It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Need advice please! My BF is trying to come off vicodin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2005, 06:09 PM   #31
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Need advice please! My BF is trying to come off vicodin

Hi Jackie,

I have been addicted to the Vicodin for several years. I quit, many times, but always relapsed, that is, until I took the sub. It allowed me to live without my addictive behavior which had become deeply ingrained in me. It has been almost two years. I have only been taking approx. 3mgs. per day for the last year. A couple of months ago I decided to go off of it. Only because of the cost. I tried quitting at 2 mgs. but felt horrible after a couple days. The doc. said to wean down every few days or so, smaller and smaller amounts. I am now down to a very small little crumb. I think it is about .1mgs. I do scrape a little piece off of a 2mg tablet. I have had no problems going down to this small amount. But I am going to keep weaning until there is nothing left. If I feel any discomfort I will go back up to the previous dose for a few days. Sub. has saved my life and my family. I now, after over a yr. have absolutely no desire to ever take a pain pill again. It is too wonderful to enjoy life and not be chasing that high. Have your boyfriend try whatever weaning program he feels comfortable with and if he feels w'd's, he can go back up for a little while. I don't believe in having to suffer. My analogy is that I also used an epidural during the delivery of my daughter. I know some people say that is not the "natural way of birth", but it allowed me to be totally awake and aware with little pain and able to enjoy and remember every moment of the birth. Well, that is how I feel about getting off the drugs. I tried suffering with C.T. and for me the way was to use the sub. to break my bad, bad habits and get off of it when I no longer need to protect myself from relapsing. You are very supportive, keep it up, does he have any therapist or anything? I found this very useful as I learned why I was addicted and why I no longer have that need in my life. With sub you are able to really think things through.
    Don't be afraid you will lose him because, or when. he feels truly "clean". Even though he was under the influence, I'm sure there were many times that you saw the real "him" and that is who you love. Now, he can really love you back without that "drug cloud" over him. Just continue to be there for him and encourage him to take a look at these boards and perhaps write an entry. We are all here for you. If he has any questions about the sub. I will try and answer them. ( - removed - please read and follow the posting rules - )

Hugs to both of you,
    emily's mom

Last edited by moderator2; 06-04-2005 at 07:01 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #32
    tony_b

tony_b HB User
    Re: Need advice please! My BF is trying to come off vicodin

Jackie,

How is Scott doing? I have not talked to you in a while and I hope everything is going well for you! Talk to you later!

Tony_b

Closed Thread