It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• MUST READ "MY FIANCE IS PREGNANT AND TAKING SUBOXONE" PLEASE HELP US

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User
    Unhappy MUST READ "MY FIANCE IS PREGNANT AND TAKING SUBOXONE" PLEASE HELP US

Hello All, not sure if any of you remember me but I was on this board a little over a year ago and you all helped me greatly come off opiates. In the meantime my fiance and I have relapsed and have been taking suboxone for the last 4-5 months. We just found out that she is pregnant approx 6-7 weeks in. We are very concerned about her taking suboxone throughout the pregnancy. We went to the doctor today to get advice and it wasn't good at all. Currently my fiance Nicole is only taking a very low dose about 2mg everyday or even every other day. This is what my doctor recomends.

First off he is very new at prescribing this drug he didn't have too many answers. We asked him is it safe to continue? Is it safe to come off? He said we have a few options:
    He cannot continue treating her with suboxone because there aren't enough studies about it, he can switch her to Subtex but still not guarenteeing anything safe. He recommended going onto Methodone to maintain her opiate addition.

She wants to quit cold turkey but the doctor says we are risking the change of a miscarriage. We feel that because of her low opiate addiction the withdrawal statistics that showing miscarriages might not obtain to someone with such a small opiate addiction. If Nicole doesn't take the suboxone for 2 days the 3rd day she really starts to go through withdrawals. We don't know what to do and I know the place to be is getting some real life experience from all of you. Please everybody read and help us, this is not only our lives it is our upcoming new born baby. Please Respond.

Regards,
    Gregg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #2
    Best Friend
    Veteran

Best Friend HB User
    Re: MUST READ "MY FIANCE IS PREGNANT AND TAKING SUBOXONE" PLEASE HELP US

Greggr, can you and Nicole write/email/phone the drug company that produces Suboxone? Surely, THEY will have some info for you. I cannot imagine that the company's studies and dr/consumer instructions do not include warnings OR safety assurances for taking this drug. (Practically EVERY pill today advises "those who are pregnant.") I think you need to go to the source. Good luck and keep us posted!!! And, congratulations!!
    TwinAlice

Old 02-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User

You are so right where are these warnings, you know the first day we went to our suboxone doctor not once were we asked if she was pregnant or planning to become pregnant. We were just giving the pills before any tests were done at all. We did give urine on day one but still walked out with our prescription before any tests were complete. And now we go to the Doctor today tell him she is pregnant and he says I can't treat you anymore. That's Great.
    Although this drug is a miracle drug when it comes to coming off the opiates but now we have the toughest decision to make where there is no right answer

Does She:
    - Quit the suboxone and hope the withdrawals don't cause a miscarrage

OR

-Let the doctor put her on Methadone and let the baby suffer with the addiction.

We are leaning with the quitting the suboxone because we feel her opiate addition is not that severe.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Greggr,

So sorry about your worries! I would think the person who would know the most about it would be a addiction doc. Can you call one tomorrow, I know its Saturday but some do work on Saturdays. Also, contact a "high risk" pregnancy doctor. I went to one with my second child. They are VERY aware of EVERYTHING that would cause a miscarriage.

I know you want to hear the right answer from people on this board- but please please consult a high risk pregnancy doctor and I bet they will know what to do. Your PCP will probably know who you can contact.

I will pray for you, your fiance' and the baby. I really hope you find out what to do. Please keep us informed.

Love,
    Sara

Old 02-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #5
    DallasAli
    (female)

DallasAli HB User

Hi,

I am so sorry for the quandry you both are in...please know that whatever happens, though, you were in treatment for your addiction, and it was never your intention to hurt your unknown-about child. I hope you do not overwhelm yourselves with feeling down on things...you are doing all you can now to find help and direction and answers to your current situation and that is commendable in itself.

I was a pain pill addict for years, and at the point of taking an avg. of 15+ of the 10/325 vicodin (norcos) a day, I finally sought the help of a methadone clinic. At first it amazed me to see pregnant women at the methadone clinic, but after just talking to my counselor about it, I must say I was glad to know that this option is available for parents in this situation (it just came up randomly in conversation...I can no longer get pregnant, but for some reason, we began talking about opiate addicts who get pregnant and what methadone can do for them...)

From what I understand, the mother starts methadone at about 30 mgs. a day, and goes up or stays level depending on how severe her withdrawals are. One pregnant woman is at 120 mgs. a day, which is the same as my doseage. The doctors at the clinic work with the ob/gyn (I believe, but am not positive) on coming up with a plan for when the baby is born as the baby will be born addicted to methadone. There is something called tincture of methadone (?again, please don't quote me on that name as I am not sure?), and it is given to the baby to wean them down after they're born...taper if you will, off of the methadone. It takes approximately two weeks for the baby to withdraw from the methadone my counselor said.

