It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• when does it end

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2004, 04:26 AM   #106
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
    Re: when does it end

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DannDees
    kayleigh, Hi...I feel great but I am not completely normal yet I do still get a little anxiety but less now that I am getting some sleep. The thing is that since I now know what it is , it doesn't scare me as much..I know yours might be much harder then mine but try to talking to yourself as they are happening..3 mo. is along time but you went c/t from 50mg. I would give it some more time..How often are you having the anxiety..are they attacks or are is it constant? mine come as attacks and last 10 to 20 minutes..
    Jennita, I took your advice and only had to take a half of amitrypilene 1 night to sleep. My sleep came back exactly as you described. Minutes to half hours, half hours to hours..I am getting about 5 to 6 hours now and am extremely grateful.. before the withdraw I would have felt deprived with only 5 to 6 hous since I have always been one that loves my sleep and I demanded at least 8 hours..The only pill I now take is my thyroid med..I want to start exercising as I truly believe you know what you are talking about. I made an appointment 4 months ago ( the wait is that long ) to get a shock in the ear to quit smoking. The date just happens to be this tues.I have to fly to st. louis as this is the only place in u.s. to do it. Geez, if this works I will be completely free from any substance having some control over me..Suppose to have a 95% success rate..I found out about it on 20/20....I am so exicted. When I made the appointment I thought hey it might help me with the methadone also, I never thought I would be off of it before the appt. Gods plan for me was different then my own..So much thanks to you for all your knowledge..I am sure you will be needed on this board time and time again..hope you never get tired of helping people.Noone around me could imagine what I was going through. I wished I found this board early in my withdraws. I actually found myself on a pro mehadone board with people telling me to stay on it. It was completely safe on al body organs..Is the brain an organ..lol...Guess it isn't as important to them as it is to me.sorry post is so long..I am off to get my SLEPP>>hehe
    danndees my panic was everyday from feb 3 (when i quit methadone) until april 5 i was having attacks all the time i don't know if you read my other reply to you but i would end up going to wrong places like my primary doc instead of my pain doc and then driving 30 minutes to an appointment and saying to my self i don't have an appt today and turn around get half way home and reality would set in and i would say sh-t i do have one my panic was so bad i was taking it out on mydaughter and not meaning to she would ask the smallest questions and i'd start freaking out and going into an attack which i know the breathing technique but i had to do this over 6 times aday so finally i said my daughter can't suffer this anymore i feared for her because i drive her to school and take her many other places and did'nt want to have one with her in the car and end up off the road it was that bad that's why i have to take these stupid meds i don't want to but i'll see tomorrow if i need them long term if this is from the methadone i think i may have a few choice words for my primary doc for not weaning me properly oh one more thing i smoke also my councelor said i can't quit yet it may cause a set back but on wednesday i'm done with those to my boss and i are doing it together i cant believe some of the things we have in common i swear i have a long lost twin i'm so happy you're feeling better especially with no meds to today is day 90 for me and i'm still not doing 100 % but i envy you for doing so well after 17 days sorry so long luv kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-03-2004 at 04:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #107
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

howard when you are benzo free we will celebrate. you're experience has given me hope and with all i've read about benzo w/d and tapering it just sounds awful and it's like you're handling so well and the role part comes from doing this with out any aid except benadryl that to me is just awesome and now i have a goal to slowly rid my body of all theses stupid drugs and you've given me the will power to do that just from reading about your experience thank you so much (and jennita also) just reading your replys to each other has helped me so much i can't thank you enough kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-03-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #108
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

howard i also wanted you to know that today is 90 days methadone free got rid of one med hopefully soon the rest will go to kelleigh

Old 05-04-2004, 04:34 AM   #109
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

hi howard i was hoping you were on last night i have an appointment today with the one prescribing me klonopin and need some advice about what i should say to her hope your doing well kelleigh

