It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Can this be possible?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Lanie35
(female)

Lanie35 HB User
Can this be possible?

As some of you know from my previous thread(my sister is gone), my sister has a problem with her prescribed medications: oxycodone and morphine which she takes for chronic migraines. Can someone who in the past overused her meds(ran out before her next prescription) and doctor shopped to get more and bought percocets over the internet control her use of her prescribed meds now?

Apparently her husband is giving her the meds. and she told my mom that she hasn't overtaken them this month(she just got a refill last Thursday). I am just so confused and weary about worrying about her. I want to believe that she can control it and everything will be okay but I know that just last month she hit bottom again. I don't know what to do anymore. Advice??????

I also got scared when I was reading some past posts about Happy Father who died in his sleep apparently as a result from his addiction to hydrocodone. Should I just let this month ride and see how things go or should I still bring this up to her?

Lanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 05:24 AM   #2
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Can this be possible?

There is a huge amount of different non narcotic type meds out there that are specific to treating migranes and other types of headaches,has she tried any of those alternatives?Marcia

Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Lanie35
(female)

Lanie35 HB User
Re: Can this be possible?

My sister has been through much of the non-narcotic types of treatment for migraines. Just my opinion, she wants that quick fix. I can't say I blame her. I don't get headaches very often but when I do I want it to go far away!! Most all of the other treatments didn't work for her and my opinion again, she never really gave them much of a chance. Once she found that these drugs(oxycodone and morphine) worked so fast there was no going back. Apparently the pain management doctor is trying to change the pain pathways in her brain. I don't know. We will see. Thanks.

Lanie

Old 06-08-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Done with Drugs
(female)

Done with Drugs HB User
Smile Re: Can this be possible?

Hi Lanie,

I have migraines also, I also became addicted to Vicodin. I used the migraines as an excuse to get the pills, even though other non narcotic means such as a med. called Imitrex relieved my headaches. There were many, many instances when I went to E.R.'s claiming that non of the other medications worked. Clearly, I was an addict and even if I never had another hy,eadache I wanted, craved and searched for a way to get those pills.

Yes, your sister can not only stop her addiction but also, find a solution for her migraines. Howevers, SHE, is the only one who can do it. When I finally realized that this game I was playing would either end in my death or my being in prison, I finally came to the conclusion that I would stop using. I tried many ways of doing this. The easiest way, I think, is cold turkey, preferably with help from a trusted medical doctor. However, although it is easy to get through the withdrawals physically, it is the psychological addiction that is so very hard to recover from. Because of this I am not going to suggest or explain the different recovery programs that have worked well for others. The best way for her to decide which program would fit her, is to have her take a look at the posts on this board. All methods of recovery are represented. This way she will have not only the knowledge but the support to tackle her addiction.

Has she ever told you that she wants to stop? She must have a totally sincere desire to do so or she will just set her self up for failure.

You are a loving and kind sister. Many people become disgusted when family members become drug addicts and want nothing to do with them. Bless you for being so concerned and willing to help her. She will one day appreciate this even though while addicted she may not act like it.

Please keep posting and reading this health board. It has helped me and others immensely. If your sister will check the board out, she will make an amazing discovery....the fact that so many others in ALL walks of life have had the problem and have recovered from it. The secrecy of being addicted is one of it's worst side effects, but to be able to tell the truth about it and begin helping yourself to heal is magical.

Love,
Linda

Closed Thread