It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• methadone and hydro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
    Tiffrose
    Inactive

Tiffrose HB User
    methadone and hydro

my doctor prescribed me methadone and hydro for pain. i thought methadone was to help with withdrawals. anyway i stopped taking it because it caused terrible constipation. i mean i couldn't go at all. question is. should i save the methadone for when i stop taking the hydro's. ive been taking hydro's for a year for a herniated disk. hydro's don't hardly work anymore because i'm tolerant i guess. what do you think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
    pillzpillzpillz

pillzpillzpillz HB User
    Re: methadone and hydro

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiffrose
    my doctor prescribed me methadone and hydro for pain. i thought methadone was to help with withdrawals. anyway i stopped taking it because it caused terrible constipation. i mean i couldn't go at all. question is. should i save the methadone for when i stop taking the hydro's. ive been taking hydro's for a year for a herniated disk. hydro's don't hardly work anymore because i'm tolerant i guess. what do you think.
    Methadone is nothing to fool arounnd with - it is an extremely good pain medication, I wouldn't stop taking it if I were you - in fact, I am surprised you were able to stop taking it abruptly, assuming you did that - I would imagine you haven't been on it long if you aren't having withdrawals.

Anyway, if you aren't going to take it as prescribed then you shouldn't save it. It is very easy to over dose on methadone b/c it is a long acting medication and if you take more before it's time, you could accidentally OD - Again, it is a very strong opiate that is used for pain as well as addiction. Please be careful with this drug and use as prescribed or tell your Dr. you do not want to take it. The constipation will improve by itself, or you can ask your Dr. for Miralax, an amazing prescription for constipation.

If I were you, I would stick with the plan the Dr. prescribed and not change anything until you meet with your Dr. again.

-Pillz

Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
    electricguy
    (male)

electricguy HB User

Just as a side not, when I was making small talk with my detox doctor I asked which drug was the hardest to get off of *I was using norco* he got a big wide eyed look on his face and said methadone is by far the hardest- and I was the hydro is the easiest. Keep it in mind if its something that just starting up.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
    sue371974

sue371974 HB User

As with all opiate drugs you just have to come off the methadone very SLOW when you do decide to stop taking them.

Sue

Old 02-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
    bluejulie5
    Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiffrose

Wow I am surprised that your Dr. would prescribe you both methadone
    and hydro at the same time.

I am even more surprised that your Dr. would not give you exact
    instructions on what to take when and everything.
    He/she just gave it to you without explaining anything??
    Very Odd.
    You are not supposed to take methadone and hydros. at the same time.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #6
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

im on 100mg of meth for a year/half now....was on hydro for years too....went from 3 a day to 50 a day...yeah you get tolerant....you need to just be sober....you are going to hit w/'ds after two to three days after stopping methadone....you will be searching for phsco releive.......

Closed Thread