It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Suboxone tapering........

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #46
    TrampyG
    (male)

TrampyG HB User
    Re: Suboxone tapering........

Subutex. Buprenorhpine. Or Suboxone which is bup + naloxone. It's like watered down methadone -- I would not recommend. It is basically no easier to kick than whatever you are on. Either way, you are going to eventually get a little sick, be depressed and feel like s***. I had a 150mg hydrocodone habit, went to 12mg/day of bup, now am at only 2mg bup/day and cannot move from there without feeling horrendous. I want to kill my Fn doctor who promised me that I would easily be able to kick the bup and feel great. Most bup docs tell you that and they are quite simply wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #47
    CromeYellow

CromeYellow HB User

Exactly. Bup is just as hard to kick as heroin when it comes right down to it. No one should be on any of that stuff any longer than needed to get off the street drugs, in my opinion.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:35 PM   #48
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User

Hi, I havent been on as my comp. was taken hostage by adware. i am using my daughters laptop now My doc wants me to stay on the "less than 1 mg. of sub" that I take as it I don't my chronic depression comes back. So, I will wait while I try some different anti depressants. i have been on Effexor for a few years and perhaps it is not effective anymore. Sub is being studied in Europe as an anti depressant and it does work that way in me. I trust my doc and her advice.

me

Old 07-26-2005, 03:59 AM   #49
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Done..
    Ive been thinking of you..good to hear from you..
    They are using suboxone on refractory depression..(and its helping people)
    I wish my dr. was as sympathetic.
    They will ply you w/ every AD on earth..
    but..thats good honey..hey..if you are feeling better on(as i am)-go for it.
    Lynn is staying on..her dr. feels the same..
    i don't know how im actually coming off this..
    i really considering a rehab for at least a month.
    How do i pull this off?
    ggrl

Old 07-26-2005, 07:35 AM   #50
    Twinlynn
    Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Hi, DWD - Thanks for your message!

Yes, doctors seem split on the question of staying on Sub. My doctor thinks that the patient should be part of the decision. Some patients are uncomfortable with even the idea of having a drug in their system....and others are so relieved not to be battling the opiate cravings, anymore, that this is not an issue.

And, then, there are those like me, who feel as if they've emerged from some low-grade depression they had been in for much of their lives. My antidepressants help enormously...but the Sub seems to have lifted the fog for me. (I don't argue about Sub being a "drug" itself--both my doctor and I know that. But she does research on Sub....and sees it emerging as a possible new antidepressant for those who have suffered all their lives.)

So, DWD, I just wanted to let you know that there are others staying on Sub for now, because it waylaid their chronic depression. :-)

Goddessgrl - As I've mentioned before, you may be the very first Sub patient doing a one-month detox off it! :-) But, if being with others in a focused environment is what may "do it" for you--than it's something to seriously consider. Even if your own focus at a rehab--your entering rehab to get off a drug you took to get OFF a drug--will be somewhat different from your "housemates"--you can still be part of the exploration of why we get on--and stay on--drugs in the first place.

I have yet to understand my former 4-6 hydros-a-day guiltless habit! (Due to certain circumstances, they were available to me without an Rx or having to purchase them...and, until I "moved up" to the dreaded oxys, I was pretty much living my life as I had before I was ever introduced to a pill!! (Back pain.)

Anyway, a month-long rehab, amongst caring people, may be a good chance to explore lots of feelings. It's much harder on our own--even with loving family. You should talk with the head of some rehab place that you trust to be honest about how a live-in experience might help, in your specific (unusual) detox. (After all...you would be detoxing from a doctor-prescribed drug you took to detox in the first place!)

Anyway, with Sub still in the exploratory stage, there will continue to be debates about the physical and mental effects of it...and, for some, the philosophical aspect of it. Taking into account my lifelong depression, I feel secure in my mind choosing to stay (for now) on a drug that has helped conquer it and has given me some peace of mind!

take care, Lynn :-)

Last edited by Administrator; 07-18-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #51
    vdospec
    (male)

vdospec HB User

I am down to .81 a day, how many did you decrease over the 2 month period for example to get to .2?

Old 11-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #52
    vdospec
    (male)

vdospec HB User

How much did you reduce per week? I am at .81 a day now.

[QUOTE=Done with Drugs]Hi all,

I have been on Sub. for over a year. I tried two months ago to just quit at 2 mgs and did have the horrible, w.d.'s. I went to see my doc. and he told me that you must taper down after being on it for so long. So, I am now down to approx. .2 mgs (NOT 2mgs!) My problem is it is hard for me to cut the tab any smaller without it breaking up into a powder. It is hard to put this

Old 11-27-2005, 04:30 AM   #53
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

hi vdospec..
    I tapered down to bits..you can come down to...a half/quarter..lil pieces..off..each dose change has its stabilisation period of a couple days..
    my detox tho long has been tolerable..i was on maitainence for 2 yrs.
    i haven't had any sub/opiates since mid october.
    coming off of 2 mgs..is still too high..thats why you felt so bad..
    wean down some more..don't rush..it works.
    you'll be ok..i was really afraid of w/d but when i did i was surprised at the differance-between coming off sub/and full agonist opiates.
    Good luck!!You can do it!
    peace/ggrl

Closed Thread