It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Got up the courage to tell Dr. about addiction to Soma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
    msox

msox HB User
    Unhappy Got up the courage to tell Dr. about addiction to Soma

I'm addicted to Soma. I take 10 to 12 350mg tablets a day. I've been taking this medication for the past 8 months. I was prescribed Soma for a back problem and took it as I was supposed to at first. Then more, and more, until I got to where I am now. I get this medication online without a prescription. I want to stop. I just got back from my Dr.'s office. I told the nurse practioner who I trust about my problem and asked for her help. At first she was very sympathetic. I cried of course. She left the room to check 'the book' on how to treat my addiction. I knew she was actually going to ask the Dr. -- I didn't care. I had made a huge step in just making the appointment and finally saying it outloud. She came back in and said that she was going to prescribe me Flexeril at a low dose that I would take 2 times a day. I laughed and told her that 2 a day was not going to help with the withdrawl symptoms. I didn't want to take muscle relaxers anymore. I just wanted something to help me through the withdrawl. It was then that I told her that I was taking 10 - 12 per day. She left the room again. When she came back her whole demeaner changed. She told me that she could not prescribe me anything, not even for the withdrawls. She told me that I would have to just taper off the medication and let them know how I was doing. I was shocked. They wanted me to keep taking this medication that I was getting online? I wanted to just throw it away and now I'm being told to keep buying it until I am weaned off???? I'm so confused. I left feeling like I was thought of as (what I actually am) a drug addict. I left not feeling like I was being helped. I left lost. I cried when I got home. I don't know why I actually thought owning up to this would help. I think it has hurt in the long run. I can never go back to that Dr. again. I'm marked. I am, though more determined to do this on my own. I will show them. I can do this. I just wish I didn't have to have the withdrawl symptoms. If was easy, I guess I would have done it a long time ago. Any help that anyone can give me on this would be so very much appreciated. I'm a mother of 3 children. Two of them in college. I have a wonderful husband. They don't know. Maybe they do and I just hope they don't. This has helped to write this down. More help than I got from the Dr. office this morning. Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
    CaliforniaMom02

CaliforniaMom02 HB User
    Re: Got up the courage to tell Dr. about addiction to Soma

First of all, good for you for telling the doctor and wanting to be clean. I think that is a huge part of the recovery process. I would contact a local drug detox place or rehab center. You can search online or look in the phone book. I hope they would be more helpful than theu were at your doctor's office. I am so sorry that they didn't offer you any help. I am trying to get help for my ex against his will, and it is nearly impossible.

I don't know anything about the withdrawal of Soma. What symptoms do you have if you stop taking them? My ex just received his first bottle of Soma on Monday, and I don't know anything about it except what I have read online.

Please don't get frustrated and give up trying to get help. Call someone who specializes in drug abuse. Please keep us posted!

Old 06-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
    msox

msox HB User

The withdrawl symptoms that I get from Soma are as follows: Shakiness, Anxiety, Insomnia, My heart feels like it is going to jump out of my chest. Thanks for your reply. I'm hesitant about going to a rehab center. I live in a very small town. What if my family found out? At this point they are the ones who I worry about finding out the most. I've only had one pill so far today. The results of this are horrible. But I've got to try.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
    mernee

mernee HB User

First of all, congratulations on reaching out. It is said among addicts in recovery that the first thing you need to get clean is willingness. From what you say it sounds like your Dr. thought you were refusing help, however small you thought it was. It is a hurtful process into addiction, and unfortunately there is no easy way out. I don't believe that anyone that sees the pain, despair and hopelessness of addiction would want anyone to stay there. we as addicts want to get clean but, we want to get clean on our terms, that doesn't work. We have tried living on our term and obviously we can't do it. Professionals are very familiar with the mindset of an addict. My addiction Dr. told me that the minute an addict says...I can't, I won't, No he tells them to come back in 30 days as they are not ready. An addict that is truly ready will do anything(however minimal we see it) to get clean. Your Dr. probably took your response as a unwillingness to try. I would suggest you practice a little humility and phone and say sorry and that you would like to try the help that they are trying to offer. I will guarantee you that you will see a different attitude and they will be more than willing to help you. We all have to start somewhere however small. I know that it may not make sense to you however trust me. I have helped many an addict through there process back into sanity. Would you be willing to try it?

