It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Hydrocodone Addiction - Need some help...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #31
    marich101

marich101 HB User
    Re: Hydrocodone Addiction - Need some help...

Tearing up that script was the best thing you could possibly have done. If you didn't have any significant "codone" use prior to this surgery I wouldn't think you would have that big a problem with W/D your major problem will be to not start taking them for the wrong reason. I've read where substance abuse is inherited so look at the odds against you. Fight with all your might any feelings to continue taking them..........it's a downhill road and the climb back sucks MAJOR.
    If you are having that much trouble with W/D's tough it out take my word for it you'll be glad you did.
    Keep posting, there are some really great people here who can give you info and support and right now those are the best things in the world.
    Good Luck
    Marilyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 02:46 AM   #32
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Hey jim....i know that no sleep is the worst for me. I have kids running amuck here and trying to deal with them on no sleep = bad news!!!!
    I never took anything for sleep. I just waited it out. At that point i was sick of pills, ANY pills, and just wanted my sleep to be restored natuarally. I used to do stuff in the middle of the night too. Crafts, reading magazines, addiction books, laundry, i was a nut-case LOL
    You have taken a large amount of opiates in the past few weeks here. I think the runs were definitely oxycodone and or oxycontin w/d. That is one of my first signals that w/d has started....
    So keep hanging in there, and NO DUMPSTER searching today LOL LOL
    I SO could see myself throwing them out in the dumpster, then later jumping in the retrieve them LOL LOL LOL you guys gave me a good chuckle over that one!
    I hope your pain level has decreased. Be strong and let me know how your day goes. Take a nap, eat well, take vitamins and give it some more time.
    Hang in there!
    luv,
    LISA

Old 12-29-2004, 09:04 AM   #33
    jimpmcsh78
    (male)

jimpmcsh78 HB User

Hey lisa!

Well actually besides a few chills hear and there and the sleep thing i think i might have this thing beat. I think i hid the worst of the withdrawls with the remaining hydro.

If i wanted to i probably could get some more .. but i think my willpower is defiantly stronger than in my past. Actually after wrting my previous message last night .. i tried laying down around 4:00 and i finally got about 4 hours of sleep .. i was an hour and a half late for work but it was well worth it to get some much needed sleep .. so i got about 6-8 hours of sleep yesterday and i feel a lot better! no headache, or cramping really, i still feel like it might be a little difficult to sleep tongiht .. so if i need to ill try to use a sleeping pill.

also i have decided not to get anymore pills, i have three of the sleeping pills left and ill use them up if needed. I really dont want to get hooked on anything else .. i too and looking for normal sleeping and living.

Did anyone feel good on the second day you went CT? did i hide most WD symptoms with the week on the remaining hydro. Could i still have more horrible pain to come .. from what i know about DT with CT is that sympotoms usually are strong and increase to a point and start tapering off? Im just suprised how much better i feel from yesterday to today ...

Im looking forward to NY's ill prbably go out and have some drinks and socialize (been about month) im thinking i should be back to normal with everything by beginning of next week!

Lisa, how much did you take of what and how long were you on it? how long has it been since you stopped? How long has/did the insomnia last?

Thanks for the help everyone. Im hoping that this thing is almost over with!

-jim

Last edited by jimpmcsh78; 12-29-2004 at 09:07 AM.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #34
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Insomnia is the last thing to go. Sooner for some, later for others. Just know that insomnia can't kill you. You'll eventually get some sleep. Don't look to benzos to help with sleep....you'll be digging another hole. So far, so good. Good job.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:54 PM   #35
    DaveB01
    (male)

DaveB01 HB User

Listen Jim, getting back to sleep is one of the last parts of physical withdrawls, but my friend if you are using any amounts of opiates to help it is not over. The majority of physical torment is! But your body will still not feel the same with no opiates because your body will still be releasing the drug slowly over time, trust me even booze won't help although I always gave it a try, but truthfully hangovers make a horrible temtation to buy some pills. Your body and mind have to get over the opiates, I hate to recomend other drugs but may people have found relief with ambiem, SMALL amounts of ultram... other non-narcotic drugs can help, and many are addictive themselves. Personally I took 10 ultram trying to get over oxy and dropped and had a siezure at work!! Too much tylenol at once WILL kill you or put you right into a coma, good luck my friend,
    Dave.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:13 AM   #36
    jimpmcsh78
    (male)

jimpmcsh78 HB User

Hi, well been feeling pretty good the past few days .. day symptoms are not totally gone but dont notice as much. I did go out and had like 5 beers the other night ... i slept all night and had no hangover. so i felt good the next day. Last night i did take another sleeping pill and also slept all night... I have two more of those pills so i think ill use them if needed .. i would imagine i should be totally normal in about a week.

