It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Whats the pupose of Methadone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
    mydogsobe
    Inactive
    (male)

mydogsobe HB User
    Whats the pupose of Methadone

I dont get it or maybe I do. They say Methadone withdrawls are a 100 times worse than that of Heroin, but dont they give you meth to get off Herion? Why?
    It must be the Pharmcutical companies at their best or our worse which ever side you are on. Must be BIG TIME money on getting us hooked on the most addecting drug there is.
    Let me see if I got this straight. Give someone a more addicting drug than the drug their on and are trying to kick. Wow I am confused.

Last edited by mydogsobe; 04-10-2005 at 08:43 PM. Reason: not finished

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
    DallasAli
    (female)

DallasAli HB User
    Re: Whats the pupose of Methadone

Hi,

Welcome to the boards...the purpose of methadone, for me anyway, is to get off the opiates I was addicted to (pain pills) and give me enough "normal" time to gather some coping tools, learn as much information as possible, find meetings and a counselor, and then with all of the support systems in place, to eventually taper vveerrryyy slloowwwllyy off the methadone. Yes, I too have heard one horror story for every ten successful weaning or tapering off methadone stories. It's all in how you do it from what I've learned. Slow and easy wins the race; fast and in a hurry sets you up for horrific withdrawals. When I committed to the methadone maintenance treatment, I went in knowing that due to the length of my opiate abuse (over 20 years) combined with my age and some of the very real pain and emotional issues that helped get me to the point of addiction in the first place, I was in this program for the long haul. For me, to face 2-3 years of methadone maintenance is a welcome break and intervention into the messed up world I had created for myself by abusing pain pills. The pros and cons for me are obvious: death by suicide or 20 more years of pill abuse or take the chance at normalizing with methadone and learn some things so I can better deal with my addiction when it's time to get off of it...if ever. The money - $500/mth on pills vs. $180/mth for methadone; employment - unemployed or sporadically employed while in full blow addiction vs. having obtained the best paying job of my life only 5 weeks ago; relationships - in total isolation with only myself and pills for company vs. being able to interact on a social level with my family, coworkers and society in general; behavior - totally unacceptable while taking 15 vicodins a day vs. totally normal while under the treatment of 120 mgs. of liquid methadone per day.

I don't know, but I see so many posters who could benefit from methadone who skip ahead the light years to the eventual withdrawal from it and that is their deciding factor as to whether to take a chance with a drug program that, let me tell you, really does work! If I were to look ahead to the tapering part, which again, I can't reiterate enough has to be done very slowly, almost minimally like 3 mgs./week, then I would have probably scared myself out of this chance at a new life. Fortunately, I didn't, and I couldn't be happier with the second chance I've been given at living life. I don't care about those who say "it's trading in one drug for another," because for me it became "trading in one drug for your life." While on the pills, I was always thinking about "the end," but in my terms back then, it was the end of my life. I could not do it cold turkey, I couldn't do it via tapering, and I knew I needed help of a different kind. If for whatever reason Suboxone isn't doled out on a sliding pay scale like methadone is, I would have probably gone that route, but it wasn't...and I needed to recapture some of the money I was spending that I just didn't have to spend, and so by a vote of one, methadone won this addict's way out, and I can't express enough how happy I am with my decision, and how very much I've learned while going through methadone maintenane therapy that I know I can fall back on when (or if) it ever comes time for me to go off of it.

I hope that answers your question in your post. Thank you for the chance to be a pro-methadone voice as I've seen some hardcore posts against it, and I suppose I used this as a way to tell the other side...the success side. Withdrawals of anything is hard, we all know that, and I suppose if I was in a situation where I had to w/d c/t from my current dose of meth, I'd be climbing the walls! But it is my intention to see this program through to its fullest, and use every "normal" day it gives me as a chance to gather tools for that day when I no longer chose to use.

Good luck, and if you have any questions about methadone maintenance, I'd be happy to help...

