It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Xanax Weaning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #31
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User
    Re: Xanax Weaning

I'm staying on the Xanax for now. Valium makes me feel loopy compared to it. I would like to taper with it though with the help of my doc. Valium is much stronger on my system for some reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 10:50 AM   #32
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Valium takes a little while getting used to but you should stabilize in 1 or 2 weeks. A friend of mine seized and bite part of his tongue off when he ran out of Xanax. Nasty stuff...those footballs and bars.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:09 PM   #33
    sillyfrk14

sillyfrk14 HB User

I was taking 1.75 mgs to 2 mgs a day for about a year. I ran out. I thought I was going to die!! I had horrible anxiety. I was pale, I couldnt concentrate. My vision was all wierd. Computerized. I couldnt function. It took a week to get more. Now I consistantly take at least 2 mgs a day. I up it to 4 sometimes, but because I dont stay on 4, 2 mgs a day keeps me fine. But since that time I'm so scared to stop xanax that I havent even tried. I'll kick hydrocodone any day compared to xanax. Dont run out. It sucks bad. At least you have some. Trust me, you would feel a whole lot worse if you didnt have any. It's no joke, you could die.

Old 11-05-2004, 05:31 AM   #34
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

The doses keep rising with Xanax cuz it stops working. The only way out of the madness is medical detox or a valium conversion with a slow taper. It's tough tapering Xanax b/c of the short half-life.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:17 AM   #35
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

Xanax lets me feel like myself during the day. The withdrawals are terrible if you try to cut the dose too fast. I realized that 1st hand. Valium makes me feel out of it for hours & on another planet. It's hard to function on a day to day basis on that for me.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:32 AM   #36
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

If you can maintain a safe dose of Xanax over the long haul then that's cool. The problem with most real addicts is that too much is never enough. After a while the body/brain start needing more to get that "calm, coping with life feeling". They just haven't perfected a drug that can maintain that feeling over the long haul. Xanax creeps up on you gradually, then WHAMMO, you're strung out on toxic doses. The ultimate goal is getting off the stuff. People do it all kinds of ways. Cold turkey is dangerous due to the seizure factor. Dr. Heather Ashton studied benzodiazepines in a clinical setting. She found that the best way to withdraw from benzos is to convert to valium then taper down slowly. Ashton's study is the only scientific evidence that I have found regarding benzo withdrawal. It ain't easy...there is no easy way. If you want to get off the chaos train then Ashton is probably the way to go. The initial effects of valium are sleepiness, goofiness, a buzz....but that stabilizes then it is kind of painful cutting doses. Tapering ain't easy and most real addicts fail. For those who fail tapering I always tell them to get medical supervision when trying to kick it because of the seizure dangers. You could just stay on the Xanax for life but keep in mind that the doses will continue to go up, you'll be chained to the pill bottle, and if you run out of dope it can get dangerous.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #37
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

I have been taking 5 MGS with no problem for about 7 months. I haven't increased my dose at all. The withdrawals in between can happen from time to time, but I feel like myself again. The Valium made me feel exactly like you said. I have lost a couple of pounds on this dose, but nothing major (like 3-4 pounds). It keeps my B/P in check at the doctor & gets rid of my white-coat as well. I don't drink & don't do anything else. It was just tough last week, because I went from 5 to 3, because I would have run out prior to refill date. I don't have that problem anymore. I hate the fact that I ever went on such an addictive drug, but it has made me feel like myself. I haven't felt a need to increase the doses. I am aware that at some point that I will have to taper possibly. It doesn't effect my work & I feel good 99% of the time.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:28 AM   #38
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

The way I look at is this...if you can maintain that dose for a long period then I guess that is okay. However, take a look at the medical literature that comes in the little pamphlet when you get your "medicine". It should say how long this medication is to be prescribed. You'll see that it's suggested period is a lot shorter than you think. Ask your doctor what the recommended time period is for Xanax. You'll find that the usage period is short for a reason. You hit tolerance then increase doses. I've known many people who started out with a very low dose(housewives--nondruggies in other words) who graduated up to big doses and when they tried to quit it turned them into medical disasters. Remember the danger of this drug. Do your research on this one, my friend. If it(the drug) is too good to be true....it probably is. Trust me when I tell you that it can become a big problem. When and if you decide to quit then do it carefully because when you quit this stuff...therein lies the biggest danger. It's good you aren't doing other dope as that would make your problem worse. Just be careful man....trust me on this one.