Dave, what exactly is ultram and what is normal rec dose. Thanks

-jim

Old 12-31-2004, 04:18 PM   #37
    DaveB01
    (male)

DaveB01 HB User

Ultram is the brand name for tramadol, it is a non-narcotic analgesic but which has similar effects to opiates... although somewhat weaker. But listen READ the instructions and do not take more than 8 50mg pill in 24 hours, because you will have a siezure. Although I was incorrect when I said tramadol had tylenol, it is the tramadol itself that will give you a siezure. Taken safely it has almost no side effects except very minor constipation, although it is psychologically addictive especially for people like us. The normal dosage is 2 pills every 4-6 hours, but slightly higher amounts have been prescribed depending on the person.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:21 AM   #38
    hellokitty73
    (female)

hellokitty73 HB User

Hi Jeff
    Find a doctor who can prescribe subutex.....It helped me quit and stay off lortabs with out the awful withdrawls. It works.....I promise!

Old 07-14-2005, 01:16 PM   #39
    woodrow f. call
    (male)

woodrow f. call HB User

today is day one for me. my script ran out yesterday. have been taking hydro for approx. 6 or 7 years now. i am all too familiar with the wd symptoms. is there anything that will make them any less severe.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #40
    woodrow f. call
    (male)

woodrow f. call HB User

ok maybe a little back ground.........have been taking these devil pills for several years. up to about 15 10/325's a day lately. for the last couple of months or so,daily. i am through. will do it ct but was just hoping you guys maybe could help with the wd's. my faith in God will see me through this i know. one day at a time.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #41
    woodrow f. call
    (male)

woodrow f. call HB User

hey kitty what is this subutex you talk about. how does it work??

Old 07-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #42
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Jeff,
    Hello! I remember you from a LONG time ago.... If you can stop and stay stopped... your not one of us.. if you can't.. well.. you are the only one who can say you are a addict. I am, and have been forever... but only realized how it was controlling my life a year ago. (I have almost 10 months with no drugs or alcohol) I feel like a completely different person- I was disconnected from the world and denied it... for the tiny HIGH I got from hydros. I have learned there is no MIDDLE OF THE ROAD SOLUTION... if you want to get clean and stay that way for the rest of your life one day at a time.. you cannot ever put anything mind altering in your body again. No beer, no valumm, no ambien, no tylenol pm... all those things will trigger the disease... and once that happens... its gonna get way worse and the guilt and ache will not go away unless you DO more... there is only one way to stop and stop... and thats to get honest with God, and then get honest with another about your intermost feelings. Work the steps... make ammends and pray and meditate each day. I was never a alcoholic... but AA works for me. Have you tried any AA meetings? Try one... everyday for one week. I PROMISE you will hear things you dont want to learn about yourself, but you will find loving people who are going through the same thing as you and are willing to listen. Jeff, the best of happiness to you.... I will be here if you want to talk... I promise... real happiness is right in front of you.. you might have to walk through hell to get there.. but once your there... the feeling is as addicting as hydros BUT EVEN GREATER!
    Love,
    Sara

Old 07-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #43
    woodrow f. call
    (male)

woodrow f. call HB User

good morning all.........today is day two. life is a little better. w/d's not to awfully bad.Sara you are absolutely right about being honest with God and ourselves. that for me was the first step in realizing that it was a problem. before then it was just something i did. no problem. now i realize just how big a problem it is. let me re-phrase.......how big a problem it WAS !!!! with the help of GOD and this board i will make it through this thing no question. thanks for the support of this board. may God richly bless us all.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:10 PM   #44
    tooty

tooty HB User

Dont give up man i am on day 7 of quiting cold turkey. but let me tell u something i feel so much better. Just dont give up stick to ur guns and dont ever go down that road again

Old 07-15-2005, 08:31 PM   #45
    fj31
    (male)

fj31 HB User

For the last 10 years I don't think I've gone more than 8 hours without taking vicodin. I was up to 25-30 7.5 a day. I tapered with help and quit on fathers day. Tomorrow will be 30 days. The first 3-4 days were really bad. The second week was a little better. The 3rd week was so much better and now I can honestly say I feel better than I have in 10 years. Life is so much better for me. For all of you out there going through w/ds, just know it will get better. So much better. Its probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do but then again nothing worth while comes easy. To all of you who have supported me I thank you. God bless you all.

Frank

Closed Thread