If you found out early on, that is great and will work on your behalf if you choose to go the methadone route. I have been going to this clinic 7 months, and I have seen at least a half a dozen pregnant women there continuing their treatment with the methadone. The theory, of course, is that methadone is somehow easier than whatever the mother was using before as far as getting off of it, as well as there is more trial study information available to help get the babies off the methadone as they will be born addicted to it, there is no getting around that. But is that better than being addicted to heroin or other opiates? The methadone clinic says 'yes.'

I wish I knew something about Sub and pregnancy, but I have no information on that whatsoever. As I did just have this "pregnant and on methadone" conversation with my counselor very recently, though, I did want to share what little I know about it with you and your partner.

Please know that my thoughts and best wishes are with you both, and I think it is wonderful that your partner would consider sacrificing her physical well-being and going c/t in order to make things safer for your baby, but on the other hand, it could lead to other problems such as high blood pressure, stress on the baby and the mother, and maybe a lot of other things we don't know about. I think you have to decide on which plan is going to keep the baby's mother as comfortable as possible throughout her pregnancy in order to avoid other unforseeable problems, and with the help of your doctor and/or a clinic, come up with a birth plan for your baby in the event you chose a way through this that results in your baby born with mild addiction.

I hope you will keep us posted on how you are doing and coping with this, and please know that you are not, nor will you be, judged at any clinic or by any caring physician who knows you are only trying to do what is best for mother and child when faced with such a difficult scenario.

You have all my best wishes at heart, and please take care of both of yourselves...

Dallas Alice

Old 02-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

It is such a new drug that they are not going to be able to tell you what the effects might be on the baby. Methadone they do have experience with and I know many people who had healthy babies and were on methadone the whole time. I am pregnant to but have been clean for three years. I was pregnant on methadone but was in full active addiction and lost the baby. Crack, alcohol, pills, dope and methadone. I did not know i was prego. In comparison to methadone how low is 2 mg of sub? If you had to put it into bag comparison or methadone comparison what would you say it is? One thing i would think about would be definatly going on methadone and if it is a low enough dose then you should be ok. The only thing with methadone babies is they like to be wrapped tight in their blankets and held a lot. It is the withdrawl.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User
    Smile Re: MUST READ "MY FIANCE IS PREGNANT AND TAKING SUBOXONE" PLEASE HELP US

Hey Guys its me Nicole. I was reading everyting all of you wrote and it gave me chills. Ill be ok though I know we will but keep praying ok it sets my mind at ease to know im not the only one. The more voices the better you know. I just have to belive in this method. I Know many people belive methadone might be a better way to go but i cant do that. I woulden be able to hear my baby crying because of a drug addiction i gave to her/him. Maybe that is selfish on my part but i guess in the end its my decision. I just hope i dont regret it. Anyway the pain really suck but i dont think im on enough suboxone to have really really horrible withdrawl. Of course to me right now its bad but i know it could be so much worse. Anyway thank you all for responding. Not only is it touching but it keeps my mind off thing to read what you all have to say so thanks again. Nicole

Old 02-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User

This is Gregg, Nicoles Fiance in reference to the Sub VS. Methodone question I think 2mg of Suboxone to 5mg of Methodone everyday or every other day would be a good comparason. Nicole has made up her mind, she is going cold turkey off the suboxone and this is day 2 for her, just about complete. We just need everyone to pray the stress of her withdrawal doesn't cause a misscarriage. I get real nervous that we are taking this decision into our own hands by not putting her on methodone. She is right she has made it this far why take a chance of having our baby addicted to drugs when if she stays strong throughout the withdrawals and everything works out then we can celebrate for the decision we made. She is strong willed and I give her a lot of credit. I keep changing my mind, one minute I think cold turkey is the answer then next minute I tell her to take maybe 1mg of suboxone to try and bring her off slowly instead of causing this discomfort not taking anything. The doctor told us he cannot treat her on suboxone anymore while being pregnant so she says that she won't take anymore Suboxone to come off slowly because there might be some other side affects. I will back her 100%. If anyone can tell us how long we should expect her withdrawal symtoms to last that would really be helpful. Once again thank you all and please pray for our first baby to enter into our lives healthy and drug-free. Strong love goes out to all of you.

Thanks for all the support
    Gregg

Old 02-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #9
    zchndrwsmmy
    (female)

zchndrwsmmy HB User

Nicole & Greg,

First of all, congratulations!! And good luck with your decision, all "3" of you are in my prayers.

