It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• need advice on withdrawl from percocet!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
    cptpooface
    (male)

cptpooface HB User
    need advice on withdrawl from percocet!!!

I have had depression for over five years. My father has a condition that requires him to take percocet daily for the last fifteen years. During the first year of my depression I took some of his percocet for a sports injury. He didn't know I was taking them and I didn't know the side effects. Long story short I got addicted and after a year or more I finally got off them cold turkey. This last two weeks I went on a cruise with my family and got a real bad sunburn, I went to the doctor and was told I was having an allergic reaction to the sun and that it was a second degree burn on my back, he prescribed some drugs for me but what I didn't know was that they were almost the exact same thing as percocet. So I took them for two weeks and when I ran out of them I found that my depression was ten times worse than usual. I am sure this is withdrawal from the pain meds I took for two weeks, I was just wondering what the most effective way to get through the addiction withdrawal, I really need help because the depression is getting so bad that I resorted to an old habit of cutting myself. This is the worst my depression has been in years and I need to know what to do, should I taper off the drug or go cold turkey, because I was only on them for two weeks I don't know what to expect, like how long the withdrawal symptoms will last, or how serious they will get. Should I talk to a doctor about it or just try to tough it out, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 04:58 AM   #2
    PAhelp
    (male)

PAhelp HB User
    Re: need advice on withdrawl from percocet!!!

I would curious to know what kind of pain meds a Doctor would prescribe for
    a sunbrun that are similar to an oxycodone med. You really need to seek the
    help of a doctor to address the depression and especially cutting yourself.
    Something I did to help with my depression is to try and read books written
    by people who beat it without meds. Try to hang out with positive people and
    try to do things that your good at and congratulate yourself when you've
    done something either rightm or even partially right. And even if you failed at
    a task, don't be down on yourself, but tell yourself positive things about how
    next time you'll get it right. There are also many mild prescriptions for
    anxiety that your doctor can prescribe you to help you get your mind off of
    whatever is bothering you. Myself, I take something called Clonezapam in small
    doses when I need it. Most of all just hang in there and be alert to the good
    things in your life(and think to yourself that there aren't) You can always
    find positive things, you might just have to look a little harder. Good Luck, and
    keep us up to date.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
    cptpooface
    (male)

cptpooface HB User

The drug the doctor prescribed was xodol aka vicodin. Thanks for the support, the problem is that I can usually keep my depression in check and most of the time I'm fine but ever since I went off the narcotic pain killers I have been terrible, I just want to know the easiest way to get that out of my system, and keep the withdrawals down because as soon as it does my depression will be a lot easier to deal with.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

you need to definatly talk to a shrink about the cutting thing and tough the rest of it out. there has to be a issue that makes you resort to cutting. i would say that you need some counseling to get to the bottom of that issue and resolve it.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
    cptpooface
    (male)

cptpooface HB User

I am going to counselling for depression so I know I can get some help there. When you say I just need to tough it out do you mean just go cold turkey on the narcotic pain killlers, no tapering? And if so do you have any suggestions on how to make the withdrawal symptoms easier to deal with. You people can't imagine the importance and gratitude your responses have. I cannot explain to anyone the depths of despair and depression an episode like this brings on, it seems every minute of every day is torture and there seems to be no way out, even though I know things will get better the depression just doesn't allow me to believe that and so each day is terrible. Your compassion and advice is greatly appreciated and I thank everyone who has helped out.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

I'm glad to hear you are in counceling for your depression. Sounds like you may be a candidate for antidepressant medication which is NOT addicting. Have you discussed this "narcotic induced depression" with your counceler? You see opiates - vicodin, percocet, etc. are virtually depressants. It is not unusual for people withdrawing from them to experience depression, sometimes quite severe. I myself self medicated myself for years and years with opiates and other substances to reduce my depression and feelings of self worth. Unfortunately it only returns two fold, especially when I was in withdrawal. It is a vicious cycle. With the complication of self cutting, it sounds like you would best be served by seeking professional help for your depression and withdrawal symptoms. You might need some meds to ease your emotional withdrawal and/or antidepressant meds, concurrently.
    I myself suffer from clinical lifelong depression and when I was using/withdrawing (they go hand in hand), my depression was sometimes suicidal. Nothing to fool around with.
    Please seek professional/Medical help ASAP and share what you are experiencing with them.
    Two weeks is not a huge amt of time to have to taper, but the circumstances you mention makes it more dangerous for you.
    Best of luck, sweetie!
    El

