It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Suboxone tapering........

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User
    Thumbs up Suboxone tapering........

Hi all,

I have been on Sub. for over a year. I tried two months ago to just quit at 2 mgs and did have the horrible, w.d.'s. I went to see my doc. and he told me that you must taper down after being on it for so long. So, I am now down to approx. .2 mgs (NOT 2mgs!) My problem is it is hard for me to cut the tab any smaller without it breaking up into a powder. It is hard to put this powder under your tongue. I went and read sub. info on these boards, and found an entry from an addiction doc. in the U.K. He stated that they have been using the sub. there for a long time and that after you taper very low, you can switch to Nalextrone (which is the opiate blocker in Suboxone) and your withdrawal is shortened to only a few days. I would imagine, the lower the dose that you "jump off" of Sub. the less you would feel any symptoms.

I am going to contact my doc today and ask him about the Nalextrone and if he approves, I, of course, will try it. I will keep everyone here posted on this.

Has anyone on this board been able to find a way to cut a 2 mg. tab into smaller than .1 mgs.? If so, please post a reply.

Someone, previously, while posting on a sub. thread said that they did not understand why one would trade one opiate for an even worse one (sub) well, for me, it was not worse, it was a miracle. If I had not been on it, I would still be, I am sure, chasing that hydro. high. Now, I am free and will remember the journey I have been on and that I NEVER want to go down that road again. The sub gave me the power to STOP forever a habit that was definitely slowly killing me.

Have a great day!!

Linda

p.s. a little "hint". I have found, while tapering so low, that taking my sub. just before bed that I don't experience the "restless, jumpy, leg syndrome" that I find to be one of the most annoying symptoms of any opiate withdrawal. The small dose that I take seems to wear off slightly after about 15 hours or so. So, if I take it at night, I don't feel any symptoms at all and fall asleep nicely. I have no problem the next day. Hope this helps someone else!

emily's mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User
    Talking Re: Suboxone tapering........

Hi,
    Well, I have not reached my doc yet. The receptionist was not able to ask him my question regarding the Naltextrone taking away the sub. withdrawals and allowing one to withdraw from it in a few days. I am going to stop in his office and speak with him myself. It was too complicated a question for the office person to ask him as she wanted me to explain it directly to him.

Even though I have not had any replies to my post, I know that many of you are on the sub. and need all the information that is available. Therefore, I will keep posting what I am able to find out.

Also, Because I happened to fall asleep early last night, I did not take my usual daily dose of .2 mgs. (not 2 mgs) last night. I feel perfectly fine right now although, it may be, that it is still in my system. It has been almost 40 hours since my last dose. I am going to wait until this evening and if I do feel some w.d. symptoms (Those darn restless legs!) I will of course take my dose, if not, I will just play it by ear. I hope that someone is at least reading this as there are so many of you who have suffered or are terrified to stop the sub. due to bad experiences of others. Of course if you try to stop without tapering, that will of course happen.

I'll keep in touch so that hopefully I can help others to withdraw from sub in the totally painless way that I am. I have to say, that since I have gone slowly, there have been virtually no symptoms.

I know many are maintaining on the sub for long periods of time. Please, feel no shame on that. I probably would do that too if I could afford it. It is a wonderful drug that does no damage to your body and for many is the key to never, ever, use drugs again, perhaps avoiding an early death.

Love to all of you on this journey,

Linda

Old 06-09-2005, 04:05 AM   #3
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User
    Re: Suboxone tapering........

Thanks linda..i hope you know-that i appreciate your posts-and look forward to hear about your taper..im in there too-but kinda stuck-at .5-everyother day dosing-just made me feel too depressed right now.
    if it sounds like a cop out it..very well could be..i just know-how much the sub works on my depression..
    But like i told you-im here for you..checkin in most a.m...
    I think you are doing great..tapering is hard-coming off-even harder..
    im working on it..
    healing/peace to you..
    ggrl

