It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• My Fathers story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
    JessicaS
    (female)

JessicaS HB User
    My Fathers story

My father was a addict threw out my life.He started with coine cougch surup.I rember even as a very small child we would go on "rides" to the Pharmicys all over and et the stuff. He was a smart man some would say brilliant. He went to collage at the age of 40 and was on the deans list.He has a white collar job. He worked in a glass factory develeoping formulas for the diffrent types of glass. Life it seemed was good.
    The time i noticed that my father had a real proublem with "hard core drugs"was when i was 18. I had gotten married and had a son.My husband at the time was doing drugs with out my knowlage. Shure i noticed money was missing but hed always give another excuse. My father came to me one day sat down and explained very nervously that he had seen my husband ( now x) at a drug dealers house. He had to then explain that he knew that it was a drug dealers cause his dealers house was next to it. I was floored. He also asked me not to tell my mother about this. I told him i didnt think i could keep it from her. He asked me to think about it. Well i did think about it all day and all night. I decided that i love my father with all my heart and we needed to do something about it.I told my Mother about it and he went into a rehab. I went threw hell. I felt that i betrayed my fathers trust. But i didnt want him to be a satistic. He did go threw another rehab when i was 13 for the codine addiction. This time the addiction was cocaine.He got out the rehab doing great.
    2 years later his life begain to spriral down again. His job was being taken by a man that was 20 years younger then him and that was seen painting the head bosses house. my father felt his life was out of control.He now got addicted to harion. We found out about it when we found a needle. He confessed that he was using and has been using for the last few months after he found out about his job replacement. We took him to oklahoma to my grandmother and grandfathers and admitted him into a rehab there. Again it seemed to work and for a year he was doing great again.
    My father then age 45 started to get migraine headaches realy bad ones. He blacked out in the car and hit a ambulance. The ambulance driver seen him black out. He was taken to the hospital they did a drug screan nothing was in his system. He seen a neroligist who prescribed staidol. This dr knew my father was a recovering drug addict he knew that staidal was a very addicting drug. Why he prescribed it i have no ideal. Insted of finding the proublem it was easyier to medicate the headaches. My father needless to say got addicted to the stuff taking it when he wasnt supose to taking to much at one time.... The like....He also started using herion again.
    The scareist day in our lifes was when my fathers lab came bolting down the stairs and litterly draged my brother upstairs to the bathroom. Thats where my brother found my father lying on the floor dead. My brother started cpr and was screaming out the window twards there naibors house to call 911. My mom and dads naibor herd ,my mother came running ambulance was there within 3 minutes. My brother was able to stablize him long enough for the parametics to get there. Then they lost him again. They revived him again. So they got him into a ambulance and started twards the hospital. My mother folowed in the car with my brother. The ambulance had to pull over twice on the way there to revive him. They gave him a med that is used to revive herion overdoses it seemed to work. They went to the local hospital to get him stablized for transport to another hospital.At the hospital they transfered him to thats where we learnt that my father had a stroke and a heart attack. We also found out the reason for the headaches. Bacterial Menigitis. My father went with out oxigen to the brain for 5 minutes. He had to relern to walk talk. He did not rember anyone anythng. This was hard cause my father and i was always close. He was not the same as he was before no longer the brillint man. My father as i knew him died that day.He spent a month in the hospital and about 2 months in a rehab to learn how to do the most basic things. The day he came home he looked at my mother and said " you know im not right" my mom smiled and just said...... "Hun you've never been right but i have loved you anyway."

My father that i new like i said before did die that day. now in his place is a man that i love ,he is a happy man simple things make him happy. Maybe hes not the same as he was maybe he cant rember what he ate yesterday but he'll beat any of those tv iq test they have. Its the easy things in life that seem the most diffacult for him. I got him a computer to help with the hands eye cordination now you'll see him online just typing a way with a big smile on his face. I love my father with all my heart. It is scarier to me that we could of lost him totaly that day. My Father does not rember beig addicted to anything nor does he rember anything in that time period.

well this is my dads story. I hope some of you can get something out of it.

Thanks Jessica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User
    Re: My Fathers story

Whew !!! Thanks Jessica. What happened to him could've happened to anyone here. Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
    Best Friend
    Veteran

Best Friend HB User

Jessica, thank you for taking the time to share your incredible story with us. I have to go offline now and don't have the time at the moment to respond the way I would like to....but please know that I (and I'm sure all of us who read your post) are so touched by your father and you and all you've been through. Please tell him that lots of us will have him in our hearts. Perhaps he would like to look in on the Boards from time to time. (I'm sure you will have more responses soon. There are some wonderful people, here.)

Enjoy your father, Jessica! Dads are SO special.
    TwinAlice

Old 03-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User

A very sweet story from a very sweet daughter.

Love him while you have him....I know you are.
    SS

Old 03-17-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
    ALMOST 4 YEARS
    (female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

HI JESSICA, SOMETIMES THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON MAYBE GOD THOUGHT THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO STOP HIM FROM USING DRUGS. EVEN THOUGH U SAID THAT DAY UR DAD DIED ... U STILL HAVE HIM AND HE'S HAPPY AND DRUG FREE... WHEN I READ WHAT UR MOTHER SAID " HUN YOU'VE NEVER BEEN RIGHT BUT I HAVE LOVED YOU ANYWAY" REALLY HIT HOME REMINDS ME OF WHAT I WOULD SAY TO MY HUSBAND... YOU ARE A VERY SPECIAL DAUGHTER AND BELEIVE ME YOUR DAD KNOWS THAT... TAKE CARE OF YOUR DAD AND YOURSELF... KIM

Old 03-17-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
    DCV
    Veteran
    (male)

DCV HB User

Anyone need anymore incentive to quit then that heart wrenching story?

