HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addiction & Recovery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/)
-   -   when does it end (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/163404-when-does-end.html)

no patience 04-06-2004 05:23 PM

when does it end

:yawn: it has been 2 months i have been off methadone thanks to all of the messages ive read on health boards it was really encouraging to know i wasnt the only one in this situation the reason im writing is because ive been off methadone 3o mgs for chronic back pain and decided it was consuming me 2 months later i still have severe anxiety depression and just have no self worth or pleasure in anything and my patience is wearing pretty ****** thin can some one tell me if this is normal ifeel like im in some one elses body

Karla 04-06-2004 05:34 PM

Re: when does it end

I just quit using the duragesic patch. I have been on opiates for 5 years. I am having increased anxiety attachs also. My dr put me on a low dose of xanax for the anxiety and upped my antidepressent to also help. Good luck in staying of the methadone.

no patience 04-06-2004 05:51 PM

the only time it really gave me euphoria was when i didnt have any for a day or so i didnt really take it to get high but just to make the withdrawals go away iwas so scared to come off of it because the withdrawal the worst part for me was the prickly skin from the anxiety and no energy and i also now have panic attacks my therapist put me on klonopin due to having panic and these pain in the a.. prickling feelings in my face lips arms and shoulders for 2 months i was ready to die thanx for responding

tryinmybest 04-06-2004 06:24 PM

Paitence,

After two months and with a dose of 30 mgs you should not be feeling any residual effects of the meth. I think your anxiety is unrelated. The meth is a good mask for these things. Meth is a long acting drug. It seems to drag you down forever after you quit. But at two months, the physical withdrawal symptoms are gone. We sometimes link all of our woes to our encounters with opiates. I've kicked much higher doses several times. Most of my methadone detoxes were courtesy of the state. No weaning, no xanax, if you get my picture. Takes 30 days to really start to get your full energy back. My belief is you got the physical part licked!

TMB

no patience 04-06-2004 06:36 PM

thanks for the info i know the phsycal part is over but cant understand thes lasting prickly feeling in my skin and no self worth i am on effexor and switching to lexapro also just started klonopin which im kind of nervous about its just amazing how many other things i have to take know just to be of the wonder drug my life has been more of a mess off it than on it thanx tmb it helps

no patience 04-06-2004 06:45 PM

thank you for your response it makes it easier knowing its a normal thing to feel this way i thought i was crazy and it was all in what mind i have left thanx meredith

Banker 04-08-2004 08:11 PM

I can say that I'm sure the people that wrote to you read your replys. They probably just thought that you had all of the info you needed from your original question. I couldn't respond to your other post so I replied here. I haven't been through this but I have heard that meth withdrawal can last months and months. But I don't know AND 30 mgs doesn't seem like much to me...
Just FYI - if you ever write a post and need more feedback on it, then start a new thread so everyone will see it again. Take care and what exactly do you mean from 'prickly skin'?

Take care,

Banker

no patience 04-09-2004 12:32 PM

banker the prickly skin is from anxiety it just feels like the feeling when your in fight mode and i have had it for 2 months and its pretty annoying dealing with it day after day thanks for your reply it helps later kelleigh

farmboy7 04-13-2004 05:57 PM

Hi no patience,
How are you doing now? I am wondering because I am considering weaning off of methadone that I take for my chronic back pain. I tried a quick switch to more of a different opiate last week (doctors idea) and had a bad withdrawal. How is your pain now and what are you doing for it?

thanks,
farmboy7

no patience 04-14-2004 08:35 AM

hey whats up it is so hard to switch from methadone to another opiate because the withdrawals from the meth still shine through one thing that did help me a little was my doc weaned me off with a fentynal patch right now im taking celebrex but not working ive tried everything the sad thing is ill probably end up back on it because my pain sucks and its the only thing that helps you to function w/out pain i dont mean to discourage you about weaning off but if you do my heart goes out to you its tough thanx kelleigh and good luck if your pain is that bad i suggest staying on it i think i made a mistake

howard678 04-15-2004 09:27 PM

Off opiates and on Klonopin... You have jumped from the frying pan into the fire. Sorry people, but I cannot believe the ignorance of these doctors. Want to really know about hell? Try kicking that stuff if you get addicted. Ask Stevie Knicks and many others.

no patience 04-16-2004 05:13 AM

[QUOTE=howard678]Off opiates and on Klonopin... You have jumped from the frying pan into the fire. Sorry people, but I cannot believe the ignorance of these doctors. Want to really know about hell? Try kicking that stuff if you get addicted. Ask Stevie Knicks and many others.[/QUOTE]
thats so funny you wrote this i was just gonna post and ask if any one knew any thing about klonopin why do people get addicted because when i take it it doesnt do any thing but calm me down it doesnt give me any kind of euphoria howard right back and let me know some more details cause ive been really scared about these especially being in the dark about them thanx let me know pleeaase kelleigh

Jennita 04-16-2004 11:10 AM

I'll jump in here...by the way, howard, I hope you are doing better...remember, it does take the brain some time to recover from benzo use...been there, done that too!

