It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Are Darvon and Darvocet the same?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
    rwam

rwam HB User
    Are Darvon and Darvocet the same?

We're still having problems with my father-in-law. He was admitted for detox to get off darvocet and darvon. He left after being there 4 days thinking he could take it from there (he's also an oxycontin addict). We called all his doctors and pharmacies and told them to stop dispensing him these medicines. 2-3 days after checking himself out, he tried to refill one of his darvon scrips and he was denied. He confronted us about it, claiming he was only addicted to darvocet and was only being treated for darvocet. We think darvon and darvocet are the same, but he says no. Who's right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
    marich101

marich101 HB User
    Re: Are Darvon and Darvocet the same?

The only difference is Darvocet has tylenol in it and Darvon has aspirin..thats the only difference that I know of. Hope it helps, try looking them up on one of your search engines and it will probably explain it better
    Marilyn

Old 11-28-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Don't let him fool you. They both have the same active (and addictive) ingredient. the only difference is is that Darvocet has add'l tylenol, Darvon contains add'l aspirin.

Old 11-28-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
    rwam

rwam HB User

Thanks...that's what we were kind of thinking. Otherwise, he wouldn't be able to alternate one for the other without going into withdrawals.

It almost sounded like we were listening to someone say he was an alcoholic, but he was only addicted to vodka and not gin.

So, here's what's really weird, and you have to take this with a grain of salt since we're getting this from him and not his doctor: He was admitted for Darvocet and Darvon addiction, yet he insists the residing doctor gave him a scrip for Propoxyphene (what we consider to be Darvon). He says the doc was only treating him for Darvocet and not Darvon, so that's why he wrote the scrip. Could a psychologist overseeing a detox program be so ignorant as to do this?

Old 11-28-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
    marich101

marich101 HB User

I could be wrong but I didn't think a psychologist could perscribe meds, things could have changed. I guess if a nurse practioner can surely they could figure out a way for a psychologist to do it.
    Darvon/darvocet are really one of the weakest of the painkillers, and if he is an oxycontin addict they may be trying to bring him down with the darvocet.Oxy's are pretty strong........I don't know Hon, nothing some of these jokers in the medical profession would surpise me and trying to second guess them is impossible. My only thought on that is like I said maybe bring him down with the weaker drug lessen the WD symptoms. Check out the Lilly or Darvon website it will give you some info.
    Wish I was more help
    Marilyn

Old 11-29-2004, 04:25 AM   #6
    rwam

rwam HB User

Thanks Marilyn....I think you're right about some of these yah-hoos that call themselves doctors. The only success we've seem to have had in getting them to stop writing him scrips is casually mentioning that it may just be easier for us to contact the DEA's Diversion Control Program and let them deal with his doctors and pharmacies.

Also, it does sound like they were trying to get him off the D/D first before attempting the Oxycontin detox.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:50 AM   #7
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

proproxyphene is the main ingrediant in both darvon & darvocet. They are a weak painkiller, and many drug abusers take several at one time. This is why proproxyphene has a high overdose rate. They are very common in drug abusers. Easy to get a script for. I wish your family the best during this trying time.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
    rwam

rwam HB User

Thanks, Vamp. My father-in-law takes about 5000 mg of darvon/darvocet a day. It's awful. His usual morning dose is 1300mg. That doesn't even include the oxycontin. Been to the e.r. 3-4 times already this year and he doesn't understand why. We think that after 20 years of abusing these meds, his liver's finally shutting down. What a waste. I guess it's not an uncommon story though. Thanks for your support.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
    marich101

marich101 HB User

rwam,
    It's tough watching someone you love go thru this, my thoughts and prayers are with you. And there are alot of great people on this board so if you just need to talk you'll find warm hearts and compassion just about anytime of the day. Just reach out......
    My Best
    Marilyn

Old 11-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #10
    Paintaker
    (female)

Paintaker HB User

i have had this happen also, when i was prescrbed oxys and vics, my then livein boyfriend always snuck some of my pills for his own pleasure. that issue actually was the demise of our relationship. I hope you the best. And if i were you, i would confront him.

linda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be safe,

Linda

Closed Thread