It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Xanax Weaning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #16
    Baseball65

Baseball65 HB User
    Re: Xanax Weaning

I had the good fortune(LOL!) of checking in to a rapid detox for Narcotics,that pulled the "zero tolerance" stuff on me once I was in.I told them I'd been on benzos for years,and had no intention of quitting,but they felt obliged to make me stop anyway....good ol' fashion"throw 'em in the pond and see if they can swim" mentality.
    Needless to say,I was very sick...sicker than people kicking H...I've posted about that horror show many times.Went from 6 mgs of xanax plus 45 of restoril and 10 of valium per day to ZERO.
    I almost had to be sent to the e-room from the detox.

I resumed using them after detox,and just as I told them when I checked in,have NOT abused them...the only reason I had driven the dose up so high was to reduce the shaking brought on by the Hydro/morphine combo I was addicted to.I'd been on 1 to 2 mgs for a decade and only drove up my dose as I bottomed out on painkillers...maybe 3 months worth.

I now take 1 to 2 mgs a day,but ONLY as needed.
    Like today 4 instance....I was relaxed all day so I only took 1/2 mg...no withdrawal or panic.I have switched to rotating sleep meds...I only use restoril
    (tamezapam) about once a week.Sonata,ambien and natural stuff suffice on other days if I need anything.

The only positive lesson learned was: Don't try to kick CT,and only take it when you really need it...sometimes I was eating them to"prevent" panic attacks/anxiety...now I only take it if I definitely feel the volume rising.
    DEFINITELY taper and DEFINITELY let an MD know whats going on.Its their job to keep you alive!!!

--Baseball

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 09:58 PM   #17
    marich101

marich101 HB User

Hey, My problem was with Valium not the Xanax which as we all know are in the same family. That being said, I took them for 10 years without a problem. My Dr was totally agreeable and would even change my script every now and then to say they were being used as muscle relaxer so the drug police wouldn't say anything. In '90 I was in the hospital for minor surgery and went into seizures, was in ICU for 2 days. Very scary for me but obviously not scary enough had a refill so after I got out of hospital guess where I was headed.
    But I have to say with all that happened, I think if I had it all to do over again I would still take them........I'm I guess what they call "high strung" doesn't take much to set me to spinning.
    My Dr blamed the seizure on the anest..sleeping stuff and the morphine I had in the hospital, never told him I took 50 5mg in the week before I went in the hospital. I just took my experience and went and found me another DR who gave me the xanax and never had a big problem with them...........would just feel antsy at times when I didn't take them. But I never let myself get so caught up in them like I did the valium........Gosh I loved those things.
    Talk about feeling comfortably numb........
    Guess I'm letting myself get away from the point here...do be careful they are very addicting and potentially dangerous. I never knew til it happened !
    Marilyn

Old 10-31-2004, 10:55 AM   #18
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Xanax is probably the worst drug I can thinnk of. Why any doc would put anyone on it I don't know. Withdrawal is so bad. There are so many alternatives out there......but the docs seem to not care. I know docs who won't prescribe it. they are smart and good docs. In my opinion...........hang in there and hope you can get off them!!

Old 11-01-2004, 05:00 AM   #19
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

There is a guy named Howard on this board who checks in periodically. He has done a CT and has done a valium taper. He knows a good bit about the taper thing. I know that it isn't easy.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:25 AM   #20
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

shortness of breath, achiness, spaciness, teary, and tummy aches

Housemum,

You attribute these to the Xanax. I feel teary & tummy aches in the morning. I always thought that it was the blood pressure med. that I was taking. My stomach drives me nuts (with gurgling+) & never did that before the xanax & B/P meds. I'm only 34. Shouldn't have to go through all of this...

Old 11-01-2004, 08:50 AM   #21
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

The nervous system plays hell on the GI tract. Once you are over most of the withdrawals then the stomach/colon should get better. Eat lite meals and eat often(5 to 6 meals per day instead of 3). Eat stuff that is easy to digest cuz your peristalsis is all *** up. Eat stuff that is easy on the belly. Ginger is supposed to be good as well as papaya. You can get ginger tablets and papaya enzyme tablets from the health food store.

