It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Tolerance question from chronic back pain sufferer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
    blueswimmer
    (male)

blueswimmer HB User
    Tolerance question from chronic back pain sufferer

Hello all,

I've posted thsi question previously on the 'back pain' board, but didn't get as much feedback as I wanted, so I thought I'd try here. I've been through a lot of pain the past few years. I'm only 33 and feel like I've got a lifetime of back pain to deal with.

My question centers on how I can reduce the extent to which my body builds a tolerance to pain meds. I have 3 herniated disks. Thankfully, my pain is not 24/7. It usually gets worse during the day and only gets to the 'medication' point usually late in the afternoon. But by evening, sometimes it is unbearable.

My doctor has prescribed percocet 5/325 as needed. At first, I was worried about taking narcotics, but I'm nearly past this internalized stigma. I felt guilting asking for strong pain meds, but my doctor was very supportive after he saw my MRI. When I take pain meds, I usually only take 1 percocet, sometimes with an Advil because I'd rather not have to take a second perc if an advil with the first perc will do it. But there have been times when I've needed 2 or 3 percs (total during the day, not all at once) but this is not the norm.

So.... how fast does a person typically build up a tolerance to percocets? My doctor said that he had no problems whatsoever prescribing the meds I need but he also said that if it got to the point of taking 5 or 6 percs a day, that he said we should talk about a long-acting med like oxycontin. I'm kinda scared of getting to that point because then it becomes "every day, all the time" rather than "as needed."

How quickly does tolerance develop at the level I'm taking them? Maybe I'm being overly concerned. I will say that taking percocet really helps the pain and let's me do "normal" things like cook, household chores, etc. Without it, I'm miserable and avoid life activities which I enjoy but are excruciatingly painful.

-blueswimmer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 02:34 AM   #2
    Spiceman
    (male)

Spiceman HB User
    Re: Tolerance question from chronic back pain sufferer

For years I had pain in the lower back from throwing a water logged hay bail on to the hay wagon. It was a problem for years.

If your disks are ruptured if I understand that means they are causing pressure on the nerves of the spinal column. I only had one that was causing pressure. But I found that medications, as pain killers were only a temporary necessity till I could heal. Not to keep plugging away, while it didn't hurt.

From what I understand, pain killers are like cutting the wire from the radiator to the temperature indicator on the dash of the car. Not a good idea.

Now that I am completely over my ordeal, I suggest it was the time I spent learning about recovery from MS, that lead to My back recovery. At the same time I recovered from allergies, migraines, depression and loneliness.

1 - Clear the body of parasites, germs, and yeasts, and more in particular Candida Albicans. It turns alcohol and sugars into an opiate like substance and is seen as a suspect responsible for relapse.

2 - Eat protector foods that prevent the above from gaining terrain on your terrain. "Feed the host not the hitch Hiker."

These are a few of my thoughts and experiences. Don't ever give up the ship, she is the only one we have. Good luck!

P. S. I just can't wait for you to read this!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Spiceman; 01-18-2005 at 02:36 AM.

Closed Thread