It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

benzo withdrawal

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
shadyk
(female)

shadyk HB User
benzo withdrawal

Hi I am new to this board and so glad I found it. I have a very pressing problem. Have been on massive amounts of benzos---ativan, valium --many others I cant remember (part of problem) and quit cold turkey about 3-4 days ago. Just read about gradual withdrawal (another drug librium i was on). I am suffering extreme symptoms--severe memory loss, confusion, extreme visual defects, extreme muscle spasms, extreme heightened sense of smell, hearing. Ive been very hyper in speech and activity but now am getting very fatigued but cant sleep. Question--should I restart at least ativan and do a slower taper off? Is ambien or flexeril damaging?
So very grateful for any help or suggestions.
shadyk

The following user gives a hug of support to shadyk:
patrickbetter (05-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
Hollyday
(female)

Hollyday HB User
Re: benzo withdrawal

I know some people have problems controlling their use of muscle relaxers like soma and flexeril, but in the case of tapering off of benzos I think it would be ok to use them in limited amounts. Your body systems have been depressed from using the benzos so whatever you feel now will seem hyper but eventually you will settle into your "natural state". It will just be a foreign place for you at first! You could try taking a small dose of flexeril for the muscle spasms but if you feel yourself slipping, then throw them out! Since flexeril is a central nervous system depressant, it might lead you back to the other "downers" so be careful.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
dwp512
(male)

dwp512 HB User

ShadyK,

Very dangerous to be doing what you are doing...coming off of benzos should be done SLOWLY and typically with some medical help. I admire your courage to drop these, but CT is STRONGLY discouraged by just about everyone. Be careful.

dp

Old 05-23-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
shadyk
(female)

shadyk HB User

Many thanks for replies to my post. I have so much to learn.
shadyk

Old 05-24-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
mack85
(male)

mack85 HB User

Yes, I've heard this too. The two most dangerous withdrawls are that of benzos and alcohol if I'm not mistaken. I'm currently trying to come off benzos for medical reasons; never abused but have been on for 2 years. Tapering little by little and I give each taper 2 weeks. Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
goddessgrl65
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Don't go cold turkey off the benzos-please search the ashton manual on the web-very dangerous..tapering must be done very slowly..
please be careful-they are not like opiates-its a long term-w/d-taper..
Good luck-and read all you can..
ggrl

Old 05-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
shadyk
(female)

shadyk HB User

again many thanks for the answers re my ct withdrawal. I just obtained my medical records for the past 4 months. Four emergency room visits with massive amounts of benzos given (called concious sedation) for replacement of dislocation of very old hip replacement. Three operating room visits--couldnt re place hip unless I was totally out.
Some OR visits lasted 5 hours and had large amts of sedation--versed etc and large doses of benzos given "to keep me quiet and relaxed ". One hospitalization for septecemia (blood poisening) with temp of 105. Massive antibiotics and benzos again!
A fractured shoulder and hip replacement (accident). I came home from all these with a pharmacy--librium, valium, vicodin, ativan, benedryl,flexeril, ambien, (probably others I cant remember) and a case of diabetes to boot. These meds were given to me around the clock. Also had a history of heavy drinking since my husband died a few years ago. Sooo they gave me Antabuse to boot.Stopping all of these drugs gave me almost every symptom described in the book--and very severely. I truely thought I was going to loose my mind. I even got lost at walmart. Went from freezing cold to dripping with sweat 3-4 times a day. Really severe visual distortions and extreme hearing and smell (of weird odors). Confusion and disorientation. Couldnt add small sums, figure out how to send an email, would stare at something and wonder what I was supposed to do with it. Cried easily and blew up at just about everyone. Totally unlike me. Seemed like all my systems were in high gear. After reading the posts and book about slow withdrawl I started taking 1-5mg ambien, and l flexeril both at night and 1/2 flexeril in am. Also started taking some herbs and amino acids that are supposed to aid brain function and neurotransmitter repair. Actually feel a little bit better today.
Im so looking foreward to feeling normal again. Maybe it will be a long time but at least I hope to get a tiny bit better each day. I take pleasure in small things--like remembering what I did 5 minitues ago, able to remember some of the words to songs I knew, having to think a long time about where I was and where I was going (in car) but being able to bring some of the memories up. Its one thing to loose your mind but its another thing to know you are loosing it.
Looking foreward to another day and hopefully things will get better slowly. This is a really debilitating illness.
Again many thanks to the good people who posted a reply. It really helps. Seems every one I try to talk to either thinks Im exaggerating, just paranoid or just making it up. They really dont know the half of what I really am experiencing.
Ive whined enough. Thanks for letting me go on. It feels good to be able to say these things and know there are others who "been there--done that"
Im always open to suggestions. Restarting the flexeril and ambien (apparently less damaging than other things) had helped relieve some of the symptoms. Will plan to do a slower taper on these and avoid all others.
Thanks for listening and God bless.
shadyk

Old 05-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #8
Done with Drugs
(female)

Done with Drugs HB User
Red face Re: benzo withdrawal

Hello,

Please, Please don't stop the benzos or any of your other meds. without help from a doctor. Stopping any benzos can at the worst kill you and at the least, send you into a seizure. These are not like opiates. C.T. from opiates feels like H----, but will NOT kill you. C.T. from Benzos, just might.

All the vitamins and amino acids in the world will not help unless you are following a doctors taper.

Please call your doctor and report to us so we know you are ok.

Hugs....
emily's mom

Old 05-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
shadyk
(female)

shadyk HB User

Many thanks for the several recommendations to seek medical help ie from my/a doctor. Problem is he doesnt recognize benzo withdrawl as a real syndrome and isnt familiar with tapering. Probably wouldnt consider it even with all the written info in the world. His advice given last week was--see a neurologist. Asked him if any neuros in the area were familiar with this subject. He said absolutely not
I think the neuro would probably prescribe more drugs. I have all the symptoms of "a major psychosis". I sure dont need any more drugs and I dont want to be commited to a phych facility either. That would mean more psycho type drugs--many of which are benzos or closely related. I have the misfortune (??) of being a registered nurse so am pretty familiar with what the traditional medical field will do. Its discouraging. Perhaps someone knows how to find an MD familiar with this field? I am in southern Calif.
Many thanks for the replys and advice. It really helps to know someone else out there knows and gives a hoot.
shadyk

Old 07-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
leashy22
(female)

leashy22 HB User
Re: benzo withdrawal ? for mack 85

this is for mack 85, how is the benzo tapering going. i went cold turkey off lorazepam in which i had been taking it for 5 mos. for sleep and had the worst w/d symptoms. now i have been given klonopin for a tapering schedule. what were you taking? and how are the withdrawals from each taper.

Closed Thread