It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Gabitril should I take it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
    Trivial Rush

Trivial Rush HB User
    Gabitril should I take it?

I went to my neurologist and i told him i shake every once in a while. He also knew that i had recently stopped using cocaine after abusing it for 3 years along with vicodin and alcohol. I believe i get the shakes sometimes because i have brain damage, nerve damage what ever you want to call it. However, it happens to me very seldom and he didn't explain to me why i should take it and what it is suppossed to do. Does anybody have any advice on this drug, and take into consideration my past drug use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User
    Re: Gabitril should I take it?

The website says it isn't a scheduled drug and that it isn't habit forming. It is a new drug(1997) and deals with GABA. Do your research. Go to the gabitril website and check it out.

Old 11-16-2004, 01:28 PM   #3
    Trivial Rush

Trivial Rush HB User

I did do research on it i would like some advice from people who are on it if possible.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Hi Trivial...I have been taking Gabitril for about eight months now. When my doctor put me on the medication he said it was a new and improved version of Neurontin. I take 24 mgs. at bedtime. He started me at four mgs and titrated up to 24. The bottle has a little stickey on it saying it may cause drowsiness...etc. and it is suppose to help with nerve pain. I have chronic pain and my main medication for it is Methadone. I haven't noticed any big changes since I started taking it, but depending on what it is being RXed for could make a difference. It was orginally put on the market for Parkinsons.

Please let me know if I can answer any specific questions you might have.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
    bluejulie5
    Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

Wow, I would think that your dr. should have explained everything to you!

Its good that people here can help you and you can search the internet.
    good luck.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
    Trivial Rush

Trivial Rush HB User

You are taking the medication for pain? Or do you get the shakes? and you have not noticed any changes so why are you still taking it. Does it make you feel drowsy?

Old 11-18-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I am taking the Gabitril to help control phantom pain I am still having from my lung surgery. The neuralgea type pain I have runs from the sternum around the rib area to the incision on my back. It is a hot, stabbing type pain and after the intial sharp pain, there is a burning sensation for a period (it varies) of time after. Since the primary use of Gabitril is for seizures, my doctor is trying to control the nerve stimulations I have from the nerves that were cut during my surgery. As far as being drowsy from the medication, I guess I would have to say yes. I only take it a bedtime, but I also take Ambein and Klonopin, so this makes it difficult to answer your question.

I'm just curious, but how much has your doctor RXed for you? Do you take it in one dose or several times a day?

If there's any other questions you have, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
    Trivial Rush

Trivial Rush HB User

I am not taking the medication because i feel thedoctor did not explain everything clearly and i have alot of mental problems that iam worried might get worse due to the meds. But i think he prescribed 2mg and then to 4mg after 2 weeks. Does this mean i have parkinsons disease?

Old 11-19-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Trivial Rush...Not at all. Parkinsons is just one of the things it's used to treat. It is marketed for the treatment of seisures. It comes in the doses of 4, 12, 16, and 20 mgs. My doctor is just trying it to see if the pain sensations I have from the neuralgea will decrease while on the medication. As I said earlier, I haven't noticed any change in my pain level. I see my PCP in December, and I plan to discuss the medications I am currently taking with him. Gabitril will definitely be one of the ones I will bring up.

Old 11-20-2004, 04:54 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I was Rxed Gabitril for severe nerve pain.I was on neurontin for about two and a half years prior to starting the Gabitril.my pain doc said that the Gabairil is a much purer form of GABA than the neurontin and has less side effects than the neurontin.The biggest problem I am having with it is that it makes me really really tired.I was supposed to taper up to 20mgs but after just halfway there the gabitril was just kicking my butt so bad with fatigue that they just decided to keep me there.I really wish I could have made it up to the real thereputic dose as the one I am on now really is not helping me at all as it is just isn't enough.The wierd thing is that when I was on the neurontin at 3600mgs, i still never felt any real side effects from it at all.i was never ever tired after taking it at all.But boy that Gabitril is really doing a number on me.I now have broken up the doses of the Gabitril where I will take half a pill in the morning and the other half in the afternoon,and then the rest of the dose at night before bed.it really has helped me to sleep sooo much better than I was but man, during the day,even with just the halves, I still can feel it.But everyone IS different in just how they will react to the same meds.Most people who I know are on neurontin have the same reaction that I had to the Gabitril but I never had a problem at all with it.but the Gabitril is a whole different story.i think you should at least give it a try to see if it works for you.It may be the best thing that ever happened you know?the theory behind the anti siezure meds in using them for nerve pain is that those meds actually calm down inflammed nerve ending in people who suffer siezures.In nerve pain, the same theory holds.People who have nerve pain get it from inflammed or injured nerve endings and the Gabitril or neurontin help to try and calm them down hopefully resulting in reduced nerve pain.Kind of a hit or miss type of thing though.I would at the very least, give it a trial run to see if it helps you.If not, you can always stop it and give something else a try.hope it works for you.Marcia

Old 11-21-2004, 12:17 AM   #11
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

If there is a coorelation between the shaking and anxious times then anxiety may be the cause. And/or you may be experiencing residual effects from your drug withdrawals which will correct in time. No point in assuming the worst. Gabitril increases GABA production. GABA is the body`s natural calming chemical. If you have a deficency in that chemical it will help.

Last edited by howard678; 11-21-2004 at 12:23 AM.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #12
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I've been wondering, if you've been taking Gabitril for several months, at a doseage of 24 mgs, do you have to taper down when going off the drug? There are some drugs you wouldn't think of that do need to do a fairly quick taper. Since I haven't noticed any significant help from the medication, I've been toying with the idea of asking the doctor, the next time I see him, about going off the medication. I've been rather surprised at the number of people that are taking it. It is suppose to a newer, better version of Neurontin. It would be interesting to find out how many are taking it and how many are having good results.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:24 AM   #13
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

as a rule of thumb,any med that you have to taper onto,you generally also have to taper off of.All of the anti seizure meds must be tapered off over time.When i went off of the neurontin and onto the Gabatril, he had me tapering both at the same time(going off one and onto the other).This seemed to make the transition much easier actually.Now if i could just stay awake while on the gabitril here.lol.marcia

Old 11-28-2004, 12:25 AM   #14
    Bill17724

Bill17724 HB User

I just went through the same process with the same two drugs. From getting off of neurontin and starting gabitril. This has been about 2 weeks now and it seems to be a pretty smoothe transition. I am taking the gabitril for anxiety and I think it's helping some. Can I ask you how much you are taking and how do you feel? I'm taking 8mgs and am tirating up to 12mgs. It would be interesting to me to see the size of doses that other people take and how they feel while on it.

Thank you all so much. What a great website this is!

Bill

Old 11-28-2004, 04:27 AM   #15
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

i am unfortunetly at 12mgs right now and it is still making me quite tired.and i started this stuff back in feb!whenever I try to titrate up on it even just a little, the horrid fatigue that I already have gets much worse.I do want to go off it and try some other AS med.I just cannot believe this reaction i am having to it.i never really had any side effects with the neurontin until they upped my dose to 3600.But i would see and hear other people who seemed to suffer with it like I am to the gabitril.Go figure.I want to try Keppra or Topamax and see how it goes.this low dose of the Gabitril is doing nothing for me except really helping my sleep,but i guess that IS something.marcia

Closed Thread