It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• when does it end

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #61
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User
    Re: when does it end

Jennita,

Acquaintances and associates that have no idea about the benzo withdrawal say they do not know how I do it. I actually have two jobs, one long hours and high stress, one short hours, low stress. I guess I do not like the alternative, sitting at home watching grade B movies and my bank balance shrink. And I have had a very extensive physical exam and all is good, so I am probably not going to drop dead. But I do plan on some employment changes in the near future. A lot of things inspire me like Churchill`s quote when the bombs kept falling, "We will never surrender." That and the fact that I have acquired a lot of experience at feeling crappy off and on. Affects me less... Thanks for the encouragement and the hug.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 05:02 AM   #62
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by howard678
    Jennita,

Acquaintances and associates that have no idea about the benzo withdrawal say they do not know how I do it. I actually have two jobs, one long hours and high stress, one short hours, low stress. I guess I do not like the alternative, sitting at home watching grade B movies and my bank balance shrink. And I have had a very extensive physical exam and all is good, so I am probably not going to drop dead. But I do plan on some employment changes in the near future. A lot of things inspire me like Churchill`s quote when the bombs kept falling, "We will never surrender." That and the fact that I have acquired a lot of experience at feeling crappy off and on. Affects me less... Thanks for the encouragement and the hug.
    howard if you don't mind my asking what are the benzow/d symptoms i hear their worse than what i went through with methadone thanks kelleigh

Old 04-25-2004, 07:26 AM   #63
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Jennita,

howard i completly understand your story iknow methadone and benzos are 2 different things but when i went cold turkey i still had to work 6 days a week and raise my 7 yearr old daughter and i was working 2 jobs but it just got to be to much one of my jobs which i still do is clean houses which wasnt much fun when you had to drag yourself everywhere by your arms its amazing the willpower we get when we know we have to do something even though we feel like crud all our everyday things we do for some of us just have to be done know matter what i sympathize with your situation even though you seem to be handling it like a champ chat later kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-25-2004 at 07:27 AM.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:22 AM   #64
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Thanks Kay Leigh!

Update on Trazadone. Tried one last night. Got no sedation, only some weird feelings and a bad case of dry mouth, a listed side effect. Guess I am one of the ones it does not work well for. One experiment is enough. Glad it has a short half-life, will not be any real traces in my body for long.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:00 PM   #65
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Thanks Kay Leigh!

Update on Trazadone. Tried one last night. Got no sedation, only some weird feelings and a bad case of dry mouth, a listed side effect. Guess I am one of the ones it does not work well for. One experiment is enough. Glad it has a short half-life, will not be any real traces in my body for long.
    sorry to hear that thats strange about getting wierd feelings what was the dose you took ? sorry it did'nt help maybe it doesnt help with benzow/d was that thanks sarcastic

Last edited by no patience; 04-25-2004 at 12:04 PM.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:18 PM   #66
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

<>

50 mgs. It produced no sedation and unwanted side effects. I will take no more, nor will I take an SSRI. Antihistamine is good enough right now to get me to sleep if necessary. If that stops working, I will keep going without sleep, sooner or later the body will get exhausted and you will sleep.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:29 PM   #67
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User

Quote:
    Jennita,

Howard, If you didn't know, Churchill was an addict in college. Proof we can overcome. Star

Old 04-25-2004, 05:08 PM   #68
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    <>

50 mgs. It produced no sedation and unwanted side effects. I will take no more, nor will I take an SSRI. Antihistamine is good enough right now to get me to sleep if necessary. If that stops working, I will keep going without sleep, sooner or later the body will get exhausted and you will sleep.
    again sorry to hear that hope you sleep normally soon sorry for the poor recomendation just wanted to help kelleigh

Old 04-25-2004, 08:54 PM   #69
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Star,

We will overcome if we want to, even if it hurts.

Kay Leigh,

Do not worry about the recommendation on the Trazadone. My doc wanted me to try it. I did plenty of research and decided to give it a trial. No biggie. Would have regardless of your recommendation. My system does not want it. Is the way it goes...

Old 04-25-2004, 09:57 PM   #70
    rosietee
    Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Hey guys, re the trazadone, years ago it did wonders for me and my sleep (loved it). Then I didn't take it for a long time. I tried it a couple years ago and I HATED it and the way it made me feel. Then again, I love ambien, and others hate that. So go figure.

rosie

Old 04-25-2004, 11:57 PM   #71
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Jennita,

Your welcome! You are lucky to be so healthy, that will help you in the long run...I've heard of some people not only having problems with drugs but also with poor health/diseases at the same time....I can't imagine that, can you?

My brother-in-law is a repiratory therapist and went through some high stress times (emotional too, when patients' die!). He took up skateboarding, of all things, he's in his fourties! He says it helps his stress alot. I guess we all must find what can do that for us...for me it's the gym and walking around Disneyland( South Calf. residents annual pass keeps it affordable). Both my brother-in-law and I are just big kids really.

Exercise will help the most I do believe; makes you feel so much better, whether it's at the gym or shooting hoops at the park, riding a bike, etc.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:56 AM   #72
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Star,

We will overcome if we want to, even if it hurts.

Kay Leigh,

Do not worry about the recommendation on the Trazadone. My doc wanted me to try it. I did plenty of research and decided to give it a trial. No biggie. Would have regardless of your recommendation. My system does not want it. Is the way it goes...
    howard i admire you to be able to do this w/out the aid of ssris or any thing else you must be very strong i know benzo w/ds are suppose to be awful how long have you been going through this?kelleigh

Old 04-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #73
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Kay Leigh,

6 months. I jumped off of a 1 mg a day dose of Klonopin using a barbituate for help the first week. 26 days off my nerves were still raw and the intermittant pressure in my upper back, neck, and head led me to cave in and do things properly by slow tapering a long acting benzo. If I had it to do over I probably would have stuck it out as the hell usually ends within 3 months, but hindsight is 20/20. Now I am down to a relatively low dose of Valium and wil taper it over about 3 or 4 months, making about a 7 month taper. I have taken only 6 sick days from work through it all. Amazing what you can do when you have to. Next time there will be no looking back.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:31 AM   #74
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

WOW!!keep up the great work and don't forget better days are coming an again it,s great you can you do it w/o any other meds one more question when your taper is done is everything over with like thaw/ds and stuff?

Old 04-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #75
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

<>

No, tapering slow does not mean one will have no withdrawals when you come off completely. Most surely do and I`d be very surprised if I do not have them. But the landing should be much softer dropping from a very small dose, withdrawals less severe as the brain along the way has adjusted to accepting less and less of the drug. One typically feels the real effects of coming off for around 3 months. It is not uncommon to feel some level of the effects from time to time for a year or two as the brain fully adjusts back to it`s pre-benzo state. But, I strongly suspect that I will be functional, effective, and enjoying life during such time. Outcomes vary person to person so it is a wait and see thing. Look for the best, be prepared for any potholes in the road. Is the only way out. Only other option once hooked, keep taking the drugs, keep increasing and increasing doses digging a deeper hole, chasing relief. That is not going to happen here...

Closed Thread