It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Oxycodone/MsContin???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
    catwoman78

catwoman78 HB User
    Oxycodone/MsContin???

I am on both of these meds for severe pain - MS Contin and Oxycodone. The Oxy is as needed. The MS is three times a day (30 mg). I wondered if they are similar drugs? My plan is to get off the MS Contin for now. I am doing it slowly and appreciate all your support and information and ideas on how to best to this. Will the Oxycodone help with the withdrawal symptoms caused by getting off MS Contin?

thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
    Best Friend
    Veteran

Best Friend HB User
    Re: Oxycodone/MsContin???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by catwoman78
    I am on both of these meds for severe pain - MS Contin and Oxycodone. The Oxy is as needed. The MS is three times a day (30 mg). I wondered if they are similar drugs? My plan is to get off the MS Contin for now. I am doing it slowly and appreciate all your support and information and ideas on how to best to this. Will the Oxycodone help with the withdrawal symptoms caused by getting off MS Contin?
    thanks.
    Hi. I am not an 'expert' on these drugs, but my cousin has been prescribed both oxycontin and MS Contin. (Tho NOT at the same time.) While different drugs, they are both very potent and have somewhat similar effects in terms of addiction, if used incorrectly. I hope that someone more knowledgable than I can give you better medical info (you can do a web search on both drugs and check out what each drug specifically consists of and what it is meant to do). Your doctor, though, would probably be best able to answer your questions. My cousin found the oxys better to handle (in terms of her body's reaction)...the MS made her somewhat groggy and lethargic. She's had back, hip and knee surgeries, plus has severe arthritis and stenosis in parts of her body. After many 'trials,' she and her pain management doctor determined that the oxys gave her the most relief. Hope you find some answers... Best wishes.
    Alice

Old 04-02-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

If you stopped the oxycontin, yet continued to take the oxycodone, then the later would help tremendously with your withdrawals... only thing is, if you take the percocets too much, then you will have to withdraw from those. However, oxycodone is a shorter acting opiate which means the wds from it will last for a shorter period of time than the oxys. I would get off of the oxys first (and yes, drop down to two a day for about a week or two, then one a day for about a week or two, then none). If you suffer withdrawal symptoms, you can take the oxycodone but again, you may have to withdraw from that after the oxys. Keep us posted and it will be hard and yes, you will be tempted to take a pill when the withdrawals kick in. However, you are taking a pretty low dosage so I don't think it will be that bad. In addition, if you want to stop everything all at once, your doctor can prescribe clonodine for opiate withdrawals... only thing is - they might think you are a real addict if you ask for this. Maybe you can just be honest and tell them your fears?

Old 04-03-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
    maynard

maynard HB User

hey banker, love your posts

actually, though, oxycontin and oxycodone are exactly the same drug. the only differences between oxycontin and an oxycodone formulation such as percocet are that percocet is a mixture of tylenol (usually 325 mgs) and oxycodone HCL (usually 5 or 7.5 mgs), whereas Oxycontin is pure Oxycodone HCL in a time released form (12 hours). Besides that the drugs are exactly the same. If you're one of those people who bypasses the time release (which I imagine isn't likely since you're actually legitimately prescribed them), then the two drugs (oxycontin and percocet) should have the exact same duration. Quitting Oxycontin while still taking percocet just adds a lot of tylenol to your regimen. But you're right that reducing your dosage is a good thing and is what you want to do towards your overall goal here.

Personally, I've just started a 7 day detox outpatient program using suboxone, and its been wonderful so far. I'm not suffering really any withdrawal symptoms, and they sent me home with clonidine, flexeril, and some sleeping pills and a few other things to take the edge off whenever i start to feel crappy. Each day I just go in for a real short appointment, they give me my dose of suboxone and refill my other meds. In 7 days they'll have me tapered off and it looks like it should be a relatively pain free, 7 day route to an opiate free life Supplemented, of course, with NA meetings and other routes of support

Of course, I have been slightly concerned about who exactly will be able to find out about this treatment I have sought , in the future. I know medical records are supposedly confidential, and I should be able to sue them if they release my info, but you never know what loopholes there are. Is it possible I could ever be denied a job somewhere or something dumb like that just because I went out to seek help? That's pretty dumb if it could happen.... so i'll just assume it can't? hehe

Last edited by maynard; 04-03-2004 at 02:49 AM.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:37 AM   #5
    catwoman78

catwoman78 HB User

Thanks so much for all the sweet words. I am so alone . . . . it can be quite exasperating. Someone who posted thought I was taking Oxycontin - it is MS Contin - a morphine based drug. I don't handle morphine well and that is the one drug I want to get off. I don't mind the Oxycodones. They do help my pain a lot - I could not have a daily life without them as far as moving around because the severe pain is in both of my feet due to a birth deformity that has gotten worse with age. I don't think Morphine helps me much which is why I want off. The only thing it does - it gets my body addicted to it. I hate that. I don't want anything controlling me. I am fine with or without the Oxycodones - I can go without for days on end. I just want off the MS Contin because although I can be off of it for days wihtout suffering any emotional issues - I do suffer withdrawals physically (chills, sweating, aching). So - that's my story and I do appreciate you all!!!!

Old 04-03-2004, 06:18 AM   #6
    sadsister
    Inactive

sadsister HB User

Hi catwomen..
    (one of my childhood heros)..yes..the ms contin..is the morphine..i believe time released?i took them before..didn't work..oxys help w/ the breakthru pain(or w/d's)..so you could come off the mscontin using the oxys..
    Im sorry you feel so badly..the pain issue is a tough one..have you asked your dr.what he suggests?
    Some people are on methadone for pain-but its very tough to kick that..
    Id try weaning off the mscontins and use the oxys as needed.
    Hope you have a better day..
    Heather

Closed Thread