It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2005, 07:25 PM   #16
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Re: Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen,
    You and Lynn, and anyone else are MORE than welcome to post on this thread ANYTIME you want because I love both of you and anyone one else who is taking the time out of their day to check in on other people they care about on this board. Whenever yall post it's like free entertainment for me because Lynn, you always see the happy/ light side of EVERY situation and you have a special gift where you are able to see positive things- and you keep us focused on that instead of staying focused on what we are worried about. I will never forget the picture you painted for me about rehab before I went. I remember sitting in my little room on my twin bed at rehab.. glancing out the window and seeing a fed ex truck and recalling the post you sent me one time about a fed ex truck driving up with vics and the fed ex guy says... special delivery for SARA. Sara? Does anyone know a Sara?
    I laughed outloud to myself and it felt so good! Thanks for making me feel "wanted" while I was going threw one of the scariest moments of my life.
    JESSY: Congradulations on your new baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to say that in the last post. Are you working right now or are you staying at home? Watching new babbies sleep is one of my favorate things to do because it's amazing to me how they are just lil' miracles!

Love, love, love,Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM   #17
    marich101

marich101 HB User

Sara,
    So good to see your post and like several others haven't posted much lately been sick with a tummy thing and it won't seem to go away........but do check in occasionally on "the crew". Also want to send my congratulations on your 8 months, like I told you before when you went I was confident that you would make it, you seemed that determined and ready to make the change, but never dreamed you would come out and do the wonderful things you do. I am so very proud of you..........you are our proof that it can be done which in turn gives hope, and hope is a necessity in helping people make "THE" decision. I love you and still keep you in my prayers.......don't forget that ever.
    Marilyn

Old 05-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #18
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

Sarandapity
    thanks for the congrats. he is good and yes i am staying home right now. I know this sounds crazy and totally against the grain but i am a bartender. I have about 20 lbs i need to lose before i will feel right going back to work. I hate gaining weight. it sucks. It seems that the only time i ever gained weight in the past was either in a rehab or jail. LOL! I had to get used to having an extra 15 lbs that just stayed after the drugs. That was ok with me because i was just not healthy before at all and looked sick and scary i am sure. but now i feel huge. I am trying the whole atkins. this is day three for me. the first 5 days or so is always the hardest. i hate dieting. i hate being fat too. now is as good of time as any to go on and get this weight off. i have really never worked out in my life either. i probably will have to in order to get rid of this freaking tummy. I don't quit feel the motivation to do that yet. Maybe it will come and maybe it won't. who knows. All i know is that i have to go back to work some time in the near future. Only a few nights a week though. I love watching my little guy sleep. He is so cute. I just figured out that sleeping flat on his back was bothering him during the day or early evening. I changed formulas thinking that was it and everything. Now he is back on his normal formula and sleeping in the bouncer during the day which is fabulous. I have a hard time going to sleep myself and i really need to during the day when he is sleeping. sucks!

Old 05-29-2005, 07:51 AM   #19
    toomany
    (female)

toomany HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sarandipity
    Patty,
    Wow! I would love to be there when you p/u your 8 month chip! I do not have my girls this weekend so Im going to Suvivors on 610 and San Felipe on Fri at 8, then Post Oak womans on Sat at 11:00, then Sunshine at St. Annes on Saturday night 8oclock, and then Sunday at Post Oak at 11. All of those meetings are excellent except for the Sunday meeting- its pretty good.

So how are you? And how is your son? My boyfriend is sponsoring a guy who just got a dwi, he is 23 and not sure if he is going to have to go to jail or not. I hope your son made it to the halfway house he wanted to go to.

I forgot your sobriety date was so close to mine! Gosh, its been the year of growing this year- and Ive cried a river! Ive never cried so much in my life. I even cry when Im happy now!!! Well, let me know what day you are picking up your chip and where and I will be there to support you and cheer you on!

Lots of love,

Sara

Hi Sara,

I looked for you at Sunshine/St Anne's last night. I introduced myself to a lot of people I didn't know hoping to find you That was a good thing because I still keep to myself ALOT.

Anyway I will keep looking for you. What church is Survivors at?

Have fun. I'm off to meet my sponsor this morning.

Take care,
    Patty

Old 06-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #20
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Smile Re: Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patty!
    Im so sorry... I did not make it to Sunshine on Saturday, although my boyfriend is the chairperson every Saturday, his name is Adam. He gets to the meeting at 6:30 to start setting up, with coffee and snacks. He made a 6 month commitment to do it.

