It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Info on Crack cocaine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2004, 06:30 AM   #1
    Shady's Lady

Shady's Lady HB User
    Info on Crack cocaine

I have been using Crack/cocaine for about four years now. My boyfriend recently told me that if I do not stop he will leave me. I want to stop but I find that I cannot. I am Bi-polar so, I have a hard time with impulsive behaviours. Is there any physical withdrawals from this drug? How do I get off any suggestions please, I am desperate............

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2004, 06:37 AM   #2
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User
    Re: Info on Crack cocaine

Hi Shady-
    Crack is so highly addictive-that some pals of mine-who were addicted-moved 1000 miles away-to clean up-they did..and have been clean for several years now.
    The good news is many in patient detoxs will "detox" you in house-nowadays.
    Meaning-they'll give you a bed/go to meetings and some benzos-to ease anxiety-there is no real physical symptoms-most are psychological-so its the cravings that really get in the way.
    Id look into this-give yourself a jumpstart/some info etc..
    Its so addictive-right up there w/ heroin-but minus the intense physical w/d.
    You'll have to stay clear of all your using buddies-and seriously-id have back-up-aftercare plan-counseling/therapy/meetings to keep it going..
    Hope this helps a bit.
    GGrl65

Old 07-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
    cetiya
    (female)

cetiya HB User

I was addicted to crack in the early 90s. there are no physical withdrawals, but you will have cravings for a long long time. what you need to remember about them are that they are temporary. a craving only lasts about 10 minutes. if you can resist, it will fade. honestly it took me a couple years to quit completely but I was determined and it got longer and longer inbetween my binges. it might be quicker and easier if you get professional help. I did it alone. It's been at least maybe 6 years since I have had a binge. sometimes I still dream about it, but I have no contacts anymore so I couldnt get any if I wanted to, and I'm not going to risk my life by driving past bad places in town where I could maybe find some.

Old 07-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
    mernee

mernee HB User

The last two post said it all. I was addicted to the same drug for many, many years. There are no physical withdrawals so, wanting to quit is the first step to ultimate freedom. I cannot say anymore then goddess and cetiya said. Try and reach out to any help that you can, it is a very powerful addiction but it can be beat. God Bless

Old 07-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Don't kid yourself by moving away,or anything like that,if you want it bad enough,you'll find it,no matter were you are,it is good,to change your peaple,places,and things,but,don't think moving away is the answer.addmitting you have a problem is half the battle,and you have done that.Just a suggestion,but i hope your not going to stop for your boyfriend,kids ,etc.. You have to do it for yourself! You have to put yourself before everyone now! Your number 1 Being addicted to crack doesn't make you a bad person,and don't look down on yourself! Your a good person with a problem that can be fixed if you do the work.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:34 AM   #6
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I know two people who used crack a lot at least 1000 dollars a week habit. The one person said that there are no withdrawl symptoms. But the urge to use it is triggered by any type of cue, such as cash or hanging out with crack buddies. I asked the other person about his crack use and how it has got him into jail for petty theft and shoplifting. He said "I dont use crack". So half the battle is admitting you are hooked. Cocaine is very addictive much more than alcohol in my opinion. In the 1980s the media quoted psychologists who said cocaine was not addictive. Many addicts think they can physically move away and escape their addiction, which is stinkin thinking. Drugs are available everywhere.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #7
    Shady's Lady

Shady's Lady HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I do not want to quit for my boyfriend, I have wanted to quit for awhile but sometimes it takes someone walking away to get your head in the right place. I have read a number of posts that suggest NA/AA. I am going to try that and see if they can help me.....I thank everyone again for taking the time to try and give me some help. I think after reading alot of posts I have a good idea of what I need to do. If you do not hear from me on this board take it as" no news is good news......."

Closed Thread