It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Just found out I am pregnant w/ Hydro addiction.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
    liltulip

liltulip HB User
    Just found out I am pregnant w/ Hydro addiction.

Hi All!
    I am so grateful to have found this place and have been researching over old threads concerning pregnancy and opiate use but wanted to see if anyone has any advise or help for me. I feel like I am going crazy. I had an appt. next month to start the suboxene program but I just found out I am pregnant. I am about 5 weeks along. I started taking the hydrocodone for pain but my tolerance grew and then I started taking them for stress and a 3 a day habit of Norco 10/325 has skyrocketed into recently 28 a day! I know. That is hard to admit. After finding out about my pregnancy yesterday I have tapered down today to 24.5 and then plan to do a slow taper unless I should just go Cold Turkey but from what I have read suddenly stopping could cause the fetus to abort. Is this true? I am making an appt. with the OB for next week on my husbands day off so he can come. He doesn't believe me that the fetus can die from cold turkey so we are going to see what the Dr. says. Will the OB know how to deal with this or will I need to go to another Dr.? Also, I don't want to go the Methodone route because I hear that is harder to W/D from then hydrocodone. Has anyone heard of birth defects caused by hydrocodone and does anyone know anything concerning it's use during pregnancy. I sure do appreciate any help. I feel terrible and my husband treated me less than human concerning this last night. He is really scared that my problem will produce a defective baby. I can only give this up to God and do the right thing, but I don't know what that is! I feel terrible using now but am scared to do a r**** decrease in the amount I take for fear of losing the fetus. Atleast I found this community. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User
    Re: Just found out I am pregnant w/ Hydro addiction.

One of the girls in here should be along in a bit. Most folks post in the afternoon/night. Definitely get your doctor informed about your problem. I know very little about suboxone, or pregnancy during addiction. Please make sure that your gynecologist and doctor know of your problem. It is best to let the pros handle it. Good luck with everything. Try not to worry and stress too much.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
    MomOf4VA

MomOf4VA HB User

Please TELL YOUR OB/GYN! I just delivered a beautiful, healthy and drug addicted baby girl. I am a chronic pain patient and have been on oxycontin (180 mg a day) for 2 years. My PMD AND my OB/GYN were informed of my pregnancy and drug use and they talked to each other to give me the best care possible and to make arrangements for my daughters care when she was delivered. She stayed in the NICU being treated with Tincture of Opium for 2 and a half weeks. She is now home. You CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT go cold turkey off that much Hydro. YOU CAN LOSE THE BABY. I know this because I asked the very same questions to my doctors. Worse still? You may have to CONTINUE the drug throughout the pregnancy. For me, weaning off the drug was not an option. Once you get pregnant, your body is what it is with the drugs in your system and you cannot taper or stop. This is why I took the oxycontin throughout my pregnancy. I cannot stress to you how important it is to tell your doctor. Like I said, I just went through this, so if you have any specific questions, please post and I promise to answer. I know what you are going through. I will pray for you and that gorgeous creature you are growing now! Be strong! We are here for you!

Kim

Old 02-16-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
    carolkinch

carolkinch HB User

Dear LilT,
    First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy and all the good things yet to come. I think you're making the best first step by consulting with your OB.

You have all my sympathy regarding your addiction. I'm sure your husband's reaction is out of worry and concern for your developing fetus and not out of lack of concern for you. And, please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, just trying to give you his point of view; he's probably angry at you for being in this position and pregnant. It's hard for someone not haivng experienced addiction to understand how you got there.

I would encourage you to do what you can to get off the drugs as soon as possible. In addition to your OB's advice, contact some 30 day rehabilitation agencies/programs and ask them how they treat people who are addicted and pregnant. They must have experience with your situation. Ask you OB if they are willing to work with a place like that to help you get off drugs. I am not a Suboxone advocate. I know it's a lifesaver for so many people but, to me, (and from my own experience) it's still addicting and will still cross over to your baby. Again, I'm not saying this to scare you, but, this is the truth; my cousin works in the high-risk labor and delivery unit of a hospital. She cares for drug addicted moms every day, and the babies do suffer. I'm sorry to say that to you. If someone tells you that "they (the babies) don't really know," or "they don't really feel it," they are lying. These babies scream constantly because eventually, they have to endure withdrawl. No amount of rocking or holding consoles them.