Old 04-10-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
    PAhelp
    (male)

PAhelp HB User

You send in your first post that you ran out of the meds the doctor prscribed you. If so, than how long has it been since you've taken anything. Whatever you do, don't cheat and start taking your dad's perc's again. They are much
    harder to quit. Cold turkey is the best way to go if you can handle it and have some support, maybe from a friend. Tapering would probably be much harder
    since you have meds in your house. Either way, you be yourself again. You are
    one of maybe thousands or hundreds of thousands that will quit this bothersome
    habit as I like to call it. Just take care of yourself and built your confidence back
    up. And for God's sake's, stop cutting yourself. It doesn't accomplish anything.
    Try biting your nails instead, lol.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
    cptpooface
    (male)

cptpooface HB User

Last time I took any of the vicodan was friday and I haven't taken any narcotic since then so its been two days. I can't believe its only been two days it feels like its been two months. Me and my parents talk about this kind of thing all the time, they support me and know of past addictions and other med history. My dad is great and he just makes sure that his percocet are somewhere where I can't get them, as he knows it would be much more difficult for me if I knew where I could get some narcotics while dealing with depression so I won't be using any of his percs. It looks like I am just going to have to go cold turkey and deal with it, anyone know a time frame for when I can expect to see an end to withdrawal symptoms after ten to twelve days of use. Ellnyc, you mentioned you have had life long depression, and I was wondering if you ever got over it or if it is still with you. I was diagnosed with depression five years ago and my doctor now tells me I have tried every medicinal method that could possibly help and nothing seems to help. I know exactly what you mean when you say your depression became suicidal, I have been there too. Four and a half years ago I had to give up a scholarship in division 1 ncaa Track and Field. I was able to choose any program in the nation and when I finally left home and went to school I just couldn't handle it and had to come home. Ever since then I have been trying everything to get over depression but it just seems like nothing works, I have had ECT, I have tried many counselours and medications and combinations of medication and nothing seems to help. Since you mentioned you had life long depression I was just wondering what you do to manage your depression. I'm sorry if this is more appropriate for the depression forum I just thought I would ask ellnyc as their post mentioned it.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

cptpooface, Hi sweetie, i dont know if i will be of much help to you but i wanted to talk to you anyway. I wanted to know if you have tried the new anti-depressant that is out on the market now, Cymbalta? It is a SNRI instead of a SSRI.

You see, i have always been a very energetic, up-beat, happy go lucky kind of girl my whole life. I had 4 children and then unexpectedly got pregnant with my 5th. As it turned out he is SEVERELY handicapped. (he has severe brain damage) When he was first born up until a few years ago (he is 8 1/2 now) he was sick and in and out of the hospital alot! I was his primary care giver and so i was pretty much stuck at home 24/7 and sometimes didnt leave the house for weeks at a time. Well, needless to say, depression kind of crept up on me. Anyways, i took alot of different AD that just didnt work and the last one i was on long term was Celexa/Lexapro. I really didnt feel any different while taking it but i just thought "well, i guess i am just supposed to feel this way". Then last August my best friend comitted suicide and i am now raising her two children as well as my 5 plus another nephew. 8 kids.....wow!!!! It wouldnt have been so bad but my friends youngest child (he was 4 at the time, he just turned 5 2 weeks ago) has severe behavior issues. I once again am "stuck" because i get no breaks from this child, as his behavior is sooooooooo outragious and bad that no one will watch him. Anyways, in December it was really getting to me. I fell into a very deep depression, so deep that i scared myself with my thoughts. I went to the doctors and i told him i needed something and that is when he put me on the Cymbalta 60mgs. It was a true life saver for me. I actually felt a difference after only taking it for 4 days!!!!!!!!

I know that one medication may work for one person and not another, but if you have not tried this one i would highly recommend it. After all, what could it hurt to try it?????? I really wanted to share this with you. Just know that you are sooooooo not alone. There are so many of us out here that suffer just the same as you do. So please go to the dr. and get help. You deserve to feel better!!!!

