It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• questions about tramadol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
    allmorphedout
    (male)

allmorphedout HB User
    questions about tramadol

Has anyone ever tried tapering using tramadol? I have been using morphine and oxycontin approx. use 200 to 400mg a day. please advise.
    I am on day two of withdrawl and need to work tomarrow. Have Tramadol on hand. please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
    SheSparkles
    Inactive
    (female)

SheSparkles HB User
    Re: questions about tramadol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmorphedout
    Has anyone ever tried tapering using tramadol? I have been using morphine and oxycontin approx. use 200 to 400mg a day. please advise.
    I am on day two of withdrawl and need to work tomarrow. Have Tramadol on hand. please help.
    HI,
    Are you tapering off the narcotics or coming off C/T? If C/T you need to be in detox, ideally. I know you may not be able to, but it's not wise to C/T off large amounts of narcotics...you know that. Please be safe.
    SS

Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
    allmorphedout
    (male)

allmorphedout HB User

Well Im going ct now but i have tramadol and hoped icould use that to taper
    any thoughts, anyone.

Old 05-03-2005, 03:14 AM   #4
    Hollyday
    (female)

Hollyday HB User

I think you can use tramadol (ultram) to ease withdrawal pains while detoxing. I used it and found that it helped enormously with the severe lower back pain that seems to attack when getting off opiates. It also eased the stomach cramps/muscle spasms.

If you have 50mg tramadol, try taking one at a time at first but if it doesn't help enough to work, you can try 2 (but don't exceed 400mg in a day). It won't make you "loopy" and you'll still be able to be alert at your job. I'm guessing you may need 3 to 4 a day for the first couple of days, but remember this: you DO have to taper off of tramadol when you feel you are ready. Can't cold turkey that one as it can cause seizures if you stop taking it abruptly. Just start spreading them out more and then cutting them in half and then you should be done!

Glad you have the tramadol on hand - that should make things a bit easier.

Good luck!

Last edited by Hollyday; 05-03-2005 at 03:16 AM.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:56 AM   #5
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Hey allmorphedout!!! My first thought was that you should be doing this under a doctors supervision. But i know the reality of this addiction, sooooo... i would suggest you give the ultram a try. Alot of people don't believe in using another substance to get off of opiates, but i feel differently. Don't go over 400mg a day, i would take 100mg. for the first dose, which is 2 50mg. tramadol pills. It will give you a bit of energy and really keeps them w./d at bay. I don't know if it is putting off the inevitable, but hey it is worth a shot at this point right??? Just keep in your mind that you are going to get off of it ASAP. I use tramadol now for pain, i used to use any narcotic i could get my hands on. The thing about tramadol is that it last at least 6-7 hours. It lasts so much longer on pain. Either people like it or they don't......i find it works well w/out giving me alot of the side effects that the percs, vikes and oxy were giving me. I don't seem to need more and more, it must satisfy something in our bodies and brains. Give it a whirl and let me know how you do. My grocery delivery service is here, so i will check back after i put the groceries away.
    Day 2 is rough, just keep focused and stay strong. Try to stay busy to keep your mind occupied.
    luv,
    LISA

Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
    bewildered42
    (female)

bewildered42 HB User

I don't know..I'm so addicted to tramadol that I have a hard time endorsing it's use for tapering. However I have a strong desire not to take any other opiates and so my brain doesn't know about things like oxy. Maybe tramadol will be different for you. Tramadol for me is like your oxy's. Very addictive. Don't trade one problem for another...if you use the tramadol, limit your dose and don't use it for any longer than you have to.

BW

Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
    NawtyNellz
    (female)

NawtyNellz HB User

[..I'm so addicted to tramadol that I have a hard time endorsing it's use for tapering.

I dont undstand the whole tramadol thing. from what i understand it has no opiate properties, so how is it so addictive?

Veronica

Old 05-03-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
    allmorphedout
    (male)

allmorphedout HB User

Hi Lisa, how are you, fine I hope. will write more later. just 2 sick right now

Old 05-04-2005, 03:55 AM   #9
    lisaaahubb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Allmorphedout...
    How ya doin today??? I know this is a rough time for you, so i don't expect you to write me back, just wanted to let you know i was thinking about ya.
    Did you give the tramadol a whirl??? I hope it helped some. DON:T FORGET ABOUT IMMODIUM, that seems to be a OTC methadone of some sort. Don't over-do-it on that, but it does help too.
    Lots of liquids, try to keep a slice of toast down and then move up to a smaller meal. Tommorrow will be a better day....
    I found that oxy, takes about a week to feel the w/d wearing off, not 3-5 like regular opiates. I am routing for ya! This is the largest hurdle of your life, be determined, don't let that stupid, life-less pill control you anymore! Try to rest, what are you using for sleep>>????
    O.k.....try to have a good day, i am out here in cyber-space wondering how you are feeling....
    luv,
    LISA

Old 05-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #10
    b'moreaddy
    (female)

b'moreaddy HB User

I have been using it the past week and it has totally eased my wd's. I looked it up on the rx list and it says it is a synthetic opioid analgesic though. I just kind of wait until they get bad and then take one.It does not give me a buzz at all and I have been able to sleep a lot better. I plan on a slow taper over the next few days. I guess this did not answer your question really ...just my 2 pennys. Good luck

Old 05-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
    Catholic_dad
    (male)

Catholic_dad HB User

I have been using tramadol for the past two weeks to get off of vicodin. I am able to space my tramadol usage out by about 20 hours at a time. It helped me alot and although I can sense there is some craving associated with it, it is to such a lesser degree then vicodin. The difference for me is night and day. I am about ready to stop the tramadol too in the next day or two as I want to be rid of all drugs once and for all. I know that there will be some wd's associated with stopping tramadol but I can tell already that it will be to a much lesser degree. The only time I was ever able to go 20 hours with vikes was rarely and not without a tremendous struggle. Don't get me wrong I do not advocate any drug usage to get off of a drug but quite frankly it seems that it is working for me and believe me I tried for two years to quit vicodin. I have now been off of it for about two weeks with ease.

I am not an expert but I hope that this helps.

Andrew

Last edited by Catholic_dad; 05-04-2005 at 09:17 PM.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
    Catholic_dad
    (male)

Catholic_dad HB User

Duplicate message by accident

Last edited by Catholic_dad; 05-04-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Closed Thread