Old 06-09-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
    alegre
    (male)

alegre HB User

Hello all,
    I'm a new member as of today and need help and may be possibly able to help other's. I blew off a 3 year clean streak about 50 days ago when finding out I'd probably need surgery for a neck/arm problem. Anyway I quickly jumped on the Hydro wagon and ended up consuming massive amounts. I'm close to Mexico so ways able to get some darvon and .2mg Temgesic (buprenorphine) but only 10 tabs. I'm a member of another board and I've been sharing with them what I've been going through but basically I went from hydro to darvon (06/05/05 to 06/09/05) and then temgesic (which is working just fine). I was sent some "halves" of supposedly 8 mg Suboxone. They look orange, hexagon, and look like they have an "S" (or possibly an "8") and a "N" on them. I can't make out anything else. I really want to make sure so I can adjust accordingly being as .4mg seems to be enough for at least 12 hours so far. If anyone can confirm this I would appreciate it. My next plan is to slowly taper off of this. I was really surprised how well .4mgs worked so I don't want to do more then that and possibly worsen the whole tapering thing. Then again I only have 6 more of the 0.2mg Temgesic so any help confirming the identification (2 or 8 mg Suboxone) would really help meout a LOT!
    Thanks......

Last edited by alegre; 06-09-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User

Hi Alegre,

Your description does sound like an 8 mg. tab of suboxone. You said that you had been taking half of that which would be 4 mgs. NOT .4 mgs. .4 mgs. would be four tenths of a milligram. I started out over a yr. ago at 2, 8 mg. tabs per day. Then I tapered over time without really noticing. I am now at two tenths of a milligram. What this means is, if you take a 1 mg. piece of sub and divide it into ten equal pieces, I take two of those pieces. I tapered to this from a 2 mg. a day. It has taken me two months to get this low. I have no w.d. at all waiting sometimes more that twenty four hours between. But, I am going to continue tapering and also speak with my doctor about a medication that I mentioned in an earlier entry that lets you ease off the sub. in just a few days. I will post on this board any and all info that I find out. Please, any of you reading this who take sub. don't be afraid, just follow what your body needs and go as slow as you need to. This is not a contest it is an accomplishment.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
    alegre
    (male)

alegre HB User

Hi DD, and thanks for the reply.
    I was sent some "halves" of Sub.8mg tabs from a another member and was just confiming what it sounds like they are from what I can read and see. So baically I have a bunch of pieces that are probably between 3 and 5mgs. The ones I have been taking, though, are the 0.2mg Temgesics.......2 of them at a time and did 1 mg total today......or 5 tabs. When I wrote that I had only taken 2, or .4 mgs but have since taken 3 more (a total of 5 tabs at 0.2mg each so 1mg). I don't know where I'll end uo tomorrow but probably around the same as today being as I just started last night and trying to find the right, and lowest, amount that works for me. At this rate it sounds like I'm doing about 1/4 of one of these "halves", so I think I'm in pretty good shape. I wouldn't be surprised if I go up a little bit from here (like to 2mg) but if these are really pieces of eights then I'm in pretty good shape. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!
    I'll be doing the same......posting as things change!
    Thanks!

Old 06-10-2005, 04:03 AM   #7
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User
    Exclamation Re: Suboxone tapering........

Oh Alegre!!
    I just finished posting you a reply that took me about twenty minutes, then I must have hit some button and poof, it's gone.

Suffice it to say that you are doing great. I guess the pills that you have, Temoreki? are what is prescribed for pain. Upon researching buprenorphine, I learned that the usual dose for moderate to severe pain is .03 mgs, every six hours. This is actually equal to 10 mgs. of morphine. That is as far as it's attachment to your opiate receptors. It attachess itself to your receptors and stays there much longer than the short acting opiates like Vicodin. So, if you were to try and take a pain pill while on the sub. there would be no effect. You would have to go off the sub. and wait a week or so, so to do that we would have to actually PLAN a relapse a week or more ahead. Now, I have done some stupid things, but I would not do that.

I am concerned that you are getting your sub from another person rather than a doctor. First of all, it is illegal and you will be put in jail, if caught, but secondly, there are many wonderful addiction doctors around who will prescribe it to you and support you during your taper. You are almost there, but in case you get some residual symptoms, he could help. At night I take something called Seroquel, it is totally non addictive and just relaxes me into a normal drowsy sleepiness, not like Ambien, which is a sleeping pill I tred.

