It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• when does it end

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2004, 06:59 AM   #181
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
    Re: when does it end

howard or jennita there is a post by a girl name amye on page 25 what the heck did she mean by asking me if i see floaters in my eyes help me out here i have no clue thanks kelleigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #182
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

<>

Kelleigh,

I hit you right between the eyes so to speak initially because it is early in the game for you, and you thus have the best chance of getting off easy. Can think of one in here that was taking Xanax once in a while then started taking them daily for a couple of weeks and was nervous about it. I and a few others entered the thread, and she soon flushed the pills. Said she would not go back. Well, if one was saved the misery all of my effort has been worth it.

Mise Ata Ann,

I have a difficult time understanding the profit motive, drug companies and benzos. Most must be buying generics and there are several manufacturers of these in the U.S. 30 .5 mg Xanaxes used to cost me $11. 60 5 mg Valiums cost the same. Would be the same price without insurance. Sure a lot of a little could add up to a lot, but I would like to see some figures on some of these drug companies profits on these drugs... Seems the big bucks would be in the SSRIs with valid patents, branded your only choice, and prices are way high. Same goes with Ambien. I probably would have switched to Ambien (yes, am now aware of the dangers) but the price detered me, $80 for a month`s supply.

Also, benzos were effective for me for much longer than one month. Was a great sleep aid for over a year. I also was able to quit after 9 months, off about 3 months, just did not want to bother going to the doc. Did the same for 10 days less than a year ago. No withdrawals either time. But had no intention of giving them up for good. Was still in the dark regarding consequences. Am by no means claiming I am typical in these regards, but it is my true experience. May be why I am more inclined to suggest "flushing" the pills to very short term users. Think there may be a real chance they are not hooked yet, and if not, no point in staying on them slow tapering and perhaps getting hooked in the process. What an irony that would be...

Last edited by howard678; 05-09-2004 at 09:57 AM.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #183
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Hi, Kelleigh,

I didn't see the post you mention...but I can sure tell you what floaters are! Unfortunately! Floaters, as defined by my dictionary are: "a speck or small thread in the visual field (our eyeballs!), usually perceived to be moving, caused by the minute aggregations of cells or proteins in the vitreous humor of the eye."

I think you are too young to have developed them for the same reasons I have--middle-age!! :-) It is quite common for those of us aging baby boomers to suddenly wake up one day--to find that these annoying things have moved in and onto our field of vision. One night I went to bed--and they weren't there---and the next morning, I woke up--and they were! They appeared exactly as the dictionary describes: tiny black dots and what looked like a small piece of sewing thread! They are itsy-bitsy--but so annoying!

So--these bizarre things just float around in your vision (mine are only on the left side of my left eye). And it the most weird phenomenon, because if they are "floating" from left to right, like mine do--you'd think they would eventually "float" to the end of your eyeball....and OUT OF SIGHT!! LOL! But, of course, that's not what happens. If you concentrate on them (which you do when you first get them), you see them as the same darn specks and threads moving across your eyeball--over and over.

I was horrified when it first occurred--but then I learned that half of the middle-aged population wake up to the same problem. At first it drove me nuts...it distracted me so much I could barely read...I kept covering my left eye to keep them from floating over the words on each page!! But, after a few months, that left eye actually learned to "ignore" them. It was as if the fact that they were continually there, allowed my brain to just absorb them as part of my normal view! So--like a tiny mole that formed on your face years and years ago--you just stop "seeing" it when you look in the mirror.

And--luckily--I now rarely "see" them at all--unless I specifically "call" them into view. (i.e.; stop to think they they are even there!! ) It's difficult to explain...but you get the concept??

How do "floaters" apply to you? Did someone ask you if you had them?? If you have any more questions, just let me know! :-) Lynn

Old 05-09-2004, 11:09 AM   #184
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twinlynn
    Hi, Kelleigh,

I didn't see the post you mention...but I can sure tell you what floaters are! Unfortunately! Floaters, as defined by my dictionary are: "a speck or small thread in the visual field (our eyeballs!), usually perceived to be moving, caused by the minute aggregations of cells or proteins in the vitreous humor of the eye."

