It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Ultracet Withdrawal And Palpitations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
    BH2004
    Inactive
    (male)

BH2004 HB User
    Ultracet Withdrawal And Palpitations

My doctor precribed me ultracet for back pain a couple of months ago. I took 4 pills a day until foolishly I began taking six a day for a week. When I returned to taking 4 a day I began having heart palpitations. A couple of days after starting the palpitations I quit the ultracet. Ended up in the ER for the palpitations and extreme chills and nervousness. When I say nervousness I mean not being able to sit down at all. This was Christmas Eve by the way. Anyway, my doctor did not seem to like me calling him on Christmas eve(like I really wanted to call him on Christmas eve). He would not even hear my complaint of heart palpitations before he hung up. Since then I have continued to have them. I have hundreds a day. I cannot go ten seconds without having one. Somedays I can go to the gym and run or swim and they will go away for awhile. This has been going on for 4 weeks and seriously I do not think I can take much more. I believe I am going through some sort of withdrawal but when I went to go see a Cardiologist he said Ultracet is not addicting and that this would pass. I also seen a GP and he believed that I have clinical anxiety. I mean will anyone consider the fact that the Ultracet is related. I have decided to not take anymore medications which I think now might be a mistake. Maybe the beta-blockers could stop the palpitations, but I hear that can cause side effects. Anyway, if anyone has had similar reactions to a pain killer like this please let me know. I am serious when I say that I am exhausted and cannot take much more

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User
    Re: Ultracet Withdrawal And Palpitations

Hi, and welcome to the boards! I am so sorry you are suffering so.
    Like yourself, Ultram was prescribed to me as an alternate to the opiates and was I told it was not addicting. It wasn't until I came here to this board that I started to hear that in fact it is VERY addicting and coming off of it does have nasty withdrawal. I learned this by doing a search on Ultram (same as Ultracet without the tylenol) or Tramadol, it's generic name. Please do a search here and in the "archives" (click on Archives on bottom of page) to learn more. Doctors are just not informed about this medication and alot of people are suffering! It is recommended to not discontinue it abruptly as it can cause seizures, but to slowly lower your dose.
    I absolutely believe your symptoms can be a result of you stopping abruptly and would encourage you to see a doctor, possibly an addictionologist in your area who would be familiar with withdrawal and your symptoms. The good news is is that you are already past the worst of the w/d, but it sounds like you might need some additional help.
    Btw, I remain on a very low dose of the Ultram (2-50 mg. a day) for nerve and breast pain (b/c) but share your concerns about it's addictive nature. Please do a search and maybe others will chime in and add there experience with this medication.
    You shouldn't have to suffer with these symtoms. I wish you quick relief. Please see someone knowledgable in this area for help, ASAP.
    El

Old 01-23-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi There, I have a history of high blood pressure and heart palpitations. I recently took Tramadol for like 4 or 5 days and when i went off of it i had ALOT of palpitations for a couple of days. They slowly subsided and went away. So i guess in my opinion, your palpitations could very well be coming from the use of the ultracet. I would do a search on ALL the side effects of the ultracet and educate yourself about it, then find a dr who will listen to you and help you!!!!!

ValleyGurl

Old 01-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
    BH2004
    Inactive
    (male)

BH2004 HB User

Thanks for the reply guys. My main problem is trying to keep a good outlook on this thing. Just about all of the w/d symptoms are gone except for the palpitations. They come so frequently. The only other w/d is night sweats and severe anxiety feelings that leave as quick as they come. Its really freaky because I use to being able to predict such feelings. What I mean is if you start thinking about something that worries you then you can get this nervous feeling. Not for me anymore. I get an extreme feeling in my chest for no reason. This is hell.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
    bewildered42
    (female)

bewildered42 HB User

Hi BH,

I'm wondering if you've ever been diagnosed with a mitral valve prolapse? Just curious as people with this are really proned to palpitations and anxiety. There is a great site that teaches all about it...www.**********.com

What often happens with palpitations is that something sets them off(like the ultracet withdrawal) and then the intense dislike/fear of them perpetuates them. Meaning it's the palpitations themselves that are creating palpitations. Am I making sense? Palpitations are very alarming, but most of the time they aren't serious. I've had them for years and years and I'm fine. I do have a something called Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome which was diagnosed by a cardiologist. I take a very low dose of Toprol at bedtime and that really does help with the palps. Toprol is a beta blocker. Many people take it during the day as well. If the palps don't go away soon, consider seeing a cardiologist for help with them. No use suffering all the anxiety that comes with them.

Just for your info..I'm struggling mightily with ultracet. It's highly addictive.

BW.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
    BH2004
    Inactive
    (male)

BH2004 HB User

Hey BW! I went to see a Cardiologist a week ago. He did a sonogram and a stress test. I actually asked him point blank,"Do I have Mitral Valve Prolapse", and he said "no". One of my aunts have it thats why i knew to ask. The anxiety that I have is not natural. It comes without the thought of anything. I mean I can remember being really anxious about something and never having anything like this. I believe that the Ultracet is out of my system but that it has altered certain brain chemicals which is throwing my whole body into this crazy fit. I grew up in south louisiana and one could say this is "couyon" meaning "crazy". Anyway, tommorrow I am going to seek an addiction counselor so at least somone in the medical community can validate some of my theories. Prays to everyone who is suffering.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BH2004
    tommorrow I am going to seek an addiction counselor so at least somone in the medical community can validate some of my theories.
    I'm so glad you will be seeing someone tomorrow. Sounds like you may need something to help with your symtoms of anxiety. Please let us know what you learn.
    In the meantime, hot bubble baths may help!

Old 03-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #8
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Bumping up this thread. Ultracet is horrible, very, very addictive. I took it for back pain for 7 weeks & am in withdrawals now. IT's horrible. Stay away from this med & ultram too.

I have panic & depression, so the w/d symptoms drive me mad, at times I think I'm going mad!!!

I have tremors, vertigo, nausea, headaches (horrible ones) nitemares, chills, fever etc...

Also, many, many periods of heart palps!!!

Last edited by lori j; 03-02-2005 at 10:38 PM.

Closed Thread