It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• ambien-how long can u take it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User
    ambien-how long can u take it?

the ambien webiste says it recommended for 7-10 days. my doctor just keeps givin it to me in like 6 month supplys. theyve never even said anything about it becoming a problem. i dont take it every night, just sorta as needed, like 4 nights a week. is that okay or am i headed for disaster with these too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
    Mike_NY
    (male)

Mike_NY HB User
    Re: ambien-how long can u take it?

I took ambien for about 9 months or longer before I moved on to hydro. I don't believe I started the hydro for some time after stopping the ambien.

I had no problem getting off them. I only took 5-10mg's a night with a glass of wine usually. May have had a hard time falling asleep for a few nights but that was it. That's just me. My doctor gave me a seemingly endless supply of them as well. I never seemed to get a tolerance for it. 5-10 mg's and I was feeling it. Oh yeah did I mention the time period that I used coke during the week and used ambien to ease the crash, and pass out it so i can make it to work the next day? Oh jeez. I thought I was a genious with this formula. I was a walking self medicated zombie. But a functional one somehow.

Be very careful with this stuff especially when you first start using it. I had a few blackouts from it, the darndest feeling. Very scary. Even though I cut it out pretty quickly it's still not recommended to stop taking it suddenly.

Good luck and be careful.

Mike

Old 02-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
    girl75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girl75 HB User

hola, for some reason when i was prescribed ambien it was prescribed for along time also. unfortunatly i was doing things and saying things i did not remember doing when i would take them. pretty weird. now i take resteril and i feel a little more in control with it. but even with those there has been no talk about when i should stop taking them. i do feel like i need them though because when i don't have them i feel like how am i gonna fall asleep tonght. sure enough i end up pretty much pulling an all nighter. i try and keep otc sleep meds which help when there is nothing else. good luck and i hope that somehow this has helped. keep me posted robin (girl75)

Old 02-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
    herbal
    Inactive

herbal HB User

Why are doctors giving out so much of this stuff?

Ambien (zolpidem tartrate) should only be used for 7-9 days (as someone else noted I believe).

AMBIEN

A: PO: Initially 5mg maint: 5 - 15mg h.; average: 10mg h.s.; use for 7-10d

I suggest you stop the Ambien and try ProSom instead.
    ProSom is also scheduled (CIV). But it can be used for up to 6 wks with no severe dependancy/ w/d's.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:49 AM   #5
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Ambien is too much like a benzo. I stay FAR AWAY from Ambien and benzos. That stuff is poison.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
    djchriscap
    (male)

djchriscap HB User

[QUOTE=I suggest you stop the Ambien and try ProSom instead.
    ProSom is also scheduled (CIV).

ProSom is in the Valium (Benz) family. That can't be to good for you either. Other people are different though. I know somebody who now takes Ambien as thier DOC during the day now too. I would take it for the shortest amount of time. Then again I wouldn't be here if I took what was given to me for a short amount of time.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Oh my!!!!! One question? Are you an addict or just asking about Ambien. I was the QUEEN of Ambien, (not proud of it) I would take 1-4 every night until they were all gone of course. They I would go through withdrawls.

Yes, I took it during the day too. Dont remember a darn thing while I was taking them. The next day people would say " dont you remember talking to me last night " I wish I was only abusing them, but I am am addict.

The 7 day it says on the Rx is for a very good reason... after you take it for longer, you will have a VERY HARD time falling asleep. Be careful!

I was just telling the people in AA about my ambien days and how it brought me to my knees. Im so glad those days are over.

Wishing you well,
    Sara

Old 02-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
    Sissypie
    Veteran
    (female)

Sissypie HB User

I wondered about Ambien too. My husband has been taking it every night for about a year, and the doctor keeps refilling it without any question.