Last edited by windysan; 11-05-2004 at 09:29 AM.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM   #39
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Hey Lilaxe,

Found this information for you regarding the Xanax and how to withdraw.

good luck with it,
    w

http://www.mgh.harvard.***/forum_2/HeadacheF/4.9.997.47AMXanaxWithdraw.html[/URL]

Old 11-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #40
    Random2
    Inactive

Random2 HB User

Thanks, I'll look into it at some point.

Old 11-08-2004, 03:44 PM   #41
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Cool. I should still be around....God willing. When you are ready to get off the Xanax just be really careful....that is where things get freaky. You've experienced a bit of it so you know what lies ahead.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:43 PM   #42
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by housemum
    Any takers????
    I am a taker. Yes in that forum many have had and are having a very hard time. I know of many that have gotten off easy. I`d consider myself in the middle. I started a Valium taper at 30 mgs and worked two jobs for 6 months. Things got rough at the end of the taper and I had to stop work. I only felt like I was going to die once and that was soon after taking my last dose. Was a panic attack that seemed to have no let up. And I am convinced now that I was not going to die. It took about a month for the worst to get over. I am 7 1/2 weeks off now and still have some inner trembling, electric zaps, flu feelings, and muscle tightness. These symptoms are, however, only about 40% of what they were. I can now stand it in my skin though still shy about some social situations. Part of the reason may be the fact that I have been cooped up a while. Most of the depresson has lifted.

Ashton puts the Valium equivalency at 10 mgs for .5 mgs of Xanax. A slow enough taper would be .5 mgs a week. You feel the cuts but can sit an extra week or two if need be. You will need a stock of 2 mg and 5 mg tablets. The hardest part may involve just trying continuing with your life, not worrying or obsessing about the situation. All we can do is come off the stuff as safely as we can while doing what we can for our psychological health. Look at the symptom list in the Ashton Manual so you will not be surprised if some hit. Though I have experienced less then half on the list myself. I will be around.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:04 AM   #43
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Howie,

You are alive. Sounds like you are doing better. That's a good thing.

Yer pal in the Southland,
    w

Old 11-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #44
    housemum
    (female)

housemum HB User

Quote:
    Ashton's study is the only scientific evidence that I have found regarding benzo withdrawal. It ain't easy...there is no easy way. If you want to get off the chaos train then Ashton is probably the way to go. The initial effects of valium are sleepiness, goofiness, a buzz....but that stabilizes then it is kind of painful cutting doses.
    Yup, downloaded it all and am going to show my Dr. on Friday when I see him.

I'm gonna ask to switch from .5 mil a day of Xanax to 10 mil Valium gradually, then wean off the valium starting in Jan. I really hope it goes well.

I've been on xanax for 4 years but have never increased my dosage of .5, I just don't like the breakthrough symptoms. My dose of xanax only lasts about 5 hours and taking it only twice a day, leaves quite a few hours feeling irritable, achy, and anxiety ridden.

I'll let you all know how its going.

What I like about Ashton is she really lets you control the tapering. Doesn't make you feel bad if you have take it very slowly. She trusts the patient to moniter themselves as needed. I like that......it takes the pressure away imo.

Thanks for the info Howie.

Old 11-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #45
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by windysan
    Howie,

You are alive. Sounds like you are doing better. That's a good thing.

Yer pal in the Southland,
    w
    Hey man. I`ll give you a call soon. I have been better but today brought challenges.

Closed Thread