No patience, addiction is really a misunderstood term. Addiction is a combo of physical dependancy along with social and behavioral issues. Most addictive drugs have the ability to create euphorias at higher doses. Higher doses of benzos like klonopin usually will simply put one to sleep. Not much in the euphoria dept there.

I commonly tell people benzos are addictive, but sometimes I need to clarify that to some people. Benzos create sometimes huge physical dependancy. Physical dependancy in itself is NOT addiction. True "addiction" is a behavior, driven by various things, but mainly a behavior.

For example, even if one kicks the cocaine habit physically (no more withdrawals), the old way of behavior (liking or being drawn to the euphoric feelings or the people involved in the drug circles) tends to be what is hard to fight....and sometimes it leads back to the old habit again. But simply getting sick if one skips a klonopin or trys to get off is not addiction...it's physical dependancy.

Klonopin and other benzos have high potential of dependancy and tolerance. How fast these develop is varied by dosage, type of benzo, how often it is taken, personal chemistry, etc. Also, withdrawal type symptoms can linger for months to years depending during the phase after physical withdrawal, called the recovery phase. I read that benzos are exclusive to having the longest recovery period of any drug, illegal or legal! Unfortunately, nobody takes them seriously, usually the cocaine addicts, junkies and alcoholics get all the attention! I guess it's because the effects of benzos vary and sometimes are not even recognized as a culprit because of prior conditions or simply because they are all nice-and-cozy legal drugs...

Look up the free online Ashton Manual. It's pretty long and it goes into alot of explanation about benzos. The woman who wrote it, Professor Heather Ashton in the 1980's, ran a clinic in the UK for benzo patients.

Occassional (not daily) and lower doses may help avoid dependancy in most (not all) cases.

Also, no cold turkey on a benzo as sometimes seizures can result.

no patience 04-16-2004 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Jennita]I'll jump in here...by the way, howard, I hope you are doing better...remember, it does take the brain some time to recover from benzo use...been there, done that too!

No patience, addiction is really a misunderstood term. Addiction is a combo of physical dependancy along with social and behavioral issues. Most addictive drugs have the ability to create euphorias at higher doses. Higher doses of benzos like klonopin usually will simply put one to sleep. Not much in the euphoria dept there.

I commonly tell people benzos are addictive, but sometimes I need to clarify that to some people. Benzos create sometimes huge physical dependancy. Physical dependancy in itself is NOT addiction. True "addiction" is a behavior, driven by various things, but mainly a behavior.

For example, even if one kicks the cocaine habit physically (no more withdrawals), the old way of behavior (liking or being drawn to the euphoric feelings or the people involved in the drug circles) tends to be what is hard to fight....and sometimes it leads back to the old habit again. But simply getting sick if one skips a klonopin or trys to get off is not addiction...it's physical dependancy.

Klonopin and other benzos have high potential of dependancy and tolerance. How fast these develop is varied by dosage, type of benzo, how often it is taken, personal chemistry, etc. Also, withdrawal type symptoms can linger for months to years depending during the phase after physical withdrawal, called the recovery phase. I read that benzos are exclusive to having the longest recovery period of any drug, illegal or legal! Unfortunately, nobody takes them seriously, usually the cocaine addicts, junkies and alcoholics get all the attention! I guess it's because the effects of benzos vary and sometimes are not even recognized as a culprit because of prior conditions or simply because they are all nice-and-cozy legal drugs...

Look up the free online Ashton Manual. It's pretty long and it goes into alot of explanation about benzos. The woman who wrote it, Professor Heather Ashton in the 1980's, ran a clinic in the UK for benzo patients.

Occassional (not daily) and lower doses may help avoid dependancy in most (not all) cases.

Also, no cold turkey on a benzo as sometimes seizures can result.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the info very helpful at least now idont feel like an idiot theyve just helped me tremendously i couldnt even go anywhere before taking these but then again i dont want to go through all this pyshological crap again thanks so much kelleigh

Jennita 04-16-2004 10:03 PM

Your welcome and good luck to you :)