It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• methadone (i know, probably asked 1000 times)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
    drewsk
    (male)

drewsk HB User
    methadone (i know, probably asked 1000 times)

i keep doing H

i got sick from it once or twice, but not usually.

this isn't the first time i have posted on here about this...

im doing it 4-5 times a week

i've been using opiates for years (not really regularly, but enough)

found H like 4 months ago. done it i don't know how many times. craving more. not feeling sick really just wanting more.

i don't have time for a thousand group sessions and all that.

i talked to a doctor at a clinic and he seems to think i should get on methadone. i've also heard some bad things about methadone.

i have an appointment at the clinic on friday. they'll most likely be putting me on 30mg a day. its also quite expensive.

should i get on methadone? or should i cancel the appointment? i don't even think i can afford it anyway.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
    MomOf4VA

MomOf4VA HB User
    Lightbulb Re: methadone (i know, probably asked 1000 times)

If you are "not feeling sick" you just need to quit. Cold turkey. You have no idea what hell is until you get totally addicted to an opiate and then NEED to use to NOT feel sick. The wd's from opiates are a true living hell. I could sit here and talk until I am blue in the face (in the fingers? and you probably will not listen until you go through it first. But, believe me, I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I am not kidding. Maybe some others will chime in aboub the wd's, but I have 4 kids and they are calling. Before I go...please please please please please, for you own sake...QUIT before you need the drug to even make you feel like a half way normal person. You eventually get to the point where there IS NO "high". You just have to use to feel like you can function. Don't be that person. Don't become an addict. Right now, you have a choice. For your life and happiness sake, make the right one.

Sending much strenght your way....
    ~Kim

Old 04-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User
    Re: methadone (i know, probably asked 1000 times)

drew, If you can stop now.....then DO IT !!!!!! If you have already talked to the doctor and was truthful, and he felt that you were a candidate for the methadone and of course, the most important thing......IF YOU WANT TO QUIT.......then i say go to the appointment on Friday and get the help you need.

You said that it will be expensive to be on the methadone................and you cant afford it................. i have 2 questions for you to ask yourself......

1. how much is your life worth?

2. you say you are on H..... well that habit CANT be cheap.....Compare the cost of the H.......(if you keep using, $, in debt, have nothing, possibly the loss of friends and family, maybe to jail, maybe the hospital with a big bill to boot, or even worse.....loss of your life.) and what it is costing you overall right now or if your habit increases how much the cost will increase compared to what it will cost you to get clean on the Methadone.

Really think about it, if you want out.....get out now while you have the chance and can get on the methadone. I live in a really rural area and around here there is no such thing as Methadone Clinics, Sub doctors are few and far between and most of them are already full, Addictionologists......i dont even know where the closest one of those type of dr's are, I know that if i would have had the opportunity to go to a sub dr or a meth clinic i would have gone long ago. You are lucky that you have this opportunity......please, save your life and do this. . . . . . . . . .

Valley

Old 04-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
    drewsk
    (male)

drewsk HB User

but is it necessary? i've heard that methadone is pretty hard to get off once you're on it. i don't want to just replace one drug with another. i just have to have the willpower to say enough is enough. having to fall back on another drug when i really have no physical withdrawals, makes no sense to me. but the doctor keeps calling me back saying i should get on it.

it's been 3 days now since ive used any drug. i'm not craving H like i was yesterday. maybe this is headed in the right direction.

Last edited by drewsk; 04-07-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
    blurayne

blurayne HB User

I was on H for a long time as well, to the point where I was getting sick if I didn't have it. I used high doses every day! Well we all know even the biggest of habits on H, the physical WD sucks but only lasts a week. I went on a methadone clinic for a while, I was on methadone maitnence and then I got sick of having to go everyday, on christmas telling my kids to wait to open their presents til mom gets home from the methadone clinic, then if your car breaks down and you can't make it you are screwed. I will tell you first hand because I have done this!!! The methadone WD is 1000 times worse than the H WD's. It seeps into your bones and it takes 6 months to detox from methadone!! I couldn't sleep for 6 months and ended up having to take some kind of opiate to get off of methadone because it is the mother of all WD's!! I would rather kick 10 hard core H habits than methadone!! I felt so so so sick I wanted to die! If a serial killer or ax murderer were walking down the street I would have begged them to take me. I'm just telling you first hand before you jump on it and even if you taper very very slow, it still sucks bad!! If you were going into a detox where they were giving you methadone only for a week or so that is one thing, but don't go to the clinic!! I promice you that you will regret it. Can you go into a detox place where they give you methadone only for a week?? or if your doctor would prescribe you just enough for a week and go to meetings to help the mental part of your addiction. Sorry to sound so negative but I have done it and it was the biggest mistake of my life!! If you are not using everyday ask your doc for some clonidine and just detox at home with that, it will help, some detox places use that and it's not addictive. For the amount you are taking, no way should you jump on any kind of methadone, or even sub I hear is pretty bad. think about it. Look up on the computer for "methadone withdrawel symptoms forum" and you can read others experiences just like mine. please think hard about this, I just had to share my own experience (and I know the same for many many others) before you do anything. The doctor may tell you it won't be bad and you taper slow, but they have no idea. You need to here it from people who have gone through it. I'm rambling but just don't want you to make this mistake. Hope you are well, KIM

Old 04-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
    drewsk
    (male)

drewsk HB User

thank you for the reply. i'm not going on methadone. seemed like they just wanted to make another sale. sad.

anyway i've been off the junk for a week. i think it's all mental for me. i kinda feel the way you do, about methadone being a drastic method, and a mistake for someone like me who doesn't really use regularly. i just need to go to some NA meetings or something because i'm not having withdrawals. i just need more reason not to do it again because honestly, mental withdrawal is so temporary it doesn't even bother me now.

