It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Need advice please! My BF is trying to come off vicodin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #16
    tony_b

tony_b HB User
    Re: Need advice please! My BF is trying to come off vicodin

Hi Jackie,

I have been on the Suboxone program for 2 years after a very long battle with Norcos (a very strong vicodin w/less acetomenophin). Anyway, it took me about that long to feel like I was getting somewhat back to normal. I want to let you know that trying to kick this suboxone is as hard or harder b/c of the way the drug attaches itself to the receptors in the brain. Not to mention that I have been taking it for soooo long! Anyway, I think that Suboxone saved my life as I had no cravings for the opiates when I am on the Suboxone. But I will tell you this, trading one opiate for another is not the answer b/c he has to withdraw from that as well. I wish it were easier to explain but until you actually experience it, you will not know the horrible feelings you go through. Eventually, he will be back to normal but give it some time. I know everything will work out for you and your b.f.! Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 10:40 AM   #17
    jackilovesscott
    (female)

jackilovesscott HB User

Tony, if you read this, how did it affect your personal relationships if it did at all??

Old 05-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #18
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

Jackie,

Honestly, I don't know how he functioned at all after 3 years of vico abuse. And what I mean by that is, when I was taking those pills, that's all I cared about and what was going to be the outcome if I couldn't get more!!! I cared more about the pills than a girl! Suboxone affected my personal relationship in a positive way b/c I felt normal again! I got my life back in order while I was taking the Subs and I know that I would not have survived if I kept going the way I was! I am fixing to start weening myself off of the subs but it is going to be a battle as well! If I were you, don't let him take more than the subs than he is prescribed. It will do nothing for him! The naloxone is an opiate antagonist and it blocks that "high" feeling, so if he takes more subs it will just cancel that affect out! Plus it's a waste of the medicine and costs alot of $$$$. You will soon see that he won't be leaving to get more vicos and he will begin to have more $$$ in the bank! If you need anything, I will be here!

Old 05-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #19
    jackilovesscott
    (female)

jackilovesscott HB User

That's weird. He said he always felt like he needed the vicodin just to function and get through the day. Right now he's starting to wean off the subs. I'm just worried because we met while he was "under the influence", and what if he comes off everything and his feelings change? I'm hearing alot of people say I should stick by him because after all is said and done he will remember the one person who was there and it will make us stronger, but I also dont want to get hurt either. What a crappy position to be in on both ends.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #20
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

I am glad to hear that he is weaning off now! It is so much harder to do when you have been taking them for a long time! As far as the relationship thing goes, I didn't have or want a girlfriend when I was taking the norcs b/c I was ashamed of myself. I used to be a great athlete and when I severely injured my shoulder, I started taking pain-killers and I never stopped. That bad decision, not to be able to accept the pain like a man has led me to where I am now. The Suboxone allowed me to get my life back in order. I have a great job, girlfriend, family, etc. I honestly would not have made it without my family. He is so lucky to have a g.f. that is so supportive like you! I am sorry to say this but if he blows that, then that is his loss b/c it sounds like you are the ONLY person that has stood by his side. It sucks doing it by yourself b/c you have nobody to turn to when you feel like you're dying! I am sure that he is very emotional right now and he feels like crap, but that's what he has to go through to get over a 3 year habit. So bear with it for a while and it will get better, it just takes time. I have flash-backs of how it used to be and I am thankful that I started the Suboxone.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #21
    jackilovesscott
    (female)

jackilovesscott HB User

Yeah,

That sounds kind of familiar to what he said. When i asked him why he decided to tell me, he said he wanted me to know the truth and also in case he acted funny, etc. Also, i'm going through a medicine change of a different sort. I'm on depakote trying to change to a different medicine for a seizure disorder. I dont know if you know, but seizure meds are the same meds used for manic/depression also. I'm switching because he's the first guy who makes me want to think about having kids, and you cant on depakote. He agreed I should switch for that reason, and he said part of why he decided to get off the vic is because he saw us moving forward and he saw me making this change for us and wanted to do the same. I'm the only person who stuck by him through this because i'm the only person who knows about it. All his friends and family dont know. He's already talking about christmas and planning a vacation together in january, and this is while he's weaning off the sub, so i'm GUESSING things are still pretty positive. I'm just scared that's all. I've never had to deal with anything like this before. Thanks though for all your help tony. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #22
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

No problem Jackie! I know everything will work out for you and I hope that you can find a siezure medicine that works for you! Are you epileptic if you don't mind me asking? I just wanted to know why you take the depakote.. If you have any question about the subs, let me know! I will be happy to tell you everything I know. By the way, you wanted to know about his sex drive as well. I know that when I started to take the subs, I started caring about having a girlfriend again, hahaha. So does that answer your question???