The reason I was not there is I went to a 4 hour meeting re: carrying the message to Texas prisons. Those women don't have meetings unless people come in from the outside and volunteer to do it. They don't even have big books- it floors me that you can be an alcoholic and not get help while you are in prison. I put in my application and will be able to go to 3 prisons close to Houston and have AA meetings! It's so exciting! I really feel for people who WANT to go to meetings and can't even get to one. So Im doing something about it. Let me know if you would be interested in doing it with me. Im also going to start selling big books to people at different meetings and have people write a little something in them, they give it back to me- and then I take it to women in prison... it will give them hope that they can make it sober when they get out of jail. I met this one girl in a meeting and she was a just a girl like you or I or anyone for that matter.. who got 3 dwi's and spent 1 year in jail. Lost everything. Her kids, her clothes, furniture- and has been out of jail for 3 months... she said over and over how she wished someone would have visted her from AA and given her some hope. I can't wait- I really can't!

Survivors was so good this past Friday. It will be tomorrow night too at St Phillips Church, right by that Pappa's restaurant on 610 and San Felipe. It's on the opposite side of the Frwy from Starbucks and Target- The meeting faces the frwy and is right next to the playground. You can't miss it. It's really a meeting you dont want to miss.. it's got answers and good stuff everytime! People from all walks of life there, and it hits me in the heart everytime I go because I always hear something I can relate to - and then something that gives me an answer to what Im struggling with.

Happy 8 months! I went to a 1 year birthday party at Calf Pizza Kitchen on Sunday... she was a pill head like us. It's great to see people accomplishing a year or more.

I have a job interview on Monday so Im really excited about that.

How is your son doing these days and how are you holding up?

You and all addicts and alcoholics are always in my prayers.. I feel blessed to be able to say goodnight to my kids SOBER and HAPPY finally!

Love always,

Sara

Old 06-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #21
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Sara -

I am so very, very proud of you--celebrating your own recovery by sharing your new life with those who desperately need help and are unable to get it. Well, kiddo--all I can say is--you just earned yourself an "E-ticket" ride to Heaven! :-) Your post is such a clear message that kindness and goodness are still around in this crazy old world of ours!

Some years ago, I took a special course to qualify my Lhasa Apso, Oliver, to visit nursing homes with me. He passed with flying colors (a much quicker learner than I am! LOL!)....and every Sunday, we went to visit the elderly at a nursing home close byin the city. It was one of the best experiences of my life---everytime Oliver trotted over to make a new friend--I made a new friend, too. I am normally rather shy in situations like this....but Oliver handled the introductions....and I did just fine! LOL!! We both got so much from these visits...Oliver was petted and fussed over and made to feel like a little king...and I had the opportunity to listen to the most fascinating early chapters of these residents' lives.

Sara, I just know you will be so good at your work with these women in prison. You will be such an angel to them! :-) And you have absolutely made my day reading your post.....and hearing how you will be sharing with so many others, all the happiness and peace that you have found for yourself.

I'll write when I have more time. (I've been doing wonderfully on the Subutex, by the way. :-)

lotsa love from your friend, Lynn xxx

Old 06-04-2005, 06:23 AM   #22
    toomany
    (female)

toomany HB User

Hi Sara,

I went to Survivors Friday night and played the Sara game which is trying to guess which one of these young women you were, but I don't think you were there. BUT it was a fantastic meeting. I had heard about this meeting from a few others and you, thanks for recommending it.

My son is still struggling. He lives at a halfway house or 3/4 house, is working most days and going to meetings but has not come clean about abusing his pyschiatric meds or over the counter ephedra type products so...that is how he is. I'm also going to alanon which is helping me to accept him where he is. I was talking to him last night and he was telling me that he was thinking of moving to a new halfway house where a friend that he relapsed with a couple of months ago lives and I told him he needed to talk to his sponsor only I didn't stop there, lol. Progress not perfection. Sometimes the fear takes over when I talk to him. As obvious as it is that he is a real alcoholic, I don't think he is through with it. All I can do is pray.

Sara, the service work you are doing for women that are incarcerated is wonderful. I can see where the need is very great there. I certainly should have received a DWI or 5 while I was using but I didn't, so it could easily be me. You are so very kind and thoughtful. You definitely walk the walk.

My plan is to go the the Sunshine group tonight. I hope I see you there.

Take care,
    Patty

Old 06-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #23
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Smile Re: Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patty,
    Going to Sunshine meeting tonight. And you are right, I was not able to go to the Survivors meeting last night, but I heard it was pretty good, on commitment- however it fits into your life. I was sad that I could not go but at least I was able to hear about it through my boyfriend.

Im going to Sunshine without a doubt- taking my kids to my sister's house in a minute so I will have enough time to drive over there.