Old 06-17-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
    msox

msox HB User

Yes, I want the help. I'm just scared of the help. I know that sounds silly. Today has been horrible. The little brown bottle with the white pills is here in the house. The person who wants to stop taking them is in the house also. I want the help.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:00 PM   #6
    Guitar Lover
    (male)

Guitar Lover HB User

Soma is not that addictive. It may just be psycologically addictive like pot but not physicallyThe PDR states that no withdrawal occured in test subjects other than very mild symptoms. Just quit it won't be that bad. Taper if you are worried about possible withdrawal. You may have mild stomach cramps but nothing to speak of. I have taken over 20 a day earlier in my life and quit cold turkey. I felt nothing other than the shakiness that they cause the next day. You will be fine. Stop if you want to or taper. You will be fine.

Old 06-18-2004, 04:29 PM   #7
    msox

msox HB User
    Smile Re: Got up the courage to tell Dr. about addiction to Soma

I'm on day 2 of tapering off of Soma. Actually it was much better today. The Nurse Practioner called me today to ask how I was doing. It's not as bad as I had though. Hope that it continues to go this way. It was hard to get to sleep last night. If I can just wait until nightime to take two before bedtime, I think I might just get this done. And when I get to the end of the bottle. I won't need them anymore. *Crossing my fingers*

Old 06-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #8
    Murphy555

Murphy555 HB User

Hello,

I've learned that sometimes, honesty, at first, can slap you in the face in a way that you didn't expect; but in the long run, it's the best thing you could have done, and it's the first step for YOURSELF - not for anyone else, or how they react.

I don't know about the w/d from SOMA, but if i did, and I knew that 2 flexeril would not be helpful in alleviating w/d from SOMA, I might have said the same thing, if that's true. There is no point, these days, for any addict to have to "suffer" from any kind of w/d and when someone says they've got to be willing to to whatever it takes - well it whatever it takes is cold turkey - I think that's inhuman in this day and age.

I suspect that to whoever you were honest with didn't know much about addiction and often, the first thing some Drs. think of when a patient says 10-12/day and they're doing the prescribing is UH-OH, "liability" and they become hesitant to prescribe you anything at all!

Can you found out, in some way -- talk to a treatment center - what they actually do for patients who are w/d from SOMA? Because if you knew that, you might be able to present that to your Dr. and perhaps he will help you in a more appropriate way.

I also think it's inappropriate for a Dr. (or assistant) to suggest you continue ordering online and then taper off of them! As some of you may know, this happened to me when I was running short a week before I was going into the hospital to detox. I mentioned I may run short; what should I do? I was asked, can't I just order more online until that time? I could have!!! But it's exactly what I did not want to do anymore.

anyway, I'm just getting back to doing some reading.

For some who may know me, I'll write soon and let you know how I'm doing, in my recovery and dealing with the recent death of my brother.

Meanwhile, I hope all of you are doing well.

Murphy

Old 06-19-2004, 01:04 PM   #9
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Talking Re: Got up the courage to tell Dr. about addiction to Soma

You were asking about withdrawls . 3 weeks ago I ran out and could not get it filled. I stopped cold turkey. The 2nd day I went through severe mood swings. I could not sleep for days. The morning after the first night not sleeping I had to go to work so I drove to work with the shakes, feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. At work I kept my head down, I tried not talking to anyone. The 2nd night the world looked so black to me. I could not sleep and when I actually fell asleep the sudden jerks my body made woke me up. I went to work the next day and wanted to die. My heart was beating fast then slow. Finally 7 days past, I sleep for a few hours at a time then started to feel more alert and I noticed myself laughing out loud. I have been taking Soma for 2 years for a herniated, degenerative disc. I am now only taking two a day. I know I never want to go through stopping cold turkey like that again. I only know it was a bad experience and it keeps reminding me to never take more than the recommended dosage. If you have any suggestions on where to get help and stay off of them for good without hurting my family or my career, please let me know. Im proud of you for going to the doctor. Most will never put your best interest above theirs for liability reasons. I have the name of a great book for you to read, although Im a new member and have no idea if I can post the name of the book on the board. Probably not. Just know it's by a doctor, and its about life in a rehab. Stay strong and know my prayers are with you.