Old 05-26-2005, 05:54 PM   #23
    hpd
    (female)

hpd HB User

Although your BF may be acting like a totally different person right now please remember that he is facing a serious psychological challenge, not to mention a physical one as well. Believe me I know, I'm right there with him. How he is acting while coming off of the drugs is not who he is going to be. I quit 2 days ago (almost 3 now) and I can totally relate to his identity crisis. You really do lose yourself in the drug. You are so awesome in your willingness to stick by him. It is going to be difficult if you haven't had the experience of recovering from an addiction. It is definitely a roller-coaster ride. Like the others have said...when he comes out on the other end of this thing he WILL remember who stood by him even in the hardest times. After all, sometimes it's the hardest experiences in life that bring us closer together.
    You are in love with an addict and that's basically the only part of him you have known so far. I believe that after he has recovered and evened out a little that you will find he has even more traits that you will love as you really do get to know the "real" him. Good luck to you, and just remember to be patient!

Old 05-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #24
    jackilovesscott
    (female)

jackilovesscott HB User

Hi,

Thanks again for all the feedback. And Tony, yes, I am an epileptic. I've been on seizure meds since i'm a little girl. That's a bumpy ride in itself trying to find another one that works for me and still be able to work, drive, etc. Very scary. I read that you're also coming off of subs. You can feel free to post to me also if you need an "extra ear". Thanks again for all your help.

Jacki

Old 05-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #25
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

Yes I am trying to get off but I messed up b/c I just tried to quit C/T after 2 years and I cannot do that at home! I have to wean myself down and then try to quit! I don't know if it is going to work but we'll see right? How is your b.f. feeling today? I hope everything goes well for you! Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on that if needed Talk to you later Jackie!

Old 05-27-2005, 09:13 AM   #26
    jackilovesscott
    (female)

jackilovesscott HB User

I didn't get to talk to scott today, but he must be feeling good. He has off from work and is playing in a golf tournament in queens (we live in Long Island, NY). It's a beautiful day here so i'm sure he's out enjoying the fresh air and having fun which is good for him, he needs that. Yesterday he said he was "feeling down". I sent him an e-card because it was our 5-month anniversary and he thanked me and said it "made his day" because he was feeling down. Thanks for asking.

Don't say you "messed up". The important thing is you're doing something about this and I dont think there is a "mess up" - that's just an uninvolved person's opinion though. I think just because someone may not make it on the first try, that's not a "mess up" or a fail. It's such a big step to even be recognizing it and trying in the first place, I think you (or anyone) should just get up, brush yourself off, and keep on going, one day at a time. You're going to be just fine, I have a feeling. I told scott the same thing. Talk to you soon. Keep me posted how you're doing ok?

TTYL
    Jacki

Old 05-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #27
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

Thanks Jackie for the motivational bump I appreciate it!!! I am trying to get through this and I will let you know what happens! Talk to you soon!

Tony

Old 05-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #28
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

How's everything going today Jackie? I must say that I am tired but I don't feel like total crap anymore! I think I am going to go out and get my oil changed in my truck and maybe run some other errands. I'm ****** b/c I pay like $120/month for my Time Warner cable/roadrunner and it has been screwin up ALL week on my vacation. I usually am home 4 x's a month and now that I have a week off, it goes out! I'm about to say SEE YA and go w/someone else! Anyway, I hope Scott is doing good and everything is working w/you & him. Keep me posted! TTYL

Old 06-03-2005, 07:33 AM   #29
    jackilovesscott
    (female)

jackilovesscott HB User
    Hey Tonyb -- Sorry I missed your Post

Hey Tony,

How are you doing?? Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I'm so glad to hear that you're not feeling crappy anymore. Keep up the good work. Scott just went back to the dr. yesterday for a refill on the sub, and he's upset because he wants to get off the sub sooner than the dr. wants him to. He doesn't want to get addicted. I kind of don't blame him. I just keep telling him to do what he thinks he needs to do. He's just been working ALOT and always seems tired, like you said. Also, same with the sweats and headaches as well. Thanks for asking though. I'll try to check on here more often. It's difficult for me because I dont have internet access at home anymore (by choice). I only have it at work. Anyway, this weekend we're running a garage sale, so it'll be a busy one. Hope everything is going well with you. Hang in there, I know you'll be ok. BTW - where are you from? Tell me about you. Scott and I are from NY. I'm 28 and he's 33. Talk to you soon, have a good weekend. Feel good ok??

Old 06-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #30
    tony_b

tony_b HB User

Hey Jackie,

I am so glad that everything is going good for you! If Scott just wants to quit taking the subs, then tell him to NOT FILL the script that he got from the Dr. Honestly though, he's had opiates in his body for the last 3 years and it will be a very difficult fight for him to just put them down C/T. BUT, , he's lucky b/c he's got you to stand by his side! HE IS SUCH A LUCKY DUDE JACKIE!!! I hope he realizes that!!! Hey, I live in Houston, TX, but I work all over the Southern U.S. (ie Louisiana, Miss, Colorado, Ark, etc.. bla, bla, bla!! Anyway, shout back at me if you want! My email is [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ] I am glad to have met you Jackie and I hope you make a lot of money at the garage sale...

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 06-04-2005 at 03:39 PM. Reason: The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Closed Thread