Old 03-17-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
    JessicaS
    (female)

JessicaS HB User

My father has always been the guy to give his shirt off his back and i rember a couple times of him doing excatly that.Therefore i knew that he'd want his story told. I called my mom and dad last night i told them about my post. My dad thought it was a wonderfull ideal and maybe just maybe his story could help others. I would like to belive this is true.
    My mother was worried that people would say how could he do this to his family. Do not get me wrong he was a funtinal addict. He would be able to go to work do all the regular stuff i guess anyone would do., But he was a user.I have always loved my father and ya we had some rough patches threwout life but he was still ours we loved him and would do anything to help him not use anymore.

Someday i will tell you all my story the story of a child growing up with this.

Thank you for reading My fathers Story and i hope it can help you in some way maybe as this is what can happen or he never gave up when he fell he got right back up and dusted himself back off and went threw rehab again. There is no perfect way to get clean its hard its also hard to watch your love one go threw the shakes the headaches and the withdralls. But that is love when you loves someone you want them well.

Thanks JessicaS

Old 03-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
    Best Friend
    Veteran

Best Friend HB User

[QUOTE. I called my mom and dad last night i told them about my post. My dad thought it was a wonderfull ideal and maybe just maybe his story could help others. I would like to belive this is true.
    My mother was worried that people would say how could he do this to his family. :[/QUOTE]

Please tell your mother that what I (and I suspect most of us) got from your story is how much LOVE and understanding and wisdom there is in your family. THAT is the message I came away with from your father's story.
    TwinAlice

Old 03-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #9
    DCV
    Veteran
    (male)

DCV HB User

DITTO!!!! Hey Jessica, if I could reach through this computer I'd give you a big burley bear hug! I don't even know you and yet, I'm proud of you. You are mature beyond your years darlin. I know your father must have been so very proud of you and I'm sure he just worshipped you, as I do my children. I'm very sorry that drugs took your father before his time. I'll bet he'd be glad to know that you are telling his story in an effort to prevent others from falling into the same trap and perhaps to help some who have already fallen into that trap, to break free. As for me? I will always remember your story, and the courage you have to tell it. I will use your fathers sad demise as an incentive to stay on the road to sobriety, and I will use your example of a childs unconditional love and wish for her father to break free as inspiration.

"Big Bear Hug"

Old 03-18-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
    All Star Mom
    (female)

All Star Mom HB User

Hi there!! I am new to the board here, but I have been reading it for quite a few motnhs now, and it is your story that made me finally get s sign on name. I wanted to tell you that your story touched me big time! I am so sorry that you had to go through all that. Sometimes I feel like I will in that position one day. I am very happily married with a 9 year old son (who is the greatest). I have been on and off pain meds for about 2 years now, since I have been diagnosed with CVID. And I wonder if my life will ever be nornmal again. I feel like the viscious cycle will never end and its the only way I can get by. For about a year now, my family has not have had to listen to me complaining about my pain half as much as they used to. And I have been able to attend lots of functions I used to have to pass on. So for me these meds help me with everyday life. But I know that sooner or later I will have to maybe face getting off and I know thats not going to be easy. I just hope that I have the same supprt you gave, being patient and understading is the main thing that can help get me through a rough time. I am gonna stop rambling, and let you know that I am here for you and commend you on your life story. YOU TOUCHED MY HEART! Therefore I know your post will do wonders for others. Thanks for coming to this board with your story.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
    JessicaS
    (female)

JessicaS HB User

I want to thank everyone for there kind words. I realy hope his story can help people. I am 28 now i have 3 wonderfull children my father adores them. There is not a day that goes by that i dont tell my dad that i love him. Last year we almost lost him again from a heart attack but luckly the drs got to him in time and did a tripple bi-pass. He is healthy and happy. I will be having surgery soon ( have a cyst ) my father has demanded he be there. He told me "when i woke up you were there holding my hand and i didnt even know who you were.But i felt comfort and love" he has told me that no matter what he will be there holding my hand so i can feel the same as he did when he needed it the most. Alot of my post make me cry its not becouse of the pain its becouse im so blessed to have a second chance with my daddy.

JessicaS

Old 03-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #12
    Poo2
    (female)

Poo2 HB User

Wow!! I went throught the same kind of situation as you did in. My story took place in 1990. My father however could not be revived from his overdose, he passed away. He was only 42 yrs old. Even though it's been almost 15 yrs ago, there is not a day that I don't think about him.

He was my best friend and I was his "daddy's little girl." I miss him with every ounce of my being.

Please cherish the time you have with him now even though he's a different person. I just wish that my father was found in time for him to survive.

How long ago was this? I think that he had God there with him when this happened. And it truly is a blessing in diguise that he doesn't remember that he was an addict or any part of that time in his life.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #13
    marich101

marich101 HB User

....there but by the Grace of God..........

Very touching story Jess, and a story that I'm sure touches alot of lives.............Thanks for sharing
    Marilyn

Old 03-19-2005, 05:12 AM   #14
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Jessica-
    Both your storys-really touched my heart..you are a wonderful writer..
    God bless you..and your courageous father..and family.
    Very inspiring-and heartfelt...
    "all we need is love"..
    ggrl

Old 03-19-2005, 06:17 AM   #15
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

That was a very good story. I believe everything happens for a reason. And honestly if I were still addicted and using I would not mind a bit if that happened to me just so I could be free of that demon. That life is not an enjoyable one and a pure smile and the simple things are so pure and true not on drugs. It is freedom!!!!!

Closed Thread