Old 11-02-2004, 06:26 AM   #22
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

Windysan,

I got my script for 5 MGS, so I am alright. Have a docs. appt. next week, but have little faith in him. I feel like myself today. You Posted...

The nervous system plays hell on the GI tract. Once you are over most of the withdrawals then the stomach/colon should get better. Eat lite meals and eat often(5 to 6 meals per day instead of 3). Eat stuff that is easy to digest cuz your peristalsis is all *** up. Eat stuff that is easy on the belly. Ginger is supposed to be good as well as papaya. You can get ginger tablets and papaya enzyme tablets from the health food store.

It also only happens in the morning when I wake up.

I am on 100 MGS of Atenolol & Lotrel 5/20 for blood pressure as well. I thought it was that that messed with my GI tract. I never even considered the Xanax. Who knows? It is impossible to without being off of everything. I had full blood tests (CBC, Metabolic Function) 2EKGs & Chest Xray.

It only happens like 2 days a week. I'm only 34 & 5' 11" 150. When I started on the B/P meds & xanax was 20 months ago. I was 5' 11" 158. I have lost like 8 pounds or so in the past 20 months & 5 in the past 4 after gaining 5 back. I don't know if it is the Xanax or the B/P meds.

Certain foods kill me the day after like casseroles, Eggs, rich foods & etc.

At least I feel normal today.

We played a show yesterday in 90 degree heat (I'm a singer-songwriter & I made it through like a champ. 1 1/2 hours singing my a** off & moving around the stage. My bass player (200 pounds) & lead guitarist (190 pounds) were ready to pass out when the show was over. I guess that I'm healthy after all of these tests+. I just hate the side-effects.

Last edited by Lillians Axe; 11-02-2004 at 06:27 AM.

Old 11-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #23
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

The weight loss is probably due to the Xanax and the stress involved with hitting tolerance, withdrawing, getting enough in your system to de-stress, then tolerance, then withdrawing.....that's the problem with Xanax...it is so short-acting that you are constantly having to take it to get back to where you were before. Work on getting that Xanax script changed to Valium and you won't have such a hard time with it. When you are free from that chit you'll feel so much better.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:04 AM   #24
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

It's not a massive weight loss... around 8 pounds in the past 20 months, but it's been like 6 pounds in the last 4 or so. I guess that it's no big deal, but being 156 than 148, it seems a lot more to people who haven't seen me in a while. I have also gone from drinking a 6 pack a night to nothing during that time frame. I guess that could play a role as well. I will talk to my doc. next week, but I feel like myself this week now that I got my refill.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:07 AM   #25
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

Windysan,

You are saying that I could actually lose weight, just because of the in between dose withdrawals (which don't happen that frequently). I never gave that much thought. I just believed that it was the fact that my 23 year old girlfriend who is 5' 8" 113 or so moved into the house & my eating habits have changed a little bit & also I quit drinking (99.9% of the time).

Old 11-03-2004, 08:15 AM   #26
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

A young girlfriend moving in and the subsequent physical activity may have something to do with it. hehe. I do know that I dropped a ton of weight during my chaos. Like they say...."eating kills the buzz"....I think that had something to do with it.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:20 AM   #27
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

She has lived with me for over a year & we have been together almost 2. I really think that by quitting drinking (99.9% of the time) after a 6 pack a night during the week & more on the weekends made a big difference. I probably have cut out more meals than usual, but it just got me concerned. I am on 2 B/P meds (Lotrel & Atenolol). The Xanax brings the B/P down much more than the meds. At 34, I shouldn't have to worry about so much...

Old 11-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #28
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

You'll get better once you are off for good. Promise. The 6-pack per night....yep, beer belly for sure. I know it is hard for you rock/rollers to quit the party lifestyle.....but you can do it.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #29
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

Windy,

I did quit drinking a 6 a night... that is probably how I lost the weight.

Old 11-04-2004, 06:12 AM   #30
    jamesjackson

I myself had a grand mal seizure when I quit taking xanax, didnt know what state i lived in or my wifes name. It is CRITICAL that you convert to valium and wean slowly.

Closed Thread