Old 05-04-2004, 11:43 AM   #110
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DannDees
    kayleigh, Hi...I feel great but I am not completely normal yet I do still get a little anxiety but less now that I am getting some sleep. The thing is that since I now know what it is , it doesn't scare me as much..I know yours might be much harder then mine but try to talking to yourself as they are happening..3 mo. is along time but you went c/t from 50mg. I would give it some more time..How often are you having the anxiety..are they attacks or are is it constant? mine come as attacks and last 10 to 20 minutes..
    Jennita, I took your advice and only had to take a half of amitrypilene 1 night to sleep. My sleep came back exactly as you described. Minutes to half hours, half hours to hours..I am getting about 5 to 6 hours now and am extremely grateful.. before the withdraw I would have felt deprived with only 5 to 6 hous since I have always been one that loves my sleep and I demanded at least 8 hours..The only pill I now take is my thyroid med..I want to start exercising as I truly believe you know what you are talking about. I made an appointment 4 months ago ( the wait is that long ) to get a shock in the ear to quit smoking. The date just happens to be this tues.I have to fly to st. louis as this is the only place in u.s. to do it. Geez, if this works I will be completely free from any substance having some control over me..Suppose to have a 95% success rate..I found out about it on 20/20....I am so exicted. When I made the appointment I thought hey it might help me with the methadone also, I never thought I would be off of it before the appt. Gods plan for me was different then my own..So much thanks to you for all your knowledge..I am sure you will be needed on this board time and time again..hope you never get tired of helping people.Noone around me could imagine what I was going through. I wished I found this board early in my withdraws. I actually found myself on a pro mehadone board with people telling me to stay on it. It was completely safe on al body organs..Is the brain an organ..lol...Guess it isn't as important to them as it is to me.sorry post is so long..I am off to get my SLEPP>>hehe
    Ha, yeh, why do people forget it's an organ and not just a bunch of emotions/feelings/thoughts? It's the grand master of the body, regulating things like our heartbeat and breathing....is it any wonder how meds screw with those things? Screw with the brain, and you screw with the body. For an example, when I've visited other boards, I have heard people on antidepressants complain about heart-racing and lack of satisfying breath after they would start the AD and still not get it. I'd even point out that those things are listed side effects. And as we know, the liver and kidneys bear the burden's of processing the drugs. So you are not alone in your wondering why people do not take their brain seriously in matters of the health of the body!

I don't recall corresponding with you but I am so happy I could help!!! I'm also glad to hear your sleep has come back. I've been told and also it has been my experience as well that it will continue to improve, even if it takes months/years. It will reach whatever level is required for health, whether it be 6 hours, 7 or 8. Everybody is different in the amount of sleep they need and it changes as people get older....my mother-in-law said since she got older, her average is 4 1/2 to 5 hours a night but it is enough and she feels good. Usually most of us need 7 hours in adulthood although 6 hours a night is considered normal sleep.

I'm so happy for your sleep victory! And yes, the exercise will help as we know in all areas of health, it will keep your blood pressure down and more.

Good luck with quiting smoking, oh boy, there's something that slowly killed my uncle over many years so I hope that technique works for you; I never heard of it but it sounds promising being on such a program as 20/20. I will keep trying to help people from time to time; now, with your experience you can easily do the same.... I truly believe that people can win this thing, no amount of lawsuits against drug companies concerning the negative effects/promises of psychoactive drugs will have the same power as people spreading the word of how unhealthy and damaging the drugs have been for them.

We also have to be grateful to such people and professionals who speak out like Anne Tracy, Peter Breggin, Joseph Glenmullen, Heather Ashton and other professionals/websites who help explain these drugs. Sometimes they do come on too strong but if you can look past that and really read what they know, it becomes clear that any drug that is a mind/mood drug has dangers, illegal and legal!

Last edited by Jennita; 05-04-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #111
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

hi jennita i read all your posts and let me tell you are so well educated on this subject and i don't mean this in a sarcastic way but you should write a book i am so amazed at all the information you've written i can't even begin to tell you how much i've learned just from you and howard corresponding back and forth i know i've thanked you guys over and over but i just can't say enough to you my eyes have been opened to yet another drug i was so nieve to again thanks and i'm glad you stay on the board to keep informing people of the harm that these drugs can cause kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-04-2004 at 12:21 PM.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:13 PM   #112
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Kelleigh,

Sorry I was not on yesterday, but my ISP was down all evening. Thank you for the encouragement. You beat methodone, great, just hope you tread softly with the Klonopin.

Jennita,

Was funny in my case, Xanax was a good sleep aid for at least a year with no tolerance building. Valium was a much better one but only for a month. It has some real strong sedating effects for a while which, like some said on a forum, subside in about a month. I deal with withdrawal symptoms but am not sure how much is related to cuts, how much to tolerance, guess there is no way to differentiate and thus know. I am glad the lady was trying to work. I have done it with little or no sleep. Some of us, unfortunately, when it comes to that will have to go down swinging if we go down at all in that regard. I have read of people that could not answer the telephone or door while tapering. Well in my case, there would be no telephone to not answer, no door either unless it be that of my automobile but when a cop is knocking with a flashlight, you got to answer, benzo withdrawals or not.

