It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Next step: Klonopin withdrawal-any suggestions?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2005, 01:51 AM   #1
Bipolar Girl
(female)

Bipolar Girl HB User
Next step: Klonopin withdrawal-any suggestions?

Hi,I posted before about trouble getting off psych meds that I've been on for 5 years for bipolar depression.
I successfully got through the withdrawals from the Zyprexa,the anti-psychotic major tranquilizer--after 4 months of total fatigue--and off the Trazodone prescribed to help me sleep over that time period,which had a withdrawal of it's own. I still feel like I'm recovering from an awful bout of the flu or mono or something.
Now my Pdoc wants me to start tapering the Klonopin I've taked for 5 years,2mg a day,and I'm really scared. It helps me sleep,and I've read horror stories about seizures,etc. during withdrawal. It's so frustrating to me that these Dr's just casually say,oh,cut back from .5 4x a day to 3x a day,okay? Well,I haven't been able to do it. Maybe I've managed 1.75mg a day,and I still feel weird. Tight jaw,twitches,ringing in the ears,etc. I have to call him this week and am afraid he won't understand. He denied that I was going through Zyprexa withdrawal,and had said stopping Trazodone suddenly wouldn't hurt me.
By the way,I've been reading alot on this forum about Ultram addiction and that's how my whole nightmare started. After 2 years I stopped a huge amount cold,and became so depressed I made a suicide attempt,which led to all this psychiatric med crap.
It seems my entire existence right now is kicking pills. I can't help but wonder if I've done permanent damage to my brain. I know Klonopin is like Xanax. I'm just really apprehensive.
Can anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 02:20 AM   #2
meatball
(female)

meatball HB User
Re: Next step: Klonopin withdrawal-any suggestions?

hi, first off... why does your doc want you off the klonopin so bad? If you have depression and you are bipolar it would seem to me that you would need the drugs to help calm you down. I have been on klonopin for years and years, usually 1 milligram a day maybe more depending on how acute my anxiety is. Right now i am taking a half before bedtime to help me sleep and it really helps. Any doctor that denies you the right to feel less anxious needs to be questioned. As for xanax, i got rather addicted to it, was taking about 4 milligrams a day and going off that was awful for me, I find that klonopin is way more soothing because xanax gives you way more side effects. I hope this helps a little.. let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:02 AM   #3
lucylane
(female)

lucylane HB User

I agree with meatball about the klonopin being a help for a good night's sleep. I too, take 1/2 tablet before bedtime. I'm borderline bi-polar and I take the minimum dose of effexor (anti-depression capsule) & the minimum dose of klonopin (anti-anxiety tablet). They also help me a great deal with my pulsatile tinnitus (heart beat sound in my ear). Klonopin even helps my mom rid herself of that awful restless legs syndrome, that she had suffered with for years, but no more.

It sounds like you definitely need something for anxiety & depression and your doctor has to help you find the right combination that works for you and stay with it. They usually start you with the minimum dose first and go up from there.

Last edited by lucylane; 05-15-2005 at 04:06 AM.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:55 AM   #4
Bipolar Girl
(female)

Bipolar Girl HB User

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
I think he plans on getting me down to an as-needed basis rather than a mandatory .5 4x a day. I'm obviously addicted to the stuff right now. I just think he's tapering me way too quickly.

Old 05-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
carly500

carly500 HB User

Hi Bipolar Girl I think you need a second opinion fast. I'am getting off zyprexa SLOWLY with a doctor who I trust implicity. I'am no doctor either but I know a lot of them and I don't see why your doctor had a problem with you staying on trazadone. Also from what I've read your taper from klopin is way too fast. Please go for the second opinion! Carly

Old 05-16-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
goddessgrl65
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Hi-
my friend recently went off zyprexa..bi-polar-very tough detox..i think she was put back on for a time-but now shes off-the weight gain was too much..
she is also on klonipin/and ativan-5 mgs a day total..
in most bipolar cases-the benzos are nessecery for anxiety-etc..at least low dose-perhaps you could tell your dr-its going to have to be slowed down..no rush..really,,esp. after the zyprexa..
im on ads/benzos for depression/panic/ptsd..so i get it..im in fear of being detoxed from benzos-based on my sisters experience..never was able to come off.many detoxs later..it was nixed..
when i went on-it was absolutely nesscery..i was having panic attacks-4x a week-bad ones-now they are managed..and although on occassion it happens-its way differant in intensity..
Id go as slow as possible and talk to your dr..please..about your fears/etc..

ggrl

Closed Thread