It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2005, 03:14 AM   #1
Azrael
(male)

Azrael HB User
Question Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms?

Hello,

I was a 30 year old male when I went to the hospital for acid reflux. The doctor asked me if I drank because my blood was a little thin. I told her yes and from that point forward decided I would drink no more. I used to drink at least 3 times a day and a 12 pack on the weekend. I drank like that for almost 2 years. I also took a blood test for my pancreas and the doctor said it was a little high.

Two days later I was sitting at my computer. Felt superfluous all the day. All of a sudden my heart rate was beating to fast. I felt I like my heart was trying to jump out of my chest. Called an ambulance. Heart rate was 125+ resting and blood pressure was 153/111. They did a EKG and said it was normal.

The first time they did the EKG when I went for the acid reflux; I was told it was inconclusive. Meanwhile at present, in the hospital, my heart rate slowed a bit. Felt better after about 2 hours. Doctor there referred me to a cardiologist. Decided to stop drinking caffeine and aspertame containing soda altogether.

Recently I have felt strange sensations that seem to move up and down to on my chest neck, back of head and right side of face. I take Atenolol for the BP and Protonix for the acid reflux. Not sure if these drugs are causing this feeling. Did X-ray of head and neck (normal)

Before I started taking the Atenolol (Beta Blocker) at times I could actually feel the blood rush to my head. Red veins started to appear in my eyes. This would last for hours. Also at times started shivering in normal temperature. Lasted for about 30 minutes.

I have warm spots on my skin that appear periodically on my neck, chest and abdomen. And when these sensations go away they feel cool and I feel better. Doctors did a chest X-ray that turned out normal. They did Upper Endoscopy and I was told I had excessive acid in stomach. I thought for sure my Thyriod was causing the hypertension but the test came back negative. I'm going to do another one because I read they can be inaccurate. Probably a home test kit this time.

Took blood test for liver and since doctor said nothing I assumed it was OK. In the process of getting tested for hyperparathyroidism and the H. Pylori Bacteria. Going to tell my doctor of my concerns about alcohol withdrawal. Can anyone tell me if this is alcohol withdrawal or something else or both? Has anyone had these symptoms or know someone who has? Any feedback would be helpful. Hope to here from you.

Azrael

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 06-06-2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
scaryskimomm
(female)

scaryskimomm HB User
Re: Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms?

Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. You don't say how long it has been since you had even a little alcohol. I know that when I was in Detox/Rehab my resting pulse did not go below 118 and my blood pressure was also higher than normal. While I don't know how all Detox/Rehab facilities work, I do know that the few that I went to did give me Lithium and Neurontin to quell the withdrawal symptoms and control possible alcohol withdrawal convulsions (luckily I never had a convulsion from withdrawal). You are doing the right thing by seeing doctors, however you do have to be honest about your drinking with any and all doctors that you see, please do not gloss over anything as you will only be withholding information that could be crucial to your diagnosis. Best of luck to you and hope that your health improves.

Scary

Old 06-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
tony_b

tony_b HB User

Hey if you think you are having "D.T."'s Delerium Tremors, then you seriously need to get some help with that as they can be fatal. It sounds like you are were a "steady" drinker and your brain/body is used to having the alcohol. In short, you should probably be monitored through this... GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
Azrael
(male)

Azrael HB User
Question Re: Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms?

Dear Scary Skimomm,

First of all, thank you for replying. It is scary when something is happening to you and you don't know what it is. I have some questions for you but first, It has been about 7 weeks since my last drink.I
drank a couple beers between then to see if that would make these symtoms go away a little, but it did no good. The doctors did ask me if I drank and I told them yes but they didn't seem to be concerned about the drinking. I guess they don't consider 3 beers a day alot.

You see, I never felt I had a problem that is why I did not really volunteer the info to the doctors. But looking from the outside in, I believe I drank to much. Can you tell me how long did you have the high blood pressure for? Do you think the shivering I had could be the very same convulsions you are talking about? Believe me, I just want to feel like myself again S.S.,I 'm willing to tell any doctor anything so they can cure me.

I know one thing, If I get through this; This going to to change my life completely. I'm going to be a new man. You can post a reply here or if you want you can give me your e-mail as well. Also I would like to thank Tony B for your reply. It too was helpful.

AZRAEL

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 06-06-2005 at 11:50 AM. Reason: The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
scaryskimomm
(female)

scaryskimomm HB User

Well, I am no doctor. And as for shivering - maybe those are tremors. I am not qualified to answer those type of questions. Convulsions, I did witness an aquaintance at Detox have one, are much more than tremors or shivers. My withdrawal symptoms did subside after 5 days or so in the Detox, but again, everyone is different. I hope that you find the answers that you are seeking. I know for me personally to stay sober and live the life I want and deserve to live, I NEED AA meetings. Following the 12 steps and asking GOD every day to relieve me of the obsession to drink is the way to go for me. Good luck to you.

Scary

Old 06-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
TheHappyMan
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
Dear Scary Skimomm,

First of all, thank you for replying. It is scary when something is happening to you and you don't know what it is. I have some questions for you but first, It has been about 7 weeks since my last drink.I
drank a couple beers between then to see if that would make these symtoms go away a little, but it did no good. The doctors did ask me if I drank and I told them yes but they didn't seem to be concerned about the drinking. I guess they don't consider 3 beers a day alot.

You see, I never felt I had a problem that is why I did not really volunteer the info to the doctors. But looking from the outside in, I believe I drank to much. Can you tell me how long did you have the high blood pressure for? Do you think the shivering I had could be the very same convulsions you are talking about? Believe me, I just want to feel like myself again S.S.,I 'm willing to tell any doctor anything so they can cure me.

I know one thing, If I get through this; This going to to change my life completely. I'm going to be a new man. You can post a reply here or if you want you can give me your e-mail as well. Also I would like to thank Tony B for your reply. It too was helpful.
Hello Azrael - if it's been 7 weeks since your last drink you cant POSSIBLY be having withdrawl symptoms..... Futhermore, 3 Beers a day is not very much alcohol, I doubt very much whether 3 bears a day could ever cause physical withdrawl symptoms..... if youre feeling bad it's probably from something else unrelated to alcohol......

Many of the Docs out there are drinking 3 beers or more when they get home at night...

At least thats my take on this. Good Luck

Old 06-08-2005, 03:36 AM   #7
Azrael
(male)

Azrael HB User

Dear Happy Man,

Maybe I was exaggerating a bit. Somtimes it was 3 beers a day and sometimes it was more. But on the weekends it was always more. I read that all the body needs to suffer withdrawal symptoms is 2-6 pints a day and I definitely qualify. Nonetheless I am going to my doctor and get his take on the situation. Everybody reacts to alcohol in different ways. Right now I feel alright, just have a little uncomfortable feeling in my face head and neck.

Azrael

Old 06-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #8
TheHappyMan
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
Dear Happy Man,

Maybe I was exaggerating a bit. Somtimes it was 3 beers a day and sometimes it was more. But on the weekends it was always more. I read that all the body needs to suffer withdrawal symptoms is 2-6 pints a day and I definitely qualify. Nonetheless I am going to my doctor and get his take on the situation. Everybody reacts to alcohol in different ways. Right now I feel alright, just have a little uncomfortable feeling in my face head and neck.

Azrael
I am glad you are feeling better - are you sure they were not referring to pints of hard liquor ???????? Because 3 beers is nowhere near even 1 pint of hard liquor........
But it wont hurt to talk to your doc..... 3 beers is only about 4 1/2 ounces of ethanol (alcohol). Again, good luck there.

Closed Thread