking a sugar pill.

thanks for the post yinsky.

grey
    Hey Grey

What have we disagreed about - I cant imagine - I am far too mellow.............! ha ha ha hah ah

Good to read your post......... not everyone will know this. There are many many people in here abusing opiates and taking anti-depressants at the same time. So futile? Why do their doctors prescribe? Mind you - prob get drugs from several docs without telling the full story to any one doctor?

But to answer your query about codeine - yes - it is available over the counter here in UK - typically in pills containing 8 - 13 mg of codeine. There is a huge abuse problem here now with these pills (mostly solpadeine and nurofen plus) - massive. I think it is percolating thro to govt and we may well see a change in legislation in years to come. On the other hand - for people who use wisely - its so convenient to be able to buy otc and not have to go to your doctors...............?
    Is there an awareness in Canada about the abuse potential?
    Hope you are well
    yinksy
    (am away for a few days - speak on return?)

Closed Thread