It sounds like you started the Hydros for pain (like so many of us) and eventually upped the Norcos for the "feeling" (like so many of us!), self-medicating for your anxiety. The other hard truth is that detoxing is not easy. It might not be, but it can be very, very difficult. BUT, there is an "AFTER". I can personally attest to that! And the "AFTER" is so very worth the bad stuff you have to endure to get off drugs. And, honey, it's for the health of your baby. I know you want this precious child to start life with all the best chances, that's why you came here. God has a purpose for this baby's life, and yours. I pray you find the answers you need. Please keep us posted!
    C.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
    liltulip

liltulip HB User

Thank you everybody for your words of encouragement. Thank you also for your prayers. I need them! I am in process of making appt. with OB. New to this city so have to find one. Also, I will definitely be telling the Dr. everything so no worries with that everyone. I will hate it when he/she asks the amount I was taking. I am hoping that when I was up to 28 that the fetus was not getting anything as they say before 3-4 weeks, the fetus is self contained. I am currently trying to slowly taper down and I mean slowly. I wish I could go faster but I am scared. This whole pregnancy is scary b/c we already have a preteen, a two year old and an 11 month old. Yikes! How in the world are we going to make it?
    Peace and blessings!

Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
    julzb25

julzb25 HB User

you'll make it. everything works out. i am also 6 months pregnant with a previous xanax addiction. it all works out. good job telling your doctor thats the first step. i had to do the same thing. but, i had to do it so my doctor wouldn't try and prescribe me anything postpartum. well, keep up the good work and take care of that baby.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
    MomOf4VA

MomOf4VA HB User

You both will make it just fine. And if you are honest, the Drs will help you. Like I said before, I saw the Head of NICU at George Washington University because of his specialty in Maternal Medicine (he was also head of the methadone clinic in DC for 10 years seeing drug addicted pregnant women)and he told me that it was much more damaging and dangerous to go off CT or wean down on the oxy while pregnant. And Yes, the baby was born addicted, but she did NOT suffer. They weaned her off slowly with Tincture of Opium. Any time she started showing signs of w/d, they would go back to her previous (before decreasing) amount. Please keep us in the loop. I am pulling for ya.

xoxoxox
    Kim

Old 02-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

liltulip, You are definately on the right track, telling your OB is definately thee most important thing you can do for you and the baby right now. I am a medical professional and worked at a Trauma Center in the Labor & Delivery, Neonatal ICU, NB Nursery and Obstetrics units. All the high risk pregnancies and preterm newborns as well as full term newborns who were compromised in some way were all transferred to our facility from all the surrounding areas. I have seen many babies born addicted to many different types of drugs. Most common was Cocaine and Heroin. Many of these babies were sufferring and in full blown withdrawal because the mothers would never tell that they were on drugs during their pregnancies. Once you've seen one baby in wd you can pretty much tell with all the other babies and know that once they are showing the symptoms to get a tox screen ordered to figure out what they are withdrawing from so they can be treated immediately.
    IMO the best things you can do : 1. When you go to your OB appointment tell the dr. about your pill use. 2. try and wean down on your pills, WITHOUT going through withdrawal. You had mentioned your concern about going CT off the pills and losing your baby. Yes it can happen. But not from NOT having the pills in your system, but the effect it has on your body, WD's is very hard on the body and that is what can cause a spontaneous abortion. So as long as you can slowly cut back your dose and keep at a comfortable level where your body doesnt feel bad then you should be ok.
    I really see no reason at all why you cant have a wonderful healthy baby. There are MANY woman who suffer severe chronic pain and narcotic pain meds are a must for them to have a decent quality of life and they do indeed go on to have healthy babies as well while being able to stay on their meds. So i am sure that you and your little one will be fine. Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!

ValleyGurl

Old 02-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
    girl75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girl75 HB User
    Talking Re: Just found out I am pregnant w/ Hydro addiction.

congrats on your news. i just wanted to add my 2 cents and let you know that i suffer from chronic pain (fibromyalgia). i had been taking norco, soma, an an antidepressant at the time i found out i was pregnant. i was scared to. i came clean with the dr and she was so supportive. like everyone here has posted they see worse things. i tapperd off slowly and eventually was able to handle the pain with tylenol for the sake of the baby. i also took flexeril for muscle pain. i also have some friends that ended up having to take norco at a lower dose due to really bad pain. another takes vicodin and xanex with the docs approval. its only normal to worry but try not to beat yourself up. you are a good mom and things like this happen. you'll be okay. keep in touch with what happens after your appt. robin(girl75)

Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 PM   #10
    huskia2

huskia2 HB User

You will be just fine. Tell your doctor. Get a second opinion and relax. Do not be embarassed about how much you take. Many people have taken that amount. I , too, was able to take that much at one time. Now, I take suboxone. I worry if I got pregnant what I would do. Would I be able to give up my bup for a baby? I hope so. Luckily I don't think I have to worry about it cause I am single and just turned 42 on Wednesday.
    Tell the truth and do what the doctor says and you can do it. Whatever happens is meant to be.