Last edited by Sarandipity; 06-19-2004 at 01:06 PM.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #10
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sarandipity
    You were asking about withdrawls . 3 weeks ago I ran out and could not get it filled. I stopped cold turkey. The 2nd day I went through severe mood swings. I could not sleep for days. The morning after the first night not sleeping I had to go to work so I drove to work with the shakes, feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. At work I kept my head down, I tried not talking to anyone. The 2nd night the world looked so black to me. I could not sleep and when I actually fell asleep the sudden jerks my body made woke me up. I went to work the next day and wanted to die. My heart was beating fast then slow. Finally 7 days past, I sleep for a few hours at a time then started to feel more alert and I noticed myself laughing out loud. I have been taking Soma for 2 years for a herniated, degenerative disc. I am now only taking two a day. I know I never want to go through stopping cold turkey like that again. I only know it was a bad experience and it keeps reminding me to never take more than the recommended dosage. If you have any suggestions on where to get help and stay off of them for good without hurting my family or my career, please let me know. Im proud of you for going to the doctor. Most will never put your best interest above theirs for liability reasons. I have the name of a great book for you to read, although Im a new member and have no idea if I can post the name of the book on the board. Probably not. Just know it's by a doctor, and its about life in a rehab. Stay strong and know my prayers are with you.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

soma w/d's are a tad bit easier to take than opiate or even cocaine w/d's...its usually only physcological...you shouldnt care really about what your nurse told ya...what did you expect...for them to prescribe you more...they cant stop you from buyin them of the interenet...you have to have the courage to accept the challenge...are you addicted?yea,you take 12 a day,probably more....we lie alot....youve got kids that need you...as addicts we get selfish alot too...hit a/a mtgs or n/a if you can,when you can...they say 90 days,90 mtgs...youll soon get the whole picture...we lose spirrituality in addiction also....try prayin...it works more than you think...read/ask ex-addicts for advice guidance...someday you may find youll be able to help someone who was in your shoes once....god bless....chef

Old 06-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #12
    msox

msox HB User
    Smile Re: Got up the courage to tell Dr. about addiction to Soma

Day 3 of withdrawal. Sleeping at night is not working for me. I have to take 2 somas and two tylenol pm. The bottle would have been way gone by now. I confided in my daughter about what I was doing. She's home from college. She said that she will help me in any way that she can. I really do believe that the cold turkey thing would not work for me. It's much better to prevent them before they happen. The main problem that I find is that I miss them. When I'm bored, or just planning on staying home for the night, I would always take them. I'm trying to find other things to do. Husband still doesn't know. I hope to be able to share this with him when it is over. I was asked by my NP to check in on Monday to have my blood pressure taken and to just let them know how I'm doing. I think that I will contact an outpatient program that is just a town away. To make sure that I'm doing this right. I could tell by my appointment on Thursday that my NP and Dr. had no idea how to handle me other than to cut me off of any more prescriptions. Which is ok and I understand. They don't want to be liable. All in all, it hasn't been that bad. Not that I want to go through it again Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:35 AM   #13
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

youve got too let it go sometime...now is better than ever...youve got three days under your belt....its takes day/day...minute/minute sometimes....you need to surround yourself w/recovery though....try a/a mtgs...im opiate addict and i try replace the word alcholol with pills....12 step programs work...keeep yourself/kids and husband healthy and be proud of your self.....self esteem is important....and you will not die if you dont sleep for a night....starait people have insommnia too....chef

Old 06-21-2004, 04:04 PM   #14
    tessesa

tessesa HB User

I believe you can post the name of the book. Please share

Old 06-22-2004, 09:05 AM   #15
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Question Re: Got up the courage to tell Dr. about addiction to Soma

Terresa and anyone else who is interested: The name of the book which helped me so much while I was going through w/d's was "Cracked". In fear
    of getting banned I will not say who it's by. The book brought me knowledge of WHY I was an addict in the first place. I could not put it down. I am losing the battle right now. I need tips on quiting this and alot of other things. I go to church every Saturday but have no one who holds me accountable because I have not told anyone; I have too much to lose. I have, like so many other people horrible back pain from a degenerative disc. I have stopped taking anything during the day while Im at work. But when 5 oclock hits I run from my problems. Then I feel bad about myself the next day. Any suggestions?

Closed Thread