As to SSRIs, not interested here, too risky, and they often speed people up which is the last thing I need.

Old 05-05-2004, 04:09 AM   #113
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by howard678
    Kelleigh,

Sorry I was not on yesterday, but my ISP was down all evening. Thank you for the encouragement. You beat methodone, great, just hope you tread softly with the Klonopin.

Jennita,

Was funny in my case, Xanax was a good sleep aid for at least a year with no tolerance building. Valium was a much better one but only for a month. It has some real strong sedating effects for a while which, like some said on a forum, subside in about a month. I deal with withdrawal symptoms but am not sure how much is related to cuts, how much to tolerance, guess there is no way to differentiate and thus know. I am glad the lady was trying to work. I have done it with little or no sleep. Some of us, unfortunately, when it comes to that will have to go down swinging if we go down at all in that regard. I have read of people that could not answer the telephone or door while tapering. Well in my case, there would be no telephone to not answer, no door either unless it be that of my automobile but when a cop is knocking with a flashlight, you got to answer, benzo withdrawals or not.

As to SSRIs, not interested here, too risky, and they often speed people up which is the last thing I need.
    howard thats ok one question whats is an isp ? you're welcome for th encouragement and the klonopin i'm not taking the prescribed dose hopefully that will be in my favor hope you're well talk to you soon kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-05-2004 at 11:35 AM.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #114
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

howard i know i'm a pain in the but but my dr visit yesterday they told me i deinitly have an underlying anxiety disorder i know your not a doctoe but how do they know its not from the methadone the told me it's social anxiety disorder and i'm asking you because i know you may have some other answers this whole klonopin thing just freaks me out i've actually cut back on the dose though and have noticed i get a bit anxious would that be from a w/d or is it to soon for that sorry to be a pain talk later kelleigh

Old 05-05-2004, 02:10 PM   #115
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by no patience
    howard i know i'm a pain in the but but my dr visit yesterday they told me i deinitly have an underlying anxiety disorder i know your not a doctoe but how do they know its not from the methadone the told me it's social anxiety disorder and i'm asking you because i know you may have some other answers this whole klonopin thing just freaks me out i've actually cut back on the dose though and have noticed i get a bit anxious would that be from a w/d or is it to soon for that sorry to be a pain talk later kelleigh
    One question: did you have the same problems/symptoms before the methadone? I mean actual symptoms, not life/emotional issues. If not, then it's not underlying, it's drug-induced. This underlying stuff is the same bull-puckey as the magical "unmasked" condition that happens when on a med.

For example, as howard mentioned, SSri's have the tendency to speed people up; if you get a bit too speedy it could resemble a manic episode, in which case the doctor will say the person was probably bi-polar all along and the SSRi simply "unmasked" the condition. Well, I wonder what was masking it before and why not just stop the substance that did the unmasking.........thereby lets just throw that mask back on, you know? Instead, they decide that they must now medicate the unmasked conditon with more drugs, this time it's for life.

So apparentely, people can be going around with such an illness as bi-polar and have no symptoms at all intil the introduction of an SSRi? That's plain retarded if you ask me and why would anyone buy into it......well, I'm sure they comb the person's past and manage to find some behavior or reaction to a life situation that fits their very broad criteria since mental disorders seem to have a zillion layers/degrees and almost any unsocial/acceptable behavior or habit may be able to be scrutinized as abnormal.

I'm sure there are legitamite mental cases out there, but in reality they are very rare. I believe some are drug (legal or illegal) induced, starvation or a trauma induced event from what I've read. Certainly, some disorders are not really disorders but reactions to life and hardships.....remove the hardships and the disorder is gone (unfortunately, some hardships are here to stay and sometimes we need to relearn how to react to life and expectations).

Social Anxiety is not uncommon since people have changed in these times. Most people are not trustworthy or truthful. Some are vengeful, violent, judgemental or downright mean. Some people expect way too much of others and like to make fun of others to boost their own egos. Of course, there are good souls still out there but weeding them out is very difficult. So no wonder there is such a thing as social anxiety, but I think it's more a social disease than a person disease!

But now everyone and their brother is on a med for this thing or that, and every problem, life situation or emotional feeling becomes a disorder. This is very profitable for the psychiatric and drug communities.

So, they are selling something..... now the question is, are you buying?

