It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Smile Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, can you believe it? Eight months is a long time and theres been more changes in thoses eight months than in any time in my life. I remember people in rehab telling me to "hang on- if you work the steps, stay sober, and help others your life will change like you wouldn't believe" I had no idea or didn't believe it at the time. First- laid off from job, new friends, forgiveness of others, ammends, relationship with family (but not like it used to be- they trust me and love me now) funny how I thought THEY were the crazy ones!- broke up with boyfriend, new friends at kids school, more time now, more money because not spending money on drugs, and better health.

I miss all of the friends I made on here two years ago and really apreciate the people who helped me through the pain and agony of wanting to stop taking pills so bad but just couldn't. I did not even know what AA was and I thought it was just for alcoholics. I have two girls I am now sponsoring and some remarkable things have happened to me since Ive been helping others stay sober and get connected to God. I was reading another thread and it talked about the book, Purpse Driven Life. I am reading a book right now as an assignment for my sponsor called, Sermon on the Mount. The girls I sponsor have not stayed sober for 30 days at a time- because they cave before the drugs have had a chance to clear out of their system and it causes them to not feel the consience contact with God or their Higher Power so they still feel alone- and that no one knows the agony and pain of craving they are feeling so they rely on pills or alcohol or drugs to make the pain go away. I first give them an assignment of reading pages 17 -43 in the Big Book and highlighting the things they can relate to. I have never told anyone they are an addict or alcoholic- only they can say if they are or not.
    I meet with them once a week and are available to them 24/7. I have my sponsor to help me if I need help sponsoring someone or they have a question I do not know. I have found out the amount of time you have sober makes no difference as long as you have worked the steps. As a matter of fact I wish I had started sponsoring people before. Passing on what you know about working the program and staying sober is how I stay sober. Its so cool!

I have not logged on in so log and want everyone to know I still think about you all and hope everyone is doing good. I pray for the recovery of everyone, and still have not met Patty who is here is Houston!

Im still going to two meetings a day, not working yet, and just spending time with my kids- or on recovery. I miss all my friends Ive made on this site and I love Lynn, Alice, Dallas, Lisa, Sparkle, Patty, Banker, Carol, Goddessgirl, Marilyn, Jen, Christian mom, Michelle, Hydroqueen, WIChris, Windysan, Ellen, and BC. I LOVE YALL ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, and am sending a huge prayer to all of you- and lots and lots of hugs! Thank you for helping me get sober and thank you for always lurking and helping one another out. I love yall for that.
    PLEASE let me know how everyone is doing.

Love, Hope, Peace, - and Happiness to everyone out there and those who are still struggling with the disease...

out of the Big Book:

Once more: The alcoholic or addict at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink or drug. Execpt in a few rare cased, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power.

Last edited by Sarandipity; 05-21-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
    Ukonom
    (male)

Ukonom HB User
    Re: Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice Work..............I went back and read some of your stories and trials. You have a lot to be proud of. Its nice to see some of the old timers come back on here and tell us folks that are early in our recovery that you made it.....and that life is glorious. I'm very glad that you found a way to stay sober. I don't have the luxury (unfortunately) of going to NA, but have been doing a lot of work on myself....and I'm making improvements. Today is day 36, and each day gets a little easier (just wish the sneezes and watery eyes would stop) You are an inspiration to those of us that need to hear about long-term recovery! Congrats!
    Ukonom

Old 05-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

Good for you!! That is awesome. i am three years off of heroin and eventually methadone and a ton of crack and who even knows what else. it really is amazing how things just get better and go your way and you get a good , happy , healthy, and rewarding life. my husband and i are both over three years clean and we just had our first baby and are buying a house with my dad's help (the king of tough love) in november and live totally normal and content lives. we have had amazing blessings happen to us in the last three years non stop. i mean non stop crazy great things have happened to us. i got out of jail with just enought for an empty apartment and wound up with a apartment full of stuff, got my driver's license back , wound up managing restaurants, selling cars for myself, somehow making great friends, and got blessed with being able to be with my ex-dope fien partner love of my life and we got married, and now we have cars , a nice place, we are really responsible, and now we have our beautiful new three week old son that we are able to love and take really good care of. amazing. totally amazing. i amaze myself. you go with your bad butt!!! rock on.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Talking Re: Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey! JESSY28, I laughed so hard when I read your post! I love it! Im still with my partner in crime too! He has almost a year, and me- I have 8 months. But let me tell you- we go to AA together and there is never a dull moment around. I LOVE dull moments nowadays but... we laugh a lot too!
    So glad to hear your story of recovery. My ex was the crack, heroin, alcohol,everything kind of guy- and I was the any kind of pill popper- as long as it made me escape the craziness that was going on inside my head.
    It's made us so thankful waking up everyday with an additude of graditude instead of waking up hung over.

