It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Nephew addicted to Oxycontin, He desperately needs help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
    scissorhands

scissorhands HB User
    Nephew addicted to Oxycontin, He desperately needs help!

I've never posted on this board before but have read all posts here in search of answers for my Nephews addiction. Since the young age of fifteen (he's 20 yrs now) he has been addicted to Oxycontin, he got started on this drug trying to find a high after his father committed sucide at the age of 32 and left behind five children. My nephew started out just popping the pills, then quickly got into snorting the tablets. My question is, How can my husband and I help him get off this drug, he desperately wants to and came to us for help last night.

He is a terrific young man and this was such a shock to my husband and I, we still are in disbelief but know we have to try and help him. He works everyday but his employer offers him no health insurance and he can't afford any Inpatient or Outpatient treatment centers. Does anyone here know if the state of Tn offers any kind of help for young people who desperately need Drug Rehabilation help. Another question I have is, Is it possible for my husband and I to be able to help him detox from this drug without the help of Professionals. Any responses would be greatly appreciated as we know nothing to do at this point. Thanks

Last edited by scissorhands; 06-16-2004 at 10:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
    mernee

mernee HB User
    Re: Nephew addicted to Oxycontin, He desperately needs help!

I am not familiar with the detox and such in the United States. I live on the west coast of Canada, however I work in a recovery house and I have been in detox twice. Firstly, he needs three things to begin this ,WILLINGNESS, OPENMINDEDNESS and HONESTY, he has shown all three. I think that you can detox him if you know what to expect and he knows what to expect. I am going to leave it here as I know that a few people on here have detoxed from that exact drug and can give you more information. I will check back in the morning and if you still need help I will tell you what I know.I have detoxed from opiates however, I feel that you can do better if you have first hand advice however, as I said earlier if you have no luck I will post in the morning. God Bless him for taking this step. I will pray for him.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
    scissorhands

scissorhands HB User

Thanks so much BCBurnabyBabe for the fast reply, as he has come to us for help, I have to try, he said he quit for five months awhile back and the withdrawls were so bad then but he made it through them, I have hope that he can do it again and this time stay clean.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
    lane7eir
    Veteran
    (female)

lane7eir HB User

my husband loved oxys. home detox was too much and he had to go inpatient. check with your county to see if they have a addictions program. here in sc, we do. i don't know if it's free, but may be based on sliding fee schedule based on patient's income.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #5
    mernee

mernee HB User

I detoxed twice off Heroin, once at home and once in detox. What I used at home was Robaxecet, for the lower back pain and leg crampings, and I used pepto bismol for the intenstinal problems. I actually used to use Robaxecet when I was drug sick too, it really works good. If you do not know what that is , you can find it in your drug store. There is also things like Chamomile tea to settle the stomach. It is not easy but, he has to remember the pain will go away. For me it took about 10 days, then came the hard part dealing with the reason I became addicted, however one step at a time. Tell him as he goes through it that it will pass, he will never die from withdrawals but, he will die from using.Tell him even if he doesn't believe in a Higher Power to pray, and never, never feel shame or guilt for what he is going through. He deserves to be clean, he deserves a life, and he needs to fight hard. Please post as he goes along and I am sure the people here will give you some help. Of course, the ultimate would be for him to go into a facility, or to have a Dr.'s advice on how to home detox if that is possible.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
    StarToo
    (female)

StarToo HB User

I detoxed off of oxy last year. I was taking 40mg a day for about 5 months. I went through a treatment center, but in hindsight should have gone to my own doctor. It was a rough road and something I never want to go through again.

I was prescribed clonodine (a blood pressure med that helps w/d symptoms), ativan (for anxiety), and an antidepressant. The anti/d was too much for my system at the time and I could not take the side effects of it along with everything else. I was sick for a week, shaky and weak for a month, and by 3 months I was feeling pretty good physically. I still had continuing depression.
    Your nephew's w/d symptoms will depend on how much he was taking and for how long he was taking them.

This will be tough, but he can do it. Let a compassionate doctor help him. When it is over he will still have to deal with the pain that caused him to turn to drugs in the first place. Sometimes that is the hardest part. Maybe one day he will be able to help someone else.