Please post to me anytime, I will check a couple times every day.

I am so impressed with the people I have met on this board. This would really be a wonderful subject for a show like Oprah. I would want to approach her with my story, my many, many failures to quit and then finally how so many of us have used Suboxone to not only detox, but to have time to think rationally about my life and my family. I know that if I had not found the sub. I would be dead or in jail, I am absolutely sure of it. I feel I missed a lot of my daughters years in high school do to my drug obsession, I also ended up spending thousands of dollars on internet pharmacies, etc.

The use of this board is also a subject that I would want to let people know about. You see, I have no one that supports me emotionally at home in this regard. Mainly, because my husband got so very disgusted when I continued to relapse, he felt, if I wanted to, I could, so he came to the conclusion that I didn't want to, which wasn't true, I wanted to with all my heart, but the sub has allowed me to do it and I am so very thankful

Sweetie please post me everyday and let me know how you're doing.

Linda

ps.What state do you live in?? Are you married, boyfriend, any pets, in scho ol?

Old 06-10-2005, 04:31 AM   #8
    kandyguinn
    (female)

kandyguinn HB User
    Question Re: Suboxone tapering........

Hi. I just found this site this morning and was reading the threads on sub. tapering. I am in a methadone program in my area and was wondering if the sub. was anything like the meth.? I have heard good and bad things about sub., But I haven't talked to anyone on it personally.Do you have any information or can you tell me where to find some on Suboxone. Thank you very much and good luck with everything. Thanks Kandy

Old 06-10-2005, 05:44 AM   #9
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Hey Linda-How are you today..
    I can't refill till tommorow-so im trying to split the 8 mgs-and im lazy-and i don't know how much im actually taking..
    I know its probably like 1-mg or more..but ill get the 2's tommorow..
    taking a bigger piece..im feeling it-wow..no wonder im so tired all the time..im flying right now..this is strong medication-i can't believe i was on 8 mgs of this..no wonder i was running around w/ tons of energy..
    just a slight increase and its like im fired up..
    I just wanted to tell you-how great your doing..and support you..
    peace..
    ggrl

Old 06-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #10
    alegre
    (male)

alegre HB User

Hi Linda (and everyone else)
    Can't write much right now (at work) but yes....I recieved some from a friend but have an appt. Monday with a bupe doc. I was a little concened with the illegality of taken it when not prescribed but was pretty desperate. I'm not only please with how well it's working (Temgesic......same as Subutex only much weaker....o.2mg./tab) but also with how fast I was able to get an appointment. I'm not sure what he/she will be asking or if they want a UA but anyway......I'm set for this next Monday. Yes!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
    alegre
    (male)

alegre HB User

I've only been on sub for a couple of days. The first day I got by with 0.9mgs. Today I'm up to 1.5 I think.......not sure why but I'm only doing it to stay reasonably well, not high. So I'm guessing 2mg may be the most I'd need but I guess the next couple of days will answer that (appt in 3 days). I have enough until then. I've never been on a run this short so am flying a litle blind here but not so blind with this, and another boards, help. A 45-50 day run (this last one) is a lot different then a 8 year one 1994-2002 but i still went down FAST!
    I just turned 56, have been an addict as long as I can remember with some clean time ......5 years, 10 years, and then the last 3 years. I've never been on methadone but have been on buprenorphine before but was making no attempt to control it. This time its different. All the other times have basically been ct....so this is new territory for me. You guys....and the other board.....keep reminding me that I want to use this as a tool to get off completely......not just maintanacce and so long as I stay honest about it and TALK to people here and elsewhere I think I'll be ok.
    Someone asked where to get suboxone.....check out this site

http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/aboutphysician.htm

It answers a lot of questions and can locate docs in your area certified to prescribe suboxone or subutex. Sorry if this has already been posted.....I'm new here

Old 06-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Suboxone tapering........

Hi Alegre..

I am 54 myself. I became addicted to Lortabs about six yrs. ago. I was prescribed them for migraines, but then realized that my chronic depression was gone when I took them..And so it goes.