I think you are too young to have developed them for the same reasons I have--middle-age!! :-) It is quite common for those of us aging baby boomers to suddenly wake up one day--to find that these annoying things have moved in and onto our field of vision. One night I went to bed--and they weren't there---and the next morning, I woke up--and they were! They appeared exactly as the dictionary describes: tiny black dots and what looked like a small piece of sewing thread! They are itsy-bitsy--but so annoying!

So--these bizarre things just float around in your vision (mine are only on the left side of my left eye). And it the most weird phenomenon, because if they are "floating" from left to right, like mine do--you'd think they would eventually "float" to the end of your eyeball....and OUT OF SIGHT!! LOL! But, of course, that's not what happens. If you concentrate on them (which you do when you first get them), you see them as the same darn specks and threads moving across your eyeball--over and over.

I was horrified when it first occurred--but then I learned that half of the middle-aged population wake up to the same problem. At first it drove me nuts...it distracted me so much I could barely read...I kept covering my left eye to keep them from floating over the words on each page!! But, after a few months, that left eye actually learned to "ignore" them. It was as if the fact that they were continually there, allowed my brain to just absorb them as part of my normal view! So--like a tiny mole that formed on your face years and years ago--you just stop "seeing" it when you look in the mirror.

And--luckily--I now rarely "see" them at all--unless I specifically "call" them into view. (i.e.; stop to think they they are even there!! ) It's difficult to explain...but you get the concept??

How do "floaters" apply to you? Did someone ask you if you had them?? If you have any more questions, just let me know! :-) Lynn
    hey there thanks for the info she asked me because she said she could relate to my prickly skin from anxiety and then she asked me if i had floaters in my eyes thats how it all came up thanks kelleigh

Old 05-09-2004, 11:54 AM   #185
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by howard678
    <>

Kelleigh,

I hit you right between the eyes so to speak initially because it is early in the game for you, and you thus have the best chance of getting off easy. Can think of one in here that was taking Xanax once in a while then started taking them daily for a couple of weeks and was nervous about it. I and a few others entered the thread, and she soon flushed the pills. Said she would not go back. Well, if one was saved the misery all of my effort has been worth it.

Mise Ata Ann,

I have a difficult time understanding the profit motive, drug companies and benzos. Most must be buying generics and there are several manufacturers of these in the U.S. 30 .5 mg Xanaxes used to cost me $11. 60 5 mg Valiums cost the same. Would be the same price without insurance. Sure a lot of a little could add up to a lot, but I would like to see some figures on some of these drug companies profits on these drugs... Seems the big bucks would be in the SSRIs with valid patents, branded your only choice, and prices are way high. Same goes with Ambien. I probably would have switched to Ambien (yes, am now aware of the dangers) but the price detered me, $80 for a month`s supply.

Also, benzos were effective for me for much longer than one month. Was a great sleep aid for over a year. I also was able to quit after 9 months, off about 3 months, just did not want to bother going to the doc. Did the same for 10 days less than a year ago. No withdrawals either time. But had no intention of giving them up for good. Was still in the dark regarding consequences. Am by no means claiming I am typical in these regards, but it is my true experience. May be why I am more inclined to suggest "flushing" the pills to very short term users. Think there may be a real chance they are not hooked yet, and if not, no point in staying on them slow tapering and perhaps getting hooked in the process. What an irony that would be...
    hi howard do you thinki there is a chance if i just stopped takin klonopin i'd be ok just curious cause i read the part about becoming more dependant as you taper post me back kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-09-2004 at 11:55 AM.

Old 05-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #186
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

<>

I personally think there is a good chance you will not have withdrawals from the Klonopin if you stopped immediately. But you may want to take an anti-seizure med for a week to play it safe. This is only my opinion. Others that stick to the same core outlook I have may disagree. But, whatever problems you were having before you took the Klonopin are liable to be waiting for you. But there are numerous personal, psychological, and spiritual strategies that can be employed to combat this. These include a good diet, exercise, coming to grips with what is going on in your body and the fact that it is not permanent, and removing oneself from more stressful situations if and when possible. One thing I discovered last night at the suggestion of a friend, you can now truly get a healthy meal at a fast food drive through, one of Wendy`s specialty salads. Finally! Never noticed that part of the menu before. Distraction is good, getting one`s mind off of the situation and involved in positive activities. Or any distraction, watching TV, whatever channels you like best.