AND TO THE NEW PERSON 36 DAYS SOBER AND HAVING WATERY EYES, SNEEZING, ETC.... You will get through that- if you can- try taking your mind off of it... and before you know it- it's gone. Can you get to an AA meeting? When you get all of the chemicals out of your system..you have a much better chance of "getting" the program and feeling a lot better. Most people cannot make it past the craving period and they end up using drugs before they start working the steps. The best thing to do is get a sponsor immediatly where they can guide you through what to do and keep you busy so you are so busy doing homework and learning about the disease- that you get addicted to being sober and sooner than you know..... the obsession to drink or drug is GONE! It's the coolest thing! Hang in there and please let me know how you are doing????????

Love you Jessy!

-Sara

Old 05-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #5
    Ukonom
    (male)

Ukonom HB User

Well I wouldn't expect you to know my story...........but to make a long story short, this is my 37 day clean from a 20+ Norco a day habit. No, as I mentioned, NA isn't an option (you are welcome to go back and check my posts of detox) if you want to know why. Suffice to say I want nothing more to do with the pills ever again, cravings included! Been there and done that. I CT and it was a living hell, no clonodine, no benzos to sleep, just good old vitamins, hot showers, water, OTC sleep aid, etc. I have been through so many withdrawals in my life, I knew this was the final one. Didn't hit "rock bottom" but was probably getting close. I'm a loner, actually a lone wolf, as I have two of them. I put myself in this spot, and I will be damned if I won't get myself out of it. Your remark about "try and take my mind off of it" was rather humorous, as I mentioned I'm 37 days in...........I'm not imagining this discomfort, and believe me I have tried to get my mind off of all of it! BTW: the handle is Ukonom, in case that was to hard to look at. "Getting" what program? I guess I don't "get" it....sorry.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Sara..
    Great to hear from you..
    Wow-it seems like yesterday..you were checkin in to rehab..incrediable.
    Ill never forget when you got out-how elated you were..and i was inspired to go myself..i still am-and it may happen in the future..i still have much to contend w/-
    I am also w/ my partner in crime..and i can't say its been breezy-2 addicts together can be difficult..but hes alot more solid-
    Congrads-You are doing the work-you are holding it together..
    You/higher power/and the grace of the universe...
    peace..
    ggrl

Old 05-22-2005, 07:50 AM   #7
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

ah these are the kind of success stories that i like to see here.congrats and so glad that you have made it.i do remember ya its been awhile since i posted and i need to update my story asap.good luck-spark

Old 05-22-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
    Best Friend
    Veteran

Best Friend HB User

Hi Sara! Congratulations! It is SOOOOO good to hear from you. You are such an important friend to so many of us here, and I am so happy that you have made a new life for yourself. I know the journey is never over, but you have done so well....and what a blessing your kindness and energy must be to others in AA. BIG HUGS!!!!
    Alice

Old 05-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
    toomany
    (female)

toomany HB User

Congratulations Sara on 8 months of continuous sobriety!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience here. When I joined this board in 2003 it was the stories of people that had gotten sober that gave me hope that maybe I could do it too. The help/encouragment I got here from everyone, from those still suffering and from those that had found their way, was enough to get me started on my journey to a sober life.

I hope we will meet at a meeting someday soon. Almost every time I go to P.O. I wonder if Sara is here. That's kind of fun thought/game I play with myself. I hope we meet soon.

I'm not far behind you woman! In a couple of days I'll have 8mos too!

