It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• need advice/how does Darvocet 100 compare to percs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
    boaz

boaz HB User
    Question need advice/how does Darvocet 100 compare to percs?

I have several Darvocets 100mg/650.... the generic of it is propoxy stuff can't spell it out right...I'm still hanging on to my taper program....but all I've ever wanted to take was in the 5's 7.5's or 10's of opiates..so I don't know where Darvocets 100's fit in there in comparison to those...can someone offer me advice or know how they compare...for example is darvs 100 -same strength as say 10's in other stuff or what do they comparble with?? Help me out please...

Hanging tough....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User
    Re: need advice/how does Darvocet 100 compare to percs?

I'm not sure of the equivalents. But I know i've read in different studies, and it is mentioned in my pill prescription book that many people OD on Darvacet/Darvon. It's says because they don't feel a full ephoric (spelling) effect that they keep taking more and more. I've only had Darvon and it made me sick so my Doctor switched my pain meds so I don't know very much about this.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
    boaz

boaz HB User

yeah Tina I know what you mean...that's why I never bothered with them cause they didn't give me the "buzz" I was just wonder if they would be good to use in my taper program...and how many to use or cut up or whatever...hopefully someone will know?
    thanks...
    p.s. i am currently taking 3...7.5's a day....some days a pill more when I get real sore...I believe I have fibromyalgia?? I hurt like crazy and get sore with activity...but I have'nt done much either all year due to severe depression...I need to get in shape bad...

Old 08-27-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I believe Darvacets are weaker that hydro or Oxy. I know they are labeled for mild to moderate pain relieve. Did you try a search engine for info?

Old 08-28-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

I know that small amounts of darvocette are given to addicts kicking in the detox centers. Tapering eh? I feel for you. Why not just go cold turkey and kick that crap for good? Tapering is agony.

Old 08-28-2004, 07:44 AM   #6
    boaz

boaz HB User

wellll for me CT is agony..I can't stand to barf..I know...big baby...oh well..

Old 08-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #7
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

If you have the "will power" to taper....hey, do it. If you don't then you need to look at the other option....a relatively smooth cold turkey(with meds) in a detox. Barfing isn't that big of a deal. In a detox they'll give you meds to help with that.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
    RebeccaW62

RebeccaW62 HB User

Darvocet are definitely the weaker of the narcotics you describe. They are so weak which is why they are sometimes given to help opiate withdrawal. And they can help. We are just use to the strong stuff.

Darvocet is what I started on and then moved up the chain to hydro 7.5's then 10's then percocet. Percocet contains acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Percodan contains aspirin. In case you were wondering what the difference between these two are.

I tapered off opiates the first time. I have gone cold turkey several times and would recommend the tapering instead of cold turkey as cold turkey was just to "cold" for me. The last couple of times I tried going cold, I went back to hydro's as I couldn't stand the withdrawals. (Only time I was successful in cold turkeying it was when I was out and had absolutely no possiblity of getting more) But tapering helps. Just know when you taper, and you take the last one, that is it. No more. Don't go searching for more and have to start all over again. Use a diary and everytime you want to use in the future, re read your diary. Hopefully that will bring back memories that you dont' want to experience again.

Using a search engine for Darvocet is a good idea. That way you will know exactly what you are dealing with.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
    RebeccaW62

RebeccaW62 HB User

Post script to earlier post:

I didn't want to scare you at first but there are some things you need to know. I wasn't sure whether or not to write about this or not as is can be scarry, but after a lot of thought, I think you should know. But please, get your physicians advice over mine as I am NOT a doctor.

You may want to talk with your doctor about what you are taking. Darvocet can be dangerous in people who don't know what they are dealing with. Darvocet, darvon, etc. is a relative of the methodone family. It is presribed in two forms-propoxyphene hydrochloride and propoxyphene napsylate for mild to moderate pain.

Some authorities, including the AMA, say that propoxyphene is less effective for pain than a normal dose of aspirin. Which is why most people quickly move on to other substances. However, the gap between a theraputic dose and overdose is small. The margin of safety is so slight that as a little as 4 times the standard dose can cause slowness of breathing and heart rate.

Darvocet is especially dangerous when mixed with alcohol and other depressants, especially valium.

In most compounds caffeine is present which can cause insomonia. We already know we can't sleep coming off of substances so we don't need that. Check with your pharmacist to see if your rx contains any.

Also, with propoxyphene, overdoses are doubly deadly because they can happen so quickly. Darvocet is so mild that when it doesn't work, we tend to take more. What ever you do, don't take more than prescribed. Overdose happens so quickly like within an hour of taking it.

Know what you are taking. Talk to your doctor and your pharmacist. Darvocet has gotten a bad wrap since the 50's. I know you are taking it to help with your w/d symptoms not pain but as you can tell, this drug is nothing to mess around with.

Before I found this out, I use to take it for pain but realized quickly that its effective as a pain med was not very great. I use to take 12 at a time before I found out any of this info. It used to make me drunk, a different feeling than the hydro. I guess I can be glad I didn't like feeling drunk and begged my doctor for something else. I know hydro is no candy but you asked about Darvocet so I am telling you what I know about this drug.

Good luck with this medication. Just find out more of what you are dealing with. Don't be afraid to speak up to your doctor about what you know of this drug. Most druggies that I know don't mess with Darvocet but not for this reason.

Last edited by RebeccaW62; 08-28-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Closed Thread