Eileen

Old 02-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #11
    zchndrwsmmy
    (female)

zchndrwsmmy HB User

Hi Liltulip,

First off let me say CONGRATS on your upcoming gift from God!! You will be fine and so will your little baby. I admire you for having the strength to admit your addiction. Thats not an easy task by any means. You are definetely on the right track, and maybe thats the reason why this pregnancy happened now. I believe everything happens for a reason, sometimes we understand and sometimes it takes a while to figure out and sometimes we never know. It is obvious that you want whats best for your baby therefore you have my upmost respect. There are so many moms out there that are so far gone they just don't give a ****. I have so much to say to you that I may not get in all in this post before I have to go but your post really hits heart with me.

I am the mother of 7mos (as of 2/23) old precious, adorable, beautiful, etc, twin boys- Zachary Allyn (Zach) & Andrew Dylan (Drew). I have also been addicted to hydrocodone for the most part of the past five years. At my worst points I was taking about 150mg+ per day. This includes Dec.28, '03 when I took that HPT that showed 2 pink lines. I panicked the same way you are. My fiance was not supportive, he did not understand why it was not as easy a lying them down as he thought it should be, he made me feel like ****. I did taper down and weaned myself off of them. But I had a difficult pregnancy which is common with multiples fetus'. I was honest up front with my ObGyn about my addiction with the support of my mother with me at the visit. He was very understanding and supportive. Beginning in my 2nd trimester, I started having awful UTI's that were extremely painful and they would usually put me in preterm labor. Under the supervision of my mom, he prescribed hydros for me and this went on throughout my preg. When it was not UTI's, it was severe bronchitis, and the coughing was so bad it threatened the baby, and only Notus or Histex would control the cough. So you might say that I took some form of hydro throughout my preg. though I did not abuse the dosage. The urge was there because I felt so bad during the preg. but my mom had control of the bottle and she lives right next door to me so she would bring over my dose when it was time. Even taking them the way they were prescribed, I did feel like **** when I did not have them, but no horrible wd's. My babies were born unaddicted and very healthy even though they came at 36 wks. Most multiple preg are delivered early and 36 wks is considered good for twins. So, if you do need to continue to take it while you are pregnant, I strongly recommend handing them over to someone else for distribution. My doctor assured me that hydro was safe during pregancy if used correctly.

Quitting CT is not a good idea, you are right, this could promote a miscarriage, and I am sure you dr will confirm this to your husband at your appointment. My fiance wound up leaving me during my pregnancy because he did not believe the dr. Also because he shared this info with his medalling family and they thought they were smarter than the dr and told him the dr was full of ****. Fortunantly, we did finally work things out about a month before the babies were born, and we are getting married next month. For the record, I have not forgiven the members of his family that encouraged his leaving me and thought they knew more than the doctor. But thats a whole other post.

I began taking Subutex on January 17, '05 and it has been wonderful for me. The receptionist who works at the dr office where I go took Subutex while she was pregnant to detox. This worked good for her. She only took it for a few months and had been drug free for a couple mos before her very healthy full term baby was born. There is not alot of studies done on this drug in pregnancies, for understandable reasonings. Subutex is considered a Class C which means if the risk to the fetus of the mother not having the drug is greater than the risk of taking the drug, it is prescribed. This same issue was raised on this board a couple weeks ago with a lady who found out she was pregnant while taking Suboxone and her dr suggested switching to Subutex. Look back on those posts and you can probably gather some useful info.

Well, as I expected the babies are ready for some food, so as the bottles heat, I just want you to know that we are here for you and your husband if he would like to visit also. Support is soooo important. You are doing the right thing- keep cutting back as you can tolerate it, and being honest with your dr. You do have options, so educate yourself before you appt so you can ask questions. Some dr's may not be familiar with dealing with addiction, so if you feel the least bit uncomfortable with him/her, do not hesitate to find another one. A good doctor/patient relationship is important under any circumstance. Good luck and hang in there. Please stick around, not only to get support for yourself but you may help someone else in a similar situation. I look forward to talking with you more.

