It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Doc who prescribes suboxone??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
    NeedANewJaw

NeedANewJaw HB User
    Doc who prescribes suboxone??

I had posted previously asking about this med. I have a friend who is trying to taper off of morphine because her chronic pain problem has been fixed, for the most part. She has seen an addictionologist but he is trying to taper her too fast. She is having problems with WD's already and he still wants her to drop her dose in a few days.

So she is looking into the suboxone. What kind of doc can prescribe this?

Does anyone know of a doc who does this in the atlanta, GA area??

thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2004, 12:26 AM   #2
    John 808
    Inactive

John 808 HB User
    Re: Doc who prescribes suboxone??

Hi there!

I am also from the south and I found my sub doctor by going to the Suboxone/Subutex website and they give you a map and you click on your state and they will give you a list of doctors who can prescribe the sub! (Just go to google and type in Suboxone or Subutex and you'll come across their "home page" website.)

Morphine, from what I understand, is a heavy narcotic and I am sure if her doctor is tapering her too fast she is having withdrawals. But, let me suggest this, can she suggest switching to a less strong narcotic (hydrocodone) and taper a little more slowly? I say that only to say that the sub is also a opiod (what narcotics are) and you'll eventually have to come off of this and IT IS NOT EASY. Just scan through some posts by Over and myself and there are others. Just food for thought! I may would try the taper a little longer and ask for some medications to ease the withdrawals!

Hope all goes well for your friend. Take care!
    michelle

Old 06-09-2004, 04:46 AM   #3
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Also, if she's NOT addicted - I would NOT use Suboxone. In other words... if she's not abusing her meds, but simply dependent on them, she should talk w/doc about having wds and see what he says.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

That doc is definetly tapering way too fast.a good friend of mine had to taper off morphine as he had surgery coming up in about six months and was worried about the tolerance issue and the fact that it would be hard to treat the post op pain. and his doc advised using the full six month time period to taper.every three weeks he would drop the dosage.if you go too fast you will definitely have some significant WDs.she really needs to discuss this with her doc.There has to be a better way.even switching to a much less strong narcotic would be beter than the way he has this set up.i hope this works out for your friend. Marcia

Old 06-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
    Twist Of Fate!

Twist Of Fate! HB User

any DO who takes the 9 week class can prescribe this drug, the problem with Reckitt Benckiser's (yes, the same people who make household cleaning products) Their map has nothing to do with them and 90% of those doctors dont use the drug anymore or do not take your insurance. Try calling your health provider first.

I'd say if she cant do it cold turkey, stick with the MScontin taper slower or switch to methadone for 21 days, suboxone is made only for drug abusers. Subutex would be what she is looking for is she wants to go that route.

CADE

Old 06-09-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
    Banker
    Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Cade,

Subutex is made specifically for drug abusers as well. It's made for the induction period of switching from your drug of choice to Suboxone and Subutex is the drug used in between, because of the lack of naloxone.

Besides that, is there anyone you know or would recommend cold turkey withdrawing from MORPHINE? I can't imagine. If she's experiencing this much trouble with tapering, imagine what cold turkey would do? Cade, TONS of people here respect your words of advice, as I am one of them,... but please be sure you get your facts straight. Subutex cannot be prescribed by a regular doc... just like Suboxone can't. However, bupenorphine can but let's ensure we make that clear.

Subutex IS for drug addicts, just like Suboxone. I've done a tremendous amount of research for someone switching from opiates to Suboxone because I was terrified of the potential acute withdrawal situation because my doc DID NOT give me Subutex during induction - it was straight Suboxone... which worked because I took it at the exact time I was supposed to. Anyway - gotta run... we'll talk soon!

Closed Thread