Just some FYI, subutex is in the class C pregnancy category. Class A is acetaminophen, meaning no chance of harm if taken correctly. Class B means the drug is considered safe. Class C means they think it is safe but should be monitored carefully. If the result of not having the med is of more risk than taking the drug, then it will be prescibed. Class D means under regular circumstances, it is not prescribed because it has been proven to cause possible harm to the fetus. Because Subutex is so new, not many- if any- studies have been conducted on humans because who wants to volunteer to be the guinea pig for such? But, I know in some cases it is prescribed during pregnancy. The dr office where I go to get Sub, the secretary took it while pregnant, not the entire pregnancy, but just to taper to get off of oxycontin. I think she started taking it at about 2 months preg (when she found out she was preg, decided to get off the oxycontin and this is the route she chose) and taper till her 5th month. She had a healthy, nonaddicted baby boy weighing 8lbs 1oz. And her preg was normal with no complications. The chance of her continuing the oxys was of greater risk for potential harm than the sub.

I totally support the decision you have made to ct it. But, should that get to rough, I would say to not hesitate to get assistance rather it be sub or methadone. (For instance, use the subs you have now to taper) Methadone is proven safe, my understanding. And I have read that if the baby does have wd, they have a very comfortable way to treat the baby where there is not discomfort.

Now, with all that said, let me tell you my story. When I found out I was pregnant, I quit taking opiates and suffered the wd's. My pregnancy was very rough. I had too many UTI's to count and my doctor prescribed hydro's very numerous times. Also, I battled with bronchitis and was prescribed Notuss and Histex very numerous times as well. Seemed like if I wasn't taking hydro in pill form, I had it in liquid. I would guestimate that I took some form of hydro atleast 90% of my pregnancy. On July 23, 2004 I gave birth to not one but two healthy baby boys. They came 4 weeks early but that is considered good for twins. Despite the almost continuous use of hydro, my babies were born nonaddicted. So, not in all situations do babies suffer withdrawals.

Anyway, I wish you all the best. Rather you stick with you decision or change your mind, I don't think there is any need to suffer. Just being preg is hard enough without being tormented with addiction and wd's. Just be honest with your OB about everything and you and your baby will be fine. (make sure you have an OB that you truly like and trust). Please keep us posted on how things are going. Good luck !!

~Anne

Old 02-06-2005, 06:14 AM   #10
    greggr
    (male)

greggr HB User

Anne,

Thank you so much for that advice, you made our day, last night was so tough for Nicole, she tried to go cold turkey and she got real bad withdrawal symptoms to the point in which I forced her to take 1mg of suboxone. She is feeling a lot better now and I am going to slowly taper her down instead of quitting cold turkey. I couldn't imagine the stress put on our baby last night, we are going to have to take our chances with this new drug.

? Do you think Subutex would be better for her then Suboxone, because our doctor called us on the phone to discuss one other option and that was to switch her from Suboxone to Subutex. He said we will have to sign a million documents for him to not be liable for anything to happen.

We are so scared right now because we feel there is no guarenteed right decision, your responce helped us feel so much better hearing about a real life suboxone pregnancy story. We have been searching for answers from so many different sources and we keep hitting a brick wall. Our doctor had nothing to tell us but he is new at this and straight out told us he is not sure what we should do. I called so many hotlines and still no educated answers. I am going crazy trying to play doctor. I personally feel I can get Nicole to taper off the suboxone just not sure how long it will take and hoping that this drug doesn't have anything in it that will harm the baby especially in her 1st trimester. There is just no way she will go on Methodone, she is so done with these opiates but can't seem to find an easy way out that is safe for the baby.

Please right back with anymore advice, after Nicole read this post I finally saw some real hope in her eyes. Thanks

Gregg

Old 02-07-2005, 07:13 AM   #11
    zchndrwsmmy
    (female)

zchndrwsmmy HB User

Hi Gregg & Nicole,

Glad I might could be of some help. Please remember, I am not a medical professional, I am just sharing my opinion along with info I have gathered while researching on sub and a personal story of someone that I do know personally who went through a similar situation. I know what it feels to be worried about what you are doing to your baby because I worried my entire pregnancy and I did try to quit numerous times but each time it seemed like I would end up in the hospital with at UTI. Due to the UTI's I went in premature labor four times (1st time at 24wks) and was therefore in the hospital four times scared to death I was going to lose my babies or they would be born with problems. One time they put me on magnesium sulfate to stop contractions and I honestly thought they were killing me, that is something you want to avoid if at all possible.

