It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• NEWSFLASH: Suboxone has just saved another live and another career

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
    maynard

maynard HB User
    Smile NEWSFLASH: Suboxone has just saved another live and another career

med student
    failed two one week outpatient programs w/suboxone (3 days 4 mg, 4 days 2 mg) - made it the week but when it was over, on the 8th day, utter relapse this was back at around 80 mg/day oxy

at the last crossroads was up to 240 mg oxycodone a day...spent about four grand in a month...somehow held a job, kept up grades....must be the luckiest SOB alive not to have utterly destroyed everything.

but then one day at a music festival, found some people talking about suboxone. they happened to be from the same city, and gave the name of an exceptional doctor. having failed the impersonal, expensive, in-and-out incomprehensive 7 day thing twice, went to this doctor and got a full assessment and got put on maintnence. best friend also went to the same doctor the same day. doing the next 44 days with 16 mgs/day prescribed, but have been trying to take just 12. after that, gonna start the official taper. looking to get as far away from oxy as possible. it's a dream come true to be free

it has been over 3 weeks now since the last oxy. its like having a new life. it's being normal again. having back all that time...having some cash left when you get your next paycheck... amazing stuff. suboxone really is a wonder drug and what cannot be stressed enough is the amazing change it will bring to your life. the spiral of addiction - craving, compulsion, drug-seeking behaviors, withdrawal - opiates become more important than food, sex, friends, anything. Freedom from those bonds - the sudden return to a life without the desperate, ravenous, weak powerlessness - is invaluable. It is an absolute miracle.

Your life is at stake and finally you have a tool, a chance, a way to take control and be the normal you. When the steel serpent of addiction is no longer strangling your mind and screaming softly in your ear you suddenly realize how much of your life you already have sacrificed for nothing.

DO NOT HESITATE! SAVE YOUR OWN LIFE! CHOOSE TO LIVE! CHOOSE TO LIVE! CHOOSE TO LIVE!

The following user gives a hug of support to maynard:
    Biggzzz (03-11-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
    Re: NEWSFLASH: Suboxone has just saved another live and another career

That's just wonderful!! :-)

Your tremendous happiness (and relief) comes through in every word you've written. (And--perhaps not so coincidentally (!!) :-)--I had been thinking a lot about the possibilities of Suboxone, myself!! Sooooo....your thoughts have come at the perfect moment for me, as I weigh...and balance... and tip the old scales, making decisions with the help of people like yourself as living testimony!

Enjoy your new life! I am so happy for you. And I wish you the very best for all good things, as the colors in your world get sharper and brighter! Keep us posted. Lynn :-)

Old 07-28-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
    sammi

sammi HB User

Hi, I too have been on Suboxone since March and I totally agree with you, it has saved my life. I am a stay at home mom with three children and I had gotten to the point where Norco's had taken over my life. I do have chronic back pain so the Sub also helps with the pain.

I know at some point I will have to stop taking Sub, but for the moment at least I am living a "normal" life again pain free. Congratualtions and don't EVER look back.

Hey Lynn, all I can say is you will be so shocked when you do decide to stop taking narcotics and if you decide on Sub, how "normal" you will feel again. It also helps to have a really good Dr who will monitor you and listen to what you have to say and how you're feeling. I would reccommend Sub to anyone who can't get clean on their own.

Take care...
    Sammi

Old 07-28-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
    mernee

mernee HB User

I am glad to hear that you have found a way out of your addiction. I am not big on using one drug to quit another drug however, if going on the suboxone helps you get your life together that is what it is all about. I congratulate you. I have a sponsee that is on Methadone and although I am not a fan of it, she is able to get to her counsellor, meetings and such which she was not able to when she was using her drug of choice so, maybe I should rethink my postion on such things.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
    maynard

maynard HB User

best of luck Lynn
    don't look back!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
    KIMBEE
    (female)

KIMBEE HB User

Maynard, Have you considered taking Suboxone for maintenance? I think you might need to stay on it a bit longer, so you can get used to being free from abusing your DOC. It has also saved my life, its almost been a year now and I dont know if I am ready yet to try and taper, my life is so much better now. It feels so good to have your dignity back doesnt it? Just dont be in a hurry to taper, take it slow and easy. Enjoy life and the freedom from abusing drugs. You sound great, I am so happy for you! How many relapses have you had, if any? That was my problem, I just couldnt stay straight, I would always relapse, thats why this drug works so wonderful. I gives me back my life and self respect. Stay strong!! And again, CONGRATS!!!

Old 07-29-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
    maynard

maynard HB User

thanks for your reply kim

I am on a maintnence now. He told me my minimum time would be 3 months, and that it could be longer depending on me. What you said about getting as far away from it as possible is exactly what I have also been thinking. I'm in no hurry to get off of suboxone , I'm getting used to just living normally and not thinking about getting high 24/7 !!

Honestly, a year on suboxone doesnt even sound that daunting - Considering the first dip into oxys was 3 years ago, and full time addiction started a year ago.... In my opinion, and Im absolutely certain there are MANY who disagree, this time on suboxone counts as clean time for me. Every day away from oxys/oxy dealers/sketchy situations and all that baggage is another BRIGHT and CLEAN DAY! yay!

Nearing a month now - and it's been one of the best months I can remember.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:36 PM   #8
    mernee

mernee HB User

Clean time is between you and your God/Concious......