Old 05-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #187
    mise ata ann
    Inactive

mise ata ann HB User

Quote:
    <>

Kelleigh,

Mise Ata Ann,

howard - you have hit the nail on the head. Unanswerable as far as I know. Often pondered that - could you actually cause addiction with a long taper? Aye - for sure. I am with you on the flush them if you have been on a short time and on a low dose (but the seizure problem is real and I would suggest that a doc prescribe an anti sizure med for a bit?) - after all - all a person has to do is to stop dead. Boy - you find out damn fast about the withdrawal symptoms if you are going to have them. Then reinstate and taper. In fact - that is how it happened for me!
    I will try and find some facts and figures on xanax - but have have heard of huge profits - from reasonably sensible sources - will come back to you on that!
    Mise

Old 05-09-2004, 04:13 PM   #188
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

< Mise>>

It is true that the branded Xanax and Valiums are pricey. I do not know how many splurge for them. I have tried both branded and generic of both and noticed no real difference. I can think of four different companies off the top of my head that make generic Valiums, and that is just in the U.S.

Old 05-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #189
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

<>

Pretty much the same experience here, but cut out the daytime dosing, effectively cutting the dose in half. 3 days later, bam. Instinct told me to take a pill and it all went away. Confirmation, I was in trouble.

Old 05-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #190
    marich101

marich101 HB User

Sorry about my earlier post, somehow someway I wondered onto the wrong board. Didn't say much but was sounding a wee bit defensive. AGAIN I apologize

Old 05-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #191
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marich101
    Sorry about my earlier post, somehow someway I wondered onto the wrong board. Didn't say much but was sounding a wee bit defensive. AGAIN I apologize
    No problem whatsoever. If you took a bit of Valium only during a traumatic time and got off without getting hooked I am glad for you.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:57 PM   #192
    marich101

marich101 HB User

Thanks haven't been here long enough to get a "rep" for being a troublemaker...............that will come in good time! Later

Old 05-09-2004, 10:49 PM   #193
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marich101
    Thanks haven't been here long enough to get a "rep" for being a troublemaker...............that will come in good time! Later
    It is truly nothing. We are all here because we have or have had problems and the goal is to get better. We are on the same team.

Old 05-10-2004, 05:54 AM   #194
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    <>

I personally think there is a good chance you will not have withdrawals from the Klonopin if you stopped immediately. But you may want to take an anti-seizure med for a week to play it safe. This is only my opinion. Others that stick to the same core outlook I have may disagree. But, whatever problems you were having before you took the Klonopin are liable to be waiting for you. But there are numerous personal, psychological, and spiritual strategies that can be employed to combat this. These include a good diet, exercise, coming to grips with what is going on in your body and the fact that it is not permanent, and removing oneself from more stressful situations if and when possible. One thing I discovered last night at the suggestion of a friend, you can now truly get a healthy meal at a fast food drive through, one of Wendy`s specialty salads. Finally! Never noticed that part of the menu before. Distraction is good, getting one`s mind off of the situation and involved in positive activities. Or any distraction, watching TV, whatever channels you like best.
    thanks howard i can always count on you those salads at wendys are awesome thanks for your advice did you read my other post to you i forget what page it's on about my bosses grandson i'll find the page so you don't have to go searching thanks again howard your good people kelleigh p.s its page 36

Last edited by no patience; 05-10-2004 at 05:57 AM.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:35 AM   #195
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

one more thing howard i got a new computer for mothers day so now i definitly can't stay away i also wanted to respond to your post about going to n/a meetings unfortunatly i have gone and atleast half of them are still using and it just made me sick to see thes people getting recognition for something they really did'nt achieve one person even offered to go try some heroin after the meeting uh no thanks good meeting huh i can't get support from people who have'nt even became clean thereselves thanks for all your support though i wish you lived close by i've found a friend in you (hope you don't mind my saying that)thanks for everything kelleigh

Closed Thread