It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Addiction to Excedrin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
    kevinstory

kevinstory HB User
    Addiction to Excedrin

Hello, I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right section or not, but I'm looking to see if it's possible to become dependant on Excedrin. My wife has had back problems now for about 5 or 6 years. We've gone to just about every type of doctor there is and haven't found anything so far that can help her. But, I'm starting to think she may be addicted to Excedrin. What makes me feel this way is that she's taken just about every type of pain medicine there is, from vicodin to motrin, nothing helps her like Excedrin, which she ends up taking at least 20 a day for the past 4+ years. (I know this is bad, I've heard it a million times before). Can anyone offer any advice or stories of over the counter (Excedrin) addictions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Re: Addiction to Excedrin

Hi there,
    I wish I could offer you more advice/help, but I only know of one girl I met a couple of years back who said she was addicted to Excedrin and I thought she was full of it. I thought that Excedrin was just an NSAID (or at least the aspirin in it is), but it DOES contain caffeine, which IS actually physically addictive. Other than that, I don't think aspirin and acetominophen have addictive properties. I have heard of some people being pretty addicted to caffeine, but I don't believe it would be to the point where your wife is at, having to dose that many times per day. If it were that addictive, they wouldn't sell it to the general public and the general public wouldn't consume as much as they do regularly. Nevermind, I take that back, CIGARETTES are that addictive and they sell those. I don't know, Kevinstory. Maybe some others with have some input on the situation. I wish you and your wife the best of health.
    ~Katalina

Old 06-20-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
    doggreensector
    Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solstice1221
    Hi there,
    I wish I could offer you more advice/help, but I only know of one girl I met a couple of years back who said she was addicted to Excedrin and I thought she was full of it. I thought that Excedrin was just an NSAID (or at least the aspirin in it is), but it DOES contain caffeine, which IS actually physically addictive. Other than that, I don't think aspirin and acetominophen have addictive properties. I have heard of some people being pretty addicted to caffeine, but I don't believe it would be to the point where your wife is at, having to dose that many times per day. If it were that addictive, they wouldn't sell it to the general public and the general public wouldn't consume as much as they do regularly. Nevermind, I take that back, CIGARETTES are that addictive and they sell those. I don't know, Kevinstory. Maybe some others with have some input on the situation. I wish you and your wife the best of health.
    ~Katalina

Dependent maybe more the appropriate term for your wife. If the Excedrin is the only thing relieveing the pain then this could be a real dependency. That is a little different then a physical addiction. This sounds like this maybe more of a mental dependency. But I don't know for sure.

Keith

Last edited by doggreensector; 06-20-2004 at 09:39 PM. Reason: mispelled

Old 06-21-2004, 05:43 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I have some really huge concerns with regard to the amount that your wife is taking just from a medical standpoint.Aspirin is also a good anticoagulant.This is why they recommend taking two aspirin if you think you are having a heart attack as it will help dissolve blood clots.If your wife is taking 20 excedrin per day,and has been doing it for four years?i would have her see her doc and run some blood tests to see where her clotting factors are.At that high of a dose,she could end up with alot of medical issues if she should end up with a good bleed from some type of injury.she would not have enough clotting factors to stop the bleeding and could very easily bleed to death from a relatively small type injury.she also needs to find another form of pain control here.i seriously think that she is probably dependant on the caffiene and not the actual med itself.if she feels tired and run down when she is not taking the excedrin ,there are other ways of getting the caffiene if this is a big issue for her.this is just not a good situation to be in.she really,really needs to get off the high doses of aspirin.keep us posted will you? marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 06-21-2004 at 05:45 AM.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
    melabee
    (female)

melabee HB User

Hey.
    I am kevinstory's wife.
    I have been looking for a treatment for my back for quite some time now. I just recently had surgery and it didn't help. It just seems to get worse. In getting treatment, I have been prescribed almost every narcotic and it either works for 2 days or makes me sick to my stomach. I eventually always turn to the one that works since that is the only way I can have any type of mobility. I have never been tested for clotting factors, the only thing doctors have ever seemed concerned with was my stomach lining, and thank God, it has been okay. I will ask about the clotting factors though. Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

My father spent the majority of his life taking Excedrin (he still sneaks them sometimes ) I'm not sure how many a day, but I know at least 10. He swears they are the only thing that will help his pain. Unfortunately, he has had to be hospitalized twice for bleeding ulcers. Once, he was at a school basketball game (he is a 49 year old teacher) and passed out at the waterfountain. He was bleeding from his mouth and rectum. Now, this isn't to say he wasn't having symptoms for a little while prior to this incident, but he really had no idea it was from the Excedrin. He had problems with keeping salad down and had extra indigestion. Anyhow, he did recover and for a couple of years did real good. I dont' know when he started taking them again -- dad's ya know stubborn -- but he went to the dr. for a checkup about a year ago and was admitted to the hospital for a blood transfusion. He honestly didn't know this time because it didn't present the same as before. I guess this is true with any drug, but gosh, Excedrin has so much in it -- asprin, acetominophine and caffeine. His doctor have him hydrocodone, but he doesn't like it and wants the Excedrin again. I don't have any advise, but I'm really interested in seeing if anyone here has found something that helped them not need excedrin as it might help my dad as well. I guess as long as you continue to get GI's done things should be ok. But, I did want to let you know that there are definate draw-backs from taking it long term. Good luck to you!

Old 06-22-2004, 04:59 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Melabee,have you ever tried any type of NSAID therepy?or tried any of the other meds out there that have an aspirin base?there are many choices availiable to you that use aspirin as a base just like tylenol.Some contain a narcotic and some don't.if you take a med that also contains some sort of narcotic along with the aspirin,it might be much more effective and you wouldn't have to take quite as much.there are also meds that have a similar aspirin effect.The amount of the aspirin that you are taking is just way too much.Does your doc know about this really high amount of aspirin that you are taking?i think you really need to look hard at what the above poster wrote.this could very very easily happen to you.i really am suprised at just how long you have been doing this and not have had any GI problems or bleeding issues.i think your blood must look as thin as kool aid by now.do you have any bruising problems?i really feel strongly that this will really come back to bite you.I hope you have a talk with your doc soon.You are playing with fire.i hope you find something different that works for you.Marcia

Old 06-22-2004, 07:45 PM   #8
    melabee
    (female)

melabee HB User

Zekat,
    I am so sorry to hear about your dad, but I am also glad you shared your story. I have never heard of anyone else that was unable to get relief like me. The bleeding with you dad really scares me, I will be sure to push this in my doctor appointment. At times, going to the doctor makes me feel almost like a hypocondriac. I feel something inside of me isn't right or that everything needs to be in check with all this that I am taking. But since I am so young, I think doctors take me less seriously and maybe aren't as thorough.

Feelbad,
    I have taken things like Vioxx, Celebrex, Naprosyn, Ibuprofen, they just don't work. I make everyone I see fully aware of the amount I am taking because I want it fixed and I want them to understand that one more day of stalling is 15-20 more excedrin. I just recently moved to another state than I had my surgery in, so I have my first PCM appointment on July 2nd. I will keep you updated. Thanks for all your replies!

Old 06-23-2004, 05:11 AM   #9
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am so glad that you are going to see a pain doc.hopefully you will find something that works as well as the excedrin so you can kick that crap out of your life forever.it just is not a good thing for you to be doing to yourself.Good luck, and please keep us posted.I am very hopeful for you that you will find something better.Marcia

Closed Thread