Old 07-30-2004, 05:14 AM   #9
    KIMBEE
    (female)

KIMBEE HB User
    Thumbs up Re: NEWSFLASH: Suboxone has just saved another live and another career

Yes indeed, I too consider this as clean! We are not abusing drugs we are maintaining!! I know that can be a heated subject but that is just how I feel. I havent abused any drug whatsoever since I have been on the sub. So in my opinion I am clean. I am treating a disease with medication just as I would if I had any other disease. Addiction is a disease and if there is medicine out there that can help then why not use it. I am glad you are in no hurry to come off of it yet, give yourself plenty of time, enjoy the time you have missed while using. Coming up on a month? Thats wonderful and it only gets better!

Old 07-30-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
    wanna-b-free

wanna-b-free HB User

Question... what are the reasons to tell your doc you'd like to try using Suboxone? Is this medication also habit forming? How does it make you feel?

Would this medicine be an option for someone addicted to soma's? (See my previous post regarding my friend's mother).

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #11
    maynard

maynard HB User

I'm glad you agree Kimbee, I just read a very interesting article published by the national institutes of health concerning the treatment of opiate dependence, and it stressed over and over again that opiate dependence is indeed a medical illness. I do not find any reason whatsoever to disagree with that assessment.

I have a friend who is going to the same doc, and is prescribed the exact same dosage (16 mgs/day), but intends to taper himself off on just this first prescription because he's afraid of insurance dropping him or his parents finding out. I've spent a lot of time trying to convince him that this is a horrible idea and that he really should stick with the treatment - he's my best friend and a big part of my strength in doing this. If he doesnt stick to it he's going to relapse, i know it, and then how can I stay his friend and stay clean at the same time? It worries me a lot, especially after I just read this publication that stresses very strongly how important *extended* treatment is, if you expect to be successful. I think he thinks it's going to be easy. Or, god forbid, that he'll be able to go back to the "occasional" "on the weekend" "just every now and then" style of using - YEAH RIGHT! i just dont know what to tell him, except that our lives are at stake here.

i dont know what the policy is on this board but if i'm allowed to i'd love to give you my AIM name or pick a chat room or something Kim, i have a feeling you can give me some good advice about what to do with my friend =\

Old 07-30-2004, 11:07 AM   #12
    maynard

maynard HB User

>> is this what your doctor has suggested to you? what measures have you put in place for behavior modification and spiritual empowerment?

Actually, my doctor spoke to me very little about this; however, this may be because of some of what I said to him.

My enthusiasm comes from waking up in the morning thinking about food instead of pills - from being able to go out for the night or the weekend or on the town with friends and to be completely THERE, with them - rather than craving and secretly wishing I could drive away to feed the monster in my mind.

My enthusiasm comes from going to work and solving problems and staying all day and feeling rewarded from my accomplishments - rather than leaving early to meet up with someone, feeling miserable and sleeping at work, getting nothing done, and hating myself.

My enthusiasm comes from being able to treat my friends to dinner, or a movie, or to treat myself to a new video game or gadget - rather than scrounging for every last dime just to feed the habit and to feel normal! I had forgotten what it was like to feel normal - to feel GOOD - on my own. It's absolutely beautiful.

It's amazing how even an experience such as this one can end up bringing positivity into your life. How you can realize even more that every detail of every thing is a gift - like waking up in the morning feeling rested and comfortable, like having a normal appetite and not being constipated day after day after day after day, like being able to clear your mind and spend time with friends and family, like being able to actually get things done; like being alive . They are gifts , and I may not have realized until they were taken away that I am by no means guaranteed these things. I need to find my own peace and big surprise it's not kept in any kind of bottle.

I wish all of us the strength and the wisdom to heal ourselves.

Old 07-31-2004, 05:28 AM   #13
    KIMBEE
    (female)

KIMBEE HB User

Maynard, Yes I agree I think we have a lot of the same issues at the time. My friend also is on Suboxone and I think she is dabbling in other pills as well, I think she is only taking her sub every now and then (of course she wont tell me, but I have a pretty good idea) Her speech has been slurred many times and she doesnt remember talking to me. I too will try and help her all I can, but if she continues, our friendship will have to end, so yes we are kinda in the same situation here. I am not sure about the policys here but would love to chat with you also. Another idea, I think I have seen you on another addiction board where they allow contacting one another. My screen name is Kswiss there, check it out I am pretty sure you are the same person on that board, I hope I dont get in trouble for doing this. .Let me know whay ya think? I know how it is when a friend needs help and its right there for them to take advantage of , its a miracle drug for opiate addicts! But they have to want to change, and its never easy, but its doable!

Old 07-31-2004, 07:15 AM   #14
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Hi Maynard-
    Good for you!
    Im also on suboxone-but now im only on 3/4 mgs-i started at 16 mgs a year ago and am now tapering off-w/ be done w/ treatment in a few months..
    Yes-this saved my life-i will tell anyone who is wanting out of opiate addiction-Go for it-it works..
    The depression associated w/ kicking opiates is Gone-zero cravings..particualy-after a few months stabilised..This is a God-send..for people like myself-who couldn't pull it together-i was addicted for close to a decade.
    Thank you-for sharing your message of hope-there is a way out-and although it is a "replacement therapy"..it gives an addict a chance to live w/out the chaos of using/copping etc..a chance to pull together-finances/career/home-life..and when its time to get off the suboxone-you've been able to "live"-w/out the drugs for enough time to see how devastating active addiction is-and be in a better place mentally to kick for real.
    Good luck w/ everything...
    GGrl65

Old 07-31-2004, 02:25 PM   #15
    glamich

glamich HB User

that is great news. also, i noticed your screenname was maynard and was wondering if you enjoy the music of A Perfect Circle, which is headed my Maynard James Keenan . The new album, thirteenth step, really hits home for us addicts and some of the songs are very inspirational, especially Weak and Powerless. best of luck to you and your recovery.

Closed Thread