It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

waking up too early

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
hpd
(female)

hpd HB User
waking up too early

One week clean! I feel great except for the anxiety. I have been waking up at 4 or 5 in the a.m. lately. All these thoughts keep racing through my mind giving me anxiety attacks and I can't go back to sleep. Even now as I write this my heart is kind of racing. I already take 1 zanax/day for anxiety so I know it must be pretty bad. Anyone else experience this, and if so does it go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
NoMore4Me
(male)

NoMore4Me HB User
Re: waking up too early

I think we all went through that, I had a hard time falling alseep only to wake up at 5am, good news is that you will be normal again soon, I sleep well and on my days off I sleep untill 9am now..

day 36 4Me

Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
lori j
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd
One week clean! I feel great except for the anxiety. I have been waking up at 4 or 5 in the a.m. lately. All these thoughts keep racing through my mind giving me anxiety attacks and I can't go back to sleep. Even now as I write this my heart is kind of racing. I already take 1 zanax/day for anxiety so I know it must be pretty bad. Anyone else experience this, and if so does it go away?

I am on my last taper of Klonopin & each time I cutback I had the same problem. The nite before last, I only slept 5 hours, once I wake up, I cannot go back to sleep either. I'm a person who is used to 10 hrs sleep or more, so I'm dragging all the time.

It takes time for your brain to reset, even though you are one week clean, it's still in your body, give it time, I've been told that the good days start to out number the bad ones eventually!

Old 06-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
hpd
(female)

hpd HB User

thanks guys...I was able to sleep in until 7:00 today! Still a lot of heart racing and needing to take deep breaths, but other than that I honestly feel great. I'm not the most patient person but you're right it's only been a week!

Old 06-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
lori j
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Did you have the headaches too? I am having horrible migraine type headaches with this w/d. No sleep & horrible head pain, what fun!

Old 06-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
Suz123
(female)

Suz123 HB User

hello, i have been on pain pills off and on for the last 6 years. The last 2 years have been the worst. I am just ended day 4 of being clean so I guess I am starting day 5. I still feel like crap. I also have been waking up earlyyyyyyyy. the insomnia and anxiety are kicking my butt. not to mention the achy muscles all over. So on what day did you start feeling better? I keep telling myself tomorrow will be better so I hope day 5 is better than day 4.

Congrats on staying clean.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 AM   #7
hpd
(female)

hpd HB User

fortunately no migraines for me, but feeling my back and neck pain for the first time narcotic free isn't so much fun . I just keep thinking if w/d is making me feel this way then the drugs must have really been doing a number on my system. Somehow thinking about that makes it a little better knowing that I am cleaning out my body. Good luck..."this too shall pass."

Old 06-02-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
FullCircle08
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Hang in there --there is light at the end of THAT tunnel. I am on day 10 and i feel great. My sleeping patterns are almost normal. I can remember all to well the 4 -5 am wake-up call. i couldnt go back to sleep. Restless legs and mild anxiety. It will pass. do not reach for a pill though. Go for a walk, etc. embrace the waking up --actually its a very pretty time of the day. When I was a pill head, i dint even know that time existed! good luck and hang in there. It feels great when you do.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:31 AM   #9
Suz123
(female)

Suz123 HB User

First off, Congrats on staying clean. Isn't there a saying something like "if you do something for 21 days then it becomes a habit" Well staying clean is of course a good habit. I read where you said of how you were thinking about things and it gave you anxiety. Whenever I try to go to sleep, it is like I can't shut my brain off. I think of my past or what I have to do, and bam, rapid heartbeat, hot and tingly, sweating. Never fails. I think that is why I dread going to sleep. And maybe the other problem with my sleeping is I have made a horrible habit out of staying up late and sleeping till whenever. When I took pills I didn't want to go to sleep because I felt I was wasting the high. Was anyone else like that or am I just wierd. I didn't think I was stable enough to have a job because what a mess I would be without my pills. (missing work, getting fired, mood swings, EEKKKK) What a horrible way to live. I am looking back now that my head is getting pretty clear and kicking myself in the butt. I'm like oh my gosh, did I really do that. How embarrasing. I have medicated myself for so long I forgot what it was like to feel pain. I'm ending day 5 now and am having pains I didn't even know existed.

Meddguy>I'm also enjoying the early mornings (somedays, depending on how the night before was). I actually felt like I haven't wasted the day away. I'm trying to get back on a schedule and may be pushing myself to hard. My friends and husband keep saying, "now you need to take baby steps, take it day by day) Instead of waking up at 12, I am out doing something looking at my watch like wow time for lunch hehe...

I have found that drinking lots of water and yes exercise have helped me. It hurts but it is sooo good for you. I think something like after you take pain killers for so long it makes your body quit producing endorphins (your bodies natural pain killers) since it has been getting them everyday. I believe they come back after time. I think I read that somewhere but someone please let me if i'm wrong. The other times I went through withdrawal I just laid around. This time I have made myself get up and do something. I'm not saying I did much but a couple of times a day I would get up and walk around.

I know I have said this a number of times and will probably say it a million more times but thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. It is helping me with my motivation and strength and I'm sure it is helping and has helped millions of others.

Suzannah

Old 06-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
hpd
(female)

hpd HB User

Suzanna-I go through exactly the same thing! It IS like you cannot turn your mind off! Last night was soooo much better. I worked out with a trainer yesterday and she kicked my *** ! I fell asleep around 5:00 in the evening, woke back up at 10:30 for about 20 minutes and miraculously I was able to go back to sleep all the way until 6:30.
I'm on day 11 and I keep feeling better every day. Of course I can barely walk today but it "hurts good!"
I remember planning my entire life around taking my pills. You and I are a lot alike. Pill popping was interfering in my life in so many ways. I never wanted to "waste" my high either. I was constantly calculating when I was going to take a pill so I would feel a certain way at a certain time. The crazy thing is that I didn't ALWAYS feel that great even when I did pop a pill. It was kind of like a gamble...will this make me feel good or am I going to puke? I thought they made me more social, but really they had the opposite effect. If I didn't have the right amount of drugs in me I didn't want to be around anyone. Talk about being flaky!
My daughter is invited to a birthday party this Sunday. If I were still using I would be stressed out about "what if I run out and I have to be around people while I'm jonesing." Guess who would suffer there if I did run out...my daughter, because I would have been so self involved in my pill popping I wouldn't have taken her. if I was out. Now I am actually looking forward to it.
You are going to keep feeling better I PROMISE. You sound like you are doing all the right things. Baby steps is great advice. I am learning to say no to people and take the time I need for myself. For instance, I never used to spend this much time on the computer, but this board has been a huge part of my recovery so I choose to do this...the floor will still be dirty when I'm done (unfortunately ) I am choosing to not talk to people who stress me out or don't support me...I highly recommend this.
I hope you are right about the endorphins. I think you are because I can't believe how well I feel and I attribute a lot of that to excersize. I walk my dog every morning now on top of going to the gym (another bonus of quitting...my lovely dog gets more attention now that I am not in a drug haze all the time.) I am hoping that with excersize I can speed up the process of endorphin production. I agree with drinking lots of water too. I had also pretty much quit eating except for maybe one time a day, so proper nutrition has been key for me. Especially when it comes to having energy...hmmmmm what a novel concept, eat food for energy instead of popping a pill . My trainer told me that if I don't gain 2 lbs. by the end of next week she won't work with me...WAKE UP CALL!
It sounds like you have your head in the right place. Even if just getting up to walk around is all you can do that's better than doing nothing. Keep up the good work, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
meddguy-I am right there with you. It feels so great doesn't it? Keep up the good work!

Closed Thread