Love, ValleyGurl

Old 04-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
    cptpooface
    (male)

cptpooface HB User

I haven't tried that yet, but I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday and I'm going to talk to him about all my meds. He also has me on xanax for social anxiety (I have it and it is severe) and I was reading that benzodiazepines are one of the most addictive drugs on the market, so I have a whole lot of stuff to talk to him about, I think he has had me on mainly SSRI, wellbutrin, celexa, paxil and all those other ones. Is it tough to change from an SSRI to an SNRI? In september I heard of a new drug, Remeron, and everyone was saying it worked really well on drug resistent depression, I tried it and had a few problems. I am still trying to pursue an athletic career and as such I try to keep my body weight constant. Remeron increased my appetite and helped me gain fifteen pounds in three weeks. My doctor had neglected to tell me of this unfortunate side effect, I still stayed on it because you have to try them for four to six weeks to get the full effect, and I got nothing but fat. It just seems every new drug I try, and every new therapy I try, nothing works. Today is Sunday and I usually go to church with my family on sundays, but the last five years I usually just go for a half hour or so and then leave. Throughout the five years if I was feeling better I would stay longer or if I was feeling bad I would leave early or not go at all. Today I feel so bad I'm not going at all, and it just hit me that I'm right back where I started, no better off. I am also going to have an extra hard time getting out of this funk because spring and summer are coming. I hate summer and spring. Finals week is next week and after that most students get a job, I can't hold down even a part time job its tough just to go to three classes a day. So I sit at home feeling just terrible for four months. I was also first diagnosed with depression in the summer and had some terrible experiences that first summer so it just brings back all those memories. This is why I was so interested in ellnyc saying he/she (sorry ellnyc, never specified sex) had lifelong depression because its been half a decade and I am right back where I started and there is no way I can make through the next half decade the same way. I can't tell you how much your situation amazes me, I could never deal with even the smallest part of what you go through, I sincerely hope that everything with your family works out well, I fully believe family is the basis of society and the most important thing in the world, and what you do to keep your family together and adopt others into your family is the most admirable thing imaginable.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi There, Just to answer your question based on my experience going from an SSRI (celexa-i had been on that for about 2 years) to an SNRI (cymbalta). I always would take the celexa at night and i had taken my last dose on a Wednesday night, then went to the dr. on Thursday afternoon, he wrote me the script for the cymbalta and i went to fill it and then that night instead of taking the celexa i just started taking the cymbalta and have been on it ever since. I had no ill side effects whatsoever. I know that the cymbalta comes in 30mg and 60mg doses. I had been on the celexa 20mg and then started out on the cymbalta 60mg.

My dr told me that he never starts his patients out on the cymbalta 30mgs because he views that dosage as "useless". He said that with all the studies he has read and with his experience prescribing it to his patients that he has had no luck with the 30mgs and has never seen a difference with any of his patients on the 30mg dosage. That is why he always uses the 60mgs. I have seen on the depression board where some doctors have prescribed over 60mgs of the cymbalta and i asked my doctor about upping my dosage and he said absolutely not. He said that there has been no studies done on patients with doses higher than 60mgs so he wont even consider it.

So as i had said before, i had no side effects what so ever when i changed meds and i truely believe that the cymbalta saved my life. I sure hope you find a med that works for you and makes you feel better. You seem so young and it is a shame that you have to feel so bad. I will be thinking of you!

Valley

P.S. ellnyc is a woman!

Old 04-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #12
    PAhelp
    (male)

PAhelp HB User

Just like ellnyc, I too have been battling depression for a long time, Since 1992.
    My doctor also tried many different scripts with me in many different doses, seemed like every one had a different side effect, most of the times it was tremors. We came to a conclusion that benzio's were the best for my type
    of depression. I take anywhere from 1 - 2 mg. of Clonezepam as needed, and
    this has helped me get thru the times when my mind seems to be going places
    that I can't control. Kind of like a TV flipping thru channels. You may require
    a medication for the rest of your life. You just have to find the right one. If you
    had a scholarship to track, you must have very good talent. Try to grow on the
    things you do right. Vally's right, your young, there's going to be alot a great
    life experiences to come (both good and bad) There's a really good book called
    "Don't sweat the small stuff" that I read every couple of months. It makes
    you really look at things a different way. I know your mind is caught up on getting over this addiction. It will pass, as you're already two days without
    vike's, try two more and see how you feel. We'll be here to help.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:01 AM   #13
    DCV
    Veteran
    (male)

DCV HB User

If you suffer from depression normally, than withdrawing the opiates will surely increase the depression short term. You just have to understand that and cope as best you can, it will get better.....

Closed Thread