It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• How to tell valium tolerance vs. toxicity

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
    glamdais
    (female)

glamdais HB User
    How to tell valium tolerance vs. toxicity

I had a horrible experience with Effexor. I took one dose and it was like I had taken 500 hits of speed. I didn't sleep for two weeks, lost 10 pounds and felt like I was totally going out of my mind. My doctor put me on 10 mg of valium daily.

It's been 7 months and I'm still agitated and anxious most of the time. The valium has helped me sleep, but during the day it just barely keeps things at bay. (I take 5/mg in the morning and 5 mg at night) This has been the case since I started taking it and I've refused to take more than the 10/mg out of fear of tolerance/addiction.

Lately it seems like nothing is working. Even though the valium never made me sluggish or sleepy it seems like I'm even more agitated during the day. I'm really confused now. Have I reached a point where the 10/mg doesn't cut it or could I be at a level that is toxic to my system? I've read about paradoxical effects with valium (causing agitation, anxiousness) and have wondered at this point if the valium isn't a problem as well as the Effexor reaction. I've tried to cut down on the valium a couple of times, but within 3 days I feel even more agitated than I did. Any advice? Any thoughts on trying to cut down? I know it should be as slow as possible, but it's hard to go much slower than a deduction of 1.25 when you have 5 mg. pills. I am so tired of being miserable all the time. Thanks to all who reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 04:38 AM   #2
    formygirls3

formygirls3 HB User
    Re: How to tell valium tolerance vs. toxicity

Sounds to me as if you need to go up in your valium dose. I highly doubt 10mgs of valium would be causing toxic harm to your body. It sounds like you are full of anxiety and need it. No need to fear addiction unless you have had addictive behavior before. Tolerance is a normal and expected event that often happends with the Benzo and Opiate family. If you think of how miserable you would be without the valium then there really is no other choice is there? Good Luckl
    Teresa

Old 08-08-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

The valium will become a monster if you let it. It is better to be off of the AD and the valium. With valium you'll have to keep increasing your dose for relief then you'll get yourself into a problem situation. I suggest getting off of all the chemicals and letting your body/brain get back to normal. Therapy and alternative relaxation techniques are much safer/better.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
    glamdais
    (female)

glamdais HB User

That's what I think too---that I need to get off everything. But, good God, if I feel this bad hitting tolerence at 10mg what is it going to be like when I start cutting it down? I know I sound like a big weenie, but this has been the most horrendous 7 months of my life. I've always been a calm and relaxed person and this agitation and anxiety makes me feel like I'm losing my mind and am going to do something horrible. I guess if I'm going to feel lousy it may as well be from cutting this stuff down though although I feel pretty damn lousy at the 10 that I'm on.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
    jcqb13
    (male)

jcqb13 HB User

When I was withdrawing from vicodin, methadone, and neurontin, I had terrible panic attacks. they even put me in the hospital twice.

On a recommendation from my pain doc, I tried biofeedback. I thought is was a bunch of hooey, but it did help me out immensely. It also taught me how to settle myself down if I felt any anxiety begin to creep in.

If you are not familiar with biofeedback, all of your vitals and brain activity are monitored as you are taken through guided relaxation. You begin to recognize internal cues and how they relate to heart rate, breathing rate, etc. After a while you can begin to short circut these bad cues and keep your internal phsyiology quiet, leading to a quiet mind.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:21 AM   #6
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glamdais
    That's what I think too---that I need to get off everything. But, good God, if I feel this bad hitting tolerence at 10mg what is it going to be like when I start cutting it down? I know I sound like a big weenie, but this has been the most horrendous 7 months of my life. I've always been a calm and relaxed person and this agitation and anxiety makes me feel like I'm losing my mind and am going to do something horrible. I guess if I'm going to feel lousy it may as well be from cutting this stuff down though although I feel pretty damn lousy at the 10 that I'm on.
    Don`t worry about sounding like a "big weenie." Valium and other benzos are a horrible withdrawal. I have been fighting this thing for 10 months, was on big doses of Xanax, now on Valium, down to 6.25 mgs. Surely sounds like you are addicted, unfortunately, only after 7 months. It happens. You could find a doc to increase your dose, but what do you do when you get up to 60 mgs and that does not work? Stevie Knicks got up to 72 mgs of Klonopin (another benzo) and that did not work. She came off fast, shook in the bed for 6 months. Valium is dope, and that is the nature of dope, you need more and more and more to feel normal.

If you want to get off the Valium, cuts of 1.25 mgs every 10 days would not be insane and you`d be off in about 2 1/2 months. With your relative short term use you may come out fine. I am making cuts at about that rate right now. It`s not fun but I do not have to work for a while. Another option would be to make cuts of .625, by cutting your 5 mg tabs in quarters (pill cutter), taking the 1/4th piece, crushing it (tablespoon on a plate), dividing the powder in halves (razor blade), then licking up one of the piles, save the other. Or, ask your doc for 2 mg tablets and you can cut .5 mgs a week. You could even up your dose 2.5 to 5 mgs and see if you feel more stable before beginning the taper. Expect some discomfort. There is a price for this, even though it is not fair as ignorant docs prescribe these highly addictive drugs that end up making one`s anxiety far worse, not to mention an array of other withdrawal symptoms. Look up the Ashton Manual on the net if you want to read some good research on this. Post here if I can help more.

Closed Thread