Don't beat yourself up for needing to taper the meds. I totally back you on this. Because if your body is not in good shape like from the wd's then your baby is going to be stressed also. Thats why its important for Mommy to take care of herself and not forget about her well being as well as the baby's.

The secretary took Subutex. Subutex contains only one drug- Buprenorphine. Suboxone contains that plus Naloxone which is just kind of like an insurance policy that you won't abuse or shoot up while on the med; and I'm sure its safe to say you are not at risk of doing that. Anyway, since Subutex contains only one drug, I would say to use that instead of Suboxone. Because why take something that you really don't need like the naloxone when you are pregnant. Since the Buprenorphine is what controls wd's, this is all, I would think, you would actually need. This is probably why your doctor recommends Subutex over the Suboxone. So, I say go ahead and take the dr up on his offer of Subutex and tell him to get the papers ready. And don't beat yourself up about it!!! !!! By beating yourself up about it, you are adding stress to yourself and that is definetely not good for neither you or the baby. Atleast by going this route, your baby is doubtful to be born addicted, as opposed to methadone, because you will have been off of the drug for awhile before the birth. My OB told me about the hydro when I was pregnant that as long as you do not consume something the entire time you are pregnant then the baby should not go through wd's after he/she is born. And like I said yesterday, my twins did not have withdrawals which I truly consider a miracle.

Nicole- I know it may seem impossible, but try to relax. Think about all the babies born to mothers who are addicted to heroin, crack, etc. and those mothers who abuse the whole time knowing/ignoring the potential damage. This is not what you are doing by any way, shape or form!! You are taking a prescibed medication to taper off so you won't put your baby at risk from the nightmarish ct wd's. I don't mean to get relegious on ya but I truly believe that God does not put more on us than we can handle. I take peace in believing that. So, remember, by taking care of yourself- you are taking care of your baby. Don't forget to be completely honest with your OB so he can treat you appropiately, for instance- so he won't give you anything that might react badly with the Subutex. BTW, good luck being preg during the summer, I was soooo miserable

Let me/us know how it goes and please stick around- you might just help someone else facing the same situation as you. Best wishes to you both, you guys have so much joy to look forward to.

~Anne

Old 02-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #12
    agentalias
    (female)

agentalias HB User

I successfully tapered of Subutex and am a single mother of a 6 year old. Please taper off it so you body won't go through such terrible WDS. Sub detox is hydro WD two fold. Your withdrawls are two fold and yes Nicole may miscarry! REmember that Subutex is a long acting opiate and you will feel the WDs after about the 24-36 hour. That's the reason why so many people relapse. Please read my twin sisters (over) post and it'll give you more info. Tapering off SUb will be much easier for your body and the WDs. Don't get me wrong you will still feel the discomforts of WDs, but not as severely as just jumping off it.

Take care.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #13
    sal946
    (female)

sal946 HB User
    Smile

Hey guys, I am about to make your day. I am going to tell you what happened to me, and I think your going to find out that what your doing is fine, and your going to have a very happy, and healthy baby. I have been exactly where you are, and instead of putting myself through horrible w/d's, I deceided to take 1mg a day. Wow what a difference in how I felt. Just remember everytime you put yourself into the w/d's your putting your unborn baby into w/d's to. So keep on doing what your doing, and you will be fine, and the baby will be happy, and heathly.

Methadone addicted babies are miserable, of course depending on intake amounts. I feel your doing the right thing, and as long as your up front with your doctor, you will be fine. The question you had about switching med's, I just delivered a baby who's mom was taking miminal amounts just to keep the ugly's away, and she was fine, oh the mom was fine to. So follow your heart, and we all are praying for you and the baby. Let us know how you do, any questions you know the routine. Take care
    Peace
    Sally

Last edited by Mod-S4; 01-17-2006 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Please read the Posting Rules.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
    sal946
    (female)

sal946 HB User

Hey, I forgot to ask how far along are you?

Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #15
    sal946
    (female)

sal946 HB User
    Smile Re: MUST READ "MY FIANCE IS PREGNANT AND TAKING SUBOXONE" PLEASE HELP US

I went back and read the forum on this, and I agree with Anne, there are things you need to be aware of, but keep in mind, that you can only do with what you have. And your trying to do the best you can for you and the baby. Don't stress over it, your going to be fine. Keep in mind there are reactions to every drug you take, so relax, and chill out alittle if you can. Take a warm bubble bath, and have Gregg wash your back, lite some candles, play some soft music, and turn off the phones. Just enjoy each other for that moment in time, and don't worry about everything, your doing what you have to do, and that is all you can do, so go run that bath water, and enjoy. That's an order.
    Peace and prayers going your way
    Sally

Closed Thread