It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Anyone Ever Addicted To Nasal Sprays??? How Long Does Rebound Congestion Last????!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
    Angelbaby03
    (female)

Angelbaby03 HB User
    Anyone Ever Addicted To Nasal Sprays??? How Long Does Rebound Congestion Last????!!!!

pleasse post back, I need some answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
    Christin

Christin HB User
    Re: Anyone Ever Addicted To Nasal Sprays??? How Long Does Rebound Congestion Last????

Usually just a few days. Just have to tough it out...try some sudafed tablets.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:47 AM   #3
    Angelbaby03
    (female)

Angelbaby03 HB User
    Re: Anyone Ever Addicted To Nasal Sprays??? How Long Does Rebound Congestion Last????!!!!

thank you. ill try that

Old 08-29-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
    RebeccaW62

RebeccaW62 HB User
    Re: Anyone Ever Addicted To Nasal Sprays??? How Long Does Rebound Congestion Last????!!!!

Try saline sprays until the congestion goes away. I know you aren't supposed to use nasal sprays for more than three days in a row or it will have the opposite effect. What you are experiencing.

You can also try steaming. Boil water. After the water boils, remove from stove and put on table (protect from heat obviously). Lean over the pan, put a towel over your head and the pan, and breath in the steam. This is also good for facials. So clean your pores afterwards.

A vaporizer may help at night.

My ex mother in law snorts salt water and swears by it. I tried it and puked. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
    Angelbaby03
    (female)

Angelbaby03 HB User

lol snorting salt water! wow ... the scary thing is that i have accually heard of that! thanks for all your advice. it really helps

*Ash

Old 08-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #6
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

I had that problem in college. Even went to the doc for it. Keep snorting "Ocean Spray"(saline) and it'll go away in a few days.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:37 AM   #7
    RebeccaW62

RebeccaW62 HB User

I think snorting salt water is an old fashion remedy.

How long have you been using nasal sprays and why do you use them?

I know when I am congested, I will reach for a nasal spray in a heartbeat. I will go to the pharmacy at 3 in the morning if I have to for relief of nasal congestion. I can take a lot of things but not that. I hate not being able to breath through my nose especially when I am sleeping.

I like the bottle that pumps and sprays. I hate the squeezable bottle. I feel like I am drowning when I use that type.

I only use them when I have a cold though which isn't that often thank goodness. I know when my kids are congested I will follow them around trying to spray their little noses. They run when they see the bottle. They funny thing is that they are 21 years old, 17 years old, and 14 years old. Just can't stop being a mother I guess.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #8
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Rebecca---'"follow them around, trying to spray their little noses" (21, 17 and 14 years old!) LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Thanks, Rebecca, for the best laugh of the week! I'm sitting here, working on some projects...and just opened your post!!! I'm laughing outloud!! :-) Lynn

Old 08-29-2004, 02:07 PM   #9
    fisherpard

fisherpard HB User

Be careful with some of those over the counter nose sprays. They can cause all kind of damage to your body. I wonder if a few days of the prescription Flonase would help. My daughter uses it and has for years and shows no tendendics of hooked.

My sister was hooked for years on over the counter brands but after she quit I think it was under a week and she was back to normal.

fisherman

Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #10
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

I used stadol ns an opiate. I found I built up a tollerance real quick using it for headaches but never built up an addiction to it. I quit using it before that could happen. My husband didn't like me on it and was always afraid something bad was going to happen when I used it because my lips turned blue and my breathing would get raspy.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:06 PM   #11
    RebeccaW62

RebeccaW62 HB User

I have forgotten what Stadol is. Can you refresh my memory?

Old 08-30-2004, 08:10 PM   #12
    jennlynn
    (female)

jennlynn HB User

Hey AngelBaby03...I am going through the same thing now. I've been addicted to nasal decongestant spray for 2 years. Today makes 6 days that I've not used any spray (other than saline) and it is getting better. I've been taking sinus allergy pills and they have helped a lot. I tried stopping a few weeks ago without taking anything and it was torcher (I thought I may have been pregnant and did not want to take pills). I could not breathe and I did not sleep all week. So try some Sudafed or Tylenol sinus allergy. It does help.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:32 PM   #13
    Saka
    Veteran

Saka HB User

While I've never actually been addicted to nasal spray, I get rebound congestion pretty quickly once I start using it. The only way I can beat it is to only clear one side of my nose and wait till the other one clears up. Takes a few days but it works.

Otherwise, saline spray is a good alternative. You can use it everyday and it doesn't matter as it is only salt water. When I get another cold I think I'll go and buy some saline spray. Much healthier than the medicated sprays.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:13 PM   #14
    puppers

puppers HB User

Hi, my name is Puppers and I'm kind of new to the board, but have done a lot of medical work in my time,
    I had used nasal sprays and I avoid them unless I have a severe cold because I have to be able to breathe better through my Bi-pap machine.
    Rebound from them can last 3-6 days and all sprays except saline salt solution sprays to keep your nasal passages moist are addictive.
    I use the spray only for two days and then use benadryl or something that is like it and ONLY contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride. The bottle will say, "compare to benadryl".
    I use benadryl two times a day for two to three days and then go back to the spray only one or two days. this helps avoid the rebound effect.
    Hope this helps and God bless.
    Puppers

Old 08-31-2004, 05:35 AM   #15
    Christin

Christin HB User
    Re: Anyone Ever Addicted To Nasal Sprays??? How Long Does Rebound Congestion Last????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RebeccaW62
    I have forgotten what Stadol is. Can you refresh my memory?
    It is a synthetic opiate...nasty, very addictive stuff! Prescribed for migraines, originally the manufacturer claimed it was not addictive, then lots of deaths and lawsuits and now it is known to be EXTREMELY addictive. When I worked in pharmacy, some of the saddest abuse/fraud customer cases that I saw were for this medication. Thankfully, there are almost no doctors left who will prescribe it.

Closed Thread