It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• i think i'm addicted to percocet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
    smashittopieces

smashittopieces HB User
    i think i'm addicted to percocet

hey everyone...i have chronic pain problems and for the last 6 months or so i have been prescribed percocet..it's honestly the one medicine that has ever helped me with my pain, and the pain i get is so bad that..ugh..i can't even describe it..i'd rather be dead than have to suffer with it...so percocet has been such a relief to have

i started taking probably about 1 every 3-4 days which wasn't a big deal...eventually i was taking 1 every day, then that turned into 2...then when one pill wasn't working and i'd have to take more than one at a time, i was taking like 8-9 pills a day..8-9 isn't as much as other people i've heard of who take around 10-15 at time, numerous times a day, but it's still bad i think..recently i couldn't get a prescription and i had to go down to about 1-2 a day...

i honestly never felt so horrible in my life...i had a fever, my nose was running, my stomach was messed up, just everything..i was just freaking out...the chills were horrible..my arms and legs felt so horrible, i looked it up online and i think it's called "kicking"..i was just freaking out and hitting walls and throwing things..not cause i was angry or anything, it was like a relief to my muscles..i can't explain it but i guess you guys know what i mean.

i realized i have a problem when my instinct was to call a bunch of people and ask them if they knew anyone who could hook me up with percocet or codeine or anything...it was embarrassing, i couldn't believe i was stooping that low, but i didn't know what else to do...i couldn't just go cold turkey even if i wanted to stop..i'd have to ween off of them atleast.

i got a prescription today so i'm feeling better but i'm just scared i guess cause i'm afraid i'll take more and more..i'm afraid to tell anyone because i'm afraid they'll take them away and i'll have to be in pain again...it's like i don't want to take them anymore, but i also don't want to stop...i'm really afraid to

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
    dsny

dsny HB User
    Re: i think i'm addicted to percocet

I started out with legit pain issue's and it spiraled into a 35 pill a day habit.Be careful because it can creep up on you and before you realize it you are hooked.

Old 08-10-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User

Hang in there. And I'm like you, once I get a hold of some pain pills (be it tramadol, hydrocodone, oxycodone, whatever) I get so excited and I feel so good to just be having them.

I love the feeling of getting to go pick up my prescription of tramadol.

I'm not fully addicted either, but I'm on my way. However, I have been three days clean now.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:47 PM   #4
    formygirls3

formygirls3 HB User

Hey smash
    Welcome to the board

My advise to you is .... run ... run fast as you can away from that bottle. With that said, If you are truly in alot of pain you should tell your dr. , let him know that the medicine is not working like it use to. Tolerance is normal and your dr does expect it to happen. The thing here is you will allways be increasing the dose, because your body will adjust to the new level of meds and it will demad more and more. I hope you can find a anwser to your pain and hopefull find a way to fix it. Adjusting your own meds without your Drs ok, will get you in trouble, at least thats how it was for me. Talk to your Dr. Be honest with him.. If your not using your meds for a "Buzz" then theres nothing to hang your head about. Theres a bunch of good folks on the Pain Management board that could give you some good advise on how to talk to your dr.
    Take Care
    Teresa

Old 08-11-2004, 03:41 AM   #5
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Hi smash...it sounds to me like you are heading toward full-blown pill-hell soon...be careful. The sooner in your addiction that you stop, the better. I didn't take too many more than you a day, and i am close to two months clean. Don't fall into that false sense of security that the pills give. I would start tapering down. You will feel some minor w/d symptoms, i have quit both ways, c/t and tapering. I would usually taper til i got down to about 1 or 2 a day and then c/t....It really won't be THAT bad. I had to take care of my 3 kids and the whole household during every w/d i had....
    Don't be scared, your addiction will feed off of it. You gotta take control, before pills are controlling YOUR every move!!! Please don't hesitate to give me a yell, i will give you as much advice as i can. Stay strong!!!
    luv,
    LISA

Old 08-11-2004, 04:23 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

What exactly is the cause of your pain?There are many options besides narcotics to treat chronic pain.Depending on what is causing it.Knowing what the cause is would better help me to give you better advice here as what your next step would be.if you could please explain,it would be a big help.Marcia

Old 08-15-2004, 09:38 AM   #7
    jcqb13
    (male)

jcqb13 HB User

It is good to remember that sometimes the fear of pain is actually worse than the actual pain. Thats what caused me to run to the pill cabinet myself. Once I realized I felt just as bad but in a different way I decided to face the physical pain vs the pain of addiction.

Having some medication available that you trust will work will give you a safety net in case you are having a bad day, but I be it will shock you how good the feeling is to be off all off those strong meds.

Please understand though I sympathize with your fear of hurting again, Take it a step at a time, don't get down on yourself whatever you do. Don;t be impatient, you will not live like this forever, you will get progressively better.

Good luck,
    Jason

Old 08-17-2004, 10:56 PM   #8
    tussionexisgood

tussionexisgood HB User

DOnt think you are addicted, you are addicted..........tell your family you cant kick it without support.......i was taking up to 8 percocet 5;s a day ............then went onto methadone ..............then said this is ******** its ruining my life and i went and saw a psyciatrist and i am currently taking 12mgs suboxone daily. its a wonder believe me.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:50 AM   #9
    dodgelady7

dodgelady7 HB User

You need to be under the care of a physician specialized in chronic pain control. This is why we have addiction problems and prescibing problems in this country. Particularly in patients with chronic pain. I know I'm one of them also. You should not be increasing without talking to your physician. Apparently this medication no longer works correctly for your pain control. Sounds like you need a patch or injections. A person in true chronic pain will always be in pain but it will be on a managed tolerable level. If your physician can't help you seek out one that will this may take a great deal of time and effort it took me two years to find the right one and I'm begining to have some episodes of a former life. Don't let the pain head you in the wrong direction. You can do it!

Closed Thread