Last edited by drewsk; 04-10-2005 at 12:39 PM.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

my suggestion is absolutely do not get on methadone with no real habit and just because you know you want to get high. you are not there yet dude! if you continue to do H and find you have a bad habit down the road then it might be a possibility. if you get on it now you will wind up with what you might or might not have from H if you continue. except you will basically just go in and sign up for it and skip the bs. some people go right for the goal and skip the inbetween. no offense, but it sounds to me like it got you. it is up to you. but if you are like many of us you are on a long road to what seems like hell. it took me years to finally get off it for good. i have now been clean for three years. i did all of it, the counseling, the methadone, the tapering , the meeting thing, treatment centers, moving somewhere else, ect.... when it was all said and done i had lost houses, cars, dropped out of college a few times, lost friends, over dosed 6 times, lost jobs, lost relationships, my family acted like they did not know me and all i was left with way the me that barely even existed and was a mess. it all started out with just a little harmless partying that i thought as long as i did not do it a lot i would be fine and would not become a junkie. i wound up in jail a few time towards the end of it all, which was 6 years later. guess what made me finally quit???? i was really sick of it and finally was disgusted by myself to no end. no counseling but there was a whole lot of changing to do and my last little jail stay helped me start out on the right path. i do not go to meetings , i do not avoid the world, and i have a great life and i am at peace. i was lucky to make it out alive. methadone is best form of H or opiates i ever had. if you do not have a habit now and are not getting sick , then if you get on methadone, with as strong as any little amount of it is, you will have one real quick.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
    mydogsobe
    Inactive
    (male)

mydogsobe HB User

DONT get on Methadone unless you absolutly have to.
    I ran out of my Meth (only 40mg daily) A week early last month even though I was taking 80mg hydrocodone (lortabs/vics) to try and counter the withdrawls and I suffered the worse sickness, soreness and anxiety moods/swings you can imagine.
    Now I'm stuck on these with my last prescription that I have to ween myself off of and all I can think of is those withdrawls coming.
    Man, If I could have it all to do over I would never ever take Methadone.

Thats my 1 1/2 cents

Old 04-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
    karma25
    (female)

karma25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewsk
    but is it necessary? i've heard that methadone is pretty hard to get off once you're on it. i don't want to just replace one drug with another. i just have to have the willpower to say enough is enough. having to fall back on another drug when i really have no physical withdrawals, makes no sense to me. but the doctor keeps calling me back saying i should get on it.

it's been 3 days now since ive used any drug. i'm not craving H like i was yesterday. maybe this is headed in the right direction.
    please be careful with methadone. you're right. it is hard to get off of methadone. if you can do it with out methadone, then please do. if you aren't getting sick yet, please stop now. that won't last much longer and by the time you do start getting sick it will be 100 times harder. i've done it both ways and i promise you if i had to go back and do it again i would have toughed it out. methadone was just another addiction for me and it took over my life. yes it took away the madness of needing a fix everyday but there was so much more to it. they just kept increasing my dose because i just kept paying. don't get me wrong, i'm not badmouthing methadone. i think it serves it's purpose for a lot of people and it helped me for a time; however if you can do it without it then i really do think that is the way to go. whatever you decide though, go with it. don't try to do both. it'll kill you.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
    babyboomer6
    (female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User

Blurayne is soooo right about the methadone. I have been on it for 4 yrs. for chronic pain. Ran out early once, and never had anything like that in my life. It was horrible--putting it mildly. In fact--I am considering getting off the methadone because I had back surgery,and I want to see if I can tolerate the pain now.
    But I may go to Rapid Detox. Anyone gone through that? Just don't know if I could even get off --even tapering slow.
    Good Luck
    sunshineno2

Old 08-25-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

I would agree with the rest.Methadone should only be used after you've exhausted every other avenue.If I were you I would try cold turkey with immodium ad, advil or motrin,gatorade,tylenol pm or any OTC sleep med.Get lots of low impact exercise even going for a couple walks a day.Also eat as well as you can this all helps in getting your endorphin production.If after a couple months you still feel depressed and weak then try an anti-depressant.Alot of recovering addicts have success with welbutrin.Good luck to you.....Dave

Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #12
    dream life
    (female)

dream life HB User

drewsk,

I am glad to hear you are able to do this on your own & didn't decide to get on the Methadone. It sounds to me like this was the better way to go for you, anyway.

Good luck with your recovery!

~DL

Closed Thread