Old 05-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #116
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

No patience,

"Social Anxiety Disorder" is the new catch all for about anything then follow the SSRIs or God forbid benzos. Anyone dealing with drug withdrawal faces anxiety. Is why the alcoholic does not want to come out of their house for a week (just a week, they are very blessed) until they are detoxed and felling better. I had a level of anxiety when I was first prescribed Xanax but I was in a tough job situation that I have long sense been away from. It was also prescribed for sleep. Well, I did not know the meaning of the word "anxiety" until I tried to come off Xanax. Feelings never before imagined. Drug withdrawal, and no one, M.D. or not, will ever succeed in pinning one of these new psychiatric labels on me. I know what is going on. That is my experience. As to yours, you must decide for yourself.

Old 05-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #117
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

jennita and howard i did have a social thing before i was on methadone could never be around to many people i moved around alot as a kid and spent most of my life making new friends and then losing them needless to say i was shy of alot of social situations that i do remember even if it meant going to an aunt or uncles house for dinner i just did'nt want to go i was to embarassed and hated being the center of attention in any situation even if it was my how you've grown or whatever it maybe so as time moved on i still suffered in social situations like my husband would want me to go to dinner with his side of the family and i would dread it and make every excuse not to go but then i went on methadone lets just say it made me a totally different person i could talk to anyone any where any time go to any function you name it i was there i don't know if that is social anxiety or just the person i am i hate this situation because i feel like i'm going crazy do i have anxiety or don't i i know you can't answer that but this whole situation just seems like its never ending now i can barely even go out of my house anymore for work yeah i hate even going to my sisters or brothers house i have so many issues and have been looking to you 2 for guidance because you both are so well educated in this area and about the buying and the selling i have'nt purchased any thing yet with all i've read on these boards and all i've been through with drs i 'm losing complete faith in them thank you guys for caring enough to warn me though you guys have been great talk later kelleigh i completly understand where you guys are coming from though it's awful they make a pill for everything i wish i was'nt so nieve to all them when ifirst started methadone for my chronic pain

Last edited by no patience; 05-05-2004 at 05:48 PM.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:19 PM   #118
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

<>

I`ve heard this affirmation before but personally think there are a lot of people that need to be on meds, that or institutionalized, and have real problems with people on the net writing with an aire of scientific authority (not saying you are one) strongly implying or downright telling people they do not know from Adam to drop all meds, this based on drug company conspiracy theories. I would not be surprised if some, if not many deaths have occured as a result. How many that just up and go away from the boards are now in the ground? Though there may be some profit driven motives when it comes to SSRIs, but hardly with benzos as the patents have long run out and people typically get dirt cheap generics.

The insane has been with us in abundance since the beginning of recorded history. I have observed them in action, bi-polar and the like, it`s far out, and all I can think of right now claimed the condition pre-existed the meds. One may debate cause and effect, but if the truth be known, there is mystery here. I think most doctors would admit this but if it comes down to suicide or strong meds, an institution or experiment with meds, perhaps let the doctors do their jobs and try the meds. I dare not toy with their conditions, out of my league. Though I know there is a lot of over-prescribing and too little non-drug therapy. The disclaimers that go with these forums should be truly heeded and not viewed as simply a CYA...

Last edited by howard678; 05-05-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:09 PM   #119
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Kelleigh,

IMO, an internet diagnosis is not always the best idea, unless you have the ability to seperate the wheat, the chaff, and the questionable and apply what is needed to your situation. And just thinking about these messes all day, reading in these forums, etc. can create alot of problems of their own. I know what I was like before the Xanax and I am trying to get back there, slowly but surely. It is going to hurt. Withdrawal from addictive drugs hurts. But keeping a positive outlook and avoiding anger and despair, or people that enourage such, is a plus. I am no stranger to either, but have realized I cannot afford those luxuries at this time.

What you describe does not sound like insanity to me. But you did mention that you had suicidal idealizations so I thus defer to the professionals, though such thoughts in and of themselves would not necessarily make one insane I do not think.

I have always had some difficulty in intimate social situations, but love large gatherings, crowds, and exciting, never a dull moment work around people. That is me. I live with it, may improve some over time. But I do not need meds.

I suggest looking for some real hope, something much bigger than you will find from any human being. Small steps may turn into giant ones, and doubt may gradually transform into faith. I recommend NA Meetings, right up your alley as you kicked methodone, plus the Hazelden website is good. Getting around people, people you relate to, that can actually hear, see, and even hug you may be a huge help. This all takes action on your part. It is up to you. I had to seek the right sort of support for me, mental, emotional, and spiritual. I have a little bit, need more, will get it. Shut down the computer and go after it friend. :-)

Last edited by howard678; 05-05-2004 at 11:36 PM.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #120
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

oh yea,

ISP: Internet Service Provider

Closed Thread