Old 02-12-2005, 05:50 AM   #9
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Stupid doctors !!! Those prescription "sleep aids" and "anxiety meds" are to be taken SHORT TERM ONLY. Doctors just need to read the friggin warning labels.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
    girl75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girl75 HB User
    Red face Re: ambien-how long can u take it?

hey guys, i did not write this in my earlier message but i use to work for this doc who would take ambien during the day too. i knew at the time that it was not right but i did not know how to approach it. anyway he would do some crazy stuff like lay in the reception area and close his eyes or pretend he was electricuting himself and weird things like that. i talked to my pain mangt doc about it and she said that if you take 3 that it is known to have the same effects as the date rape drug. that really frieghtened me. i did stop working for him after 6 yrs and after i stopped working for him he ended up getting in trouble for the meds. he was also addicted to vicodin. scary huh!!! i still hope for the best for him and hope he has found the courage to overcome his illness. goes to show you have no idea who is on what. another scary thing that happened to me with ambien was during one night i got up and turned the oven on i guess because i was cold and when i woke up it was really warm. i have no memory of doing that so that freaked me out. i told my husband to try and keep an eye on me while taking that med but i soon stopped taking them. ambien was just to much for me to handle. hope this helps someone out there. (girl75)

Old 02-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User

yeah i know what all of yall are talking about. it will definitly casue some memory problems, and casue ya to do some stupid stuff. its kinda bad i know, i but i write notes to myself when im talking it so ill remember what's going on in the morning. fortunatly/unfortunatly it doesnt work very good for me anymore so i dont mess with it to much, i just cant believe that everything you read says to only take it for 7-10 days, yet the doctors give out 6 months supplys like candy. my problem isnt with ambien, its those darn percocets! although im BACK on the road to stopping them as well.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Unhappy Re: ambien-how long can u take it?

STUPID DOCTORS?? I don't think they're stupid at all. I think some of them know exactly what they're doing. They make it so you have to keep coming back to them. They have bills to pay, too.
    I wonder what it would be like to know you're creating addicts ? All doctors and most people realize that if you must take a pill to sleep there is a problem that should be addressed without drugs. I'm off sleeping pills now and am exhausted from lack of sleep So my choice seems to be: go back on the pills, sleep and feel great again but be dependent or stay off the dependency and feel too tired to get thru the day

Old 02-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #13
    toomany
    (female)

toomany HB User

Or if you can hang on and give it some time your sleep will most likely return. I know how miserable it is to not sleep night after night. I had horrible insomnia. Took benzos daily for 7-8 years this stretch. I used ambien too but honestly it didn't work very well for me...can't imagine why . When I finally got it through my head that for me, I would have to quit taking ALL drugs in order to stop whatever my current DOC was and that included benzos. I didn't want to let those go because I did have high anxiety and every time I tried quitting them panic would set in, anxiety worrsened, the insomnia I thought was unbearable. ANYWAY, my last benzo was 9/24/04 and I sleep very well now. Honestly it took me 3 months before I had a night where I would sleep though without waking up for a couple of hours and sometimes never got back to sleep. I walked around with sometimes only an hours worth of sleep. I wondered for a while if I had not done permanent damage to my body chemistry and would never be able to sleep without aid. It takes so long for your nervous system to re-regulate itself. Some people even have a more difficult time getting off of them. Hang in there Susan.

Patty

Old 02-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #14
    jmf
    (male)

jmf HB User

I can't really add much to what everyone has already posted. I loved ambien and took it for years. I loved the buzz and it kicked in less than ten minutes. I coudn't fall asleep without it. And Mike NY, like you, I used to take ambien to take the edge off of my coke crash and to knock me out so I could sleep and get to work the next day. That made me do even crazier stuff on ambien. I'm not very proud of the stories. That stuff got me into trouble because I abused it, but I suppose for the person taking it 7-10 days it might be effective. Otherwise, it's right up there with all the other addictive drugs. JMF

Old 06-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
    not-sleeping
    (male)

not-sleeping HB User

I'm looking to try some (7-10 days only, i promise) from one of these internet sources. I've seen different dosages. What is the "normal" dosage?

Closed Thread