(Don't have time to proof this, so please forgive any mistakes )

~Anne

Old 02-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
    liltulip

liltulip HB User

Thanks again everyone for the support. Anne, I am so sorry you had to go through that with your in laws. My husband threatened to tell everyone and I went crazy. We have decided to keep this private matter private. It is bad enough that the family is going to give us trouble because we are having another baby! They will ask us, "Haven't you ever heard of birth controll?" I will just say, "It's a miracle baby!" - and leave it at that.
    My biggest concern is the amount I am at. You were at 150 mg and I am at 245 now. I WAS at 280. This went on for a little over a month. I had to WD because I ran out and then when I got some, it seemed I started using more. How far along were you, Anne, when you found out you were pregnant? How long did your taper take you? I am cutting back at .5 each day. I wonder if that is enough or should I reduce faster? I just don't want to go too fast and then get so uncomfortable that I lose ground by increasing my dosage. Cutting back from 280 to 245 was over a %10 decrease in one day. I have reasearched the net and can't find anything concerning birth defects and hydrocodone, only addiction for the newborn. I know these are all things I will ask my OB, but I want to get these questions out here, because the waiting is getting to me. I am going in next Wednesday.

I will keep posting through out this so I can hopefully be a help for someone else. I also want to thank everyone for not condemning me. I feel like I should just be able to wean down faster but I don't want to set unrealistic goals. It is just a matter of feeling halfway normal. I stopped feeling the buzz along time ago. My pain issues are pretty bearable now too. Thank goodness, I don't have excrutiating pain, only anxiety.
    Take care!

-liltulip

Old 02-18-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
    Toribelle

Toribelle HB User

Congrats Liltulip!
    My first pregnancy I stopped using right away but I was only taking about 4 or 5 7.5/750's a day. I didn't even know I was addicted then. I stopped - wondered why my legs hurts at night so much and had en uneventful pregnancy. Then they gave me lots of percocet to go home with - and then oh no my back hurt again (right...)

I was on hydro the entire second pregnancy with the supervision of a perinatologist. (They are specialized doctors that know everything there is to know about that baby inside and what is good and bad for it) I was in horrible pain during my pregnancy (REALLY - I did have a legit back injury at one time and this baby sat right on that bad disk) and I took it as prescribed. He had no worries. My baby did not withdrawl from the drug as the dosage was too small (I was only taking 7.5/750 3 times a day when I gave birth). There is a small association with hydro and the palates of baby rats (notice I did say rats) at huge dosages. I tell you this so you know you should tell your doctor everything and make sure you follow orders. Ask for a perinatologist if need be - they know so much more. (And therefore worry a lot less about lawsuits). I had an ultrasound every two weeks or so - I knew that baby was okay and it made everything so much easier than if I had been hiding it.

Best of luck and as soon as you have your doctor by your side you'll feel much better. Keep tapering!!

Tori

Old 02-19-2005, 07:08 AM   #14
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

The fetus CAN DIE from cold turkey. Especially that early of a fetus. I am 30 weeks preg. Although this time I did not have this to deal with. I was on methadone one time when I got pregnant. I did not know and was using a lot of other drugs. I lost the baby. That is when i found out. I was around a methadone clinic for about 3 years total during my using years. They will not detox you during pregnancy. They do not recommend you detox during pregnancy. The also have no research on sub with pregnancy seeing as it is a new drug and will probably recommend methadone. I know many people who were on methadone during pregnancy and their babies turned out just fine.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:17 AM   #15
    liltulip

liltulip HB User

Hi everyone!
    Well, things have gone from bad to worse. This may not even pertain to the addiction aspect but I needed to vent these feelings. See, we are struggling now financially and this new addition is going to really stretch us. My husband is freaking out and although he is a religious spiritual man, he is telling me to abort. I feel sick. I am trying to taper and this **** is making me just want to through the towel in. I am relying on faith pure and simple and that is not logical and that doesn't pay the bills as my husband says. I had a abortion years ago when I was young and I wish I hadn't. I would have put the baby up for adoption if I had it to do over again. I can't do that again knowing what I know now. That just isn't an option. I am just praying that my husband will pray and obtain some wisdom. I am praying for wisdom - for a sign. I don't think I have ever felt this scared before.

Closed Thread