It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

high liver enzyme question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2005, 05:26 AM   #1
tmharrz1
(male)

tmharrz1 HB User
Question high liver enzyme question

Hello,

I am a 31 year old male. I recently had a routine physical (including blood work) and was told that I had high liver enzymes (151). Otherwise, I'm in good shape. I have been drinking beer a lot during the past 10 months (I did not drink prior to July, 2004). Now, I drink anywhere between 6-10 beers per day.
I have no abdominal pain at all, no discoleration of the skin, I am about 20 pounds overweight but still quite active (e.g. tennis, basketball, karate, bicycling...). I must admit, I did eat a lot of fast food and pizzas rather than fruit and vegetables for many years.
Now, I realize this is not good for me and I'm taking measures to stop. However, can someone please give me their opinion regarding the following questions:

1) Can drinking 1/2 case of beer every day for 10 months cause permanent liver damage? I'm in the process of tapering down and will quit. I just thought it better not to stop "cold turkey." 10 months does not seem like enough time to cause any serious, lasting damage.

2) I have changed my diet to include several servings of fruit and vegetables per day. Plus, I have joined Gold's Gym and job 2 miles 4-5 times per week. This is to lose the excess weight. Could the fact that I ate a lot of fast food for several years be the primary culprit in having high liver enzymes? My M.D. said that it was most likely due to my diet and that drinking heavily for 10 months is not long enough to cause liver damage from alcohol alone...he said it usually takes several years of heavy drinking to cause true "liver damage."
What do you think?

I would really appreciate it if a few people would answer as I'm quite worried about the repercussions of drinking 1/2 case of beer every day for 10 months. Since I'm in the process of stopping (I sought counselng and still am going regularly) what might I do to get those enzymes back to a normal level?

Thank you.

T.H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
mrgrateful
(male)

mrgrateful HB User
Re: high liver enzyme question

There is some good news, I understand that the liver is a very resilient organ and that it can repair itself. Of course you have to give it a chance, which means no alchohol. I would take really good care of yourself, say, for 6 months? and then retest, I bet you'll see an improvement............JT

Old 05-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
rontiss1
(male)

rontiss1 HB User
Talking Re: high liver enzyme question

Well, I Am A Recovering Alcoholic And Drank For 28 Years, Heavily And On A Daily Basis, But Like The Gentlemen Mentioned In The Previous Thread, The Liver Is A Very Resilient, Of Course I Stopped The Drinking, Ive Been Sober Now For 13 Or 14 Years And Have Had Complete Physicals With Positive Comments From The Doctors...that I Was Okay...but Stop The Drinking....you Will Be Okay

Closed Thread