I read about your son, and I definately want to talk to you about it... I have some ideas- if you want to hear em... let me know. Hopefully I will find you at Sunshine tonight. Adam will be there too... and he is a great guy who might be able to help your son by sponsoring him. He is laid back, hip, and strait forward about recovery. He will have a year on the 16 of this month.

Love ya and everyone in recovery, Peace to everyone-

Love Sara

Old 06-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #24
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User
    Cool Re: Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless you Sara and thank you for being the person you are. God brought you to these boards and we all are better for it.

Love ya,

emily's mom

Old 06-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #25
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Emily's Mom,
    Thanks, that makes me feel sooooooooooooooo good inside.

Patty- Im worried about you... I hope you and your son are alright. Youre not going to believe this but I looked everywhere for you Sunshine last night... I could not find you, and at the same time I was going around asked people if they were you..... my boyfriend's good friend was walking around hoping he would run into you... I guess you met at the Suvivors meeting Friday night. I did not put two and two together until this morning when my boyfriend said remember you were looking for Patty??? Well my friend Rolly was hoping she would be at Sunshine too!

That was a lot coinciendence which could possibly be a God- thing. I think it's neat that you know him. So back to... I hope you are okay. I check on the boards as much as I can to see If I can help anyone or the days I need help.. I look on the boards to see if something will give meaning to the way Im feeling.

It's Sunday and my interview is tomorrow.... Im getting prepared for the interview now. I really think Im going to get it! I think this is where I will be the best at what I do- and the company that could teach me a lot!

Pray for me k?

Love always,

Sara

Old 06-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #26
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Hi Sara!
    Oh I just know your interview will go well! You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.
    You're recovery has been awesome and you are so deserving of all the promises ahead.
    Hugs and Love,
    Ellen

Old 06-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #27
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Thanks Ellen- thats so sweet! I really do appreciate your thoughts about me and the encouragement on the job. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Im excited! I probably will not know anything tomorrow though because It's my first time meeting the director. God's given me 6 months with my kids... sober... and I know them for the 1st time- wouldnt trade that for all the money in the world. Now... it is time to be responsible. I want to make a good life for my children. And to make that happen I will need to get a great job. Im not fearful, Im calm and actually looking forward to it! Weird huh?

Love you Ellen,

Goodnight,

Sara

Old 06-06-2005, 03:31 AM   #28
    LuvMyMan
    (female)

LuvMyMan HB User

Hello, This Is My First Time Here On The Boards, Thanks For All The Inspiring Stories. My Story Is My Husband And I Are Both In Detox /recovery From A 10+ Aday, 2 Yr Norco Habbit. He Is 3 Days Into A Suboxone And I Will Start Treatment The Treatment Soon Also. So Far He Has No Withdraws And Is Doing Great!!!! We Are So Looking Forward To Getting Our Lives Back To Normal. We Will Keep You Posted

Old 06-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #29
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User

Bumping this up...... Too Many where are you?

Lynn- I got denied from the Texas prisons to go have AA meeting there! You have to have a year sober, and I only have 8 months. Bummer, I was so looking forward to doing that now. At least I can sell the books, and have people in recovery sign them so other people can take them.

To Luv In.... I am so happy for you and your husband. Detox is no quick fix, just a start on a journey you will take to a much happier life.

Love to you,

Sara

Old 06-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #30
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Hi Sara!
    Well in just four more months you will have that year! Imagine that girl?? Maybe next term you will be able to do a meeting at the prison? That would be awesome! I once chaired a meeting at an Aids hospital/hospice here in the city. Mostly everyone was drug addicted and poor and going to the weekly AA meeting was voluntary for them yet almost everyone would show up! I think it was more for the cigarettes I would bring with me! I use to buy 2-3 cartons and pass out packs. (This goes back about 9 or 10 years, when smoking wasn't prohibited in hospitals). They loved my meeting! Whatever it takes right? It taught me so much about compassion and gratitude and I know I received so much more from them then they did from me.

Btw, in 1987, the year before I got clean and sober my own father died from Aids - He was a life long heroin addict and was only 61 years old when he died. My mom also died of this disease. (Overdosed on Vikes and fentanyl in 2003.) I don't know why I'm mentioning that now (Aids hospice, I guess) except that I know that without a program of recovery, I was on the same exact deadly path. Heroin, included.

Anyway, just wondering how your interview went. In any event, you are such a power of example to so many who struggle with this disease. A day at a time, sometimes 5 minutes at a time ... it is doable!
    Sending love and hugs to you and your precious daughter!
    ell

Closed Thread