I will be glad to talk to you if there is anything I can do. Stay strong
    -Star

Old 06-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #7
    scissorhands

scissorhands HB User

Want to thank everyone who replied to my post, it really was overwhelming and so appreciated. Brandon (my nephew) is coming over Friday night and my husband and I are going to discuss his options and offer him all the support we can give him. I never realized how bad the withdrawls could be, I'm going to let him read all the great advice given here and since he came to us asking for help just makes me love him that much more(if that's possible). Don't know if anyone here saw the Dr Phil show where he did the intervention for the young man named Brandon, it was on (rerun) yesterday and all I could do was cry the entire show. My Brandon is so much like this young man, so handsome, talented and so much going for him. Thanks everyone and I promise to keep you posted as soon as we figure out the best route for him. I really do appreciate all the help and prayers.

Another thing I forgot to mention is Brandon's drug addiction started right after his Dad committed sucide, I was talking with his Dad(my BIL) on the telephone for a couple hours and knew the sucide thoughts he was having, when his Dad ask me to hold on for a minute, the next thing I heard was a loud gunshot. I had to wake my husband and we went straight over there and found him with a gunshot wound to his forehead. I don't blame myself (did at first) but have a special connection to Brandon since he was only fifteen at the time and was so close to his Dad.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:04 AM   #8
    sadsister
    Inactive

sadsister HB User

Hi-
    Call your local hospital-they may be able to give you info/or may have facilities there..there are many free detox services-for those w/o insurance.
    The fact that your nephew came to you-shows he really wants help and trusts you completely-
    Hes so young-this is a deadly drug-the sooner he can get off the better!
    If pssible inpatient detox would be best-also after he detoxs i suggest drug counceling or therapy-to help resolve the drug issues/and the loss of his father.
    God bless-
    Heather

Old 06-18-2004, 07:38 AM   #9
    oxydave

oxydave HB User

i too am addicted to oxycontin...its a real bummer. i am a 46 y/o man in new york. my father too killed himself when i was only ten years old. it was the start of most all my problems. i have been in a med detox before. but, didnt stay because i wsasnt really ready to get off them. what i can say is that the drug clonidine (the blood pressure pill) really works well for the worst parts of the withdrawls! what it does is trick the brain in thinking its getting an opiat. so, i advise that your nephew get into a state funded med. detox where he can get the clonidine. if not, find a good doctor (an addictionoligist) that will give it to him. it will take about 10 days at least for his symptoms to go away. but, he will be totally exausted for a month or so. he also needs to get into an N.A. program for continued support. good luck, and, god bless, dave

Old 06-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #10
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

he can quit cold turkey,which would be quite a job cause he will be in w/d's for a couple of weeks,at which time he would be very vulnerable to go get some cause the w/d's make you feel flu like symptoms to the extreme and takin a couple of pills will make hime feel normal again....relapse has to be be watched carefully...he is now an addict for life...his opiate receptors are open for any type of opiate and they will cure all his w/d illness...he could go to a doc and get clonidine and trazadone for sleep and w/d symptoms...could go on subutex/suboxone which helps stabilize to help long term care,same as methadone,for maintance......chef

Old 06-19-2004, 01:26 AM   #11
    sueinoz

sueinoz HB User

Hi
    How lucky you are that your nephew admits he has a problem and wants to do something about it. My partner is an oxy addict. I am amazed that he is still with us. He chews up to 10 80mg tabs a day. He was prescribed them for chronic pancreasitis about 5yrs ago. Regardless of what he says I don't believe that he takes them for pain any longer, just pure addiction.
    I am very concerned about his mental state of late, he seems to be on a down hill run. He no longer is working, and just sits in front of the TV 24/7. He no longer seems to care about anything. He hardly eats or sleeps, and lets his 9yr old boy run wild with no disipline at all. His memory has gone. The only thing he seems to be able to remember is to take his oxys and to go to his doctor appointments to get more.
    Thank God that your nephew has come to his senses. I wish both yourselves and Brandon all the very best. He has a wonderful life to look forward to without adddiction.
    Sue

Closed Thread