Dallas Alice

Old 04-11-2005, 04:18 AM   #3
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Dallas, BRAVO...BRAVO...BRAVO... You have explained the whole methadone thing soooo well! Do you realize how many people on here that you help soooooooo much with you wisdom? You are such a wonderful person, dont ever forget that! We may have not "talked" alot, but i want you to know how much i learn from you and the strength that i draw from you!

Again, Thank you for just being you!!!

Valley

Old 04-11-2005, 05:34 AM   #4
    DallasAli
    (female)

DallasAli HB User

Hi Valleygurl,

Thank you so much for such a kind post! I have been meaning to write you since I saw your other thoughtful post on my MIA thread...you have a lot going on in your world right now, too, and this is such a great place to connect with others. If it weren't for this place, I'm not sure what I would have done to myself so long ago when I very first joined.

As for the methadone, I know that what works for some doesn't work for others and we all need to do what works for each of us. I have sensed, however, that there are probably "closet" methadone maintenance treatment patients on here who are reluctant to speak about their experience. I know at times, I've been on the verge of replying to a thread that shows only one side of it, and then I change my mind. Then to see the title of this thread "What is the purpose of Methadone?" well, it was the perfect opening for me to write about what I understand the purpose of it to be.

Time to get ready for work, but I'll be back later as I want to read some of your older posts from before my computer was overtaken by trojans and worms...six weeks ago now! Yours is a name I saw regularly on here and I recall feeling that your posts spoke to many people and straight to the heart, as well. It's amazing to me that perfect strangers can connect on a level that is often much deeper than we do in "real" life, but perhaps the freedom of anonyminity gives us that chance. It's one of my goals to be the same person all the time and not become chameleon-like depending on who I'm around. I once read that the true tale of a person is how they act when nobody is looking...

It's a long process, isn't it?! But hey, I've got the time!

Thanks again and take care of yourself,

Dallas Alice

Old 04-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Alice, I am so looking forward to "getting to know you better". I am sure that i can draw much strength and wisdom from you. I suffer with chronic pain in my neck and at times my back, so my dr. has had me on percocet for the pain and of course i "over medicate". I am currently waiting to get into a pian clinic. I have done much research on the pain clinics in our surrounding area and some dont use medications at all and other really push the epidural injections. So i know that when i end up going the pain dr. will most likely want to give me the injection which really scares me. I have had an epidural in my back before as well as i have had a myelogram done, after each procedure i suffered with pain for months at the injection site. That is why i am not really wanting to try the epidural injection in my neck! ouch.......

So anyway, with knowing that often times from taking the pain pills it can often cause exacerbation of the pain that we are trying to kill, i have decided that i want off the pain medication to give myself a chance to "deal" with the true pain and see how bad it really is. So i went to the dr. last week and told him i wanted off and asked him if he would help me. He said that he would and he lowered me down to vicodin 5/500 and set me up with a very slow taper plan. I am just being really anxious and ancy, i want off and i want off now!!!!!! So i am not sure if i am going to finish out the taper plan or if i am just going to do a faster taper or just jump off.

I am just sooooooo mad that i have gotten myself in this position to begin with, but i didnt ask for the chronic pain either. IDK....i am frustrated. Maybe you can give me some words of wisdom??????? Talk to you soon!

Lots of Love, ValleyGurl

P.S. I am nosey.......so what type of work do you do??????

Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
    Gangstar
    (male)

Gangstar HB User

Damn...Dallas, nice post. clears a lott of ***** up for everyone. ive probably posted in places you have, etc, havent talked much, i see you though... "closet" methadone, etc. i felt i had to ask real quick and see if it helps. every now and then when i screw up, take oxys, think the w/ds gonna be sooo bad... so i take a 40mg methadone pill, i dont take it for fun or anythin like that, i know people who have or do though. anyway, i take 10mg a day? wont take any til the next day, about the same time, so 24 hours later... keeps me from w/d'ing real bad...will 4-5 days be enough though? im actually doing it right now, havent had oxys in 24 hours! :/ i need a lot of strength though, thought i was a lot stronger..

Closed Thread