As far as using sub for maintenance or just to help with getting off drugs. That is up to you. You have been using for so long that maintenance may just be the key to freedom from drugs forever for you. Don't let what anyone else says on the boards influence you. You do what you know in your heart is right. Frankly, I would love to just take a really small maintence dose forever to insure that I won't ever relapse, but it is expensive and I truly believe that I will not use again. But, like all addicts, the potential will always be there.

I'll talk with you tomorrow.
    Good Night!

Old 06-11-2005, 05:35 AM   #13
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

I find this very interesting-to know-we are dealing w/ these issues after years of abuse..or use..and finally as we approach or are in our mid-age..we are ready to quit..
    I was ready to quit 10 years ago..LOL!!!
    But..this is the beauty of sub..we have a chance now...the relapse aspect of addiction-is what makes it go on..forever..it seems..
    I used to walk into the supermarket-see all the people shopping..and think-why can't i be like them..just regular folks..they don't need to do drugs so they can-do their errands..but you know-i bet many of them are like us..
    Just people..trying to deal w/ their life plus addiction..
    Its the guilt/(being an addicted parent)never felt right..i was always struggling to get clean for my child..
    high functioning..literally..
    I hope we all get the chance to learn to live our life w/out...
    Therapy is essential...
    peace.
    ggrl

Old 06-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #14
    Done with Drugs
    (female)

Done with Drugs HB User
    Question Re: Suboxone tapering........

Hi Friends,

I am still taking between .02 and .01 mgs of the sub a day. I had earlier posted that I had read of the use of Nalextrone (Narcan) for allowing one to stop sub. in just a couple days.

I have not yet been able to speak with my doc. on this However, there is a doc. in N.Y.C. who uses an eight day taper and that takes you off the sub with no withdrawals. I am going to ask my doc about this also. Frankly, if I knew how many to take on this taper, I would do it myself as I have the medication he uses (Darvon) which I was given for a root canal. I never used it as I was on the sub. and 800 mgs of Ibuprofen worked fine.

Does anyone have ANY info on tapering with Darvon or Darvocet to get off of the sub? I don't even know if I would have any w.d's if I just stopped the sub now as I have not read of any one else stopping after tapering as low as I have. My reason for wanting off now is the cost. I have about 5, 2mgs. tabs left. So, theoretically, I could just continue to take less and less until the amount isn't even measurable and then stop. I e mailed this doc in New York who had written on his website about using a Darvon taper to stop the sub. Of course, he said that I should come to N.Y.C. and he would prescribe it for me. While my family usually does go to N.Y. every summer. I am not going to pay a doctor to give me a prescription for something I already have. For obvious reasons, he did not tell me how much to take for the eight days. I will make an appt. with my own doc. after I have tapered as I described above. I will keep you all posted. A couple of days I forgot to take my sub. and had no symptoms, but then, they may have come if I would have gone a day or two more.

Has anyone on this board stopped from .01 mgs. a day of sub??

Look forward to replies guys.

Last edited by Done with Drugs; 06-14-2005 at 03:55 PM.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:43 AM   #15
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Linda..
    Hi ...
    You are ready to do it...01 mg..is perfect..to step off-its amazing you got that low..great..no..OUTSTANDING..work..and it is work..!!!LOL..
    You could use darvon..as its a lowball opiate..(w/m'done..qualities)..if you are hurting.
    Ive read others who have been given darvocet from there docs..
    But the naltextrone..ive heard is the way to go..
    I just want to commend you on your diligence..and honest accounting.
    Im still at .5 and now it looks like.. ill be here till august..my doc says due to depression issues he wants me to stay on-for further tapering..basically down to where you are then jump..
    You are ready physically to do it..id find out about the naltextrone..
    Im in for it..
    I just know this is strong medicine..and when i got on-i thought i was doing great cos i was stabilised at 8 mgs..oh boy..whats that like 240 mgs of morphine..im amazing..lollol!!!
    Im being silly..its no joke cos-im having trouble at .5..and technically-you can do it right now..
    anyways hope your doing ok..
    hang in there girl..
    ggrl

Closed Thread