Take care,
    Patty

Old 05-22-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

So good to see you Sara! Congratulations on your 8 months. I too remember so well your first days out of rehab, and how beautifully and willingly you took to the program. You grabbed it like the life boat it is for so many. AA gives us so many useful tools on how to stay away from that first pill/drug/drink and gives us that "instruction book" on how to live life on lifes terms one day at a time. You know, the book so many of us were absent from school on the day they handed it out? I know without a doubt I didn't get it! lol!
    Anyway, I'm so glad you sound so happy and that your life is filling up with love, beauty and a sense of service. Please stay in touch and continue to share your experience, strength and hope with all the many newcomers that arrive here each day. I don't post as often as before but I do try to check in frequently, even just to answer one post if I feel it can be useful.
    Sending you love and hugs Sara dear!
    ell

Old 05-22-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Wink Re: Sara (Sarandipity) = 8 MONTHS SOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patty,
    Wow! I would love to be there when you p/u your 8 month chip! I do not have my girls this weekend so Im going to Suvivors on 610 and San Felipe on Fri at 8, then Post Oak womans on Sat at 11:00, then Sunshine at St. Annes on Saturday night 8oclock, and then Sunday at Post Oak at 11. All of those meetings are excellent except for the Sunday meeting- its pretty good.

So how are you? And how is your son? My boyfriend is sponsoring a guy who just got a dwi, he is 23 and not sure if he is going to have to go to jail or not. I hope your son made it to the halfway house he wanted to go to.

I forgot your sobriety date was so close to mine! Gosh, its been the year of growing this year- and Ive cried a river! Ive never cried so much in my life. I even cry when Im happy now!!! Well, let me know what day you are picking up your chip and where and I will be there to support you and cheer you on!

Lots of love,

Sara

Old 05-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #12
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Sara! So wonderful to hear from you! You have done so well and sound so happy. And now you're doing so much for others. You are sure proof that helping others can be one of the best "drugs" around! :-) Miss your posts. xxx Lynn

Ellen - How are you feeling? :-)

Uknom - Hope your overactive ducts soon dry up!!! :-) They certainly have "cried you a river"!! LOL! Arrrghhhh!! Seriously though, it must be miserable. I'm like you in that if there are any weird and wonderful symptoms that only a few people suffer.....I'm always part of that "few"! Including the length of time it takes me to get over things...whether it's a cold...or withdrawal! :-) Feel better soon! Lynn

Old 05-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #13
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Hiya Lynn!
    Thanks for asking Sweetie! Just a quickie update, hope Sara doesn't mind my using her thread!
    Right now I am still titrating my dose to a theraputic level on the new medication my addictionologist recently started me on in the hopes that "this combo" will be the one! it takes about 5 weeks, otherwise a rash can develope. (Don't need that!) Actually, I have noticed a slight mood improvement since starting it, (placebo?) It's called Lamictal, and actually it is an anti seizure/ mood stabelizer, also used for bipolar, which I am NOT. This has been added to my current AD- Lexapro. Lamictal is a new class of drug for me, but we were running out of options since I have tried most of the SSRI's, wellbutrin, effexor, etc. even nuerontin which I hated!
    So I am feeling more hopeful then a coupla weeks ago!
    I also have a minor reprieve from my medical tests, cat scans, etc., at least until July. So nerve wracking! But I do try to stay positive, except of course
    when it is test time! I'm thinking now how our CMom, might be doing~I think she said she was having surgery this month. Hope she is holding up.
    Lynn, Bestfriend ~ thank you both for asking about me recently. I'm here, sometimes just lurking but always checking in on all my special and beloved friends here on this board. I'm like a little butterfly angel right now! hehee!
    Love and hugs to all!
    Ell

Last edited by Ellnyc; 05-23-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #14
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Ell (I'm sure Sara will forgive us commandeering her thread for a couple of messages! LOL!) :-)

I have been hoping so much this new drug combo will knock thru your highly resistant receptors! They obviously turn up their noses at the SSRI'S!! My own psychs. have always been fascinated by just how much of each antidepressant I've had to take before they even registered in that "theraputic window." My brain must work like a giant "Pac Man" game.....gobbling up all the good guys before they can reach their goal! LOL! By the way, with the antidepressants I took that did work---I always thought it was a placebo effect at first! I'm such a skeptic! But....I was wrong...both times it WAS the drug taking effect. :-)

I'm glad you have a medical reprieve until July......I can't imagine how tough it is having all those tests. And I just wanted you to know that, like you, even tho' I don't have as much time to write...I'm always checking up on my dear friends... like you! :-)

xxx Lynn :-)

Old 05-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #15
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

UKONOM<
    Mellow is the name of the game. I am just messing with you. But i sense a little hastiness in that post. Do what works for you. You sound like you are not new to this. Some people do the meeting thing and some just don't. You made me laugh but be nice now.

Closed Thread